Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Gyshall posted:

drat, I'm late to the party but very much enjoying Vampire Survivors on my deck.

What are the next VS-likes I should try?

Haven't tried it yet, but everybody seems to love Halls of Torment. I've been having a lot of fun with Brotato and Boneraiser Minions, and these are pretty highly rated overall, although some say that they're sufficiently differentiated from the rest of the genre that it might not quite be "more of the same" if that's what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Those look great, I'm open to any games like this that I can play on my deck! Thanks for the recs

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyshall posted:

drat, I'm late to the party but very much enjoying Vampire Survivors on my deck.

Rogue Genesia and Army of Ruin are the most similar, 20 Minutes Till Dawn and Halls of Torment are different (you have to aim) but still scratch the same itch and are very fun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Any advice for getting the "do a bunch of damage with Lightning Strike" achievements in Halls of Torment? I just cannot get the skill to do very much damage even leveled up and with ability upgrades.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just got around to finishing up stage 5 clears with everything in Bio Prototype :whatup:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh, speaking of Boneraiser...

I didn't realize that the game had an actual end to it! You have to get all the way to the end of NGF 2 to see it, but at that point, the game says "there's nothing else we can throw at you, you've well and truly won."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Woah that's impressive, nicely done. When I was making serious pushes to clear NG+2 I'd get crashes and lose interest, especially since you needed a really divine run going to even have a shot when the waves are all CC immune golds. And each run took an hour!. This was before Castle Conquest and a significant overhaul to NGF in base mode as well so maybe I'd have a shot going back.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Doomykins posted:

Woah that's impressive, nicely done. When I was making serious pushes to clear NG+2 I'd get crashes and lose interest, especially since you needed a really divine run going to even have a shot when the waves are all CC immune golds. And each run took an hour!. This was before Castle Conquest and a significant overhaul to NGF in base mode as well so maybe I'd have a shot going back.

It didn't seem quite as hard as that, but it was still the result of a very strong run, buoyed by running a Bros-centric build which allowed me to just spam health pickups all over the floor and effectively tank through some rather difficult parts that took out hundreds of HP rather quickly. Still takes roughly 50 minutes to an hour to accomplish though.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
In Halls of Torment what's the secret to hitting the level 100 achievements? Even doing full runs of the Viaducts with the +50% EXP amulet and +80% XP from quests I still only land around level 95.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

RoboCicero posted:

In Halls of Torment what's the secret to hitting the level 100 achievements? Even doing full runs of the Viaducts with the +50% EXP amulet and +80% XP from quests I still only land around level 95.

After grabbing both item tickets I go back to the well/ center of stage and just let everything die. Not moving increases the amount of xp that gathers up and you get much more than constantly moving. You want to minimize movement as much as you can but you can still overshoot 100 easily if you have enough passive xp boosts.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

My plan is to wait for the announced patch with dynamic difficulty and rebalanced XP scaling, as well as a new stage. Sounds like if you're doing well you'll get more monsters faster and the harder stages give more XP by default.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gyshall posted:

All these are usually better by enabling their betas, it sometimes takes them months to put into the regular game but by then you're already bored.

1. Boneraiser Minions
- Thread has said enough, owns.
2. Rogue: Genesia
- I love this game, and I can't even really say why. I love the evolutions and mowing mobs down. Saving between areas. Barely any character variety though.
3. Spirit Hunters: Infinite Horde
- There's a ton of criticism I agree with but I love their challenges for each class that makes you try different builds you never thought of
4. Spellbook Demonslayers
- It's almost a completely different game from earlier versions, haven't even played with the new demon summoning yet
5. Halls of Torment
- Great so far, Diablo 1 feeling, but still new. My favorite by far of the new games.
6. Soulstone Survivors
- Really, really grindy
7. Nomad Survival
- Actual finished game, very forgettable but fun

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 24, 2023

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

RoboCicero posted:

For some reason, xp gems that gather into a pile will give a bit more xp than the sum of the individual gems. If you're going for the level 100+ achievements or farming for gold from empty level-ups, it's better to only pick up as much as you need to survive and let the rest sit and pile up. This means not leveling up your pick-up range or moving too much. It's not so much of a difference that it's the overpoweringly optimal strat for normal gameplay, but it is enough of a difference that it is close to mandatory for those achievements.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I've played the Halls of Torment demo a bit. I kinda like the game, but I have a few concerns/questions.

Did they ever patch collision to be less obnoxious? The player hitbox feels WAY too big, especially with the poor visibility lo-fi aesthetic.
Does taking damage ever not feel insanely punishing? It feels silly how important it is compared to other games in the genre, especially given its VS-like nature where you REALLY need to be just butchering enemies to keep up DPS wise.
Does it feel like you are actually getting rewarded for playing well, or does it just feel like you're grinding out quests for power spikes? I kinda get the feeling that the metaprogression is very grindy rather than something you can accelerate through the way you can in VS.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Just got through the last of my regular class clears on Boneraiser! Guess it's time to drag everybody through Necrotic and then Castle before running after the weird achievements.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

K8.0 posted:

I've played the Halls of Torment demo a bit. I kinda like the game, but I have a few concerns/questions.

