Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

guppy posted:

Wasn't Native Instruments bought by a private equity firm? I like my S2 (Mk II, I think), but I wonder if they are going to get shittier.

I sometimes wonder if I made a mistake going the NI route. I need some DJ functions, but do not care about 90% of the stuff these things can do, because I do not need to mix smoothly from one song to another, and I wonder if Serato would have been a better choice. Probably doesn't really matter, if I'm only using the most basic 10% of the functions any of the big players would probably have been fine.

NI recently has ramped up Traktor development again, and are finally moving to add modern features that have become standard across most other DJ apps over the years. However they basically didn't do poo poo with Traktor for a decade and it went from having clear advantages to recommend it over the more industry standard brands for many people, to being hard to recommend over more popular systems (that also have higher end upgrade paths for hardware). I do still like their hardware and software (still have a S4 mk2 I use at home and I still use Traktor to manage my library for my Denon hardware using DJCU to convert it) but if I had got into DJing more recently I probably wouldn't have ended up on Traktor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

modern features that have become standard across most other DJ apps

We’ll see flexible beatgrids at Traktor 4, I have no hope left.

I want something that analyzes and grids tracks that is not part of Traktor itself. Just run that poo poo on another core and let it chug through my NAS, skipping everything over 20 minutes or something.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Laserjet 4P posted:

We’ll see flexible beatgrids at Traktor 4, I have no hope left.

I want something that analyzes and grids tracks that is not part of Traktor itself. Just run that poo poo on another core and let it chug through my NAS, skipping everything over 20 minutes or something.

Isn't that basically Mixed in Key?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I broke beatport while trying to search for pre 2010 breakbeat. Just straight up stops playing tracks and the site locks up.

That's not the breaks I was hoping to find >:|

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah since the redesign a few days ago search feels faster but playing tracks breaks often

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We can only have one nice thing at a time :mad:

I've been having a fun time trying to find tracks to lay around this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEdVyskZUhI

e: I mean genuinely a fun time. Sometimes just hunting around leads to all sorts of cool tracks you never considered. Breaks categories are full of those for me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 16, 2023

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Spaced God posted:

Isn't that basically Mixed in Key?

Nah, mixed in key doesn't do gridding. I occasionally go poking around github for stuff related to serato / traktor and I can't recall seeing anyone even attempting to write a grid from scratch, it's almost always converting one software's grid to another.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think I've ever seen beatport put up a warning like this, things must be pretty fuckin bad lol

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Even when Beatport works it's lovely

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

site posted:

I don't think I've ever seen beatport put up a warning like this, things must be pretty fuckin bad lol

I think it would be easier to just list the parts of the website that ARE still working…

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yo, earthshaking moment here.

So I'm randomly googling around I think I came across the term that defines the genre I've been searching for.

Apparently I'm looking for progressive breaks.

I've been floating along the river of Prog House, Trance, DnB, and somehow nothing really tugged at my heartstrings with conviction. Don't get me wrong, there are amazing tracks I absolutely adore in each genre, but as a whole I find that they fail to hold my attention long term. Prog House came closest but it was still lacking something I just couldn't put my finger on. It's super hard to articulate, I just couldn't see myself playing an hour plus set of any of these. Not because they're not amazing and I couldn't string together an hour of bangers, but because I just don't think that's what I want to play for an hour.

In retrospect this makes perfect sense. I may or may not have mentioned pages and pages ago that while I've been into jungle and DnB for longer, my real lasting hook into wider electronic music was Sasha and Digweed's Exposures series, and if I look at the tracks that really formed my opinion on what I love in my heart of hearts, they all seem to fit into what google just helped define for me.

Honestly all I want to do now is go find a ton of amazing prog breaks from the mid to late 90s and string them together for hours on end. The few I have also seem to mix into prog house and trance tracks I love to boot.

I feel like I'm still finding myself as a bedroom DJ, but I haven't felt this excited since I unboxed my CDJs. Seriously, ugh.. why am I posting about it instead of playing more!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 17, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If we're thinking of the same thing that was a lot of late 90s California stuff, check out City of Angels, Hardkiss [definitely more house-ey] and Rampant. As far as DJ mixes there's the John Kelly funkydesertbreaks series, Taylor's DJ Allstarz in the Mix and United DJs of America 10, plus Planet Rampant 1-3.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 17, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely some overlap there, and some good stuff from what I managed to scrounge up online, thanks for the recos!

