Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Eureka is inspired by all of the old school MMO mechanics that only exist to make people suffer. It's full of unmarked quests, unexplained mechanics, and sleeping dragons that wake up and kill you if you move to quickly next to them. You lose exp if you die. Much of your time is spent waiting for bosses to spawn so you're killing trash mobs to trigger them while arguing with everyone else in Shout chat. If you're going alone it's a miserable slog, if you find a group of helpful, knowledgeable players it's a lot of fun (if you have the right brand of brainworms) and there's discords for doing Eureka poo poo and organizing Baldesian Arsenal raids. You have to do all of Eureka for a relic weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeah, I poked around Eureka for an hour or two and then Krile was all 'yeah, you gotta go... up there... somewhere? Northwest? iunno!' and I looked in the general northwest area for a couple of minutes and then wandered off, never to return.

I guess I could ask people to help me do it, but if I'm gonna have help from other people, there's a lot of other stuff I'd rather do.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jonny 290 posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but if i only sge my only relic option is the EW one right

Been thinking about trying to eventually get a little blinged out idk

Relics yes, but there are some glowy weapons available with theming for some of the Extreme trial fights. Not usually too expensive on the market board, either.

I do wish they'd backport weapons more than one expansion, though. Imagine Sage waving around four Ifrit horns or a set of Garuda/Bismarck/Suzaku wings.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I woul say the first Eureka zone is easy enough to do if you want a glowy weapon or dyeable AF gear. Doing the whole thing is a commitment.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Spuzzz posted:

I woul say the first Eureka zone is easy enough to do if you want a glowy weapon or dyeable AF gear. Doing the whole thing is a commitment.

Note that if you do want to, something that typically does not get mentioned in all the "oh but eureka is so easy and fun and *fart*" bloviating is that there's a special chestpiece you can get that makes the experience way less miserable.

Physical jobs get a "Kirin's Osode" by buying two Cryptic Seals from the MB; casters get a "Vermilion Cloak" by buying three Damascene Cloth. There's a dude on the pier that you go to Eureka on called "Nostalgic Fellow" that sells these to you.

The Elemental Power stat they have dramatically increases your power in Eureka specifically, and it's pretty much a must-buy if you're getting started and do not want the experience to be similar to taking a rasp to your genitals.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Note that if you do want to, something that typically does not get mentioned in all the "oh but eureka is so easy and fun and *fart*" bloviating is that there's a special chestpiece you can get that makes the experience way less miserable.

Physical jobs get a "Kirin's Osode" by buying two Cryptic Seals from the MB; casters get a "Vermilion Cloak" by buying three Damascene Cloth. There's a dude on the pier that you go to Eureka on called "Nostalgic Fellow" that sells these to you.

The Elemental Power stat they have dramatically increases your power in Eureka specifically, and it's pretty much a must-buy if you're getting started and do not want the experience to be similar to taking a rasp to your genitals.

People bring up that everytime Eurkea does man lol.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

YggiDee posted:

Eureka is inspired by all of the old school MMO mechanics that only exist to make people suffer. It's full of unmarked quests, unexplained mechanics, and sleeping dragons that wake up and kill you if you move to quickly next to them. You lose exp if you die. Much of your time is spent waiting for bosses to spawn so you're killing trash mobs to trigger them while arguing with everyone else in Shout chat. If you're going alone it's a miserable slog, if you find a group of helpful, knowledgeable players it's a lot of fun (if you have the right brand of brainworms) and there's discords for doing Eureka poo poo and organizing Baldesian Arsenal raids. You have to do all of Eureka for a relic weapon.

Yeah this, Eureka is a ton of fun imho but for Hydaelyn's sake please do it as apart of a group

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

YggiDee posted:

(Eureka) If you're going alone it's a miserable slog, if you find a group of helpful, knowledgeable players it's a lot of fun (if you have the right brand of brainworms)
Going into Eureka alone can be fine as long as you're open to grouping with other random people when Notorious Monsters (NMs) do pop up, as someone that has completed Eureka on Primal and Aether. 95-99% of people I've partied with were nice people overall, either being people that want to learn+progress through the zones or veterans that want to help others.

