Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My CC hot take is that people with a ranked CC rank above Silver should not be allowed to queue for casual matches at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

My CC hot take is that people with a ranked CC rank above Silver should not be allowed to queue for casual matches at all

In practice this would just mean Ranked would get even deader than it already is

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I get humiliated enough in casual don't torment me further by adding premade teams

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Playing Dead by Daylight solo has made me loath buddies vs pubs situations entirely. It might be fun for you but it's not a fun time for the other team or team mates who can't chat on discord

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

the vast, vast majority of people who would queue with a friend aren't looking to make comms and destroy uncoordinated teams, I bet most wouldn't even be in voice chat. itd just be people who want to play a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game with their friend since that's more fun than playing by yourself

Wrong. We will 5 stack to crush pubbies. Relive the old days of entering a tf2 community server and wrecking poo poo until we got kicked.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've heard people argue, forcefully and at length, that there would be no problems with letting people pre form for CC because "sometimes the randoms might be better than my friends and I and voice chat isn't that big of a deal". I'm not sure if they had real bad brain worms or were just operating on an arbitrary number of irony layers while trolling chat.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's one of those things where they should add it but it's kinda workable as is.

Even when I was doing CC a lot in seasons 1 and 2 it was an open secret that if you queued at the same time you were highly likely to end up in a game with your friend assuming remotely similar MMR. I can only imagine it's even moreso now that way fewer people are queueing. Now granted it would be against them 50% of the time but that can also be kinda fun

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

the vast, vast majority of people who would queue with a friend aren't looking to make comms and destroy uncoordinated teams, I bet most wouldn't even be in voice chat. itd just be people who want to play a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game with their friend since that's more fun than playing by yourself

Naw, This would suck poo poo. They can make a group roulette for you nerds but keep pre-mades out of casual and ranked.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's one of those things where they should add it but it's kinda workable as is.

Even when I was doing CC a lot in seasons 1 and 2 it was an open secret that if you queued at the same time you were highly likely to end up in a game with your friend assuming remotely similar MMR. I can only imagine it's even moreso now that way fewer people are queueing. Now granted it would be against them 50% of the time but that can also be kinda fun

Yeah playing against your friends is fun too but like you said not reliable

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The slight unreliability was not too big a downside when the queues were instant but yeah I can see how it would sting now that the queues are usually double digits

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

do people think that a pre-made queue would get matched with random singles? they had a pre-made VS pre-made queue back when Feast was running. it even had it's own ranking system. just do that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My CC queues are usually under 5 minutes, I don't know what Toy guys are doing wrong

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vitamean posted:

do people think that a pre-made queue would get matched with random singles? they had a pre-made VS pre-made queue back when Feast was running. it even had it's own ranking system. just do that.

I mean I did say to let you queue with a single friend in an attempt to curb the behavior people seem upset about so the responses make sense. From what I've heard though CC is basically dead again and I don't think a third queue will really help that. Though I'm glad to hear people here seem to be enjoying it and presumably playing it a bunch.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I shouldn't say dead because I hate when people describe games like that. But listening to people elsewhere I've heard 5-10 minutes for Casual and twice that or worse for ranked depending on your current standing, which basically kills the appeal of the mode to me

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Personally I would like to play this multiplayer mode in my mmo with my friends, which is my main motivation for wanting group queue

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
IDK why they can't just have two unranked queues - one for groups and one for solos. Let solo people queue for either. Let groups of any size only queue for the group one.

I think it's important to keep the solo queue because it feels bad when you just are constantly stomped by groups. But a group queue should exist.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there enough pvp population to support 2 queues?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PVP is, always has been, and always will be, bad, no matter what game it's in.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

I shouldn't say dead because I hate when people describe games like that. But listening to people elsewhere I've heard 5-10 minutes for Casual and twice that or worse for ranked depending on your current standing, which basically kills the appeal of the mode to me

Queue times were quick for me a month ago back when I was doing a daily frontline and CC to get my series exp up, but I am not sure what they are like now since I stopped queueing once I hit 25.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I dropped a few queues yesterday since I needed to cap before leaving for fanfest and each popped within a minute of entering

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dragongem posted:

The jump animation changes are good but after so much time with the old jump animation timing it still feels like I'm in a cartoon when I play DRG.
With Jump being the most consistently sped up animation in the game, I can only imagine what it'd feel like now if they went back to the original, even as a prank.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Countblanc posted:

I don't know what data center you're on but Casual queue on Primal barely ever gets to one minute whenever I give it a shot. I know a guy that just finished grinding out the 200 wins achievement in casual queues too

edit: \/ Currently no, but after the CC season reset it will be

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 26, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that's good to hear, i should play some more even if i probably won't stick with it this time. is ranked as popping as casual

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Casual CC is my emergency "it's midnight and I forgot to cap tomes" queue, it pops fast and games are short

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Same, but also "ugh I still need some wins for the last horse so I can stop using this Garo title, guess I'll give it a shot"

I am not any good at CC and ranked is scary, even though I know I'd be thrown into Crap Tier

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mordiceius posted:

IDK why they can't just have two unranked queues - one for groups and one for solos. Let solo people queue for either. Let groups of any size only queue for the group one.

