Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
dishwasher
fridge
goku
water heater
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol people look at you like yoi're a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
All ovens should be convection ovens.

Burnt the hell out of a pizza at a friend's place recently because I tossed it in his oven without thinking and set it at 350 like I normally do at home. Rack was too close to the burner and by the time I checked on it, it was already nuked on the bottom but hadn't even begun to cook on the top. It was my fault because I had a fart brain and was thinking it was like my convection oven where it doesn't matter where the rack is, because when I set the oven to 350 degrees, it's 350 degrees all over.

Seriously, convection ovens are nice.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

my oven has spirals on top of it that get hot through the miracle of passing an electric current through a material with high resistivity. same thing for the inside of the oven itself, but the thingies aren't spiral shaped. there are 5 knobs to make things less hot or more hot. last time i thoroughly cleaned it i found a yellowed folded piece of paper taped to the inside of where the knobs are mounted which turned out to be the list of parts and parts numbers, and the full circuit diagram for the whole thing which i imagine is there in case you ever need to repair it with supplies you scavenged from the bombed-out ruins of a radio shack after surviving thermonuclear war with the soviets, which most likely was still a concern at the time it was built

anyways what i'm trying to say is i don't have problems with my oven rebooting and i'm never replacing it unless i'm absolutely forced to

smart appliances are dumb as hell, don't ever get one. You should consider getting an induction stove though. My current house came with one, and it kicks rear end. I like it way more than a traditional electric, and I even like it more than my old gas range.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

looking at replacing our gas range with induction

quoting this snippet to say that induction stoves kick rear end

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
induction is rad and gas sucks sorry

i have a ceramic top electric now and i’d rather have coil electrics even than gas again. you can smell it as soon as they’re turned on and lol if you think combustion byproducts in your house are great

it’s hilarious to see people online try to come back with “you must not like to cook then” because fuckin’ lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people love saying things like "restaurant quality heat control" which means they don't know that restaurant burners are p much only ever at full blast or bare simmer

electric and induction are fine once you adapt to them and you can cook anything

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

induction really is fantastic. non-induction electric still sucks though, sorry

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My favorite thing about induction is that it is fairly idiot proof. Especially if your cooktop has temperature sensing and shuts itself off if the things you put on it are getting too hot.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

landlord upgrade schedule replaces my range next year, looking forward to trying the induction lifestyle

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

induction really is fantastic. non-induction electric still sucks though, sorry

it's fine. you just have to do more interactive work with the food

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

lol if you think combustion byproducts in your house are great

that reminds me of my biggest kitchen design pet-peeve: vent hoods that don't vent outside

"but it has a filter…"

yeah, and it's still just blowing the hot, humid air back into the room, minus some coarse particulates. i get that renters don't have a choice, and it's not necessarily easy to install a proper vent hood in an old home not designed for it, but there's no excuse for installing those crappy ones that just blow the air back into the room in a new or renovated home

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

that reminds me of my biggest kitchen design pet-peeve: vent hoods that don't vent outside

"but it has a filter…"

yeah, and it's still just blowing the hot, humid air back into the room, minus some coarse particulates. i get that renters don't have a choice, and it's not necessarily easy to install a proper vent hood in an old home not designed for it, but there's no excuse for installing those crappy ones that just blow the air back into the room in a new or renovated home

theyre so fuckin hateful. we had to get a house without one and it's the top thing on my redesign list

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

when i bought my house i replaced the old vent since it had fallen off the outlet on the roof and was probably just pumping all the smoke into the attic for years now all my noxious garlic fumes are free to please my neighbors

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

when i bought my house i replaced the old vent since it had fallen off the outlet on the roof and was probably just pumping all the smoke into the attic for years now all my noxious garlic fumes are free to please my neighbors

you mean delicious garlic aromas

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

who makes a good blender that also works as a food processor

the blendtec will it blend youtubes always remain in the back of my mind, but there's some other brand people really like for this?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i've never understood the difference between a blender and a food processor

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the food processor appears to be sharper and flatter and allow for multiple blade attachments which probably helps for certain kinds of chopping poo poo really tiny

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

blenders are made to mix and liquify and food processors are made to chop

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

blenders are made to mix and liquify and food processors are made to chop

it’s mostly this. they’re separate devices. generally if you don’t need fine purées or soups or making smoothies or something, you can get by with a food processor just fine. food processors can also handle much thicker products more easily than a blender can.

