Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I agree that Zemeckis has a steep decline in later years after Cast Away, but I don't think it matches with Burton.

Polar Express was at least a major technical innovation, even if the technology's impact is debatable. Beowulf, Flight, and even Marwen have some defenders, and I think the consensus of Allied is that it's fine (I liked it), and all of those are pretty different from each other in terms of plot, tone, and actors. It's really just his last two movies that are unambiguous shits.

Contrast that to Burton where for the last fifteen or twenty years it feels like he's put out pretty much the exact same sort of movie with the exact same actors and exact same atmosphere and tone, and nothing really innovative or even unique among them. Plus he propped up Depp more than arguably anyone else and also pioneered the Disney live action remake trend, which are ethically and creatively worse than anything Zemeckis is guilty of IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've already announced a release date (April 2025) for a sequel to the new Exorcist movie which seems like it might be a little premature seeing current events.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They're probably expecting the same success as their Halloween series but didn't the third one bomb?

EDIT: Didn't bomb but made like $40 million less than Kills despite being a year later in the pandemic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://apnews.com/article/kevin-spacey-sexual-assault-trial-london-jury-deliberations-85cb3957c60de1a7b1e03a26dc278d95

You think a guy like that comes this close to getting caught, and sticks his head out? After that... my guess is you'll never hear from him again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Burton’s Dumbo is actually pretty decent, as was The Jungle Book (Not Burton). It’s absolutely a bad trend now with too much momentum behind it but those two are alright. Supposedly they were going to make a sequel of the latter but it’s gone quiet. If they ever get around to it Neel Sethi will probably be 30 by then.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I agree that Zemeckis has a steep decline in later years after Cast Away, but I don't think it matches with Burton.

Polar Express was at least a major technical innovation, even if the technology's impact is debatable. Beowulf, Flight, and even Marwen have some defenders, and I think the consensus of Allied is that it's fine (I liked it), and all of those are pretty different from each other in terms of plot, tone, and actors. It's really just his last two movies that are unambiguous shits.

Contrast that to Burton where for the last fifteen or twenty years it feels like he's put out pretty much the exact same sort of movie with the exact same actors and exact same atmosphere and tone, and nothing really innovative or even unique among them. Plus he propped up Depp more than arguably anyone else and also pioneered the Disney live action remake trend, which are ethically and creatively worse than anything Zemeckis is guilty of IMO.

I think Burtons biggest problem is that his best movie (Ed Wood) flopped and his worst movie (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzAOV7uxw0) made like eleventy billion dollars, so now hes stuck like this forever

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Big Eyes was pretty well regarded right? It's based on a true story about Walter Keane the "artist" being a fraud. No Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter or any garish CG to be found.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

Big Eyes was pretty well regarded right? It's based on a true story about Walter Keane the "artist" being a fraud. No Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter or any garish CG to be found.

I liked it alright but I remember a lot of people trashing it. People, maybe correctly, criticized it because it focused on the dude being a fraud and not Margaret Keane. I get what they were saying but also it’s a movie and there needs to be some conflict, I think most people prefer biopics that center around one interesting event in someone’s life to a filmed bullet point list of accomplishments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Fish is the best movie he has made since the 90s

Sweeney Todd was fine but nothing special

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

Big Fish is the best movie he has made since the 90s

Sweeney Todd was fine but nothing special

Yeah, big fish is so good I keep forgetting he made it.

I was a big Sweeney Todd fan at the time but it's mostly because I liked the source material and it's an at least competent adaptation, but it's dragged down by just how tired his style feels after the previously mentioned Alice film. Yeesh, that one's so much darker than I remember. Like literally dark.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sometimes it seems like he forgets what people want to see while watching a movie. The whole Mad Hatter dance is something I can't imagine anyone ever enjoying, it's on par with the McDonald's dance scene from Mac & Me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, big fish is so good I keep forgetting he made it.

I was a big Sweeney Todd fan at the time but it's mostly because I liked the source material and it's an at least competent adaptation, but it's dragged down by just how tired his style feels after the previously mentioned Alice film. Yeesh, that one's so much darker than I remember. Like literally dark.
Yes I think that’s part of the issue….it feels derivative of a lot of his movies of that time

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sometimes it seems like he forgets what people want to see while watching a movie. The whole Mad Hatter dance is something I can't imagine anyone ever enjoying, it's on par with the McDonald's dance scene from Mac & Me.

Nothing sums up how much the machine has changed since that era like Disney trying to copyright strike every meme about that scene out of existence as opposed to these days where they'd release it as a shitpost template for cheap marketing

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Holy poo poo, I wish you hadn't reminded me of that.

They even tease and hype it up all through the movie

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Yup, they talk about how the Mad Hatter hasn’t done “the fudderwhacken” for years, and when he’s finally happy enough to do it, it’s just a dance that, even by terrible dancing-as-a-punchline jokes/payoffs are, is loving awful to look at.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The woman playing Alice looks like she's done with this poo poo throughout the entire scene.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

To say nothing about how Alice in Wonderland ends with Alice having a big girlboss moment by deciding to expand trade to China, which if you are familiar with the history of the period means that she's basically going to start the Opium Wars.

