Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Plus silver wastes just looks lovely. There are so many cool zones and that’s not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The only core maps that are level 80 only are Cursed Shore, Southsun Cove, Dry Top, and Silverwastes.

Cursed Shore - Has three large event chains and quite a few smaller chains. It's a pretty large map though, and the temple events take forever to actually (re/)start.
Southsun Cove - Small-ish map, but pitting people up against large swarms of Karka and instant-death maze wurms is probably not great. No one comes here except for guild missions and harvesting passiflora.
Dry Top - Lots of events all the time, but getting around the map when you're not familiar with it is very tricky (need to use crystals if you don't have mounts, and who the heck would know to enter the small door to find a tunnel to get to the other sections).

That leaves the silverwastes. It's a pretty flat map w/ easily identifiable forts/hotspots, with a big map-wide meta event happening constantly, and it's still pretty populated which is important for people still getting used to something new.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Silverwastes is great for newbies except that some of the enemies are resistant to power damage and are vulnerable to burning, which is such a specific thing that would be lost on a new person -- especially since not every class gets easy access to burning.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I'm sorry in advance for a useless post, I just need to vent.

I love a lot of things about this game. The action rpg gameplay is great. The hang glider and mounts are fun, exploring new zones rules. I like fractals and big world events and bosses and jumping puzzles. Lots of good, game has many fun.

But holy poo poo I utterly hate the writing. I'm going through the path of fire right now, unlocking all the mounts. I absolutely regret not being allowed to join Balthazar in the quest to purge all life from Tyria any time any character says anything. including mine.

I won't say it's the worst dialogue and story I've ever seen in an rpg. But i'm not prepared to say it isn't the worst, either.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe you should take a break.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Inzombiac posted:

This is the thing I like best about this game: I can get distracted and come back 6 months later and I'm not painfully behind on everything.

Take a break, the fun will still be there and the writing won't be AS abrasive.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

brainSnakes posted:

I love a lot of things about this game. The action rpg gameplay is great. The hang glider and mounts are fun, exploring new zones rules. I like fractals and big world events and bosses and jumping puzzles. Lots of good, game has many fun.

But holy poo poo I utterly hate the writing. I'm going through the path of fire right now, unlocking all the mounts. I absolutely regret not being allowed to join Balthazar in the quest to purge all life from Tyria any time any character says anything. including mine.

I won't say it's the worst dialogue and story I've ever seen in an rpg. But i'm not prepared to say it isn't the worst, either.

I finished the latest LS stuff last night and yeah its very bad. Best to just zone out while there's talking

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

brainSnakes posted:

If you haven't seen this yet, it may be cathartic to watch Preach's latest video about GW2, he has some similar complaints about the writing/story and dialogue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_rcvuMWiQ

You might enjoy the latest festival. It's mindless fun. There's a bunch of events to play around with - no major story/dialogue required. Just show up, do events, and start earning cool things. A well deserved break from suffering through bad dialogue. I can't disagree with you about the writing, a lot of it is not good. I cleared the full story/expansions with one character and will probably never do it again.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 28, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I love playing this game while stoned because I can run around and hit things and have fun and forget everything everybody (especially trahearne) says

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

I love playing this game while stoned because I can run around and hit things and have fun and forget everything everybody (especially trahearne) says