imo i like the breville food processor because the bowl is sealed so if it’s full of wet stuff it keeps the surrounding area cleaner but the price has gone way up since i bought one.

for blenders i like the vitamixes but the blendtecs have their following too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I used to swear by the cuisinart 14-cup food processor, the one with the bowl with straight sides , but I’m not sure if the quality is still there. still has a high ranking on consumer reports at least. there are definitely things you can do with a food processor that you can't do with a blender and if I could only have one it would be the processor

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what keeps a food processor from blending as well as a dedicated blender?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

id say the speed of blades and the fact that good blenders are designed with jars that direct the flow of food back down into the blades so you get the content passing through and around the blades with greater frequency

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

flat bottom i think? you get a more even cutting surface and likely more cutting power but not like the funnel that allows for liquification in a blenders shape

thats just a guess though i am not a cuisnart scientist

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
can a food processor crush ice without chewing up the blades?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

can a food processor crush ice without chewing up the blades?

yes, ice is softer than metal

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

food processors also generally have a small maximum liquid capacity because of the way they're constructed so you can't puree a whole soup in them

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i pretty much always use my immersion blender whenever i'm making cream of leeks or another large batch of something like that. the other kinds of spinning blades attached to a motor don't get nearly as much use

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

food processors also generally have a small maximum liquid capacity because of the way they're constructed so you can't puree a whole soup in them

this is a big plus to that breville i mentioned. fill the fucker up it’s fine

(but i do liquids in the vitamix anyway)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i pretty much always use my immersion blender whenever i'm making cream of leeks or another large batch of something like that. the other kinds of spinning blades attached to a motor don't get nearly as much use

the best part of stick blenders is when you are blending your soup and get a few degrees off vertical and send hot soup spraying everywhere

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
clearly a skill issue because it's never happened to me and i am the clumsiest, most kinesthetically-challenged organism this side of a jellyfish swimming in thorazine

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I have a Vitamix I use on the regular, and they put out a food processor attachment for it that's been pretty needs suiting when I've used it. The differences between a blender and a food processor have been pretty well covered above though.

Also, I have a confession. Minus my dishwasher, all my appliances are Samsung. In my defense they're all 11 years old though, and aside from a couple of the LED lights on my fridge getting dimmer over the years, I've had 0 issues so far.

If I had to buy new appliances tomorrow though, I would not buy Samsung.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

TerminalRaptor posted:

all my appliances are Samsung

get him!!!!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

I used to swear by the cuisinart 14-cup food processor, the one with the bowl with straight sides , but I’m not sure if the quality is still there. still has a high ranking on consumer reports at least. there are definitely things you can do with a food processor that you can't do with a blender and if I could only have one it would be the processor

I got one of those last year and aside from the color it looks and feels identical to the one my mom got 25 years ago

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Glorgnole posted:

I got one of those last year and aside from the color it looks and feels identical to the one my mom got 25 years ago

Yeah look and feel is the same but they had to do a blade recall a few years back and it took like a year to get everyone their replacements, and the plastic seems more brittle (I cracked the lid within a year of owning mine) and replacement parts are crazy expensive and they have several almost identical skus so it's hard to figure out which part you need. maybe they got better in the last few years though

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Nothing. I have a Ninja that’s a blender, food processor, and mixer. You have the change out the bowls and blades and push buttons.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

Nothing. I have a Ninja that’s a blender, food processor, and mixer. You have the change out the bowls and blades and push buttons.

incorrect you just have a motor that you can swap between the bowls on, the bowl and the blades make all the difference in the world

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Glorgnole posted:

no idea if it's true in this particular case, but a lot of those "hasn't changed in 25 years" appliances look the same but the internals have definitely changed, and usually not for the better when it comes to reliability or service life

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mediaphage posted:

incorrect you just have a motor that you can swap between the bowls on, the bowl and the blades make all the difference in the world

yeah this is what i want

so a ninja? blendtec and vitamix dont got those?

i can clearly google search this but i was taking a more conversational tone and hoping someone already did this (obsess about buying a blender+food processor) and can give an anecdote

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

look i’ll just myself as a blender snob but the ninja does not compare to a vitamix or blendtec period. i think they may have a more robust single unit now but that nonsense with the multi blades for example is a gimmick

now you may not give a poo poo about the extra processing that a vitamix or blendtec can do and that’s also fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the soviets used a chef's knife