Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Interesting they haven't named a broadcast partner. It's always been on fightpass, hoping that remains the same, tho doesn't K1 broadcast on some random service? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the promo photos are so good

https://twitter.com/k1wgp_pr/status/1681104848081793024/photo/1

edit - they've announced most of the teams for the event

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 18, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yesss! Quintet!! And Sakuraba is still competing!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 18, 2023

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

edit - they've announced most of the teams for the event

[

I love watching Gregor Gracie. That dude is one hell of a good grappler.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yesss! Quintet!! And Sakuraba is still competing!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Looking forward to Quintet! Hopefully it's available to watch on anything except Fight Pass.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lol Kyle Boehm didn't get the uniform memo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Lol Kyle Boehm didn't get the uniform memo

I didn't think about it before, but these images sort of look like composite shots, right? I wonder if his shirt was in the mail.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone know what submission grappling looks like in Japan as far as popularity?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

I didn't think about it before, but these images sort of look like composite shots, right? I wonder if his shirt was in the mail.

they probably used photos from the previous quintet events as those were the uniforms 10p wore once or twice to them

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I wonder if that TBA person is yet another person from B-Team.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I feel like I'd be mad at Kyle for wearing the wrong rash guard.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Fractured my rib today while defending an RNC. Total freak accident, other guy did nothing out of the ordinary, and I need to go buy a lottery ticket as it's my third injury this year (some neck stuff, meniscus tear and now this). I feel fragile now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GSP v Maia at the Fight Pass Invitational (FPI?)

Two of my favorite fights ever, I like this a lot.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

oh poo poo yeah, i was wondering who they were getting for GSP's opponent, this'll be fun.

maia gonna whoop his rear end sorry to say

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland posted:

that legit is going to be so much fun

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's the ruleset for FPI?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

What's the ruleset for FPI?

Pretty sure the normal tournament matches on FPI are EBI rules with a few modifications, but the superfights are on their own ruleset (sometimes w/ overtime, sometimes without, etc)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when its tournaments they do ebi rules, when its super fights its modified ebi rules.

for example, smith/texeira the other week had multiple rounds, but typically ebi is 1 10min round or whatever rather than several.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also jack slack is asking the real question here and not 'what is kushti?'

https://twitter.com/JackSlackMMA/status/1681695772541059073

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, I've started to realize a couple qualities about my Jiu-Jitsu. One is that I don't get tired of drilling, I could drill one move for an hour straight and go home happy. I drill moves like Hannibal Lector inspects eggs; it's never perfect and each iteration is uniquely flawed. I just need to find someone else at the gym who feels the same way, because most people want to do the move 3-12 times and call it good.

Secondly, if something goes very wrong in a roll, like a failed pass leads to me being swept, I'll intentionally go back to that spot as many times as I can. I'm not being stubborn, it's just that I want to understand what's going wrong, and when, amd what can I change about it. And tjay requires a lot of observation. I realized today that it might look like stubbornness to an outside observer (like a coach lol).

If I could find a Judo Sensei who would just let me do a throw for an hour, with feedback, I'd be very happy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

also jack slack is asking the real question here and not 'what is kushti?'

what mouth breathing plebian doesnt know about indias national grappling sport Kushti?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
me

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mud wrasslin, but the mud has spices in it, which I think is an inspired choice.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Doesn't have to be wet mud, more like loose soil. Pretty cool, though going from videos on YouTube sometimes it's a bit theatrical like a wwe match, but it stems from legit wrestling culture which is very old. Wrestlers generally enter a stable when young, a but like sumo do, and all the athletes support each other through their winnings, cooking for each other etc.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Just finished up at Vagner Rocha's seminar. Holly poo poo the guy is nothing like his "on the mat" persona. He's like a really approachable, caring dad as a coach.

The info was pretty good, some pressure passing heuristics shown in four or so different sequences.

I am sick so I was sitting on the sidelines the whole time but still feel like I got something out of it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i slept in and missed the seminar (not that i was super enthused to go to it tbh)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It's wasn't anything mind-blowing, it just surprised me how Vagner came across more than anything.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
School shopping update. I did a couple of classes at the gracie academy ctc and a class +another night just watching at another place called veneration. I'm leaning towards veneration, but both guys were good with cross training, so I might pay for a few months of both just to be sure.

The gracie place people are cool and seem knowledgeable, and the curriculum seems good. Not that I know what would be good, but more the fact that you can easily see where the gaps in your knowledge are. Everything is clean. It wasn't explicitly stated, but is clear you have to wear their gi. Even though everyone seems cool, I feel less relaxed here but can't really pinpoint why.

