Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
EDIT: Double posted by mistake. This was supposed to be an edit to my last post but I hit the wrong button.

RisqueBarber posted:

What did you end up recalibrating at? I had the exact same mmr dip from divine to ancient after the glicko change and thought I might do the same thing. My buddy glicko calibrated at archon 2 got to archon 4 then used his recalibration and dropped to archon 1.

Hey, I think I may have completely forgotten to answer this question earlier. Sorry! Before glicko I was Divine 3, but I'll be the first to admit that was the high range for me me. Usually I hover around Divine 1. The highest I've ever been was Divine 4.

After forced calibration due to the new patch I dropped to Ancient 3 at 30% certainty. While pushing my certainty to 100, I dropped a bit more to Ancient 2. Then, for whatever reason, I started winning pretty regularly. Probably about 60 percent winrate.

So... I figured I had sort of re-learned how to play again, and after I raised back up to Ancient 3 I recalibrated again to try to get jump a few ranks back to where I was. But... I went on another losing streak as you saw in the first image. Luckily right before 30% certainty I won a few in a row and ended up back at Ancient 2. So all in all, I didn't lose a LOT, but it was another step back. But the moment my rank showed, games got easy again and that's when I posted my second image.

Since that last post I'm three wins from Ancient 5. But my winrate has leveled out to pretty much 50-50. I imagine at some point I'll have a good or bad run of games and raise or drop a level, but I don't think I'm gonna hit Divine anytime soon unless I get extraordinarily lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
UNDYING
Base Health Regen decreased from 0.25 to -0.25 (+1.9 HP Regen at Lvl 1)

o_O

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

NtotheTC posted:

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.33e

Patch notes, morph nerf thank christ

although the nerfs are fantastic I'm really going to miss hearing Sunsfans GRAB ALLY shouts

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ILL Machina posted:

UNDYING
Base Health Regen decreased from 0.25 to -0.25 (+1.9 HP Regen at Lvl 1)

o_O

Strength gives hp regen, base stats don't count bonuses from attributes, every hero has base attributes that ultimately modify their base stats

This is why some universal heroes have a base damage of like five

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Strength gives hp regen, base stats don't count bonuses from attributes, every hero has base attributes that ultimately modify their base stats

This is why some universal heroes have a base damage of like five

I get that, just don't remember seeing anyone with negative base regen stats before.

Looking at the unupdated wiki I guess my flabbergastination is warranted. 0.25 was the previous lowest for heroes and 0 for some creeps.

https://dota2.fandom.com/wiki/Health_regeneration

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 14, 2023

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Aww my poor pugna.

I have been messing around recently with trying to learn Shadow Demon. His stuff is definitely taking some effort to understand but man can he also bully hard in lane. I think because people never see him in crusader, they don't try that hard to avoid 5 stacks only to find out I can remove 70% of their life on release. His ult feels really powerful but I just gotta figure out what buffs/debuffs I need to focus on removing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm spamming muerta a lot, usually go wand, falcon blade into treads, maelstrom, bkb, daedalus.

Feel like I should try silver edge or blink because she's very immobile but dam man that damage

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
still winning with techies. tweaked my starting items to incorporate an early wraith band to replace the armor and damage he lost.

1 set tangoes, 2 branches, a circlet, a stick and a sentry. ship out a 2nd set of tangoes and if im pos 4 a 2nd sentry as well from the bounty gold

if lanes spammy, ill upgrade to wand asap (only recipe is needed), then its boots/wraithband into arcanes.

ive also started grabbing a silver crest instead of a pavise. buffing your carries attack speed by 70 is actually insane. Pavise can still be good, but it feels like a lot of the enemy cores ive been facing punch through it instantly, so the 7 armor of the silver crest feels more valuable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Some friends got me back into playing with them but I decided to do a solo turbo during lunch today and got a matchup mid vs a PA...as QoP

I have never snowballed so hard in my life

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sometimes they just give you freebies. I got to mid as Viper vs a PL instead of their Ember Spirit the other day, that was a nice treat.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Turbo is a wild mix of people loving around with off-meta or new-to-them heroes, people new to the game, and people spamming comfort picks.

Despite all the free passive gold, turbo still seems to be where I find the most extreme snowballing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Turbo is generally where I play most of my games. The snowballing is because kills are also worth a lot more, both in gold and more importantly XP.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

🥵

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Been playing around with Oracle, he is really interesting but man can your team make you sad as him. Watching my Huskar run away during False Promise hurts so much. You basically need to learn what carry on your team has the biggest balls and ult them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only just weening back into playing DOTA after a short break and man, I know Vanguard needed to be nerfed but it feels really rough trying to rush it like before. I miss clowning on fools with Vanguard/Heart Ogre 3.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I'm finding out that I don't actually know how to play 3 without vanguard being good

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ingenium posted:

Been playing around with Oracle, he is really interesting but man can your team make you sad as him. Watching my Huskar run away during False Promise hurts so much. You basically need to learn what carry on your team has the biggest balls and ult them.
Huskar…. run away?

