Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Fishbus posted:

I didn't do 100% of what they asked because a lot of the 'fixes' were really just making Solider/Demos better and disguising it under 'bugs'.

Any particularly egregious "fixes" you could share? No need to name names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I play on the uncletopia east coast servers most nights still

Thanks for the recommendation, I played some on the Atlanta and NYC servers tonight. After 5 years, it was like putting on an old glove playing Soldier. Still not great but was fun playing

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I tried playing on the Uncletopia servers, but the time I'm on seems to always have folks who are extremely good at the game absolutely rolling the lobby. Scouts with 100% meatshot hit rate, snipers that can hit headshots with ease, explosive classes pulling off Titanfall level aerial maneuvers, etc. Meanwhile I think my PC is worse at running TF2 despite being several upgrades from a decade ago. I'm struggling to get shotgun hits at mid-range that deal more than 15 damage at a time.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I’ve found the latest steam overlay messing with my perf so I’ve turned it off in the meantime

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Any particularly egregious "fixes" you could share? No need to name names.

This is an example, the request is to put a wall/chicken wire to solidify this chunk. If i wanted it to block stuff I would have done that in the first place.

My rule is "if it's very obvious supposed to go through, then it should"

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Fishbus posted:

This is an example, the request is to put a wall/chicken wire to solidify this chunk. If i wanted it to block stuff I would have done that in the first place.

My rule is "if it's very obvious supposed to go through, then it should"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ahh, so right now rockets and stuff can end up in that zone under the stairs, where they don't do very much, and they want to be able to splash them off the outside of it

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
hoo boy, returning to TF2 after a long time and trying the casual servers. I was never a great player, but the amount of engis turtling in their nests at the final control point (before we've even lost mid) or teams made up entirely of snipers/engis/spies are like a flashback to my earliest days in TF2.

Still a great time, just need to figure out my way around the new maps and git gud.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been thinking of TF2 again with the sudden spike of popularity, thinking back my favorite all-time play that wasn't messing with my friends, was playing as a Spy disguised as a demo or heavy and convincing a random enemy medic to ubercharge me and follow me in for a push, on the open mic the medic is yelling at me to DO SOMETHING as I bring him deep into the "enemy" base and I slowly turn around and undisguise myself as the uber wears off.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grapplejack posted:

I'm also a big backburner guy and you're using the airblast either to close space or to cover an escape, or to get a sick fuckin reflect kill (this always takes precedent over everything else). I loathe pyros that use the basic flamethrower or the degreaser and do nothing but spam airblast, totally wasting your class's potential

there's nothing that quite compares to that innate sense you get when fighting a soldier or demo about when they're going to fire their rocket and nailing the airblast

more than once i've gotten right up in their face and hit the airblast button to, the instant that rocket comes out, PING! and a shower of gibs.... :discourse:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Dabir posted:

Ahh, so right now rockets and stuff can end up in that zone under the stairs, where they don't do very much, and they want to be able to splash them off the outside of it

Exactly. There’s intent by me. There’s other places where I do have it and a lot of these were conscious decisions. The reason the map is so loving wild with little oddities is from the insane iteration and testing we did here on SA. Like 24 solid for an hour every day for 5 months like I don’t even get a whiff of that in my job I took it for granted back then!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

soldiers when they are forced to consider where a rocket might need to land for the first time:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Fishbus posted:

Exactly. There’s intent by me. There’s other places where I do have it and a lot of these were conscious decisions. The reason the map is so loving wild with little oddities is from the insane iteration and testing we did here on SA. Like 24 solid for an hour every day for 5 months like I don’t even get a whiff of that in my job I took it for granted back then!

wait you made cp_steel? drat. good memories playing that one

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

there's nothing that quite compares to that innate sense you get when fighting a soldier or demo about when they're going to fire their rocket and nailing the airblast

more than once i've gotten right up in their face and hit the airblast button to, the instant that rocket comes out, PING! and a shower of gibs.... :discourse:

You can do this with the backburner! One of my absolute favorite 1v1s is pyro v soldier because it's nothing but mindgames and footsies but if a pyro can just right click over and over again it kinda kills that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fishbus posted:

Is it solidly blocked off for players? Being charitable, maybe they were worried about getting snagged on props and stuff as they move around there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I hope it's not blocked off. Running underneath the balcony to mess with someone's tracking sounds like fun.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The one thing about cp_steel I'll never understand is the spawn being up on that ledge inside the spawn room. Not a serious impediment to anything, it's just a choice I don't understand the rationale for.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Baron von Eevl posted:

The one thing about cp_steel I'll never understand is the spawn being up on that ledge inside the spawn room. Not a serious impediment to anything, it's just a choice I don't understand the rationale for.

