Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BiggerBoat posted:

Consider me educated today learning from NPR that Phoenix, AZ, which is currently being slow roasted alive, is supposedly the FIFTH largest city in the country (?)

I guess that many people have moved there for some reason? I would have guessed NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston, Boston, Seattle, Denver or even Minnesota and DC before I got to Phoenix.

Phoenix got real big real fast after WW2 for two reasons: electronics manufacturing and the ability to buy air conditioning. I didn't realize it was still growing noticeably though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Prism posted:

Phoenix got real big real fast after WW2 for two reasons: electronics manufacturing and the ability to buy air conditioning. I didn't realize it was still growing noticeably though.

It may not be growing much longer, between the heat and persistent drought.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I grew up in AZ and so one of the first things I ever did when Google Earth first came out was have my mind completely blown by just how vast and sprawling the Phoenix metro area is. I would go as far as to say it had a significant impact on my world view at the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sinead O’Connor has been found dead at 56.

Seems to be suicide.

No specific information being released by the family or police.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1684259951730884631

Where are you getting suicide from? Not that it would shock me given her age and the fact that her 17 year old daughter killed herself not too long ago but we might want something better than a tweet x from the New York Post. I still have a bug up my rear end for all the poo poo she took from that SNL appearance but she turned out to be right. Maybe it could have been more clear in its messaging (I didn't get it at the time) but she was way out in front of that poo poo and experienced it personally.

Hit me hard today as a casual fan with suicidal attempts in my own family and knowing she's the same age as me.

E

And also Prince, my all time favorite musician who wrote Sinead's most famous song died at 57.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 27, 2023

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Welp, if he is legit, then the world is a much crazier place than I previously believed:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/06/the-ufo-whistleblower-is-back-with-more-crazy-claims.html

How would the Pope of all people even know about the existence of a UFO the Italian government was trying to keep secret? It's not like Mussolini was a devout Catholic who'd run things like this by the Pope if he also wanted it to be a state secret, and if it was from Catholic soldiers leaking it during confession or w/e, wouldn't there be other Italian soldiers leaking it to other sources? It's already a pretty heavy lift to suspend disbelief enough to believe America somehow had its hands on a UFO without anyone knowing, but Italy of all places keeping a UFO under wraps is a leap way too far.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

burnishedfume posted:

How would the Pope of all people even know about the existence of a UFO the Italian government was trying to keep secret?

You have no idea how deep this goes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

Where are you getting suicide from? Not that it would shock me given her age and the fact that her 17 year old daughter killed herself not too long ago but we might want something better than a tweet x from the New York Post. I still have a bug up my rear end for all the poo poo she took from that SNL appearance but she turned out to be right. Maybe it could have been more clear in its messaging (I didn't get it at the time) but she was way out in front of that poo poo and experienced it personally.

Hit me hard today as a casual fan with suicidal attempts in my own family and knowing she's the same age as me.

E

And also Prince, my all time favorite musician who wrote Sinead's most famous song died at 57.

It says in the article that her son committed suicide and she posted online that she was "following my son". She wasn't publicly sick and nobody is giving a cause of death, so seems like suicide.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FizFashizzle posted:

You have no idea how deep this goes.

The Catholic church was just a cover for aliens all along, the succession of popes has just been their elected ruler. Don't ask about the anti-popes, you really don't want to know.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
having re watched a youtube recap of Dante's Inferno, even peeps back then asked "does life exist out 'there' ?" and the answer was "dont worry about it, or dont think too hard., the amount of money you gave me doesnt give you access to this info, pay more please"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Consider me educated today learning from NPR that Phoenix, AZ, which is currently being slow roasted alive, is supposedly the FIFTH largest city in the country (?)

I guess that many people have moved there for some reason? I would have guessed NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston, Boston, Seattle, Denver or even Minnesota and DC before I got to Phoenix.

Also surprised to learn that Jacksonville, FL is #11, given that their football team is considered a "small market".

Here's the list if anyone gives a poo poo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Pat Tillman.

A lot of cities are actually technically multiple cities close together and not one city. For example the Seattle area is probably bigger than the Columbus area or the Charlotte area. But Charlotte and Columbus proper are bigger than Seattle proper.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BiggerBoat posted:

Pat Tillman.

