Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Years ago I was on a press trip to see some 1C Company games in Moscow, and the tickets their PR company got for me were Aeroflot. We flew from Helsinki to St. Petersburg for refueling and de-icing, and then onwards to Moscow. This was in the dead of winter, back when we still had snow at winter.

I had a seat by the wing and I was extremely surprised to see that instead of the pump trucks that shoot purple stuff all over the wings to de-ice them, the ground crew at St. Petersburg used some kind of weird low powered flamethrowers to not blast the wings or anything, but just kinda ... sweep over them. A bunch of very bored looking Russian guys chain smoking in a blizzard and standing there waving these weird heat blower things around.

I've spent a long time trying to figure out exactly what they were doing and if those things are actually something a reasonable airline should be using in .... I wanna say like 2006?

E: on the way back I had a seat by one of the emergency exits, and a smiling flight attendant explained to me prior to take-off that the door will make a lot of noise in flight and it will look bad, but don't worry, it cannot fall off. And sure enough, the thing sounded like this washing machine the entire flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8&t=17s

No, afaik no airline should be using those due to the risk of allowing ice to re-form on the wing. Air Florida Flight 90 is instructive in this regard; they tried to use the jetwash of the aircraft in front of them as poor man's deicing (*among other things), and paid the price with their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Any news of the Russian advances in the north? They made some rapid gains there.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Toxic Mental posted:

Is there weird warble on the video or is that his voice?

he has/had a disease iirc

I'm really curious where he gets his opinions from, a lot of his platform is just bog standard democrat stuff but then he's got weird ideas like COVID being a Chinese-Jewish joint venture to destroy America. His son Conor apparently is a big supporter of Ukraine

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Any news of the Russian advances in the north? They made some rapid gains there.

The only source I can find about any Russian advances is TASS and that's less reliable than toilet paper. Every other mention of advances end up being localized counterattacks that get wiped out and held off by Ukraine, but the Russians did get close to a win here before loving it up and losing:

https://twitter.com/albir2024/status/1684235824341164034?s=20

The Deputy Defense Minister also reports failed Russian attacks in the Kupiansk and Lyman directions:

https://twitter.com/Ukraine_Oracle/status/1684244337557745667?s=20

These would be what our pal Girkin would call "meat assaults" if he weren't in jail atm

---------------------

Oh would you look at the time, its Storm Shadow o'clock

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...sh=216956a061ff

quote:

The Russians Packed Hundreds Of Vehicles Into A Crimean Repair Depot. The Ukrainians Just Hit It With A Cruise Missile.

There’s a vehicle park, in Novostepne a mile south of Dzhankoi in Russian-occupied northern Crimea, where Russian forces fighting in southern Ukraine send their damaged vehicles for repair.

On Monday, it exploded. According to Russian sources, a British-made Storm Shadow cruise missile, fired by a Ukrainian air force Sukhoi Su-24 bomber, was responsible for the blast.

How many vehicles were at the site at the moment of the Ukrainian strike is unclear. How many vehicles the strike destroyed also is unclear.

In the best-case scenario for Ukraine, a single cruise missile may have destroyed a hundred or more vehicles, inflicting nearly as much damage on Russian forces as the entire Ukrainian southern command has inflicted in the seven weeks since it launched its long-anticipated counteroffensive in Zaporizhzhia and Donetsk Oblasts.

Even the worst-case scenario for Ukraine—minimal vehicle losses in Novostepne—still is good news. The strike at the very least should compel the Russians to disperse their logistical infrastructure in southern Ukraine, which would disrupt and slow vehicle repairs.

A billowing cloud of smoke and dust was, for residents of Crimea, the first evidence of the Monday strike. Russian sources soon confirmed the Ukrainian attack.

“Su-24 aircraft of the Ukrainian air force fired four Storm Shadow cruise missiles,” Mikhail Sergeevich Zvinchuk, a Russian author who writes under the name “Rybar,” explained on his popular Telegram channel.

Three of the missiles targeted an ammunition depot near Vil’ne, 10 miles south of Dzhankoi. The other zeroed in on Novostepne. “All four hit their targets,” Zvinchuk wrote.

The number of vehicles in Novostepne has varied across the 17 months of Russia’s wider war on Ukraine, but a year ago there were hundreds at the repair facility. Satellite imagery from August 2022 reveals tanks, fighting vehicles and trucks parked track to track, wheel to wheel.

