Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The thing that throws me down about this entire process of rebranding Twitter and how it's being done piecemeal shows that he definitely probably went public with his idea before anyone in the company heard of it, only to then pressure people to do it asap. In a sane situation, no one would have heard of it until the very last moment everything was ready to switch to an entirely re-designed interface with new logos and all the web addresses secured.

Such a horrible, entertaining, poo poo show.

As Gavin Belson says: "Good, do that, and beat them to market!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDk8BcqoR0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Its one of his Trumpiest acts, announcing a major policy change on Twitter and then watching as everyone working for him scrambles to interpret and implement it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

merch with the now defunct twitter logo on it

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

FoolyCharged posted:

The real question is was it x merch or Twitter merch? And which one would be worth less.

The x merch is whatever came up on alibaba when they searched x

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

He sent him a box of these shirts
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595250835096621057

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
If other media companies thought about brand equity the way Elon Musk thinks about Twitter’s (er, X’s)
https://www.niemanlab.org/2023/07/if-other-media-companies-thought-about-brand-equity-the-way-elon-musk-thinks-about-twitters-er-xs/

quote:

ATLANTA, July 24, 2023 — CNN, the worldwide leader in news and a proud member of the Warner Bros. Discovery family of content creators, announced today it would henceforth be known simply as N.
“What is CNN all about? News,” said former CEO Chris Licht, whose logins to company systems were not properly turned off. “What does ‘news’ start with? N. To be honest, I don’t even know what Ted Turner was thinking.”

According to a company-wide email sent from a cnnplus.com address, CNN’s original name, Cable News Network, was too bound to a pre-streaming reality. “Cable? We’re so much more than cable,” wrote the email’s unknown author. “Network? We’re so much more than a network. But news? That’s got a really, really good first letter.”

To illustrate the break from the past, the curvilinear CNN logo, dating to 1980, will be both stripped of its first and third letters and merged into its broader graphical environment, making it a thin white thread slithering through a universe of information. “We think this logo change is a major news event, not least because we hear major news events are when people watch CNN,” Licht somehow said.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Half-true; above a certain point, you don't get more happy - but the break-point for that is about $75k/year.

I'm sure there's a very definite declining marginal utility from money, but bullshit that it's at 75k.

At the very minimum, having enough money to no longer have to work (unless you want to), being able to dedicate your time to whatever holds your interest. I don't need to be Bezos rich, but I'm sure I'd be happier living off the dividends of 20 million or so.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I hear Elons a self professed movie critic now

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies posted:

The 75k number is from the study, which was in 2010. They think the number is higher now, up to 500k.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/money-happiness-study-daniel-kahneman-500000-versus-75000/

Well, clearly, it's more than whatever I happen to be making. Just need a bit more to achieve true happiness!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Kale posted:

I hear Elons a self professed movie critic now

About time, I was dying to hear his opinions on Barbie. I'm sure he has some good ones

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pushing the happiness wage threshold to $500k is a futile attempt to keep it inclusive of boom town tech bros, who in reality aren't miserable because they're poor but because they're the world's most easily conned burgher elite

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

NmareBfly posted:

One of those many things is drugs.

Yes, recreational and medicinal

Elon could basically eradicate malaria deaths and not even notice the money being gone but he won't because he's a piece of poo poo

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Elon could basically eradicate malaria deaths and not even notice the money being gone but he won't because he's a piece of poo poo

Billionaires have no interest in helping anyone unless it’s for PR. Elon would chortle as he watched those people die of malaria before he gave anyone a dime.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Quote-Unquote posted:

If he bails them out of their malaria, how will they learn?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lammasu posted:

I don't really get why rich people use drugs. I mean if you're life sucks because your mentally ill and homeless I can see it, but if you can do literally anything, why drugs?