Goes back further than him. A substantial factor in POW/MIA activism stretching back to Vietnam lies in the fact that those men could be, and were, recast as nationally redemptive hero-victims who symbolically reclaimed the moral high ground for the various right wing fuckos who glommed onto that process (started unsurprisingly with Richard Nixon himself, who invented the very term "POW/MIA" to intentionally join the two categories which previously had been separate and distinct forms of casualties not really related to one another). Once the actual POWs came back in 1973 and, shockingly, didn't all immediately sign on to the rah rah America rah rah stab in the back stuff, focus shifted more to the MIAs, who were and remain perfect blank canvases onto which you can paint any picture you want, if you're amoral enough of a scumbag.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I seem to recall the city passed an ordinance just last month about no new developments without them having first submitted long-term water plans and projections.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Invictus posted:

the thing I'm most interested to find out, long term, is what happens with management. supervisors already got benefits slashed and pay cuts, and with this new contract new hire part timers will be making money approaching that of part time supervisors. supervisors have zero job security and can be forced to come in to work during dangerous conditions(storms, blizzards, etc) or power outages and such. most supervisors I know are even more miserable than the average hourly. there's a few that have gone full apathy and have straight up said they will respond to things like "work during the strike" with "no, go ahead and fire me, I won't do it" so management morale is in the pits. with them also often being made to do union labor anyways, and get grieved and chastised by higher-ups for it, stress levels are high for them as well.

I feel like things are reaching a breaking point with lower-end management, to be frank. a few long-time supervisors I know are either literally quitting soon or debating switching careers, there's a serious "brain drain" in the management sector(though it's not necessarily a highly skilled position), and they're getting to the point where it's almost a skeleton crew. I've not heard of them getting anything in response to this new contract, so it should be interesting to see what happens, they'd probably need to get significant raises, better benefits, etc to make it worthwhile to go management than stay union at this point, why sacrifice the job security and benefits for near-parity pay and little else?

It is interesting and lol that they're actually so exploitative even the lower to middle management is being hosed over. That's supposed to be your vanguard!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like things are reaching a breaking point with lower-end management, to be frank. a few long-time supervisors I know are either literally quitting soon or debating switching careers, there's a serious "brain drain" in the management sector(though it's not necessarily a highly skilled position), and they're getting to the point where it's almost a skeleton crew. I've not heard of them getting anything in response to this new contract, so it should be interesting to see what happens, they'd probably need to get significant raises, better benefits, etc to make it worthwhile to go management than stay union at this point, why sacrifice the job security and benefits for near-parity pay and little else?

They'll get a decent raise like last time. It'll probably take effect as soon as the master is passed, while we're still hammering out the supplements. However Part-time supe has always been a sucker position. Unless you are for real only going to be at the hub a couple or so years, you're screwing yourself by going supe. Only way it makes sense, other than as a gig through college, is if you actually go full time. Right now we can't get anyone to bite on the position, other than those odd weirdos who you work with on Friday and the next time you see them they're wearing a polo.

Honestly I hope next contract focuses on trying to reign in hours to reasonableness. It's bullshit that your options are part-time, where you're only guaranteed 3.5 hours a shift, or full-time, where you're only guaranteed you won't exceed DOT maximums. Maybe you can get that combo, where you'll only be working 50+.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Born and raised in Phoenix, this summer has broken me pretty bad. Was up at 530am Monday and the temp was already 90.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Old Surly posted:

Born and raised in Phoenix, this summer has broken me pretty bad. Was up at 530am Monday and the temp was already 90.

Hey, it's supposed to be 105 on Tuesday. I want to die!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also surprised to learn that Jacksonville, FL is #11, given that their football team is considered a "small market".

Here's the list if anyone gives a poo poo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Jacksonville, Phoenix, and Houston are only big population wise because they are also huge geographically. Houston and Jax are both twice as big in area as NYC. Phoenix is like 65% bigger. The density of those three is pretty low for what are supposed to be a major cities.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Welp, if he is legit, then the world is a much crazier place than I previously believed:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/06/the-ufo-whistleblower-is-back-with-more-crazy-claims.html

I have been a contractor and I am loving dying at the idea of signing a hand receipt for a loving UFO. Just writing it in there on the line after your laptop and your card reader.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gyges posted:

Honestly I hope next contract focuses on trying to reign in hours to reasonableness. It's bullshit that your options are part-time, where you're only guaranteed 3.5 hours a shift, or full-time, where you're only guaranteed you won't exceed DOT maximums. Maybe you can get that combo, where you'll only be working 50+.
when I hit full rate I just started coming in at like 6 and leaving as soon as my belt shut off on the second shift. Hit about 40 hours a week. They have tried to force me to come in more and had meetings and stuff and I just was like "no, I refuse, I will start at my contracted start time im not working 10-12 hours a day anymore" and they eventually gave up. I work labor both shifts so by the time I hit 7 hours each day I'm really starting to feel it especially as I've gotten older. Hilariously, I went to the doctor and had a scan done on my spine and lower back expecting nearly 20 years of ups to have super hosed it up, but nope, my spinal column is great and the cushions are all fine and no slipped discs or wear or anything. I'm kind of shocked.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is interesting and lol that they're actually so exploitative even the lower to middle management is being hosed over. That's supposed to be your vanguard!

