Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think Stackpole's reputation as a Battletech novel god has been tarnished these days, don't really see much praise for him whenever books come up in the BTech LP threads I follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

I think Stackpole's reputation as a Battletech novel god has been tarnished these days, don't really see much praise for him whenever books come up in the BTech LP threads I follow.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've never read any of it myself so I can't confirm or deny, but knowing how gaming novels can be if he wrote something that would rank as middling for a mainstream novel there's a chance it would be heralded as a work of boundless genius in gaming circles.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
They're fantastic for 'tie-in novels from the 90s.'

But anybody who grew up reading them is going to be reading them through the lens of nostalgia. Anybody that picks one up today, and reads it for the first time, is going to not have that predisposition to like them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I liked a lot of poo poo as a kid, so any kid reading those now would like them too I guess

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
All I know is when I finally got around to trying to read The DaVinci Code my first thought was “Wow, this guy ripped off a Shadowrun novel from the ‘90s.” (Black Madonna)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

While it did rip off a lot from other books, not sure if that would've been one of the sources. :cheeky:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

So in fun news, it appears someone has gotten ahold of the FASA Games rights. Doesn't carry any of the IP any more, but apparently included the physical assets... including a bunch of new old stock SR books.

https://shop.fasagames.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68

Picked up a bunch of stuff I never got around to in like-new condition instead of the ratty versions going for cover price on ebay.

SHADOWS OF NORTH AMERICA
MR JOHNSON'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK
Psychotrope (Novel)
Predator and Prey
Shadowrun Mob War!
Shadowrun: Wolf and Raven (Novel)
CELTIC DOUBLECROSS
DIVIDED ASSETS
Shadowrun: Blood in the Boardroom
Shadowrun: Dreamchipper

Wow, I wonder how they got their meathooks on these? Probably had shared copyright with one of the authors so CGL couldn't publish them, so they came up with a deal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Nah, I'm pretty sure this is old back stock that didn't ship before FASA went under, and got abandoned because only the IP was seen as of any value. The paperbacks have the expected paper aging from storage on the edges and inside covers but are clearly unread. and the sourcebook copyrights are all original print date and credited to FASA.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szmwfkvqRk

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hallelujah Jack is a strong concept for a shadowrun entity tbh

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Lobe posted:

:emptyquote:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mr. Lobe posted:

Maybe its the real entity behind the Halloweeners.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is possible to use cyberware or bioware weapons for martial arts, right? For example a retractable hand blade can be used for any dagger/sword related styles and a whip tail can be used for whip fighting?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

It is possible to use cyberware or bioware weapons for martial arts, right? For example a retractable hand blade can be used for any dagger/sword related styles and a whip tail can be used for whip fighting?

Which edition, and it depends on the maneuver.

If it’s a retractable hand blade, then I’d say yes unless it was silly.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'd say yes especially if it was silly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

weird hosed up gimmick weapons are a mainstay in martial arts media

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's either some stupid poo poo like a belt sword, or just a regular loving carpentry hammer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While you played in the fields or drank in the taverns, I studied the way of the nail file. I know the 17th level kata of the nail file. My nail file is made of folded steel with over a thousand layers. There is no me, and there is no nail file. There is only one.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Monofilament diamond-coated nail file

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
don't care what the street says, im putting Dikote(tm) on my Weapon of Choice: a stepladder

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

don't care what the street says, im putting Dikote(tm) on my Weapon of Choice: a stepladder

Someone get this man a baby.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Dikote on the strings of a tennis racket. Force your enemies through a fine mesh.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Monofilament diamond-coated nail file
Sounds like a cyber-hand plane to me.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Sounds like a cyber-hand plane to me… ok, cyber-two-handed cyber-plane, maybe with the size and all.

secular woods sex posted:

Dikote on the strings of a tennis racket. Force your enemies through a fine mesh.
Sounds like a cyber-hand plane to me, as long as you go for a putting some spin into it.

You gotta be smooth on the streets to keep your rep, and nothing gets things smooth faster than a good plane. Always bet on the plane.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Tippis posted:

Sounds like a cyber-hand plane to me.

Sounds like a cyber-hand plane to me… ok, cyber-two-handed cyber-plane, maybe with the size and all.