I'll be honest, I am kind of curious about what rich-man's weed is like.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

temple posted:

X was already hackneyed by the mid 90s. An authentic 90s name would be Blue Birdy or Tqueet Clique
ChatBird Pro

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When does Elon claim that this means he now owns the X-men?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Strategic Tea posted:

Pushing the happiness wage threshold to $500k is a futile attempt to keep it inclusive of boom town tech bros, who in reality aren't miserable because they're poor but because they're the world's most easily conned burgher elite

If you include owning a house and kids and retirement and vacations I don't know how it's not closer to that sum, though of course 500k is pushing it. I could see 300k though for example.

That's a funny part of the situation; is it happiness on a day to day level? Or is it happiness, plus meeting all of the milestones that are expected of a human being in first world society, because those are very, very different hurdles...

Vlaphor posted:

It sucks because you can only take a few puffs of it before you get wrecked honestly. Bring back mids dude I want to smoke a loving joint not barely puff off part of one before putting it back in the bag.

Also weed is cool but half of the fun is that it was hard to get. We just have unlimited top quality weed for anyone who comes over (like literally send anyone who asks home with a half ounce or whatever) and the enjoyment is pretty much gone, just like anything that humans can easily receive, their baseline adjusts.

The most fun weed ever was, was when you had to meet someone in a parking lot and pay $20 for some trash weed after school. The unattainability was most of the appeal honestly. This applies to everything; it's all relative and human beings can get used to, and therefore suck the fun out of, basically anything no matter how insane it sounds in theory.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 26, 2023

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The study didn't say you NEEDED $500k to be happy, it said you will continue to increase your happiness levels by increasing your income UNTIL you get to $500k, at which point it no longer makes a difference.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Bollocks. If I had basically infinite money like billionaires I could do many things to make me and many other people very happy for my entire life.
If you were a billionaire, you would intrinsically be a miserable rear end in a top hat. It's impossible to gather that much wealth by being a good person.

Nov 6, 2002

You don't have to be a good person to be happy my friend.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You don't have to be a good person to be happy my friend.
Concerning

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
New business plan: x-tortion

https://twitter.com/ericliptonnyt/status/1684106327109382146?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

This whole everything-app idea is so loving antiquated. It's an OCD amphetamine dream. People moved to online apps because the effort to meatspace banking vs. app banking was immense. The effort to switch apps is so ridiculously low there's no selling point there. It's the mayostard strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRntutn8udw

EVEN if that's an attractive option, who in their right mind would tie their life to a single app owned by a private company whose owner who will gently caress with his users when he's annoyed by them?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Vlaphor posted:

I bet it's pretty dece, given how you can basically get your flav-o-weed hand-delivered to your doorstep with enough money, but like Notch, Musk has trust issues and will turn down Snoop weed, and turning down Snoop weed is some self-fuckling on a grand scale.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Taima posted:

Also weed is cool but half of the fun is that it was hard to get.

Personally I think it's more fun buying confirmed very good weed legally and picking it up at a drive-thru window than meeting a guy in a car outside work for a bag of ???? while constantly being worried about getting arrested or being offered other poo poo I definitely do not want to buy. It should feel as mundane as buying a 6-pack because it is literally medicine for some folks and being treated like a criminal for it is decidedly not fun.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/elon_alerts/status/1684097418621599745

Nov 6, 2002

explosivo posted:

Personally I think it's more fun buying confirmed very good weed legally and picking it up at a drive-thru window than meeting a guy in a car outside work for a bag of ???? while constantly being worried about getting arrested or being offered other poo poo I definitely do not want to buy. It should feel as mundane as buying a 6-pack because it is literally medicine for some folks and being treated like a criminal for it is decidedly not fun.

Right? Who in their right mind is like "man I sure wish I could hang out with my dealer again."

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Taima posted:

If you include owning a house and kids and retirement and vacations I don't know how it's not closer to that sum, though of course 500k is pushing it. I could see 300k though for example.

That's a funny part of the situation; is it happiness on a day to day level? Or is it happiness, plus meeting all of the milestones that are expected of a human being in first world society, because those are very, very different hurdles...

It sucks because you can only take a few puffs of it before you get wrecked honestly. Bring back mids dude I want to smoke a loving joint not barely puff off part of one before putting it back in the bag.