Lower management is first tier of salary. They can work folks as much as they want there. This has been a widespread practice for decades particularly in retail.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah it's a key union busting tactic actually. Lowest tier management used to be worker leadership.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jacksonville, Phoenix, and Houston are only big population wise because they are also huge geographically. Houston and Jax are both twice as big in area as NYC. Phoenix is like 65% bigger. The density of those three is pretty low for what are supposed to be a major cities.
Yeah the Jacksonville city limits encompasses an absurdly large amount of land. You pass the "Welcome to Jax!" sign on 95 and it's surrounded by nothing but forest. Then it's another long stretch on the highway until you start seeing outskirts (the Miami and Tampa areas are the opposite, with the technical core being quite small, but surrounded by dozens of neighborhoods/towns that form the actual city).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Push El Burrito posted:

Hey, it's supposed to be 105 on Tuesday. I want to die!

Pasadena was about 100F today.

For non-LAers, that's not exactly normal, even for summer.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah the Jacksonville city limits encompasses an absurdly large amount of land. You pass the "Welcome to Jax!" sign on 95 and it's surrounded by nothing but forest. Then it's another long stretch on the highway until you start seeing outskirts (the Miami and Tampa areas are the opposite, with the technical core being quite small, but surrounded by dozens of neighborhoods/towns that form the actual city).

I grew up in Tampa, I didn't realize it at the time but it was really strange how much of the Tampa metro area is unincorporated areas with only a handful of other cities or towns. Like Riverview, FL isn't a real place, it's just a name on a map. No Riverview downtown, city hall, or anything like that. Just an endless expanse of subdivisions and strip malls. Has to be one of the worst examples of suburban blight in the country.

Whereas now I'm in Seattle and the metro area here is made up of Seattle along with other distinct towns and cities.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The heat index in Columbus on Friday is expected to be 108. I might just take Phoenix at this point - dry heat isn’t nearly as bad as 95*, a billion humidity and zero wind

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jaxyon posted:

Pasadena was about 100F today.

For non-LAers, that's not exactly normal, even for summer.

LA had a glorious winter, and a fabulous spring, and an unexpectedly amazing start to summer. I really thought we were going to avoid the worst of everything, but now we are in the poo poo of it and I just want to sit in my dark, air-conditioned little house and do absolutely nothing. My kids have to start school in 2 weeks, and I guarantee they won't be doing any outside PE or activities for the first few weeks of school. It breaks my heart that this is the future we are giving them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VorpalBunny posted:

LA had a glorious winter, and a fabulous spring, and an unexpectedly amazing start to summer. I really thought we were going to avoid the worst of everything, but now we are in the poo poo of it and I just want to sit in my dark, air-conditioned little house and do absolutely nothing. My kids have to start school in 2 weeks, and I guarantee they won't be doing any outside PE or activities for the first few weeks of school. It breaks my heart that this is the future we are giving them.

I have a friend who's a LAUSD teacher and she said her students are unbelievably depressed about climate change and the future.

Good times!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zero_Grade posted:

Hell driving inJacksonville you just randomly pass "Welcome to Jacksonville" or "Jacksonville X Miles" signs. The weirdest part is that almost none of the signs are from before the city and county consolidated, so they're intentionally putting up incorrect signs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

Bud there are a ton of videos and pics of crafts out there, many of which are fake. I also think you’re putting an enormous amount of faith in journalistic outlets that have acted as mouthpieces for the government, and censored stories at the informal request of powerful people many times throughout their checkered pasts.

If you went around claiming that government agents dosed you with drugs before the Family Jewels got leaked, you would’ve been seen as crazy too. Lots of people had crazy stories before they were just confirmed history. Parapolitical history is loaded with this stuff—was the Gulf of Tonkin true before it was false?

I am definitely in the “want to believe” camp but am also a pretty firmly grounded materialist, so had no real interest in UFO stuff until a few months ago; it’s the way this process is different in a bureaucratic sense that is making my hair tingle, not the claims. Unless you think it’s the case here that extremely well-credentialed bureaucrats all lost their poo poo simultaneously: AOC, Raskin, the intelligence IG, James Clapper in his front-row seat at today’s hearing, what’s the competing explanation for these alleged kooks, who all had insanely high security clearances, managing to snow all these other public servants?

They're bored. Congress has been gridlocked all year and is gonna stay that way for another year and a half, and it's still a bit too early for campaign season. As long as they're stuck in DC pretending they have any work at all to do, listening to some kooks rant and rave for a while is probably a good break from making fundraising calls all day or listening to Freedom Caucus folks rant about every other conspiracy theory under the sun.