I've been nose deep in beatport for the past few days scouring and cross referencing so many tracks. Unfortunately ZipDJ's breaks category is thin with a capital T..

Honestly I'm at the point where my library is big enough that I don't really find a lot of value in ZipDJ. It was good for hoovering up a lot of random stuff so I could learn and practice beatmatching on more than five tracks, but now I'm at least pretending to be more discerning (I say having dropped probably $150 on tracks over the weekend lol). Even beatport is starting to fail me on some older material from the early to mid 90s so I'm kind of dipping into discogs too. Have two CDs coming in the mail for stuff I just HAD to have and couldn't really (legitimately or illegitimately) find anywhere else. Discogs definitely not a viable solution costwise so I'm going to have to cool it for now. May be my only option for the last holdouts though, unless there's some magic pool with a huge catalog of 90s electronic music I'm not aware of.

Completely aside, I found a cool trend that, on a number of occasions, when I found tracks I was hunting for on YouTube just to preview, they included comments about how so and so vividly remembers this from a Sasha and Digweed set in the 90s. Like I said, not a surprise. They were the duo that I formed my tastes around. It's just funny that I'm tracking down music that fits that mold and, sure enough, it was in a S&D set at some point :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So tracks that are analyzed or come pre-analyzed at 80-something BPM -- It's almost always 160+ BPM dnb that shows up as 80-something.

When I flip the rekordbox analysis setting to encompass the higher BPM range it hasn't failed to detect a proper grid and BPM so I presume this is correct, but am I missing some "big picture" reason why you'd want these to actually be analyzed at half-speed?

The only reason I'm not saying yeah this is an obvious conclusion is that these come from zipdj and beatport as half-BPM as well and, yeah I totally get this is just the same software algorithm analyzing poo poo behind the scenes before dumping it into their database along with hundreds of other cookie cutter tracks that no one is going to manually adjust, but I figured that at some point labels or artists would have been like "hey yeah this is the wrong bpm" and updated it themselves? Or that the default analysis profile for breaks/dnb would be something that... encompasses typical dnb BPMs?

No? Am I overthinking it? Probably?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I very much doubt labels and artists care much about that at all, if they even notice it.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I presume it's the zip/beatport/djcity/juno software that sets the bpm, if they were to set it up to include those high tempos then it would get a lot of other tracks x2 too fast, so like nearly everything it's a compromise. I am curious if there's a form (or like ID3 tag but they prolly submit .wav?) the labels fill out for like suggested genre, bpm, release year, ect. I think it would also be easy to include some sort of code so that it sees: "if genre=dnb use=150-190".

I add my tracks to itunes and then tap them out [this is the best bpm tapper i've ever used: http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm], then watch for any crazy changes when rekrodbox/serato/ect analyzes it. Don't really bother with house beat type stuff cause those come nearly always correct now but anything with a breakbeat I double check.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

So I'm turning 50 in a few weeks (what the actual gently caress) and instead of buying a motor bike/sports car/having an affair as a mid life crisis I went and bought the Denon SC Live 4 to replace my DDJ-400. I wanted a standalone unit as having to setup a laptop to have a quick mix was getting kind of tedious. Decided to go the Denon/Engine OS route as the equivalent Pioneer cost significantly more for fewer features.

The good - almost everything. Particular things I like are:

The layout, it's pretty much the same as the DDJ-x00 series, so everything is where I am used to it being, made the transition easy.

The effects. Instead of the switch for the beat effects like on Pioneer gear, the Live has a click dial so the list of effects is not fixed. The latest version of Engine OS apparently added a bunch. I like that it is future proof. And the control on those effects is great. You're not limited to just time. Pressing the time knob gives access to other settings depending on what effect is selected. Touch effects were added in the same OS update. This turns the screen into an effects control panel. A bit gimmicky, but kind of cool at the same time. Only issue is that the touch effects are pretty much on or off. Where you touch generally controls the time or the frequency range for the effect, so on a single playing track it is really obvious and a bit jarring. If you use them on a second track they work well. Loading the same track on two decks lining them up and using the touch effects on one of them might be a solution. And having 4 decks to play with makes this doable.