Did they ever patch collision to be less obnoxious? The player hitbox feels WAY too big, especially with the poor visibility lo-fi aesthetic.
Does taking damage ever not feel insanely punishing? It feels silly how important it is compared to other games in the genre, especially given its VS-like nature where you REALLY need to be just butchering enemies to keep up DPS wise.
Does it feel like you are actually getting rewarded for playing well, or does it just feel like you're grinding out quests for power spikes? I kinda get the feeling that the metaprogression is very grindy rather than something you can accelerate through the way you can in VS.

Touching enemies is always dangerous, but it's definitely more forgiving when you get more defense and block upgrades. Heck, one of the unlockable characters specializes in it, the Shield Maiden gets more damage from defensive stats.

You definitely get rewarded for playing well, and there's not much of a grind. I've basically finished the current content in 10 hours of play, which feels pretty reasonable.

Moving carefully and picking the right upgrades is very important. Especially with the final boss of each stage, that have so much health and so many attacks you can't just trivialize them with upgrades.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Begemot posted:

Moving carefully and picking the right upgrades is very important. Especially with the final boss of each stage, that have so much health and so many attacks you can't just trivialize them with upgrades.

Last boss of viaduct is trivialized just with circle strafing around it, about the same distance as the orb skill

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Transfixion weapon in Halls of Torment does a debuff that makes enemies more vulnerable to damage. One of the weapon upgrades* make DoT effects hit harder (fire/electricity). The Holy Aura weapon has a weapon upgrade* that applies both debuffs.

Those debuffs make a definite difference with how long you have to dance around the boss on the second or third map.

*A scroll choice, not a level-up. These are added to the game doing damage challenges for their respective weapons.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 24, 2023

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
Oh jeez I've just hit the 24 hour mark of having downloaded this game and I've spent 8 playing it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there any of these mixed with a clicker game? I want even less to do lol (just have something to watch at work and sometimes click upgrades)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Loren posted:

Oh jeez I've just hit the 24 hour mark of having downloaded this game and I've spent 8 playing it.

lol seeya in 8 more

e: maybe in 16+ hours depending

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 25, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Harminoff posted:

Is there any of these mixed with a clicker game? I want even less to do lol (just have something to watch at work and sometimes click upgrades)

No, but if you want a game where you don't do much besides selecting upgrades, Nomad Survival eventually has a character who I believe is literally a statue. I think every other character can also recreate that sorta strategy through upgrades, although it may require a certain amount of meta-progression (the paladin with the aura initially gets their rear end kicked by most bosses). You have five pet companions you can choose from, and the raccoon's main draw is that it'll pull treasure chests and relevant objectives toward you. You also have an in-game upgrade for attracting XP gems that nudges them pixel by pixel towards you at first but is really fast when maxed out.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 25, 2023

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2220870/Fantasy_Survivors/

Early days yet, but seems to be striving on fronts other than just co-op within these first few months of EA...Sets being an obvious good idea alongside other bits:

quote:

Fantasy Survivors is a rogue-lite where you must find the exit while dodging enemy attacks, levelling up and selecting your gear.
Arriving via a portal, your mission is to survive, explore and find the exit.
After each run you can spend your gold on buying weapons, artifacts, armor, characters or maps.
You can also spend it on upgrading character attributes, which applies to all characters.

Play co-op or solo
Unlock more weapons, armor and artifacts
Unlock more characters
Find hidden items and discover how to use them
Find secret exits to unlock more maps
Fight minibosses for their exit keys

Unlock your main weapons for all characters to use
Escape alive to earn bonus gold
You can choose how to level your weapons
Once you've upgraded your equips, you will get gold, food, or the option to drop an unwanted equip
Chests contain more unlocks so keep an eye open for them on the mini map
Armor comes in sets that sometimes have a matching artifact
To fuse armor with it's artifact, freeing up the slot, you simply max the artifact's level
Find the exit key in chests or in miniboss drops
Find your secondary weapon in a gold chest
Unlock map-specific weapons so you can use them in all maps
Weapon status effects can harmonize or cancel out, so choose your weapons carefully

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, what's this? A free key for Scarlet Tower!?

39DC0-5*250-YJ6*H

ThE astErisk? You will nEvEr bEliEvE what lEttEr it is.

Oh, and if you do give it a try, let us know if you like the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i played some more scarlet tower last night and i think it is still on the "meh" side. it is competent and works well. it just still isnt doing anything really exciting that makes me say "i want to play that one" over the 15 other vs-likes in my library.

it also does the thing where controller input in menus just makes you move the mouse cursor with the stick which i hate.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Halls of Torment: How the hell do you get the Lightning Strike quests? I've never had a run go where it got above 1.2m-1.3m in damage, let alone anywhere in the same zip code as the 3m damage one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That's the second time I've seen it asked so I'll chip in my two cents since I always take Lightning Strike if offered.