It's because spies can get into the BLU spawn if an engineer cooperates. Having the spawn be up on that ledge prevents a spy from spawncamping too effectively.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The staging area where an engie can build a teleporter exit isn't the spawn room though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Baron von Eevl posted:

The staging area where an engie can build a teleporter exit isn't the spawn room though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dear god

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I would be lying if i remember the reason. Lots of vestigal elements in steel that at SOME POINT served a purpose.

Funnily enough looking back on the whole thing I would actually make the entire spawn room on the other side of the train tracks. Since it's always better to have your spawn points FACE the objective innately when possible.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

there is now a func_respawn_visualiser (the big No entry overlay on spawn doors) there so spys cant get into the spawn room itself now.

Dabir posted:

Is it solidly blocked off for players? Being charitable, maybe they were worried about getting snagged on props and stuff as they move around there.

NOPE, the clipping is solid there, it was very specifically worded.

Here is a laundry list I combed through: https://imgur.com/a/AMYyvRr

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 22, 2023

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

Fishbus posted:

there is now a func_respawn_visualiser (the big No entry overlay on spawn doors) there so spys cant get into the spawn room itself now.

NOPE, the clipping is solid there, it was very specifically worded.

Here is a laundry list I combed through: https://imgur.com/a/AMYyvRr

can't wait for this map to be finally finished

maybe you can add some floor lights that light up and show people which way they can go or just add more flanks

hope this helps

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Warpy posted:

can't wait for this map to be finally finished

maybe you can add some floor lights that light up and show people which way they can go or just add more flanks

hope this helps

After 15 years, hopefully it will be worth the wait

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I do like Steel quite a lot, it was very unique compared to the other maps when it came out and I appreciate the variety of routes that a lot of people otherwise find confusing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fishbus pls fix, sometimes there are direction's I can shoot rocket without hitting an enemy. Ppl are supposed to die when I shoot wall, correct the bug thanks

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I doubt you made more than like, half a cent on this but your map is my favorite in the game and I wear this one with pride :3: :

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wish steel had any sort of fun rocket jumping opportunities but otherwise it's a good map

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

i really like how Selbyen is extremely rocket jumpable
Except that one little yellow building in the middle where you can get on the sides but not the middle rise

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's some good jumping around b, but yeah it can be sparse.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

Fishbus pls fix, sometimes there are direction's I can shoot rocket without hitting an enemy. Ppl are supposed to die when I shoot wall, correct the bug thanks

The amount that soldier and demo mains expect the entire game to bend to their will is insane to me - other classes exist.

Enjoy those cramped corridors you chucklefucks!!!

Zedd posted:

I doubt you made more than like, half a cent on this but your map is my favorite in the game and I wear this one with pride :3: :

Thank you! :3: I think it's more like about 40 cents though after all the percentages and taxes hit it.

Personally I think it would benefit all community map developers if the hat effect scaled in some way according to how many stamps you have in total, and amount of maps.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 22, 2023

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dVc3PGWZI

we're so back

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
:cry: it's so nice to see. Star also uploaded a video to his channel. Man, these two playing this game really had such an impact on me way back.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
This is a dumb question, but is there some kind of community server that's more casual than the casual servers? Somewhere chill and low-skill. I hit my skill ceiling a long time ago and everyone's waaaay better than me these days. Only way I can have fun is by goofing off and playing hoovy.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

PlatinumJukebox posted:

This is a dumb question, but is there some kind of community server that's more casual than the casual servers? Somewhere chill and low-skill. I hit my skill ceiling a long time ago and everyone's waaaay better than me these days. Only way I can have fun is by goofing off and playing hoovy.

depends on what you're into. i dont know of any like default gamemode servers for not playing to win, but i spent many, many hours playing on trade servers or on cp_orange killing people and goofing around, most people there arent playing for any real objective. i dont know of many servers running gimmick gamemodes or maps like trainsawlaser off the top of my head, but those could be fun too. or stuff like deathrace.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Skail is a very easy set of servers. I’d say it’s probably as easy as casual during prime hours, not less, but they fill out teams with bots in off hours so you can easily say it’s easier then.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I thought it was weird that they included cashworks but now that I'm seeing it again and feeling a genuine sense of nostalgia for my time spent on a map I know isn't very good, I'm glad the author finally got paid for all those good times.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kvEH2jPIQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Like Ster, Jerma, and other folks I'm back playing TF2. What are the community servers that will eat me alive? I saw someone mentioned something called Uncletopia?

Relatedly, I'd be up for some goon events. Does it cost about ten bucks a month to host a server somewhere? I wouldn't mind doing that, it'd be great to play sixes or something with folks.