A direct hit on a tank or fighting vehicle by a 1.5-ton Storm Shadow would, at the very least, destroy or badly damage that vehicle and any other vehicles for hundreds of yards in all directions.

If some of the vehicles had live ammunition onboard, a chain reaction was possible. To understand how devastating that could be, consider the accidental fire that triggered a series of ammunition explosions at a U.S. Army vehicle park in Doha, Kuwait in July 1991. The conflagration destroyed a hundred vehicles including four M-1 tanks.

The analysts at the independent Conflict Intelligence Team noted the absence of secondary explosions in Novostepne—a possible sign there was no chain reaction.

In any event, the strike is an ominous sign for the Russians. The Ukrainian air force still has potentially dozens of Su-24s and enough Storm Shadows and similar French-made SCALP cruise missiles to continue striking at Russian depots in Crimea, and across occupied Ukraine, indefinitely.

No vehicle park is safe, not even one under the protection of air-defense units. The stealthy cruise missiles, which range as far as 155 miles, have proved extremely difficult to intercept.

Fearful of the Ukrainian military’s fast-improving deep-strike capabilities—rockets, drones and now cruise missiles—the Kremlin last year began shifting its depots farther from the front line.

That had the effect of “forcing the [armed forces of Ukraine] to start targeting known depots located farther back,” CIT noted. Novostepne is 90 miles from the front line. Not nearly far enough to protect it from a Storm Shadow launched by an Su-24 flying a safe distance inside Ukrainian lines.

The Russian field armies in southern Ukraine could pull back their big depots even farther—perhaps concentrating them in southern Crimea. That might reduce the Storm Shadow threat, but it can’t eliminate it.

The Ukrainian air force proved it could operate over the western Black Sea when, last year, it mounted a sustained bombing campaign targeting Russian troops on Snake Island, 80 miles south of the free port of Odesa. The Russians evacuated their island garrison last summer.

Snake Island is fewer than a hundred miles from Crimea. A cruise-missile-armed Su-24 flying over the western Black Sea can hit targets anywhere in Crimea.

The Kremlin could disperse its repair bases instead of merely moving them—reducing the overall risk by presenting the Ukrainians with more, and smaller, targets. But inasmuch as logistics benefits from scale, this dispersal would come at the cost of efficiency. Fewer vehicles repaired slower.

Either way, the Ukrainians win and the Russians lose. Ukraine’s cruise missiles are making it harder for Russia to keep its brigades in southern Ukraine fully equipped.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 26, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

spankmeister posted:

According to Deepstate Russia took two settlements SW of Svatove yesterday. (They originally reported three taken but amended that today)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://www.newsweek.com/russian-soldiers-killed-ukraine-bakhmut-compensation-putin-war-1815514

quote:

Soldiers Say Russia Leaving Bodies on Battlefield to Skip Family Payouts

Russian soldiers in Ukraine have said the defense ministry is abandoning the bodies of fighters killed on the battlefield so it doesn't have to pay compensation to families.

The Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty news site Sever.Realii spoke to the mother of Russian soldier Mikhail Cherkasov. She was told by his comrades that her son had beenkilled near Bakhmut on June 19, after two-and-a-half months in Ukraine.

On January 3, President Vladimir Putin signed a decree promising to pay 5 million rubles ($55,600) to the families of Russian soldiers killed in the war. Troops who are injured or experience trauma on the battlefield will receive 3 million rubles ($33,300), under legislation from March 2022.

However, Cherkasov's comrades told his mother, Polina Cherkasova, that the Russian defense ministry had left his body on the battlefield as it would not be "profitable" to bring him home.

She told the news outlet: "I don't ask for anything else: just bring me the body. But the platoon commander also said that he was sorry, sympathized, but that he would not send his guys for the body … because the fighting was still going on."

Cherkasova said the commander added: "Do you know how many dead bodies there are? It's terrible what's going on here. When we went on a mission, there were 20 corpses lying around."

Her son died after a drone strike blew off his legs, soldiers told his mother. "They helped him, put tourniquets on him, but Mishka didn't survive. I didn't believe them at first, but when they sent me money from his [payment] card, I realized it was true," she said.

When she attempted to get answers from local military authorities, she found they had no information on her son. He was not listed as dead or missing.

"In my heart, though, I hope that he is alive, but I myself know very well. He hasn't called me all this time and he would definitely call me somehow. At the front, he called me from the guys' phone, but promised that he would buy a phone and call me every day," Cherkasova added.

Newsweek has reached out to Russia's defense ministry for comment via email.