I like the vibe at the veneration place, and felt pretty at home right off the bat. Cool logo. Can wear what gi you want. Has no-gi classes as well. The instructor at the other place trained here. They just moved to a new location and are adding more facilities and training spaces. I hope the mat is usually cleaner than what I saw sat morning though.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
One thing I've quickly learned from just a few classes that I didn't really remember from 20 years ago. Everyone smells different.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A dirty mat is super worrying, what did you see? I hate that that was an issue because I wanted to strongly suggest the better vibes school.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

A dirty mat is super worrying, what did you see? I hate that that was an issue because I wanted to strongly suggest the better vibes school.

Yea depends on exactly what you're seeing. If they're using light colored mats they'll still get kinda dirty looking even if they're spraying, mopping, and vacuuming after literally every single round of students. The only way to have a pristine looking mat with light colors is that you use a cover over the mats that people roll on and you wash that out, or you routinely buy new mats.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
At first I thought the guy I was drilling with had shed some leg hairs (pretty hairy legs) and it could have been the caae at the moment. But there were a couple of other times I noticed hair on the mats that seems in my limited experience to be more excessive than what may have been there from the 5 of us who were there.

They're still in the process of getting all of their matting installed in this new location so hopefully it's just a fluke. I have like 4 more free sessions I can take so I'll just try to take notice. I may just ask (without mentioning anything about what I noticed) what their general cleaning routine is.
I saw at the other place (most) everyone just jumps up and knocks out some cleaning right after class.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I had to teach a class on collar sleeve which I don’t really use so I spent 48 hours obsessing over the submeta and jon thomas videos about it.

It rules. I hit so many triangles today. It’s deeply satisfying to teach a move to a class and then hit that move on the people you just taught it to.

I’ve stayed away from the gi-specific guards for a long time, but they’re completely OP. I’m going to start playing two different games between gi and nogi classes.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I had to teach a class on collar sleeve which I don’t really use so I spent 48 hours obsessing over the submeta and jon thomas videos about it.

It rules. I hit so many triangles today. It’s deeply satisfying to teach a move to a class and then hit that move on the people you just taught it to.

I’ve stayed away from the gi-specific guards for a long time, but they’re completely OP. I’m going to start playing two different games between gi and nogi classes.

After not really training for about two years I started going to a school that does 90% no gi, and I'm kinda bad at it. Occasionally putting on a gi again reveals how much of my game is just unconciously shaped by doing Gi BJJ for 10 years and the need to make an intentional alterations in my positional choices instead of just playing no gi versions of the same things.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Sometimes I'll get the urge to just completely dominate a white belt but when it's time for randori I always end up letting them work on their attacks. Should I ever just (safely) gently caress a beginner up to see how far I've come or is that always a bad thing to do?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Sometimes I'll get the urge to just completely dominate a white belt but when it's time for randori I always end up letting them work on their attacks. Should I ever just (safely) gently caress a beginner up to see how far I've come or is that always a bad thing to do?

I usually just let white belts play around and beat up blue belts, because white belts can and will do poo poo to hurt themselves whereas by the time they hit blue they should know enough not to hurt themselves.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You've got to climb the skill ladder with attacks and pressure too. Can't just wake up one day and decide to pin and control everyone. So, sometimes it ends up that white belts are going to have a bad time with you.

I used to take it easy on wb every roll but was frustrated that I couldn't dominate positions when I wanted to. Felt like a weak purple/brown belt. So I started holding guys way worse than me down and hitting every sub that came my way. A couple years later and I'm getting compliments on my pressure and attacks from people my level.

Maybe don't do that every time you roll with them, pick a schedule. Obviously don't hurt people either.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Several trial classes in so far. I'm trying not to be spazzy white belt but then self preservation panic sets in lol.
Rolled with a brown belt this morning. He was getting me near submissions then letting me try to fight out of it, and i could tell he was offering me openings to go for, but I hadn't a clue what to do with them.

It's been a long time since I've had so much fun.

Edit: I guess the hairy mat thing was a one off. Idk but everything looked clean today and I saw people just jumping in, sweeping and spraying the mat after class

BounceBanana fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BounceBanana posted:

At first I thought the guy I was drilling with had shed some leg hairs (pretty hairy legs) and it could have been the caae at the moment. But there were a couple of other times I noticed hair on the mats that seems in my limited experience to be more excessive than what may have been there from the 5 of us who were there.

They're still in the process of getting all of their matting installed in this new location so hopefully it's just a fluke. I have like 4 more free sessions I can take so I'll just try to take notice. I may just ask (without mentioning anything about what I noticed) what their general cleaning routine is.
I saw at the other place (most) everyone just jumps up and knocks out some cleaning right after class.

idk if its just my weirdness or brain but i notice body hair a lot on the mats no matter where i've trained even after they clean the mats etc. after each class. obviously i don't know what you saw but if its just body hair, that stuff sheds a lot no matter what setting and you can find it in random spots if you look.