Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

giogadi posted:

The last thing a rhythm game should do is keep interrupting your rhythm flow with cutscenes. Actually, if the cutscenes were also synced to the rhythm like a music video or something, that might’ve actually worked

QuickTime events. You’ve literally asked for quicktime events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galagazombie posted:

QuickTime events. You’ve literally asked for quicktime events.

Not necessarily, just have the beat going on in the background and have the action sync to it so it never drops even during the cutscene. That doesn't necessarily require any player input.

I thought it was fine as it was, but the idea is actually pretty cool

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wasn't that the entire premise of Parappa the Rapper

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

roomtone posted:

i started hifi rush last night. gameplay with the music syncing is great etc, animation is very nice, but the game's dialogue actually make me chuckle about 5 times in an hour. some were trite but overall it's got a really fun tone. usually with cheerful games like this, the writing is just so bland it washes over me, but this feels like they put some effort into the comedy and it brings the thing to life.

i'm always complaining about the style of localisation japanese games get but here's one i like.

When a game makes me feel like I've played it for 5 minutes in the first hour I come to the conclusion that it's poo poo. I really wish games would stop doing that. Oh yeah and Bethesda sucks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8khiV3C4Y

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 26, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Pokemon sleep is the best Pokemon game because you don't actually have to do anything to play it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

roomtone posted:

i started hifi rush last night. gameplay with the music syncing is great etc, animation is very nice, but the game's dialogue actually make me chuckle about 5 times in an hour. some were trite but overall it's got a really fun tone. usually with cheerful games like this, the writing is just so bland it washes over me, but this feels like they put some effort into the comedy and it brings the thing to life.

i'm always complaining about the style of localisation japanese games get but here's one i like.

HiFi Rush is really interesting because it basically was one guy's passion project. Shinji Mikami (RE1/4 director, founder of Tango Gameworks) wanted to nurture new talent in the company, and as a result let John Johanas direct The Evil Within 2.
That turned out well, so when Johanas pitched what eventually became HiFi Rush he was given full creative control to just go for it.

I think that probably was also why it localized well. It's a Japanese production, but directed and written by a westerner who took a lot of inspiration/blatant ripoffs from western media like comic books, Twin Peaks, etc.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Has anybody played a game and thought “man this gameplay is soooo good, but I wish there were more cutscenes”

Not being rhetorical btw - I’ve never felt this way and wanna know if anybody else has

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

giogadi posted:

Has anybody played a game and thought “man this gameplay is soooo good, but I wish there were more cutscenes”

Not being rhetorical btw - I’ve never felt this way and wanna know if anybody else has
played, no, but watching my friend play the OG FFVII back in the day I definitely thought that

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

giogadi posted:

Parasite eve comes to mind :shrug:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Good point actually. Back in the day FMVs were the COOLEST poo poo and I’d lose it when I got to another pre-rendered cutscene in a jrpg as a kid

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

giogadi posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2. There just weren't enough cutscenes for me.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

giogadi posted:

Yeah me, with pretty much every game I played between 1997 and 2004. Couldn't get enough of that poo poo for some reason. Sometimes I would just watch the FF7 and Diablo 2 cutscenes on their own for enjoyment.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cutscene Watching is nearly unfathomable to me because nothing will ever approach the majesty of the opening cinematic to Dawn of War.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

Cutscene Watching is nearly unfathomable to me because nothing will ever approach the majesty of the opening cinematic to Dawn of War. MechWarrior 2

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Actually the wow intro kicked insane amounts of rear end too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlVSJ0AvZe0

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

giogadi posted:

Playing Lunar Silver Star Story Complete had me wishing that they did more voiced bits. The first couple FMV and voiced segments of that game tricked me into thinking Alex was gonna be a real character with a personality who would talk to the other party members.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

giogadi posted:

Good point actually. Back in the day FMVs were the COOLEST poo poo and I’d lose it when I got to another pre-rendered cutscene in a jrpg as a kid

Yeah thinking about it this tracks, I stopped watching cutscenes around the time they started happening in-game. There's something uncanny about video game character animation that has never meshed well with 'sit back and watch' to me

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah thinking about it this tracks, I stopped watching cutscenes around the time they started happening in-game. There's something uncanny about video game character animation that has never meshed well with 'sit back and watch' to me

There might be something to that, but for me personally I think the important factor was that I used to be 14 years old and now I’m not

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Actually the wow intro kicked insane amounts of rear end too

Honestly this still looks really good somehow. We definitely need more sickass CGI intros in games again.

On another note, its funny to see Souls youtubers force themselves into caring about Armoured Core, despite the fact that its been around for a million years and they've never given a poo poo until it was relevant to the content on their channel. Even if they don't like it they're going to pretend they do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

Honestly this still looks really good somehow. We definitely need more sickass CGI intros in games again.

On another note, its funny to see Souls youtubers force themselves into caring about Armoured Core, despite the fact that its been around for a million years and they've never given a poo poo until it was relevant to the content on their channel. Even if they don't like it they're going to pretend they do.

I was imagining elden ring with that oorah ace combat background dialogue

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

giogadi posted:

There might be something to that, but for me personally I think the important factor was that I used to be 14 years old and now I’m not

It's the damndest thing, all of my favorite media just got worse around 2004-2005.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My favorite time for cutscenes is between 94 and Diablo 2.