The loop controls are, I think, a significant improvement over Pioneer. The click dial for changing the loop length is really good as is the loop on off via pressing the same dial.

EngineOS is pretty slick. Easy to navigate and pretty intuitive. That said, I have found that although beat detection for the BPM is good, the actual beat grid is regularly out, either by a couple of beats or not on the beat at all. I must have hosed up importing my Rekordbox collection as although cue points have come across it didn't seem to pull the already existing and correct beat grids, so I might need to do that again.

The good thing is that the beat grid editing on the controller is excellent, easy to access and use, so even while mixing it is trivial to correct a beat grid on the fly.

The inbuilt speakers are okay for messing around and better than I was expecting, but I'm still going to be plugging it in to a proper system most of the time.

Overall very happy with this and if anyone is thinking about upgrading to an all in one, this is definitely worth considering.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love reading about Denon stuff tbh. I'm looking back at my decision to go with the CDJ3K over the SC6K and I think it was because Denon had no concept of a memcue and I got it in my head (as someone that has literally maybe a month or two of experience total, I will remind you) that I absolutely positively had to have memcues vs hotcues and I'm so embarrassed that I'm even typing this out.

I'm pretty certain that in my life circumstances, where I will probably statistically win the lottery before I'm in a position to have to use "pro" pioneer gear on stage, that the Denons would have been the smarter buy if I was thinking rationally.

(Don't get me wrong though, I love love love my CDJs)

---

If anyone is looking to go on a beatport shopping spree or you want to finally pull the trigger on your holds bin, you might want to do it soon to save a few bucks. Someone on reddit crossposted to a bunch of EDM/DJ subreddits about a general pricing revamp August 14th:

General catalog: $1.49 (USD)
New Release: $1.69
Exclusive: $2.49
Lossless fee: $0.75

I was just googling to see who else was having issues with beatport rekordbox api integration since the site revamp and came across this so I guess I'll see if there's anything I really absolutely want in the next few days and save a few pennies here and there.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 27, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

New pioneer turntable is overpriced imo and half the people gushing over it dont realize u still need a computer for the dvs side

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

titty_baby_ posted:

New pioneer turntable is overpriced imo and half the people gushing over it dont realize u still need a computer for the dvs side

lmao

The only people who are going to buy this are 100% never going to play actual vinyl on them. Phase changed the game in a way that still sort of works well for traditional DJs to go head-to-head with DVS cats... and Pioneer look pathetic trying to catch up with this thing. LMAO at the 'MAGVEL clamp'; yeah I know what vinyl DJs are going to just love: a literal clamp that you have to take off to change your records.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Put a link jack on them and then be able to send songs to them from a cdj; bing bong

Like srsly if pio were smart they'd release a standalone mixer* with a cdj screen/usb and have a completely stand alone turntable/dvs setup

*MSRP $8,400

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao

The only people who are going to buy this are 100% never going to play actual vinyl on them. Phase changed the game in a way that still sort of works well for traditional DJs to go head-to-head with DVS cats... and Pioneer look pathetic trying to catch up with this thing. LMAO at the 'MAGVEL clamp'; yeah I know what vinyl DJs are going to just love: a literal clamp that you have to take off to change your records.

One of the guys in the comments said he would sell his reloop 8000s and phase for these lol

I've been wanting to get into dvs and ill probably just get that little reloop box thing or an older traktor interface. My entire djing set up (carts, needles, reloops, headphones, outboard fx, mixer, computer, and interface) will still cost several hundred less then two of these

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Virgil Vox posted:

Put a link jack on them and then be able to send songs to them from a cdj; bing bong

Like srsly if pio were smart they'd release a standalone mixer* with a cdj screen/usb and have a completely stand alone turntable/dvs setup

*MSRP $8,400
Denon should make their next model of cdj clones to have the dual layer capable of being a dvs interface for a turntable and able to load songs off the USB. Bing bang boom, ez pz

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
had a friend over running his stuff off DJay on an ipad into my modular racks, was fun enough that I bought a (dirt cheap ofc) Traktor S2 MK1; this is basically only useful with the PC/OSX versions of traktor, it doesn't do the MIDI thing to any random MIDI host, but was sub-100-bux and is much nicer to touch than cheapass modern ones in that price range.