It's not the first time Russian troops have voiced frustration over failures to pay compensation.

A report by Russia's state-run news agency RIA Novosti, published in March with the headline "We didn't expect this," included interviews with injured soldiers who had not received the funds promised by the Russian president.

A week into the war, Putin said it was "our duty to support the families of our fallen and injured war comrades."

RIA Novosti's report said soldiers had complained to a human rights activist in Russia. "We've been taken advantage of," one was quoted as saying.

The report added that Russian fighters want authorities to deal with this problem "before it becomes widespread."

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

"the" Ukraine.

"Lugansk".

Talks about Stalingrad but casts defending Ukrainians as the invading Nazis :psyduck:

Says invading Ukraine is just Russia concerned about their territorial integrity. :psyduck:

Aegis Missile Systems within "12 minutes of Moscow" like uh, I don't think Ukraine has an Aegis System?? And what does "within 12 minute of Moscow" even mean? Does he think Moscow is where all of their nuclear missiles are?? He's somehow concerned that if Russia launches a nuclear first strike that these imaginary missiles that Ukraine doesn't have will shoot down Russia's nukes? And that's *bad* :psyduck:

Interesting news about the apparently secret Minsk III and IV agreements from 2019 and 2020 that Zelensky "ran on signing".

loving hell lol :byetankie:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol our lil himars is popular in the lepers colony today

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The telegram channel I was reading about the Russian advance in the north said that the northern advance was extremely costly so I wouldn’t be surprised if they stopped. Pyrrhic victories seem to be the MO for Russian commanders so I wouldn’t be shocked.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

please assure that the himars probe is delivered promptly to everyone who asked for it until the admins have to issue backhands for spamming the lc with mid poo poo. no shying out

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is RFK Jr. a republican plant to siphon votes away from a less insane democrat?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yes

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HonorableTB posted:

lol our lil himars is popular in the lepers colony today

Kind of astonished there aren't any "please stop ruining my leper's colony experience by spamming cringe" complaints (at least as far I know[yet]) and to that end, el oh el.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
US Apache chilling on the Ukraine/Moldova border. I guess they've got some gear there after all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

US Apache chilling on the Ukraine/Moldova border. I guess they've got some gear there after all.

:getin:

Russia and Belarus banned from 2024 Paris Olympics; why Putin is 'boxed in'; Russia-North Korea deal
https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...-china-12541713

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Tai posted:

There's been helicopter stuff going on around there for most of the war, mainly Blackhawks operating out of constanta. I've seen an increase in Apaches and Chinooks since the grain deal ended though.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

spankmeister posted:

There Is a description in this report: https://youtu.be/wIyKVk4OiiA

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It's been laughing again. Turned it into two black menger cube hyperdice and been juggling them since. Cup the universe and spin the dice to stack them. Feel the pips under fingertips like seeing a shining path in the dark. Twist sixes where you need them. Do a barrel roll. Thread the needle. Gonna be closer than lizard whiskers but snake eyes is all Putin is going to see.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.
Luck and Victory to Ukraine!

\invoke d6 prime -.02 dev neutrino

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

mobby_6kl posted:

:getin:

Russia and Belarus banned from 2024 Paris Olympics; why Putin is 'boxed in'; Russia-North Korea deal
https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...-china-12541713

IOC really wants daddy Putins armed forces to participate in the Olympics and everyone should boycott it if they get their will. Participating under a neutral flag is still participation and we all know what country they represent

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Blistex posted:

That's the theory but I can't imagine many democrats currently voting for a guy saying "vaccines were made to help the Jews and the Chinese."

So basically, he's a conservative that says he isn't and won't get support, but is running anyway, for some reason.

Oh, he also does HGH but thinks vaccines are "poison " so you know he's a thinker.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Seems like Ukraine is going slow but steady in the Donbas right now. Any news of the massing units north of Kharkiv? Also any more information on how Ukrainians are adapting and improving on combined arms and maneuver tactics? I realize they're in a tough spot without fixed wing CAS.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

That's the theory but I can't imagine many democrats currently voting for a guy saying "vaccines were made to help the Jews and the Chinese."

So basically, he's a conservative that says he isn't and won't get support, but is running anyway, for some reason.

Oh, he also does HGH but thinks vaccines are "poison " so you know he's a thinker.

And even after the HGH, he struggles to do 10 really bad push ups

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1673053159172833280

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

EorayMel posted:

Kind of astonished there aren't any "please stop ruining my leper's colony experience by spamming cringe" complaints (at least as far I know[yet]) and to that end, el oh el.