Nightmare fuel playdough people trying to animate and FMVs with bad (but good!) acting.
That CD is 600 MB we gotta add something to this 10 MB game!

Diablo 2 voice acting and sound design elevated those cutscenes into movie quality for me. And MGS and Half Life proved you're better off doing it in game anyway.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Diablo 2 cutscenes fuckin slapped

The wow opening cinematic was published online as basically a commercial for the game, it was a really well-made cutscene and I think it wound up being pretty effective. They've made a lot of pretty impressive animations actually, some of the Overwatch stuff was really good too

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm (SUUUUPER slowly) playing through Cyberpunk, and I really love all the bits where I'm not shooing at someone. People KEEP telling me the gunplay gets easy, I'm at the bit where we're planning to jump onto some guy's float, which I'm given to believe is quite far in, and I've respecced everything into trying to make my guns do damage, and STILL my guns don't do any damage. This game is fuckin' poo poo. ANYWAY, more cutscenes.

Also, the opening cinematic from Dawn of War (the 1st one) is up there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBgXH7eyRo4 It's probably as good as Astartes. (Which if you haven't watched, just, loving... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A watch it. Ignore the request to watch the OG video first, GW shat the bed and shut it down because they are loving morons). I get these are both 40k vids, I PROMISE you don't have to be a warham to think they're great though.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Back when the first Dawn of War released, I'd never heard of Warhammer and I had no interest in playing DoW...

Right up until I saw the intro. Fully sick. I don't even remember the context of how I saw the video, because the game is a year older than YouTube. Maybe a friend had a copy?

In any event, I bought the game by the strength of the intro alone, with my pitiful paycheck waiting tables in high school, and it was worth every penny.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

!Klams posted:

I'm (SUUUUPER slowly) playing through Cyberpunk, and I really love all the bits where I'm not shooing at someone. People KEEP telling me the gunplay gets easy, I'm at the bit where we're planning to jump onto some guy's float, which I'm given to believe is quite far in, and I've respecced everything into trying to make my guns do damage, and STILL my guns don't do any damage. This game is fuckin' poo poo. ANYWAY, more cutscenes.

Just specc fully into magic hacking instead. Solves the shooting segments cause you can take out enemies with a single mindhack and get enough charge back and low cooldown to keep doing it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Archer666 posted:

Just specc fully into magic hacking instead. Solves the shooting segments cause you can take out enemies with a single mindhack and get enough charge back and low cooldown to keep doing it.

Oh, foreal? Man. I've made this point like 12 times in various places and everyone's always just said "NAH FAM, DEM GUNS GET BARE PENG LATE GAME INNIT, TRUST" or something similar. I wish someone had let me know this earlier! Thank you!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mantis blades too

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I played Cyberpunk a year after it came out and speced into hacking, and both my hacks and my guns were one shotting people. The tier of gun made a huge difference though. I think they've also totally rebalanced the game since then so maybe nothing anyone says will make sense!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 43 hours!)

giogadi posted:

mgsV

roomtone fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 26, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

Barudak
May 7, 2007

!Klams posted:

Oh, foreal? Man. I've made this point like 12 times in various places and everyone's always just said "NAH FAM, DEM GUNS GET BARE PENG LATE GAME INNIT, TRUST" or something similar. I wish someone had let me know this earlier! Thank you!

Hacking is one hit kills from range that can extend to other enemies to also one hit kill them
Melee can be one hit kills and block bullets
Heavy Machine Guns barf damage and obliterate all enemies

Can't vouch for anything else.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

!Klams posted:

ya the gunplay gets easy when you max out on purple-rarity defense mods, dump the lovely guns, and use a samurai sword

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

giogadi posted:

I really love cutscenes and think they do a lot for pacing and just making games more chill. I love getting a chance to have a little break and cutscenes still feel like I'm getting some type of reward.

In Kingdom Hearts 3, I wanted "more cutscenes" but in a literal sense. The structure was off compared to KH2. You'd get a few little tiny cutscenes in each world, and then once you were done with the world you would get like 20-40 minutes of uninterrupted cutscenes. This sucked for me. The give and take between gameplay and cutscenes is important and they can make each other better, but when you're having to watch a tv episode-length cutscene without warning while you want to play it sucks. KH2 has 2-10 minute cutscenes happen every 30 minutes or so, and it just feels much better and easier to focus on because you know you won't have to be watching for so long.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Xenogears needed more FMV cutscenes and another year of work on its script.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Xenogears should be remastered so that the 2nd disc gets big CGI cutscenes to tell the story. The cutscenes should consist entirely of lovingly rendered Fei or Ellie sitting in a chair talking.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I actually thought that Da Chair Z0ne was a nice tempo shift and break from the rest of the game, but parts of it are inexcusable.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I think we can all agree that the appropriate place for the cutscene is after the boss fight.

Cut scenes before a boss fight, even skippable ones, are a mortal sin :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The boss fight should be a cut scene. It's your reward after playing through a bunch of crap to watch a bit of movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vampire Panties posted:

I think we can all agree that the appropriate place for the cutscene is after the boss fight.

Cut scenes before a boss fight, even skippable ones, are a mortal sin :colbert:

This is Senator Armstrong erasure.