Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My new HoF rule- only cheaters get in. If you aren’t cheating you don’t have what it takes to get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

They should put Beltran in but just someone absolutely go to town on some trash cans while he's trying to make his speech.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
things have sure changed from when everyone was teary eyed from his player's tribune article

also the marlins being completely forgettable for so long is really loving me up on immaculate grid today

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I miss Beltre every goddamn day

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Beltran likely deserves to be in the hall but he very much could get Clemens'd/Bonds'd/Schilling'd though he is starting ahead of all of them (high 40's instead of high 30's), and the 10-year limit is in place at the start of his tenure.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally i think everyone who was crazy good at baseball that isn't cap anson should be in the hall, to include can bangers and needle bangers

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

personally i think everyone who was crazy good at baseball that isn't cap anson should be in the hall, to include can bangers and needle bangers

I think if you're a lovely person you should have that on your plaque.

Jack Morris gets his bust but every pitcher he hosed over on his way up gets to write an insult under the blurb about Inning Eating

Barry Bonds gets a plaque but also is tarnished for being a union buster.

Roger Clemens gets to be one of the all time best pitchers immortalized but he isn't allowed within 200 feet of the podium

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think if you're a lovely person you should have that on your plaque.

Jack Morris gets his bust but every pitcher he hosed over on his way up gets to write an insult under the blurb about Inning Eating

Barry Bonds gets a plaque but also is tarnished for being a union buster.

Roger Clemens gets to be one of the all time best pitchers immortalized but he isn't allowed within 200 feet of the podium

also Schilling can get in only if he personally pays back all the money he stole from the people of Rhode Island

and even then, only after he is dead and gone

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wait what is the Barry Bonds story?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait what is the Barry Bonds story?

"In November 2003, Bonds announced his withdrawal from a joint licensing agreement upheld by the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), a de facto union. Targeting the sacred home run milestones of Willie Mays, Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron, Bonds bet on himself to earn millions from exclusive deals with baseball card manufacturers and apparel merchandisers. Ever the iconoclast, Barry wanted full control over his intellectual property, denying the use of his name, voice, likeness, batting stance and autograph to entities that deigned to pay a separate fee."

https://ryanferguson.co.uk/blogs/blog/why-was-barry-bonds-not-in-video-games

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I vaguely remember that but that’s really minor IMO

Especially compared to the domestic issues he has had in the past

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I vaguely remember that but that’s really minor IMO

Especially compared to the domestic issues he has had in the past

Oh he also has a few recently surfaced abuse allegations! I only knew of one.

Yeah Bonds is a loving awful person. Lots to apologize for. None of that changes the ability demonstrated with a bat, just makes it kind of secondary in the discussion.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Beltran is a 70 career bWAR player and only 1.4 of that was during his cheating years and he was -.8 bWAR in 2017
I get what you’re saying but the same logic applies to Bonds and Clemens, both of whom had slam dunk HoF credentials before they started juicing.

Again I don’t have any clue how much the writers care about the banging scheme, but just because it came at the end of his career doesn’t mean they won’t use it to keep him out.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

Same, friend.

The ugly new ballpark is made worse by the old one still standing right there next to it look beautiful as ever. Gotta have AC though. I've been to more summer games this year alone than I had in the last 10+ years of the old ballpark.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Allow Carlos Beltran into the Hall, but only if his plaque is a picture of him staring at a curveball down the middle to lose the NLCS.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

From a vibe perspective I don't think the 2017 Astros are viewed anywhere close as bad as steroid users in the eyes of baseball writers. Right or wrong.

There were 30% or so of writers who essentially said no steroid user will ever get in. I just don't see that same level of vitriol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Plaschke will probably be a no

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

Beltran is a 70 career bWAR player and only 1.4 of that was during his cheating years and he was -.8 bWAR in 2017

The majority of the guys who are being kept out of the hall isn't because people think they played at a HOF level because of cheating.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Poque posted:

Let's list five shortstops and only talk about offense. Dansby currently leads the Cubs in WAR

Yea, I'm not really worried about Carlos Correa, either. Good defense and an average bat for the position is hard to find, it's ok to get it at a premium (And the Twins got him at a fraction of his value so...). Having a down year doesn't mean his whole career is going to be this going forward, love everyone constantly giving into SSS to craft narratives.