This is an excellent take and I support it 100%. Try this with World Boss trains in a giant 40-50 person squad, it's a blast. They're usually in LFG and running throughout the day, super relaxing and no thought required, just good times.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I have been trying out ESO, it was free on epic for a few days, and wow the difference in player interactions is very different from GW2. Of course I'm only a few days in and playing the starter zones but I've seen exactly no chat that's not guild invites. It seems that a lot of stuff instanced so you're not really 'helping' events others are doing maybe, and either I didn't come across any map events (where like gw2 you just join in and do stuff) or there aren't any I wonder if that's why nobody was chatting if they're kind of all concentrating on their own thing more. If I am in a starter zone in gw2 and I start bumbling about making idle banter always people will either join in or react in some way. I don't care that the combat/crafting etc are very different they're different games but am I just in the wrong zone or is the "random nonsense chat" just not a thing in ESO vs GW2. ESO seems like the perfect game to have a lot of idle banter happening but there just isn't any... but GW2 it is more often than not folk are happy to join in on any random dumb idea and just have fun with it.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe so. The actual gameplay is great. But i'm absolutely getting burnt out on how bad the storyline is. I might need to refresh myself on something more cerebral, like Crash Bandicoot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If there is one thing that's kept GW2 active with returning players all these years later it's that the core philosophy of "don't design the game in a way that interactions with other random people in the world are largely negative or hostile" is a really friggin' good idea for a MMO that shockingly few seem to want to imitate.

You don't have to worry about other people reaching that rich orichalcum vein first or someone hitting a enemy before you to lock you out of all rewards from helping fight it or killed the 20 hour respawn rare enemy 20 seconds ago or just straight up killing you while you are 50 levels below them and can't fight back.
While GW2 isn't perfect it's still a great goal to design around and the absolute worst thing you can come across in gw2 is either people afking or being as good as afk while scaling boss health up or being so overpoweringly strong that they kill everything you were trying to reach before you can hit them once for rewards.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

brainSnakes posted:

Maybe so. The actual gameplay is great. But i'm absolutely getting burnt out on how bad the storyline is. I might need to refresh myself on something more cerebral, like Crash Bandicoot.

I'm there with you, the story is really hard to get past the second hand embarrassment from just listening to it all, even ignoring the lacking gameplay during them, at least most of the open world dialogue is rather good, though some of the meta events in icebrood, dragonstorm and EoD could really of gone with a "less is more" approach because nobody shuts up.

At least once you are done achievement hunting you never have to repeat the story, though the dragonstorm dialogue is eternal.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Tambaloneus posted:

I have been trying out ESO

I played ESO for a while and the story/quests are better than GW2 and I love being able to explore all of Tamriel, it looks really good...

But my god, the open world is like a theme park. There is literally no danger whatsoever outside of world bosses once you have even somewhat decent gear and a build. I mean you can largely trivialize GW2 if you set yourself up right but ESO is on a whole different level. Everything just dies instantly and every quest has the exact same drat layout. Fight through trash that dies in 1 hit>kill veteran "boss" mob that dies in 3-5 hits.

Normal enemies aren't even speed bumps, you can literally just sprint through and have things drop dead around you without breaking stride. The dungeons are fun and the setting is great (love the player housing too) but good lord actually playing the open world is mindless as hell.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've seen the occasional random video title of "I quit ESO for GW2" somewhat frequently when looking at GW2 stuff.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've seen the occasional random video title of "I quit ESO for GW2" somewhat frequently when looking at GW2 stuff.

They've both got similarities for sure, I can see the overlap. Eso does some stuff well, but having enjoyable fights or interesting encounter mechanics are not really one of them.

Like I'm being a salty bitch right now because I hit my personal tipping point, but I'll absolutely give gw2 props for having much more fun and interesting fights than that game.

Eso does have rad housing though.

kooshkaboose
May 18, 2023

by Pragmatica
I played eso for a while but the game has this memory leak bug where if you play the game more than thirty minutes it starts getting framey and hitches alot. it was bad enough to make me quit playing after putting in 30 hours.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I bounce between gw2, eso, and lotro. Just kind of rotate them when I'm itching for an mmo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't like how any of the classes play in ESO because they all feel so alien compared to the actual games.

Everything else seemed far better than an Elder Scrolls MMO has the right to be, so

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Tambaloneus posted:

I have been trying out ESO, it was free on epic for a few days, and wow the difference in player interactions is very different from GW2.