Knowing me, if I get to a point where I'm using this in my own workflows, I will end up with some stupid, modern, chunky DJ controller that works with DJay and everything else.

Used is fine, what's the cheapest thing I can skate with? S2 MK1 has a nice heft to it, I don't want some cheapass feeling $80 numark thing.

edit: sure, I want a serato, and that'd be a real dumb use of cash for me :laugh:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I use my DDJ 400 almost exclusively with Djay, works great plug and play. It's definitely plastic but the faders and pots feel nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

my AT120 was damaged in transport a while back and I haven't had any way to spin vinyl for ages so I was idly thinking about picking up a new turntable right around when Pioneer dropped that thing. Without looking at the sticker tag I was like "yeah I guess if this is competitively priced maybe it's an option even if I never actually DJ with vinyl because, why not?

But yeah, I can get a used 1200 for half that, or just replace my AT120 with another since it was literally just fine for my use.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

qirex posted:

I use my DDJ 400 almost exclusively with Djay, works great plug and play. It's definitely plastic but the faders and pots feel nice.

Cool, this one I have seen mentioned, along with "also don't try to cheap out with the DDJ 200 it's crap".

I see a couple on reverb for 300-350ish, but need to hold off a bit.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

some kinda jackal posted:

my AT120 was damaged in transport a while back and I haven't had any way to spin vinyl for ages so I was idly thinking about picking up a new turntable right around when Pioneer dropped that thing. Without looking at the sticker tag I was like "yeah I guess if this is competitively priced maybe it's an option even if I never actually DJ with vinyl because, why not?

But yeah, I can get a used 1200 for half that, or just replace my AT120 with another since it was literally just fine for my use.
You can get a set of almost any super OEM turntables and nice carts and needles for the same price or less then the pio thing

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm trying to be generous to Pioneer and maybe I just haven't had time to get jaded yet. Like if it was $500 cheaper I don't really see any downside to buying one as a vinyl turntable vs a used 1200 unless it just absoliutely fails at that for some reason. Like I don't get the magvel clamp for sure but I mean.. if you're just mixing vinyl, the turntable has a spindle and.. like I don't understand how the magvel thing is required in any way shape or form? Is it a scratching thing?I have no idea.

My biggest issue is the price to be sure, but I'm also NOT approaching it from a DJ-first use case. IF it were cheaper I'd consider it just to have a turntable I could play vinyl on, and MAYBE dip a toe into DVS without additional hardware. Dunno.

I *DO* need to buy a turntable because I just brought home like 80lbs of city pop from my vaca in Japan with nothing to play it on :|

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rip $1.29 i will miss you

an extra 20 cents is fine if people are getting paid

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Two bucks Canadian for general release and two-thirty for new releases DOES feel like it'll be a bit of a mental hurdle for me, but this is probably good anyway. I can't count the number of times I've gone back through rekordbox and played a track and I'm like "what the gently caress is this, this sucks -- I hope this came from ZipDJ and isn't something I actually paid per-track for" and it turns out it was actually a beatport impulse buy...

Anyway my poor money management aside, I did sign with their mid tier straming plan so I can literally use anything in their back catalog in a mix right from my CDJs and I'll be leaning on that a lot harder now. Will still buy amazing tracks I love but hopefully this keeps me from that random "eh this is probably good" purchase.

Now that I mention it, I wonder if beatport tracks show up on my CDJ play history in rekordbox. Or how I would note down "yeah this is amazing I need this in my library ASAP" other than remembering and writing it down. I'll have to check when I get home tomorrow.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 6, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I cannot WAIT to try out these puppies. Got the Force at an absolute steal of a price - basically half off, because the SD card slot isn't working (but if the part comes in while it's still under warranty they'll honour the repair), plus my staff discount.

I also ordered a dub siren. Really gonna push myself to create something live instead of DJing, so stay tuned.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Real 'cited to hear about the Force.
I ordered a bare bones M2 Mac Mini, I want to see if it'll choke on Rekordbox + OBS. The sales support person on the phone wasn't very knowledgable, any time I mentioned I needed it to do something she just tacked on another grand of upgrades.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

That force looks insane. And the pricing seems reasonable given what it seems capable of. Maybe I should have got that instead of new decks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Whomst ITT uses angled stands for their CDJs? I seem to remember at least one of you cats, maybe Virgil Vox, has their decks above and behind the mixer.