-Stack Attack Speed in general, then again via Lightning Strike traits
-Don't give up Attack Speed for Crits/Stuns
-Giving up Stun range for Damage/Crit is great
-Don't give up Base Damage for Electrify chance, vice versa is fine

Or in other words I don't care if LS does any stuns because I don't need extra CC that badly, I'm not interested in the crits it does, and I'm not relying on electrify for damage in case it counts that separately. I want my LS attacking absurdly fast.

You can get +25% attack speed up to 6 times, +.4 multi-strike up to 5 times, +20 Damage/Crit Damage up to 5 times, and +66 Base Damage at the cost of Electrify Chance up to 3 times. Get +Attack Speed general trait and +Damage general trait. Get Lightning Affinity general trait for the Crit/Attack Speed if you've unlocked it. +Crit Chance/Damage will technically give you more damage for it too, as will +Area, but they're secondary. Make sure your gear compliments it too, you could also pair it with a Warlock "No Primary" run for that achievement if you have the gloves for +66% secondary damage if you don't use your primary.

And as always Ghost Wall in Stage 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've been having a hell of a time trying to get a D5 Generalist win on Brotato. Generalist loving sucks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Agreed. Try him as a Melee that gets 3 Shurikens. They just exist to proc lifesteal and fart out free damage.

It's amazing how little synergy he has despite a trait that forcefeeds it to you. He always feels terribly weak.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Doomykins posted:

That's the second time I've seen it asked so I'll chip in my two cents since I always take Lightning Strike if offered.

-Stack Attack Speed in general, then again via Lightning Strike traits
-Don't give up Attack Speed for Crits/Stuns
-Giving up Stun range for Damage/Crit is great
-Don't give up Base Damage for Electrify chance, vice versa is fine

Or in other words I don't care if LS does any stuns because I don't need extra CC that badly, I'm not interested in the crits it does, and I'm not relying on electrify for damage in case it counts that separately. I want my LS attacking absurdly fast.

You can get +25% attack speed up to 6 times, +.4 multi-strike up to 5 times, +20 Damage/Crit Damage up to 5 times, and +66 Base Damage at the cost of Electrify Chance up to 3 times. Get +Attack Speed general trait and +Damage general trait. Get Lightning Affinity general trait for the Crit/Attack Speed if you've unlocked it. +Crit Chance/Damage will technically give you more damage for it too, as will +Area, but they're secondary. Make sure your gear compliments it too, you could also pair it with a Warlock "No Primary" run for that achievement if you have the gloves for +66% secondary damage if you don't use your primary.

And as always Ghost Wall in Stage 3.

Awesome, thanks for this. Guess I should spend more time in stage 3. Also I just saw what the spellcaster's gloves do, so :v:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

RoboCicero posted:

I just got my first one of these and after I watched a vid, it seemed like the keys are lightning strike and the buzz saw blade and then going all in on dps as hard as you can. You want to get the 2 buzz saw upgrades that make it spawn extra buzz saws, at which point it just shits a stupid amount of damage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doomykins posted:

Agreed. Try him as a Melee that gets 3 Shurikens. They just exist to proc lifesteal and fart out free damage.

It's amazing how little synergy he has despite a trait that forcefeeds it to you. He always feels terribly weak.

Generalist with Shurikens and Cacti Clubs is fairly solid. They all feed off melee damage and the ranged damage is useful for the clubs.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
What if Vampire Survivors but fps? Then you get this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2206270/Vampire_Hunters/

Gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs33-9tPG_0

Looks neat but still a bit barren.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the sound and video just look so lackluster

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

*loads up UTrpg*

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Vampire Hunters should* be one of those that grows and fills out over the course of EA in a big way as per their statement of intents when taking the prior demo down---here's to hoping.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

it looks somewhat neat, but that has to be some of the most lacking firearm sound effects I've heard.

Anywho, I think Disfigure was brought up here before? It's released now. And free, with option to donate coming later.
I remember liking the demo, so hoping the full thing is good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Vampire Hunters should* be one of those that grows and fills out over the course of EA in a big way as per their statement of intents when taking the prior demo down---here's to hoping.

VS getting a few new things to come back and check out every week or two during EA was really cool and way more fun than just having a pile of unlockables at the start imo. I wish more games could be like that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lagidnam posted:

What if Vampire Survivors but fps? Then you get this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2206270/Vampire_Hunters/

Gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs33-9tPG_0

Looks neat but still a bit barren.

i tried the demo during one of the steam demo fests and thought it sucked. you have a mix of automatic and semi-automatic weapons but if you hold the mouse button to fire your machine guns, your pistols only shoot once. so you have to constantly tap the mouse button as fast as you can to achieve optimal dps.

other than that it was just bland and not exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I bought the full version of Halls of Torment and I'm pretty sure they did change some things. It's much easier, doesn't feel like I need perfect RNG to maintain sufficient damage, and gold gains are substantially higher. If anyone else felt the prelude was too statistically punishing, do be aware the release version feels wonderfully paced.