In ESO there is way more going on in the expansion/dlc zones, especially the most recent ones. The big yearly expansions (chapters) all act as starting zones that offer a way better experience than the base game on top of having daily quests that draw in veteran players. It's typical to see people sharing quests and asking for help on world bosses and a bunch of people showing up to zone events that rotate around the map. But ESO has a big focus on solo questing content and it's pretty easy to put together builds that solo 99% of the events and world bosses so you can tune everything out and be completely non-social if you want. The big metas in GW2 that require or reward grouping and reading map chat and the ease of setting up groups with the commander tag set it apart for cooperative open world stuff.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jedah posted:

This is an excellent take and I support it 100%. Try this with World Boss trains in a giant 40-50 person squad, it's a blast. They're usually in LFG and running throughout the day, super relaxing and no thought required, just good times.

there's a guild that uses Choya tonics and its the dumbest thing but it always makes me laugh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

To this day I still cannot believe player housing isn't a thing.

They'd make a billion dollars and most of that would be from me.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I 100% thought that New Kaineng would have home instances you could buy, ranging from 1 bedroom apartment to highrise penthouse and everything in between in the other EoD maps, but I think I was overestimating what would be in a rushed expansion.
They already got guildhalls you can decorate and the systems to do that, but you'll never experience it unless you own a guild or bug the owner of one and have a fat, fat wallet.

One other thing I can't believe is they never released extra playable races alongside expansions, how are Tengu not playable by now?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 28, 2023

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I will swap a new race for more themed hair/etc for character creation. Dragon themed stuff for Sylvari would fkn own so much. Or biome themed. Mostly just release a sylvari themed DLC for cosmetics Anet and rake in my hard earned aussie funbux by the hundred.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Playable tengu would rule. I love talon silverwing

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Kodan get my vote

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
if there are any non Sylvari races without enormous structural racism problems that'd be cool to have as a playable race (the dredge)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Skritt!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

A personal airship that you can dock at the latest story zone and gets your personal instance and sun's refuge upgrades and such has seemed like such a no brainer for a long time.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

What zone would you put your house in if you could chose?

Harathi Hinterlands for me for sure. Lorna's Pass would be the closest contender

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

CODChimera posted:

there's a guild that uses Choya tonics and its the dumbest thing but it always makes me laugh

Oh yeah, they're a lot of fun, they commit to the Choya roleplay and it's beautiful. They're a good guild to run open world meta events like Dragon's End with.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I 100% thought that New Kaineng would have home instances you could buy, ranging from 1 bedroom apartment to highrise penthouse and everything in between in the other EoD maps, but I think I was overestimating what would be in a rushed expansion.

Yes, this. We need this. As a twist, Minister Li confronts you when rent isn't paid, and dragon slashes the front door down.

I also want my Sylvari treehouse nestled in the branches of the forest because it would be super cozy and aesthetically pleasing with strong natural architecture vibes. Most of my characters are Sylvari so naturally I'm biased, too.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Give me a miniature Rata Sum to fly around like a death star, but also it's my house.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wuxi posted:

Harathi Hinterlands for me for sure. Lorna's Pass would be the closest contender

Southsun so that every time I walk out the front door I get eaten by karkas

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

binge crotching posted:

Southsun so that every time I walk out the front door I get eaten by karkas

there is no way anders doesn't just have an elaborate vore kink

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zeg posted:

Kodan get my vote

At least there is a Kodan combat tonic. I love using it in newbie zones.

Every single character has a persistent home zone. Just let me decorate that!!!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

home is where the heart of maguuma is

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Wuxi posted:

Order of Whispers HQ

"Sir this is our secret base, you can't have your house here"
"I KNOW MY RIGHTS"

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Why does BlishHud want my API key if the pathing module isn't going to keep track of which Sky Crystals I've already collected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

El Fideo posted:

Why does BlishHud want my API key if the pathing module isn't going to keep track of which Sky Crystals I've already collected?

My guess is blish does track your progress via api but it isn't instant and sky crystal collections are proximity based instead of most collections which require you to hit the interact key which blish detects and removes the marker immediately.

Try hitting your interact key at a crystal location and it should remove the marker. Any crystals you already collected should be removed now via the API.