I'm commissioning a friend to build me such an angled shelf so I can put my CDJs out of the way and have the Force, SP404, Virus, KP3 and dub siren in front next to the mixer. The question is, what angle do I make the shelf? I feel like steeper might be better in terms of accessibility but every example I see online seems a bit extreme. It's hard to visualize until I actually have it in front of me.

Edit: Also, I'm curious about the USB-A port on the DJM900NXS2. I know it's technically a send/return, but I'm wondering if that is _exclusively_ for the EFX1000 or whatever Pioneer's own FX unit is called. I want to connect my KP3 possibly through the send/return, and if it works via USB that's two fewer cables I need to buy.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 8, 2023

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Do you actually use CDs in your CDJs? If so, check their manual/specs to see how much of an angle they’re rated for. Otherwise you’ll burn out the motor for the disc drive way sooner than normal.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Do you actually use CDs in your CDJs? If so, check their manual/specs to see how much of an angle they’re rated for. Otherwise you’ll burn out the motor for the disc drive way sooner than normal.

Good point! But no, I haven't put discs in them since like 2014.

"I came to a full stop once in 2003 but my rims are still spinning."

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So, all I want is some software that will allow me to pitch digital files in any format (realistically only wav, flac, and mp3), nudge them, and maybe set one queue point, and mix between two tracks. I don't need an analysis or time-stretching or grid or effects or even a visual representation of the wave. I just need something that acts like two turntables without having to use a controller. Is there a, preferably free, software option that will let me do this? I just really don't feel like getting my other turntable out of the closet and shlepping all my records up into the limited space I have available just to do some mixing for fun.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Whomst ITT uses angled stands for their CDJs? I seem to remember at least one of you cats, maybe Virgil Vox, has their decks above and behind the mixer.

I'm commissioning a friend to build me such an angled shelf so I can put my CDJs out of the way and have the Force, SP404, Virus, KP3 and dub siren in front next to the mixer. The question is, what angle do I make the shelf? I feel like steeper might be better in terms of accessibility but every example I see online seems a bit extreme. It's hard to visualize until I actually have it in front of me.

Yeah, it's great:

At first I had this long base table I built:

But playing more than a few records sucked with how far you had to reach, so I was always re-arranging swapping the tables or cdjs next to the mixer. The base table sits on those ikea pieces with several 2x4s boards screwed in running front to back (lining up with the structure of the ikea, and ultimately the legs of the angle shelf too). I was playing more and more vinyl so I figured I would somehow get the cdjs up and at an angle, lots of mock-ups/measuring/ and geometry. Take the time to measure everything so you're comfortable.

The angled shelf is 13.5" by 50" this should allow 4 full size media players [not sure about the newest 3000 model tho, prolly need to make it higher like 15"]. a 45degree angle is perfect, any less and your arms will get tired reaching out too far, more extreme angles the jog wheels and controls just aren't ergonomic. The front edge of the angled shelf is 11" above the base table. Lots of angle brackets to secure it to the table, there's a lot of weight there, plus you push on it; build robustly!

It (and the table below) are made out of this shelving material from your fav big box hardware store. 3/4 thick MDF inside and a nice easy to clean texture outside. 2x4s and 3/4 thick plywood for the legs spray painted black. Those triangle plywood pieces that run up the back add a ton of rigidity. A lip of polycarbonate to catch the the players at the bottom edge.

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Oldstench posted:

So, all I want is some software that will allow me to pitch digital files in any format (realistically only wav, flac, and mp3), nudge them, and maybe set one queue point, and mix between two tracks. I don't need an analysis or time-stretching or grid or effects or even a visual representation of the wave. I just need something that acts like two turntables without having to use a controller. Is there a, preferably free, software option that will let me do this? I just really don't feel like getting my other turntable out of the closet and shlepping all my records up into the limited space I have available just to do some mixing for fun.

try Mixx an open source/free program: https://mixxx.org/ . Pretty much anything is gonna have the waveforms and effects now-a-days but there may be view options to hide those.