And if letting the UFO kooks have their say buys some actual goodwill from folks like Rubio who genuinely Want To Believe, and maybe even convinces people that the government isn't a coverup machine dedicated to suppressing any opinions that go against orthodoxy, that's a small price to pay. Maybe it'll distract the people who think COVID was a government plan to purge white people with crippling vaccines.

In the end, what decides whether something is credible or not isn't how high-ranking members of government approach it, it's whether there's any actual evidence. After all, the government has to worry about things besides simple truth. A great example of this is how Havana Syndrome has been treated - so far, every indication is that it's a psychogenic illness, but it's politically difficult to tell basically the entire foreign service establishment that their health problems are their own fault, so it's being treated entirely seriously.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

School starts on August 15 now? Is that earlier than it used to start?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

School starts on August 15 now? Is that earlier than it used to start?

August 8th! :pseudo:

It's been creeping earlier and earlier, some chuds are assuming it's because teachers aren't paid for the summer months so they pressured the schools to start earlier and earlier. All I know is, these kids are getting screwed with shorter summer breaks AND climate change!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do they still get out in June with just two weeks off in December? That sucks.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

VorpalBunny posted:

August 8th! :pseudo:

It's been creeping earlier and earlier, some chuds are assuming it's because teachers aren't paid for the summer months so they pressured the schools to start earlier and earlier. All I know is, these kids are getting screwed with shorter summer breaks AND climate change!

So I have a handful of causes that I'm actually super cereal about and I get all activist about it and even get involved in local politics over it. Creeping in the deadlines has been a dumbshit move for a variety of reasons.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Trust me no matter how hot it gets idiots will continue to flock to AZ for the like 2-3 months of actual nice weather they get there. Like this summer is horrible, but it's not like an average summer is a whole lot better there and that never stopped the influx of "You can't shovel sunshine" wackos from moving in.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

School start and stop dates are different all over the country. It is not a standardized thing.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

yougov(B+ 538 rating) has a new poll showing Biden up 4 (about the same amount he won by in 2020). He won 54% of Independents last time, I wonder what will happen to that number.
https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/pvpz4fi6ym/econTabReport.pdf

also public opinion strategies(b+ rating from 538) has a poll with Biden up by 1 in Arizona.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/pvpz4fi6ym/econTabReport.pdf

Interesting to see how the incumbent leads with Independent women in Arizona.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

School start and stop dates are different all over the country. It is not a standardized thing.

I think it's also still typical to have 180 school days per year in most of the country, same as it was at least as far back as the 1980s. If a given district has a shorter summer break than in the past it's probably because there's more time off elsewhere. It's not like "kids off in summer to help on the farm" is nearly as statistically significant as it was years ago.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

They get out at the end of May, usually the Friday before Memorial Day. They get the standard 2 weeks at Christmas/New Years, a week for Thanksgiving and a week for Spring Break. I know some states/districts have random extra weeks off in October and April (fall & spring) but not us!

My kids get 10 weeks off for summer. So 2 1/2 months, barely. A few years ago, we were planning a big end-of-summer trip and were looking at return flights into late August until we realized the kids were back in school in early August. It was a real kick in the crotch, it felt like we barely had time to have fun before it was back to school.

Why can't it be out at Memorial Day and back in after Labor Day? That seems like the perfect bookends to summer.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

For families that have both parents working, A hefty 3 months off is a lot. There's also a lot of learning lost without use that has to be made up.

For food insecure families, that's a long time to be out of school with guaranteed breakfast and lunches. We are in a year round school and it works out great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Congress...good?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/put-american-public-first-senators-211500437.html

'Put the American public first': Senators propose law that bans members of Congress and executive officials — including the president — from trading stocks

quote:

A new law has been proposed that would ban members of Congress and the federal executive branch — including the president — from trading stocks.

The bipartisan “Ban Stock Trading for Government Officials Act” was introduced by Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) in late July.

Breakdown of the bill

The new bill would bar Washington officials from owning or trading stocks, even in blind trusts.

It would also impose penalties of varying degrees against those found to break the rules.

They could also be subject to additional civil penalties in “extraordinary” cases or those that involve “substantial monetary value,” according to a joint press release from Gillibrand and Hawley.

Public support for a ban on stock trading among members of Congress is almost unanimous — with 86% in favor nationwide, according to a new survey by the University of Maryland’s Program for Public Consultation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best part of an actual enforced ban on legislators owning stock is that it would keep anybody who wasn't okay with not having stocks out of the legislature.

It's honestly loving crazy that they can trade stocks and the fact that everybody gets rich as gently caress as soon as they get off the plane in DC shows how much of an absurd advantage insider congressional knowledge gives you in the market. Which is, of course, supposed to be illegal already, but is an enforcement nightmare - banning stockholding altogether is much simpler.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 27, 2023