Sounds like a cyber-hand plane to me, as long as you go for a putting some spin into it.

You gotta be smooth on the streets to keep your rep, and nothing gets things smooth faster than a good plane. Always bet on the plane.

I see you’re running the Chipbreaker adventure

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

BY GAWD ITS JOHNNY RAZORGUY WITH A DIKOTE STEEL CHAIR

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

smh if you aren't coating your dikote'd steel chair with a DMSO/gamma-scopolamine mixture.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

I notice there’s no one in the IRC channel. Is there a different one or a Discord?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

I notice there’s no one in the IRC channel. Is there a different one or a Discord?
That's from 2013.

And after 6e I don't think there's enough interest to hold an entire goon discord together.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Zereth posted:

That's from 2013.

And after 6e I don't think there's enough interest to hold an entire goon discord together.

Ah ok. Thanks for letting me know.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
alright, ok, there was, wait IS an IRC channel

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright, ok, there was, wait IS an IRC channel
IRC will create the channel if you try to join it even if it doesn't actually exist.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zereth posted:

That's from 2013.

The Edition That Shall Not Be Named.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SR editions don't go above 3 anyway. It causes an integer error something. :colbert:

e: Yes, that — pretty much the same outcome, but expressed with an actual reason and logic behind it.
⬇️

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 10, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
6 is so bad it got me to stop equivocating and just tell people "Stop after FASA gets taken off the books", pretty much. It's not even like 20th or whatever doesn't have playable rules, it's just not worth caring about everything Catalyst did to the setting. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are that reminder that no, this is an interesting setting that can still do cool things. The PnP just isn't going to be the place that happens while it's under Catalyst.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Mulva posted:

6 is so bad it got me to stop equivocating and just tell people "Stop after FASA gets taken off the books", pretty much. It's not even like 20th or whatever doesn't have playable rules, it's just not worth caring about everything Catalyst did to the setting. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are that reminder that no, this is an interesting setting that can still do cool things. The PnP just isn't going to be the place that happens while it's under Catalyst.

I’m running a 5e game in January.

Is that edition ok?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

I’m running a 5e game in January.

Is that edition ok?

It's got problems (for example, if a decker PC loses their deck in some unrecoverable fashion, they will never, ever be able to afford to replace it) but it's not "literally missing critical rules" like 6e.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Zereth posted:

It's got problems (for example, if a decker PC loses their deck in some unrecoverable fashion, they will never, ever be able to afford to replace it) but it's not "literally missing critical rules" like 6e.

Yeah 6e seemed like crap.

I could always figure out how to house rule the irreplaceable deck problem.

Which version of Shadowrun would you recommended?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

3e, to be honest. It's still got that Shadowrun flavour to it.

All editions have Problems. 4e is probably the most polished, but has magic issues.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yeah 6e seemed like crap.

I could always figure out how to house rule the irreplaceable deck problem.

Which version of Shadowrun would you recommended?

3 e is my recommendation for playability. 6e actually works fine if you’re really good at hand waving, making rules judgements on the fly, and make the players promise to never read the book. And apply the new “optional” rules that were in one of the newer 6e supplements. I just tried to look up which one, and the descriptions are so bad I can’t figure it out. On second thought, gently caress 6e, and catalyst.

All editions have the irreplaceable deck problem. If you can acquire a deck through some other means than buying it, it behooves you to do that instead of spending your character creation points on a single piece of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

3 e is my recommendation for playability. 6e actually works fine if you’re really good at hand waving, making rules judgements on the fly, and make the players promise to never read the book. And apply the new “optional” rules that were in one of the newer 6e supplements. I just tried to look up which one, and the descriptions are so bad I can’t figure it out. On second thought, gently caress 6e, and catalyst.

All editions have the irreplaceable deck problem. If you can acquire a deck through some other means than buying it, it behooves you to do that instead of spending your character creation points on a single piece of equipment.
Commlinks are fairly cheap in 4e, IIRC. And I recall it being practical to save up and upgrade your deck in other editions, but 5e massively raised the prices on cyberdecks and cyberware. (Which resulted in, hilariously, one of the most by-the-rules pregens ever made in the street sam in 5e, which IIRC acutally mathed everything out correctly... if you used 4e cyber prices.Making it possibly the least hosed up pregen in the history of the game.)