Our cringe must be sufficiently owned, only then will the admins put an stop to it

If you wanted to enjoy the lepers colony maybe you shouldn't be epic GBS cringers. I'm on the verge of tears right now from being proxy bullied.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

HonorableTB posted:

It looks as if there could be a potential spot for a breakthrough in the Zaporizhzhia direction. Ukraine just dumped 100 armored vehicles into an assault flanking Robotyne

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/07/26/ukraine-russia-war-romania-air-defence-putin-zelensky/

Ukraine has advanced northeast of Robotyne and taken the entire forest area in a 1.5km deep advance to the south

https://twitter.com/MilitaryLabb/status/1684222673151225857?s=20

Bonus stats: if Deputy Minister of Defense Hanna Maliar (Ukraine) is to be believed, the official KIA rate in Bakhmut direction is 8 Russians to every 1 Ukrainian.

E2: sorry lots of cool stuff to post today. The Chief of the Security Service of Ukraine officially took responsibility for damaging the Crimean Bridge last year:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/07/26/7412986/

I mean, we knew this already, but good to have that confirmation
The Archangel Telegram says that apparently it was around 20 armored vehicles. Who tends to be more reliable, them or Rybar?
https://twitter.com/astraiaintel/status/1684173344260644865

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

the Democrat sounds like a rambling moron.
Its RFK.

He's as much of a Dem or Lefty as the Tankies are or IOW not at all.

Fox likes to take those types on their shows and use them as handy punching bags to strawman as representative of the Dems/Left/Other/etc. Geraldo was one of them to give you an idea of the caliber of these sorts of people.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Crybar often tells lies, it's not surprising if so

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Rybar is about as reliable as Armchair Warlord lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1684270499063296001
Milbloggers really have not had a good time this month.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Rybar is very unreliable, as are all the others like WarGonzo, Zoka200, etc. They have value though because you can figure out a good bit about what Ukraine is doing just by paying attention to what they're crying about on any given day.

It's hilarious that Rybar exaggerated 20 vehicles into 100 though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
reliability is impossible, its war

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Rybar is very unreliable, as are all the others like WarGonzo, Zoka200, etc. They have value though because you can figure out a good bit about what Ukraine is doing just by paying attention to what they're crying about on any given day.

It's hilarious that Rybar exaggerated 20 vehicles into 100 though

Speaking of 200_zoka, they deleted their twitter sometime last week, lmao. Not long after Pekka Kallionemi on Twitter published a vatnik soup thread on them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

The only source I can find about any Russian advances is TASS and that's less reliable than toilet paper. Every other mention of advances end up being localized counterattacks that get wiped out and held off by Ukraine, but the Russians did get close to a win here before loving it up and losing:
-
The Deputy Defense Minister also reports failed Russian attacks in the Kupiansk and Lyman directions:
-
These would be what our pal Girkin would call "meat assaults" if he weren't in jail atm

Flavahbeast posted:

According to Deepstate Russia took two settlements SW of Svatove yesterday. (They originally reported three taken but amended that today)

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

There Is a description in this report: https://youtu.be/wIyKVk4OiiA

Thank you all. It's a little concerning but hopefully they won't get very far.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Blistex posted:

Yeah. Here's what's going to happen: He's gonna run in the primaries and will lose to Biden. Then he'll declare he's running as an independent.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Yeah. Here's what's going to happen: He's gonna run in the primaries and will lose to Biden. Then he'll declare he's running as an independent.

...And since Trump will either run or do a revenge-run to fracture the GOP the question "Why would anyone vote for that insane clown in the next election?" starts to need more details.

chair lunch dinner
Apr 30, 2009

edit - sorry wrong forum

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Pookah posted:

Really bad pushups

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

This is some F tier Leonard Cohen cosplay, not gonna lie.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pookah posted:

how the gently caress does anyone struggle that much with that few pushups with that limited of an RoM

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

wet_goods posted:

If Russia is actually going to actively use their navy more and bring them out of port they are bound to lose ships, if Ukraine can sink the flagship of their fleet they are going to pick off ships all year and that is horrible press, just more flailing from Moscow

Yes. There is no way to spin into a victory or positive story how Russian Black sea fleet is losing the naval warfare, again, to a country that does not have a navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes. There is no way to spin into a victory or positive story how Russian Black sea fleet is losing the naval warfare, again, to a country that does not have a navy.

Classic Wargames strategy.