Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dindt read lOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

indigi posted:

has Denzel ever not been cool in a movie
no

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
He loses his cool in John Q when he takes the hospital hostage. Then he tries to take his heart out to give to his dying son which imo is a pretty cool thing

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

thanks to everyone who encouraged me to watch The Equalizer, rounding into act 3 right now and this movie rules

hell yeah

indigi posted:

hell no

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i saw The Barbie and it was Good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oppenheimer ruled

went to see it with my warrenite friend, my doctrinaire libertarian friend and his pat buchanan conservative dad. we all had such wildly differently takes and all thought it was like a 9/10

gradenko_2000 posted:

more and more people are saying this!!!

lol my ninja edit confirms

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Jul 26, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

oppenheimer ruled

more and more people are saying this!!!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The Russian plot to make nuclear war sound bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goofxist/status/1683961717573951488?t=9gZ2Ww_9jO4vvh0XTC1xDg&s=19

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Smug Kelly:

American Pro-Whedon-ous

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Laterite posted:

Smug Kelly:

American Pro-Whedon-ous

Hydrogen bomb (latest fad)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what if Barbie started with D and was aboit Derbyshire

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/firagawalkwthme/status/1683915665743429632?t=VyOkmE4JAa_VoslTXBY08w&s=19

White feminism is less helpful than political commentary and pisses more people off

But also the majority of people don't give a poo poo because both movies are blockbusters (and Barbie more so)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/firagawalkwthme/status/1683915665743429632?t=VyOkmE4JAa_VoslTXBY08w&s=19

White feminism is less helpful than political commentary and pisses more people off

But also the majority of people don't give a poo poo because both movies are blockbusters (and Barbie more so)
Actually, Barbie is non-woke because Barbie is named after the Butcher of Lyon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/gabby_frost/status/1683875934665945091?t=9V_ZtAKHDpJUpXRDjsYvWQ&s=19

This is a whole thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how is this not a joke

https://twitter.com/gabby_frost/status/1683953349513576456

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

josh04 posted:

speaking of substitutes for human connection, the video essay i've been posting trailers for is done and out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbRQ6MOQWM

I'm 15 minutes into this and it's very good - you should be proud.

(also, you did the Suicide Squad video?! I loved that!)

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

this barbie takes off-label atypical antipsychotics and elephant tranqs

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ok i'm calling it, barbie is inspiring worse discourse than oppenheimer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

shout-outs to all my haloperidol barbies out there

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Augus posted:

shout-outs to all my thalidomide barbies out there

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ok i'm calling it, barbie is inspiring worse discourse than oppenheimer

it's not even close

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this Barbie takes ixempra (sorry)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

drat that'd make a good username

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
my oppenheimer discourse is talking about the USA dropping nukes on little kids and it always succeeds in getting people to stfu about these movies

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Midway through Dark Forest, hearing about the exploits of Luo Ji and waiting for the appearance of his wallbreaker, Wa-Luo Ji

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barbie is a very fun movie with lots of great jokes and performances, it’s a blockbuster with actual set design in the year 2023, and it’s just very well made and visually appealing. But the “social commentary” is scattershot and its core message is very muddled as a result of not wanting to be too subversive of the Barbie brand.
The big point that the movie tries to make is that women shouldn’t be saddled with expectations of being perfect and excellent at everything, they should be allowed to just be normal, flawed people. Which is a fine message but they don’t actually commit to it, at the end of the movie the status quo of Barbie’s world has barely changed aside from them being nicer to the “ugly” Barbie, otherwise it’s still a fantasy utopia where every woman is unrealistically perfect and excellent at everything.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Augus posted:

Barbie is a very fun movie with lots of great jokes and performances, it’s a blockbuster with actual set design in the year 2023, and it’s just very well made and visually appealing. But the “social commentary” is scattershot and its core message is very muddled as a result of not wanting to be too subversive of the Barbie brand.
The big point that the movie tries to make is that women shouldn’t be saddled with expectations of being perfect and excellent at everything, they should be allowed to just be normal, flawed people. Which is a fine message but they don’t actually commit to it, at the end of the movie the status quo of Barbie’s world has barely changed aside from them being nicer to the “ugly” Barbie, otherwise it’s still a fantasy utopia where every woman is unrealistically perfect and excellent at everything.

verdict: liberal.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmZ posted:

verdict: liberal.

very

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

do the barbies actually crush a ken rebellion and make no changes whatsoever to the barbie/ken dichotomy or were people on twitter just getting overexcited

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'll probably wind up seeing the new TMNT movie before either Oppenheimer or Barbie and at this rate might never see either

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

indigi posted:

thanks to everyone who encouraged me to watch The Equalizer, rounding into act 3 right now and this movie rules

denzel has been in some bad movies but he has never been bad in a movie

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's interesting that Denzel really never had interest in doing big IP movies the way Tom Cruise did as that same level of star. Maybe not Marvel poo poo but even something like Mission Impossible that Cruise took over himself and created his own franchise really.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

loquacius posted:

do the barbies actually crush a ken rebellion and make no changes whatsoever to the barbie/ken dichotomy or were people on twitter just getting overexcited

yes this is literally what happens. the movie even goes out of its way to say that the Kens still have no legal or political power whatsoever, it's very weird.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

loquacius posted:

Pretty much

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

they do restore the pre-ken political regime and constitution but we don't see much of the aftermath after that

barbie does apologize tho and say she should have been nicer to gosling ken

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

They grant some Kens a circuit court position.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Augus posted:

the set design reminded me of wes Anderson Lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Augus posted:

yes this is literally what happens. the movie even goes out of its way to say that the Kens still have no legal or political power whatsoever, it's very weird.

yaaaaass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The pink colour revolution