I originally completed Eureka in 2020 but I started going in again a few months ago, and have been having a blast. There are a few people I helped out in early zones that made it into BA parties I've been in so I felt like a proud mentor (real mentor, not an XIV mentor) seeing them progress all the way through

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah this, Eureka is a ton of fun imho but for Hydaelyn's sake please do it as apart of a group
Genuinely, Eureka is at its most fun when you're coordinating with a group of people to spawn multiple monsters at once. Even if its just one or two others splitting up and working together it feels so much more productive than when its just you on your own.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
How long on average would it take to get the first shiny stage of the Eureka relic weapon starting from scratch?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

e:read that wrong

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Feldegast42 posted:

Counterpoint: if you're looking for a source of abnegation, where you can just zone out and do something that you're not really paying attention to, soloing in Eureka is GREAT for that. The mob density is off the charts so you can just grind and grind and grind without needing to find another spot until you level.

There are people who want to optimize the heck out of everything and do only the most efficient route because they don't like the leveling part, and that's fine, but there's also people who think that if they don't like it then nobody likes it and will yell at folks for "doing it wrong". Leveling Eureka and Blue Mage has had me encounter some really annoying people who don't even ask "do you want a hand" they just start barking orders.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 26, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Side content you can mostly ignore:

- Yellow sidequests that don't have a picture, so they're mostly just extra loot and worldbuilding filler
- Job quests for jobs you aren't interested in (including crafters)
- Triple Triad and other Gold Saucer stuff
- Relic weapons, beyond the initial trial unlocks

Has lore, but is annoying enough these days to mostly not bother:
- Eureka
- Bozja (not as bad as Eureka but harder to finish the story for these days)

Has payoff but takes time, make sure you unlock flying first:
- all the Beast Tribe quests

Everything else is worth doing in the expacs it was part of. Every trial, raid, alliance raid, optional dungeon, etc, including stuff like Hildibrand and rolequests. Even Doman Restoration is a good way to dump old dungeon gear.

Gold saucer is cool and good and very important.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think Eureka is fun when you're at or near the max level for a zone and you can group up with some randos spawning and killing all the NMs, but it sucks when you're new to a zone and most of the NMs are too dangerous to get to and/or give you almost no exp because you're too low level for them

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Relyssa posted:

Gold saucer is cool and good and very important.
:hmmyes:

Also because you're limited in how much you can do in a single day/week by the passage of actual, IRL time, it's not a huge horrendous timesink like Eureka or relic grinding are.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Mr. Neutron posted:

How long on average would it take to get the first shiny stage of the Eureka relic weapon starting from scratch?

if you join an organization like krile krew, probably about 8 hours.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

girl dick energy posted:

:hmmyes:

Also because you're limited in how much you can do in a single day/week by the passage of actual, IRL time, it's not a huge horrendous timesink like Eureka or relic grinding are.

we can get someone elvl 0 to elvl 60 in eureka in about 8 hours. i wouldn't exactly call it a huge horrendous timesink unless you're going about it in the worst possible way (afking while waiting for other people to prep NMs for you to level)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

But can you carry my rear end through BA

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

There is plenty of rear end to carry and plenty of people wanting to carry rear end

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

GloomMouse posted:

But can you carry my rear end through BA

no but ABBA on aether http://discord.gg/FFXIVABBA
or THL on primal can http://discord.gg/thehelplines

they simplify it to the point that people run it for fun. 95% of attempts clear. it's no worse than any synced extreme content to complete.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can thoroughly recommend ABBA, they basically give a guided tour of the Baldesian Arsenal and there are people in the discord whose sole purpose and joy in life is either explaining or doing BA runs.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

all but the last boss of baldesion arsenal die before they start doing the real big boy mechanics, and every run i've joined gives a 25 minute crash course on the final boss and then still gives comprehensive call-outs during it. most people can, and many do, clear BA completely blind