I think it's important to keep the solo queue because it feels bad when you just are constantly stomped by groups. But a group queue should exist.

The concern with that is the pvp population. Also no solo people would want to queue for the group one because teams would still be lopsided against them.

If they wanted to allow groups the way to handle it would be to use a single queue, but parties are always matched such that they contain equal size premade groups. So you could have a pair with three solos vs a pair with three solos. This would only be allowed in unranked.

Queues would be faster for solo players than groups, since they could be slotted into any match easily. Groups would have to wait for an opposing group and enough others to fill in. But if the first goal is fairness for solo queuers and the second goal is to allow friends to play together, I think it is the most functional choice.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i had no idea that /visor actually works on the fat chocobo head...this changes everything.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
You know those hellhound weapons available at one of the the PVP area vendors? I had always thought they looked boring and lame. Turns out, however, it was I who was boring and lame!

Bam! Look at that sheer child-like joy. Like namedays all at once. Snkkt! Swish, swash, swish!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Antivehicular posted:

I know you mean your character is a revanchist, but "Gelmorran revanchist RPer" just makes me picture the Duskwight equivalent of Civil War reenactors or the people who work at Colonial Williamsburg

To be fair my apartment/terrorist cell base is dressed up as the "Gelmorran Historical Society" so possibly she is also that. It's a funny thought.

If they do a Gelmorra Variant Dungeon I'm gonna be so excited.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Crackerjack posted:

You know those hellhound weapons available at one of the the PVP area vendors? I had always thought they looked boring and lame. Turns out, however, it was I who was boring and lame!

Bam! Look at that sheer child-like joy. Like namedays all at once. Snkkt! Swish, swash, swish!

That pvp vendor has some gems. I love the little owl ast weapon

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

TheWorldsaStage posted:

That pvp vendor has some gems. I love the little owl ast weapon

I've strongly considered leveling up my Monk purely so I can wear the Hawkliege Claws

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

lines posted:

To be fair my apartment/terrorist cell base is dressed up as the "Gelmorran Historical Society" so possibly she is also that. It's a funny thought.

If they do a Gelmorra Variant Dungeon I'm gonna be so excited.

I find that the more niche a 'villain character' is in terms of connection to the world, the more likely that they're probably played by a cool person who just wants to play a niche character. If they're playing a sort of villain that the main story's actually given spotlight to, chances get higher that they're just doing it because they think it gives them a social excuse to be an rear end in a top hat.

A Gelmorran villain, or some Sil'dihn descendants, or something else I can't think of at all? Pretty much a 100% chance of being cool. Garleans, Ascians, violent dragons (which yes, I have seen)? I've seen cool people play them all, but it's a gamble and there's a chance you'll find someone who's only there to stir up poo poo. And out of all of them, the Garleans are the most likely to be using it as an excuse to enact real-world beliefs.

The Syndicate's somewhere in the middle ground.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gelmorra seems like something that would be ripe for a new variant dungeon.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
quote="Cleretic" post="533470197"]

A Gelmorran villain, or some Sil'dihn descendants, or something else I can't think of at all? Pretty much a 100% chance of being cool.
[/quote]

😎

My headcanon for when I'm actually doing Warrior of Light stuff is that she only originally joined the Scions as a deep cover in order to avoid the Gridanian rozzers and now she's in entirely, entirely too deep and it would frankly be socially awkward to mention the Unpleasantness. This goes double for any interactions with Kan-E-Senna.

Cleretic posted:

And out of all of them, the Garleans are the most likely to be using it as an excuse to enact real-world beliefs.

Yeah I have to say, "people with detailed Garlean backstory that doesn't end with 'and then I shot a lot of fascists in the back and got out of there'" are... well, look, it's roleplaying, fill your boots I guess, but it's a bit like people who play Black Templars in Warhammer 40k .

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Reminded of the PFs adds I saw for an "wacky outcast Garlean Castrum" RP FC that had "this is a safe space from safe spaces" in their Carrd rules. Feels like it'd be easier just to say you're fash, you know?

(Yes, I look at venue Carrds for a laugh sometimes. The best one was from the gay bar where the crowd-shot splash image was all Hroth except for one dude Roe in the background, looking faintly confused. Yeah, dude, I think this is a Hroth bar now.)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hrothbar is a good venue name

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Same, but also "ugh I still need some wins for the last horse so I can stop using this Garo title, guess I'll give it a shot"

I am not any good at CC and ranked is scary, even though I know I'd be thrown into Crap Tier

I just got done with that after putting it off for the last two years. 30 wins took me exactly 61 matches in casual. Almost a coin flip. Almost always instant queues though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Crackerjack posted:

I also like the Hellhound Claws a lot

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

EDIT: this was a bad idea.

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Sometimes I read stuff like that and feel like I'm playing the game wrong or I'm playing a completely different game.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 27, 2023