Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

In hindsight it's kinda weird that Randy Travis agreed to voice the role of "real person Randy Travis, a liar who steals song lyrics and the accomplishments of others in general then gaslights about it." Other celebrity guest stars can be pretty self-effacing (Chuck Mangione being the common example), but not quite to that extent of allowing their real-life identity to be that associated with jackassery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like the boggle song from the credits a lot

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I appreciated Charlie Daniels cutting in front of Hank and offering to let Hank buy his own drink.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't have a choice, peggy. I've got to drive them the rest of the way.

Hank, if you want to go visit a miniature museum then just come out and say so. I won't tell anyone.

I hate miniatures. I've hated them since I was a kid.

Mom only took them out when she was heading into a funk-- Like, between the time I was ten and 14.

( dale snickering )

enjoy your trip to the miniature museum, hank. Hope you can fit inside.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hank's mom diving into hobbies as escapism really hits different now.

The show really didn't shy away from showing how much it sucked to be a woman of her generation even and especially trying to do everything 'right', the scenes of her and Cotton's marriage are terrifying.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's not uncommon to hear people say that Hank's rigid traditionalism is a coping method from his childhood, since he either forgets about or waves off a lot of what's implied to be a bad home life.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hank had a hell of a childhood, look how absolutely giddy he gets when Cotton tries to stab him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0hEnEP2NB0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bobjr posted:

It's not uncommon to hear people say that Hank's rigid traditionalism is a coping method from his childhood, since he either forgets about or waves off a lot of what's implied to be a bad home life.

Absolutely. He's incredibly emotionally repressed mostly for traumatic reasons but I think especially as a contrast to Cotton- he doesn't want to lose control of his anger and terrorise his family the way he was.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

bobjr posted:

PEGGY: “We cannot leave Cotton alone with Bobby!”

HANK: “Why not?”

PEGGY: “Think about your childhood...”

HANK: “Yeah, you’ve got a point...”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually probably one of the best traits Hank has is when he's parenting: whether or not he's justified or correct, he tends to act proportionally to whatever he considers an offense, explains his reasoning and hear out Bobby's point of view. (Usually)

He doesn't really unpack it much, but he does accept what was done to him and his mother was wrong, and makes an effort not to repeat it.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I think you cut my ear

I think you cry more than the guy I killed out from under that helmet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

High school GH is gonna get sent to the principal for telling someone that his dad killed fifty men.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Asterite34 posted:

In hindsight it's kinda weird that Randy Travis agreed to voice the role of "real person Randy Travis, a liar who steals song lyrics and the accomplishments of others in general then gaslights about it." Other celebrity guest stars can be pretty self-effacing (Chuck Mangione being the common example), but not quite to that extent of allowing their real-life identity to be that associated with jackassery.

I'd have to imagine that Travis just thought it was funny and went along with it. I doubt anyone watching that episode actually thinks Travis is a song stealing jackass (though I know nothing about the real Travis, so maybe he is!) but it's such a funny bit that it'd be a blast to perform.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m guessing there’s probably a lot of perfectly nice IRL artists who think it’s funny to play an rear end in a top hat version of themselves. There was an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia this season where Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul played themselves and they had this very gimmick where they’re outwardly assholes to The Gang when they’d not in front of cameras and Paul was outright abusive towards Cranston.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

All the guest stars in that episodes have an outward appearance of being nice and friendly then do at least sometime kinda jerkish. I don't recall the names because they're country stars but the big bearded guy asks to cut in line in front of hank, asks what he's having when they get to the front then has hank pay for his own drink.
The two dudes Luanne and Bobby talk are nice to them but they get in a fight over sharing the apple brown Betty.

Fits nicely with the theme and is funny.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually probably one of the best traits Hank has is when he's parenting: whether or not he's justified or correct, he tends to act proportionally to whatever he considers an offense, explains his reasoning and hear out Bobby's point of view. (Usually)

He doesn't really unpack it much, but he does accept what was done to him and his mother was wrong, and makes an effort not to repeat it.

Hank is a surprisingly complex and emotionally well thought out character and a rare example of a nuanced portrayal of the working/lower middle class and their experiences

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
that episode is one of the few i think ive seen only like once. I remember liking it though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m guessing there’s probably a lot of perfectly nice IRL artists who think it’s funny to play an rear end in a top hat version of themselves. There was an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia this season where Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul played themselves and they had this very gimmick where they’re outwardly assholes to The Gang when they’d not in front of cameras and Paul was outright abusive towards Cranston.