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I've only done BA runs through Primal's The Help Lines but their "Learning Runs" still have like a 90% chance of clearing, and that estimate might still be low. There are enough veterans helping out on each run that it takes a lot of things going wrong to not clear.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
this entire Hildibrand questline is loving incredible lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That Little Demon posted:

this entire Hildibrand questline is loving incredible lol

From what I remember the devs have legitimately talked about using Hildibrand to push the limits of their facial animation tech, and that work pays off much later in the MSQ.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ARR Hildebrand gets long in the tooth because of the sheer amount of quests for each patch but from HW on they become way better paced.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Alexander raids music loving slaps and the questline itself is one of examples how much better HW is compared to ARR.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Minions that sit on your shoulder = mega win. just got puff of darkness from world of darkness. awesome

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Minions that sit on your shoulder = mega win

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you're a lalafell they sit on top of your head

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Minions that sit on your shoulder = mega win. just got puff of darkness from world of darkness. awesome

ive been running puff for like a year and a half until i got wind-up mystel. Big agree

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The newest MSQ level 90 dungeon gives a puffin that sits on your shoulder and I may never use another minion again

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

There is a Wind-up Nanamo available from that Achievement Vendor in Gridania.

Not only will she sit on your shoulder, you can watch her climb up you to get there when you do the /beckon.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

BlazetheInferno posted:

There is a Wind-up Nanamo available from that Achievement Vendor in Gridania.

Not only will she sit on your shoulder, you can watch her climb up you to get there when you do the /beckon.

nice

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah non flying minions climb up your side or your back when they sit on your shoulder. There's a few flying minions that will perch without /beckon but that usually means they do it independently, outside of your control. Which can be rough when you're trying to take a pirate screenshot and your parrot just won't behave.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah non flying minions climb up your side or your back when they sit on your shoulder. There's a few flying minions that will perch without /beckon but that usually means they do it independently, outside of your control. Which can be rough when you're trying to take a pirate screenshot and your parrot just won't behave.

Is there a list anywhere of minions that will perch on you without you having to do anything?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Relyssa posted:

Is there a list anywhere of minions that will perch on you without you having to do anything?

Midgardsormr (independent)
Bluebird (independent & loyal)
Baby Opo-Opo (loyal)
Nutkin (loyal)
Owlet (loyal)
Gaelikitten (independent & loyal)
Lesser Panda (independent & loyal)
Hunting Hawk (independent & loyal)
Shalloweye (independent)
Morpho (independent)
Road Sparrow (independent)
Koala Joey (compulsive)
Dragonet (loyal)
Ohl Deeh (loyal)
Succubus (independent)
Puff of Darkness (independent & loyal)
Garuda (loyal)
Nanamo (loyal)
Silver Dasher (independent)
Gull (independent & loyal)
Tight Beaked Parrot (independent)
Bacon Bits (loyal)
Meerkat (loyal)
Petit Pteranodon (independent)
Scarlet Peacock (loyal)
White Whittret (independent)

and probably more that they've added since last year!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Gaelikitten also has a very intense "never talk to me or my WoL again" stare on the shoulder, which is really good

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

Midgardsormr (independent)
Bluebird (independent & loyal)
Baby Opo-Opo (loyal)
Nutkin (loyal)
Owlet (loyal)
Gaelikitten (independent & loyal)
Lesser Panda (independent & loyal)
Hunting Hawk (independent & loyal)
Shalloweye (independent)
Morpho (independent)
Road Sparrow (independent)
Koala Joey (compulsive)
Dragonet (loyal)
Ohl Deeh (loyal)
Succubus (independent)
Puff of Darkness (independent & loyal)
Garuda (loyal)
Nanamo (loyal)
Silver Dasher (independent)
Gull (independent & loyal)
Tight Beaked Parrot (independent)
Bacon Bits (loyal)
Meerkat (loyal)
Petit Pteranodon (independent)
Scarlet Peacock (loyal)
White Whittret (independent)

and probably more that they've added since last year!

Thank you! Why are some listed as both independent and loyal? I thought they could only be one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If they're loyal that usually means they'll take commands. So you can /beckon them.