Also weed is cool but half of the fun is that it was hard to get. We just have unlimited top quality weed for anyone who comes over (like literally send anyone who asks home with a half ounce or whatever) and the enjoyment is pretty much gone, just like anything that humans can easily receive, their baseline adjusts.

The most fun weed ever was, was when you had to meet someone in a parking lot and pay $20 for some trash weed after school. The unattainability was most of the appeal honestly. This applies to everything; it's all relative and human beings can get used to, and therefore suck the fun out of, basically anything no matter how insane it sounds in theory.

There is literally nothing enjoyable about wanting to smoke and joint and not being able because it’s illegal and your dealer isn’t answering their phone.

Literally nothing enjoyable.

Finding weed loving sucked rear end and no one goes back to street weed once they have a store.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Haha, it’s been like two days and I’m subconsciously clicking on the logo trying to close the page, and I’ve designed interfaces for over a decade.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjv3wd/elon-musk-doesnt-have-a-plan-for-twitter-or-anything-really

Pretty good article on the matter of the MSM continuing to treat just about every Elon moment as the affairs of a credible serious person when he does everything possible to reveal himself as a deeply unserious one dimensional chud. Needs to be called out more IMO

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrChrome posted:

If other media companies thought about brand equity the way Elon Musk thinks about Twitter’s (er, X’s)
https://www.niemanlab.org/2023/07/if-other-media-companies-thought-about-brand-equity-the-way-elon-musk-thinks-about-twitters-er-xs/

Not really parody in the world where HBO and "Max" exists

I'd go so far as to say this seems to be a trend

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Instead of going to the store to buy a six pack, you could text your dealer and wait for an unknown amount of time and then he could roll up with a pack of six completely blank silver cans for you to drink.

So much fun!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

waiting around for dealers to call you back (maybe) was sooo much fun don't you remember guys how fun that was

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The study didn't say you NEEDED $500k to be happy, it said you will continue to increase your happiness levels by increasing your income UNTIL you get to $500k, at which point it no longer makes a difference.

This. It also admitted an outlier class where, usually due to some dominating issue like depression or some terminal illness in the family, those people stopped seeing gains at 100k. So that gives you a rough basis of how miserable not having money makes you: under 100k a year is bad enough that people going through that poo poo are still being hurt by poverty. Good thing that number isn't neatly double the average American salary!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
isn't an OS an everything app? Makes you think!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
wowowow look at that when i open windows/macOs/linux i can do all my banking and chat on it amazinnnng

Popoto fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 26, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ah the good old days of waiting around for hours for your guy to call you back so you could go meet up to exchange cash for a seedy, stemmy bag of Mexican brick weed. Kids today will never know such joy.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
The gold check (now a square/box?) thing is real funny when you try to make an ad on Twitter too…

This absolute president of a chud I work with was all hot and bothered about “the new Twitter ads are so amazing! Elon made them great again!” or whatever the gently caress, so we went and put a small budget into it.

It took 3 days of loving with it to figure out that you have to have a checkmark account to run ads. This notice was buried inside multiple pages that either dont load, or load a weird/incorrect thing (looking at you, shopping catalog.)

When you figure this out and go to pay, you’re prompted with a screen that I wish I had screenshotted. It gives you 2 options: twitter blue for $8/mo “for personal users”, or twatter gold for $1000/mo “for companies”.

This led to entire discussions about which we needed, as there’s seemingly no actual info outside of that popup. Were we really about to toss twitter $1k just to *try* some ads? No loving way lol.

We settled on trying the $8 and hoping for the best… turns out you just need a bluecheck to run ads. The other $992 is an optional “I love billionaires” token payment to Melon.

Anyway, the entire budget was a waste, produced no leads or sales, and I’ve cancelled the budget and the bluecheck after getting enough proof to laugh at the chud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

explosivo posted:

yeah as someone who lives in a country where it still isn't legal, even the best dealers are an absolute pain in the arse to deal with. the police don't give a poo poo if you're not dealing here, but still i long for the day i can just go to ye olde weed shoppe