Also, reminder that short stops collectively have an OPS of .711. That tweet is histrionic garbage. In short:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Seager, Lindor and Swanson are 3 of the top 4 SS by fWAR.

drat that would suck to sign a guy to!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am so happy that "Cool" Kyle Hendricks is mostly good again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kirios posted:

From a vibe perspective I don't think the 2017 Astros are viewed anywhere close as bad as steroid users in the eyes of baseball writers. Right or wrong.

There were 30% or so of writers who essentially said no steroid user will ever get in. I just don't see that same level of vitriol.

And those writers are moronic trash now that the steroid commish was fast tracked into the hall.

Flat out, the game threw its moral high ground out the window in a pretty big way. Stop fighting it and showing your whole rear end.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Beltran likely deserves to be in the hall but he very much could get Clemens'd/Bonds'd/Schilling'd though he is starting ahead of all of them (high 40's instead of high 30's), and the 10-year limit is in place at the start of his tenure.
Bonds and Clemens started lower because their first years on the ballot were before the voter purge (BBWAA no longer gives you a vote if you haven’t covered baseball in 10 years). They jumped to 45-55% once that happened.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Milovan Drecun posted:

Yea, I'm not really worried about Carlos Correa, either. Good defense and an average bat for the position is hard to find, it's ok to get it at a premium (And the Twins got him at a fraction of his value so...). Having a down year doesn't mean his whole career is going to be this going forward, love everyone constantly giving into SSS to craft narratives.

He's also still 28 for most of this season.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

rickiep00h posted:

He's also still 28 for most of this season.

Yea, that's a really important part of it too!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shinjobi posted:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

At least twice in the past week I’ve wanted to use Beltre for HoF Immaculate Grid boxes but he’s not in the HoF yet so I couldn’t

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

Does Beltran go in as a Met or a Royal or a blank hat guy?

He was slightly better for the Mets but played about the same amount for both teams.

(also, he played for the Cardinals for two years? I have absolutely no memory of that at all).

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Got my first .3% guy in Immaculate Grid today. :smug:

Thank you Ken Harvey for making an All-Star Game

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

At least twice in the past week I’ve wanted to use Beltre for HoF Immaculate Grid boxes but he’s not in the HoF yet so I couldn’t

I'm so loving sick of seeing Royals and Marlins in like every grid :argh:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I got my first Immaculate ever. I don't cheat at it so this is a pretty big milestone for my increasingly ADHD-addled brain. 191 rarity score, too. I'd like to thank the Marlins for harboring a litany of players I barely remember but for some reason played for them back when I was really into fantasy baseball.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Exodor posted:

Got my first .3% guy in Immaculate Grid today. :smug:

Thank you Ken Harvey for making an All-Star Game

I'm assuming everyone in the thread used Mike Fiers as the A's/Astros guy.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

howe_sam posted:

heck naw Kempin ain't easy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

No Safe Word posted:

heck naw Kempin ain't easy

That's who I used. And Dan Haren for A's/Marlins.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I didn't get immaculate today, but I am very proud of pulling Braden Looper out of my rear end for Marlins/Mets.

If they were ever a Cub, then I'm far more likely to know what other teams they've been on, hence why I did Soler for Marlins/Royals.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

howe_sam posted:

Miguel Tejada

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Woowww the Giants called up Marco Luciano. I mean there's no way he's ready but if this means I don't have to watch anymore David Villar at bats I'm for it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
My A's Astros answer used to have a funny blog him being fired for being an anti Sabr dummy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/pcaldera/status/1684277563705679886

Pretty sure Boone just uses a RNG to come up with these lineups. Also LOL @ a 300 million dollar team having this kind of lineup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I understand that Rodon is to be booed going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/pcaldera/status/1684277563705679886

Pretty sure Boone just uses a RNG to come up with these lineups. Also LOL @ a 300 million dollar team having this kind of lineup.

Boone thinks RNG is advanced metrics and shuns them. He's using the trusted eye test (putting names in positions to fail miserably) and Trusting His Gut.