See also a lot of Simpsons guest stars in the golden years, though they tend to more play weird pathetic mockeries of themselves.

naem posted:

Hank is a surprisingly complex and emotionally well thought out character and a rare example of a nuanced portrayal of the working/lower middle class and their experiences

I think Hank works as a portrayal of a particular model of stoic masculinity that's pretty common in the South, if not universal even among men of the same age and area. And I suspect similarly often used to cover up neuroses, social awkwardness and/or emotional repression.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Hank works as a portrayal of a particular model of stoic masculinity that's pretty common in the South, if not universal even among men of the same age and area. And I suspect similarly often used to cover up neuroses, social awkwardness and/or emotional repression.

they use Hank’s many flaws to tell the stories, he is the butt of many jokes and yet it’s done in a way that is inclusive. You could be a Hank irl and enjoy the show even as it shows progressive themes.

I like it anyways, that kind of thing is pretty rare.

It is not punching down at the characters or judging them, and its not a fox news style conservative trumpet either

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

naem posted:

It is not punching down at the characters or judging them, and its not a fox news style conservative trumpet either

As someone that didn't watch the show until i was into my 30s, and had some Preconceived Notions, that was the most surprising part. Show good.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

naem posted:

well the first few seasons aren't

there are increasingly more 'fox-executive-influenced' episodes season 7 onwards

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aikman takes the snap, a quick pass over the middle to Smith, the 20, the 10, Emmitt Smith scores!

Yes!

Hank Hill?

l wasn't watching. Just for a second. l have no idea what the score is. l couldn't tell you.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hank, accused of defending Troy Aikman more than his own mother at thanksgiving. A mother relentlessly aggravated by Cotton.

“The receivers had 5 drops! All Troy can do is get the ball them!”

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man, Boomhauer really is the only one who might have had a conventionally healthy childhood, huh? Hank had deranged shinless monster Cotton and disocciated Tilly, Bill had his dad's regular spankings and forced crossdressing, and Dale was the social anxiety kid hiding under the lunchroom table and eating bugs for attention. Boomhauer? His dad's a doctor, nobody has an unkind word to say about either of his parents. I guess his younger brother's kind of a shithead? But not in a way that would gently caress up a person for life.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Dang ol’ family values I tell you whut

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

(Louisiana locals conversing in Creole)

Hank: They're speaking some kind of French...?

Peggy: Let me handle this. I speak Spanish. It's the same thing.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

peggy is the best character

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

GolfHole posted:

peggy is the best character

/

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mom?

Bobby?

You really fell out of a plane?

Yes, sir. l did.

Your mom is one of only 16 people who have survived parachutes not opening.

Now, 16 is my estimate. l'll double-check my numbers later

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Mom?

Bobby?

You really fell out of a plane?

Yes, sir. l did.

Your mom is one of only 16 people who have survived parachutes not opening.

Now, 16 is my estimate. l'll double-check my numbers later

Peggy it's over a hundred you aren't special.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Hank remember what I told the doctor, you should not even touch Ladybird

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Man, Boomhauer really is the only one who might have had a conventionally healthy childhood, huh? Hank had deranged shinless monster Cotton and disocciated Tilly, Bill had his dad's regular spankings and forced crossdressing, and Dale was the social anxiety kid hiding under the lunchroom table and eating bugs for attention. Boomhauer? His dad's a doctor, nobody has an unkind word to say about either of his parents. I guess his younger brother's kind of a shithead? But not in a way that would gently caress up a person for life.

He did end up a cop, so chances are there's some sort of domestic abuse in there, or he tortured animals as a kid or something.

naem
May 29, 2011

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
HOT BEWILDERMENT lmao

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
What I have to say will rock your world!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I like the cup holder.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fishstick posted:

Hank remember what I told the doctor, you should not even touch Ladybird

Lines like that make Peggy so good.

Believe me, I prayed on it, Hank and God said to me, "Don't do it. " But you know what? I knew better.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Anti-lock brakes…that’s why they didn’t lock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

"The day before Thanksgiving, in my opinion, is the busiest travel day of the year." Is the quintessential Peggy line.

“I told my readers to harness the cleaning power of ammonia with the whitening power of bleach.” is runner-up.