God I loving hated that movie. I saw it with a friend and when it was over we literally looked at each other and said "what the gently caress was THAT?"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yup, they talk about how the Mad Hatter hasn’t done “the fudderwhacken” for years, and when he’s finally happy enough to do it, it’s just a dance that, even by terrible dancing-as-a-punchline jokes/payoffs are, is loving awful to look at.

This can't be real

Oh my god

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think it was either the first or the sequel that came out during the 3D movies fad and it's just full of scenes like a dragon flying through hoops towards the screen like it's Superman 64

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

mycot posted:

This can't be real

Oh my god

Well I wasn't sure if anything would replace the Pan "smells like teen spirit" scene as something that just randomly pops into my head based on how incredibly dumb it was but this might do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBGmBOhQEE

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

B-Rock452 posted:

Well I wasn't sure if anything would replace the Pan "smells like teen spirit" scene as something that just randomly pops into my head based on how incredibly dumb it was but this might do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBGmBOhQEE

I love this dumb scene so much.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I’m still incredulous that the Alice sequel exists and wonder if there’s anything nearly as memorably stupid in it

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
One of the worst things about the Fudderwacken is that the dance was performed by the dancer behind of the original hyper-viral videos, which I loved for many years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUz4OLQi_uw

Then they took him and costumed him and edited around him and obscured him with CGI to the extent that you can't even appreciate the insane ways he moves and it all just looks like utter trash

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

John Carpenter

Although I wouldn’t mind him back

He sais he'd be willing to come out of retirement to do a Dead Space movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
John Carpenter is currently directing a TV series from his couch. I doubt it'll be any good, but I'll watch it regardless.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

John Carpenter is currently directing a TV series from his couch. I doubt it'll be any good, but I'll watch it regardless.

I'm not reading any details of the logistics on how this is being done, I'm just assuming they're using one of those iPad on wheels setups while JC is ripping bong hits from his couch and yelling action.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

John McTiernan went from making Predator and Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October to serving time for trying to spy on his producer for Rollerball.

Action directors seem to get hit pretty hard, must be how styles change and how blockbuster filmmaking has evolved.

Man his wiki article is a wild ride. The dude basically pulled a year long stint in jail out of the jaws of leniency.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not reading any details of the logistics on how this is being done, I'm just assuming they're using one of those iPad on wheels setups while JC is ripping bong hits from his couch and yelling action.

That’s not much different from how a lot of directors do it lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1684257137571004429?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Would have been embarrassing otherwise

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Kevin Spacey in new Woody Allen movie when?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

To say nothing about how Alice in Wonderland ends with Alice having a big girlboss moment by deciding to expand trade to China, which if you are familiar with the history of the period means that she's basically going to start the Opium Wars.

Somehow that's at least on brand lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Good for her imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And now I'm picturing a maship with Dune and it works bizarrely well, you even have the giant irreverent worm doing drugs

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mia Wasikowska ahould be in more things despite Alice in The Wonderland.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

feedmyleg posted:

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goVfYvVx5F8

I have no idea to what extent he's involved with this, maybe he just nodded and extended his hands to receive a stack of currency.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Taika’s issue seems more like a combination of oversaturation and spreading himself too thin between dozens of projects than any real decline in talent. Give him a few years for his various Disney projects to stall out and return to mid-budget comedies and he’ll be fine.

Carpenter’s a weird one because you can assume Memoirs of an Invisible Man was a result of Chevy Chase being impossible plus studio poo poo, then he bounces back with In The Mouth of Madness.

Village of the Damned is a forgettable gun-for-hire job, Escape from LA is dogshit that he clearly just made so he and Kurt could hang out and get paid, and Vampires is bad but it’s mostly fun bad. Ghosts of Mars is back to dogshit and then he takes almost a decade off to do two episodes of Masters of Horror and The Ward, all of which are mediocre and forgettable.

But I don’t think it’s because he declined or anything, he’s pretty clearly a guy who got continually hosed over by suits and just had his fill. I’d be willing to bet money that if he got a script he was super passionate about today he could probably still turn in a really solid movie. But he won’t because it’s not worth the hassle to him when he can just play video games, smoke, and do the occasional album with his son.

Ghost of Mars is painful bc you can see it has some good ideas and actors but the budget only allows for the same stretch of two low slung bungalows and basements to stand in for Mars. You can see how how badly it hosed it up every second you're watching it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Ghost of Mars is painful bc you can see it has some good ideas and actors but the budget only allows for the same stretch of two low slung bungalows and basements to stand in for Mars. You can see how how badly it hosed it up every second you're watching it.

Yeah I really hate it for that purpose, what could have been. :(

Escape from LA is like, stupid but we watched it again recently and yeah it's bad overall but wasn't quite as bad as I remember, enjoyed it overall. The long shot early on where Snake goes from vehicle to vehicle efficiently taking out everyone was pretty cool too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Village of the Damned is a forgettable gun-for-hire job, Escape from LA is dogshit that he clearly just made so he and Kurt could hang out and get paid, and Vampires is bad but it’s mostly fun bad. Ghosts of Mars is back to dogshit and then he takes almost a decade off to do two episodes of Masters of Horror and The Ward, all of which are mediocre and forgettable.
Vampires is tough because the characters are so loathsome. I mean, it's not like he's didactically telling you that these guys are wonderful, but at times it gets hard not to root for the vampire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Escape from LA is better than Escape from NY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Escape from LA is better than Escape from NY.

The hottest take I've seen in a while