That’s the most balls-out core around, once he’s committed to a fight he’s got no way out but through.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Huskar…. run away?

That’s the most balls-out core around, once he’s committed to a fight he’s got no way out but through.

I know, you would think they would use the ability to fight at zero for 9 seconds right?

One fun thing I learned about Oracle is that they are amazing against the new Medusa. You can chain nuke them to quickly remove all mana, and it doesn't even matter that you gave them some ungodly healing for the 5 health they have.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I really ought to learn Oracle. I've been trying to expand my Support pools lately.

I never considered before how good of a counter she (it?) is to 'Dusa because you're burning their mana, the heal does nothing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oracle is very much a He

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

<checks wikia>...So he is.

Just goes to show you how much I've played him, or even encounter him.

edit; Apparently I have a 100% Win Rate with Oracle :v::

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 20, 2023

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Oracle is very interesting, the part it has been teaching me alongside learning Shadow Demon is what things I can basic dispel and what needs a strong dispel. This will probably also be useful to know just in general (and probably already should know).

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/3640648066072340345

this is a cool blog, I hope they keep it up. DOTA2 isn't a game so much as a collection of bugged interactions in a trenchcoat. letting the dev(s?) vent over the insanity of fixing some of them could be fun

e; my favourite bug lately, turns out using euls (but not windwaker) on top of a ward nudges it ever so slightly, allowing you to plant an obs outside rosh put and then nudge it inside for vision!

why?

noone knows! tune in to the blog at some point hopefully to find out!

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 27, 2023

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
What is position 1 shadow fiend supposed to do in theory? Every game I'm paired with one results in them spending all game on our side of the map eventually ending like 1-11 with 0 tower damage.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Plank Walker posted:

What is position 1 shadow fiend supposed to do in theory? Every game I'm paired with one results in them spending all game on our side of the map eventually ending like 1-11 with 0 tower damage.

A position 1 Shadow Fiend imo should fit well with a push-heavy team (chen, timbersaw, enchantress, beast master, kotl) so they could take all the enemy towers down by minute 15. Stack as much -armor as possible. Farm on the enemy side of the map, and win.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You mean euls arcane blink farm the enemy 5 until his team loses right?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Random question, but do any streamers/pros in the Dota 2 scene do nonprofit/charity work? I've played for ages but I'm not at all versed on the professional/twitch people because I don't think watching video games is that fun.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd be surprised if so just because of how "uncertain" your income is in the scene.

Some teams are good one year, the next year maybe they suck. Can't really afford to start doing real philanthropic work like that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That makes unfortunate sense.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I assume the better teams probably make enough, or close to enough to, to just live & play DOTA via their sponors... but like, take like pick any pro that's been playing for a decade and they'll probably be in the sub-$5M winnings. Scatter that over a decade and you're probably thinking, "What do I do with this money so I don't need to get a real job after DOTA?" not "How can I spread the love"

Even n0tail has "only" made ~$7.1M off winning DOTA games according to liquipedia.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Nichael posted:

Random question, but do any streamers/pros in the Dota 2 scene do nonprofit/charity work? I've played for ages but I'm not at all versed on the professional/twitch people because I don't think watching video games is that fun.

No

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Nichael posted:

It's not unheard of, but not something that happens a ton. The one that comes to mind immediately is Dendi, who has organized a bunch of streams raising money for refugee charities since the war in Ukraine started. He also pulls in other big streamers for those like Singsing, Bulldog, Grubby, etc.

As for current pros, I think they really can't afford to do a lot of charity Dota stuff given the packed schedules they usually have. There were some charity tournaments in 2020/21 in response to the pandemic, but it was at a time most tournaments had been cancelled so the teams had open schedules.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Plank Walker posted:

Crush the lane because double razing the enemy melee hero is very strong. Farm stacks with mask of madness and razes. Be very strong around 15-20 mins and get a bunch of stuff done during that time so sf can stay ahead and end the game. Be one of few carries that can diverge into huge magic damage if necessary

That said, I don’t think it’s very good pos1 right now. The alternatives are good and the counters are good, which is a bad sign for any hero

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Grubby banned me from his channel for calling him a newb after making a dumb play lol

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Mr.Acula posted:

Grubby banned me from his channel for calling him a newb after making a dumb play lol

I mean... He is new. Why be toxic? Go troll bulldog or something. I get the sense thats not grubbys vibe. And maybe that's why he will never not be a newb, but still.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

He said he was ~practicing stoicism~ and I guess I got under his skin.

I only said "lol newb"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

stoicism*

*latest fad

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

*stoically clicks ban user*

"All better."

lel

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Nichael posted:

liquid donated $50k to an LGBTQ+ charity or charities at the start of riyadh i beleive, they're garaunteed $1.8m now so maybe they do a bit more iunno

also grubby is Divine after 1 year- hard to argue with the results of banning people in chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

How many hours does grubby have in dota 2?