Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

So when I first installed my Bigsby, I forgot the spring and couldn't figure out why the bar would only bend outwards and make the pitches higher.

lmao why am I allowed to own guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

the design is called voronoi stratocaster on printables

I love this.

What does it weigh?
How does it sound?

mewse
May 2, 2006

havelock posted:

I love this.

What does it weigh?
How does it sound?

I haven't weighed it, but I think it weighs more than you'd expect. It took 1.2kg of filament to print the body, but there's also pockets for 3 pieces of steel flat bar, about 8 inches long apiece, that add weight and rigidity to the center section that's under tension from the strings. The steel bars are kinda visible in this photo:

Now that I've fixed the output jack, I think it sounds like a normal strat? I put in the cheapest ceramic pickups, it sounds like my squier did before I put alnico pickups into it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That's sick. I was going to ask what sort of additional reinforcement it required..

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Of all the 3d printed projects I've seen, a lot of them just seem like a reason to use a 3d printer and I dont see a lot of things that make me stop and really appreciate it. This is pretty cool. Also the color is very nice. I'm so curious how it sounds/feels. but it sure looks cool.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Ugh, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to switch fingerings like that. I find it really awkward :( How fast can you alternate between the two shapes? Maybe I just need to practice swapping between them a lot…

Yeah, that's a good practice technique, just switch between the two chords over and over. Like everything, be slow and accurate first, then work up your speed. It's not easy!!

I recorded a little sample of how I played it, below.

Couple things to note with classical pieces like this (and probably other styles, idk) is you only need to fret the strings you're actually going to play, and you don't need to fret everything at the very start of each bar. For example at the start of the clip, I'm only using two fingers, not bothering with the 5th string at all. Then in bar 13, I put my first finger on the G#, but don't put my 2nd finger down on the E until it's needed halfway through the bar. And in the 19th bar, I made sure to get my first finger down on the G# so I could play it in time, before getting the other two fingers down for the full arpeggiated chord. That can help spread out your finger motions over time, rather than having to do everything in one quick jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yqCLQbv3qk

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Justinguitar has a chord switching drill pretty early on.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/one-minute-changes-exercise-b1-110

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I watched this video on how George benson plays scales down instead of across and it’s a simple idea but it blew my mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLa4_VyFopw

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
found an old ted greene seminar its rad

https://youtu.be/jmIFCepJ6rs

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

TheMightyBoops posted:

I watched this video on how George benson plays scales down instead of across and it’s a simple idea but it blew my mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLa4_VyFopw

I don’t know why he’s right, but he is right

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

found an old ted greene seminar its rad

https://youtu.be/jmIFCepJ6rs

i’ve watched this many times and it’s always so good.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Current baby board for the micro orange stack.

Diy sun face-->modded lmb-3-->mxr 10 band---> diy reverb-->looper-->beat buddy---> micro terror

Does anyone else still have their first "crappy" guitar from 20 years ago? Here's my 2000s Epiphone lp100 that I put some rockfield pickups in during high school.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I didn't know or think to call that horizontal scaling or whatever but I was taught that when I took guitar lessons as a kid. It feels more satisfying to play that way, to me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yes and no.

My actual first guitar was this thing. Some no-name EVH ripoff. No idea where it came from but my dad bought it from a guy he worked with doing with a Peavey rage 108. It sucked. The guitar played terribly. I'm sure a setup would've been ideal but my dad didn't know how to do it and I was young enough I didn't either. It was smaller than fender scale, I'd guess even smaller than Gibson. Maybe it was 3/4 size? The best part was when a friend came over and showed me how to get distortion on the amp and play teen spirit. After I was in a band and this thing was just taking up space, I smashed it on stage during a show.

My first real guitar was a 1997ish squier standard fat strat in British racing green. It saw a lot of use, it was so much easier to play and sounded decent. I bought an hsh pickguard, put a Gibson 490 in the neck with intentions of a 498 in the bridge. Let's be honest, I only ever used the bridge pickup for the music I played back then. The neck sounds great, full and rich dark blues tones. I still have it but I was going to refinish it and put more appropriate pickups in it. I leveled and polished the frets, stripped the paint off. I need to reapply wood filler/leveler and decide what route I want to go with it. It's also not really worth the effort or money to do it. I've stalled because I'd rather build my telecaster instead.

Lol, my Gibson sonex 180 is in the background. I think I had it for two years and traded it for an acoustic. The neck was massive and I didn't like the sound or feel of it. I played it once or twice at shows and was always just a backup.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 26, 2023

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
My starter was one of those Squier Strat starter packs. Dark blue. I kind of miss it, as it probably would’ve been fun to mod… but I was pretty happy to be done with it once I had cut my teeth. I upgraded to a Gibson LP, which I still have, but about three years ago I finally got myself a proper Strat and have pretty much never looked back.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

i still use my first guitar as my main one, an early 90s mexican strat. everything but the body has been replaced, but still

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ColdPie posted:

Yeah, that's a good practice technique, just switch between the two chords over and over. Like everything, be slow and accurate first, then work up your speed. It's not easy!!

I recorded a little sample of how I played it, below.

Couple things to note with classical pieces like this (and probably other styles, idk) is you only need to fret the strings you're actually going to play, and you don't need to fret everything at the very start of each bar. For example at the start of the clip, I'm only using two fingers, not bothering with the 5th string at all. Then in bar 13, I put my first finger on the G#, but don't put my 2nd finger down on the E until it's needed halfway through the bar. And in the 19th bar, I made sure to get my first finger down on the G# so I could play it in time, before getting the other two fingers down for the full arpeggiated chord. That can help spread out your finger motions over time, rather than having to do everything in one quick jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yqCLQbv3qk

Thanks, this helped a lot! It also made sense of a lot of things my teacher was talking about. I think I’m getting a hang of this piece now :dogcited:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Decided to get serious and hire a new recording engineer. She says both my mix and my performances are dogshit? Not happy. Any advice?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

the principle of "it doesn't look like a blues lawyer LP at *all*"
:haw:
i did the bad thing again. heavy rear end 60s lp goes into the 'to be sold' closet.. never to crush my spine again. red-headed (blue headed?) step child of a weight relieved LP model wins.

Current mains fearing for their lives at the dentist office

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 27, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Armacham posted:

I call this image "parenthood"

The stock speaker in the orange cab sucks rear end, so I put in a Jensen I had lying around. Sounds much better now and not like a box inside of another box

lmao, I have a similar picture from a few years back I'm sure except my Beatles book has a big chunk eaten off by my border collie

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

can somebody with a tune-o-matic style bridge tell me, what are your thoughts on strings hitting the back of the bridge after the saddle? raise tailpiece? ignore it? never noticed? It's one of my gripes with nashville bridges on these newer gibsons (since 2000 or so?). They're wider than the ABR-1 and that makes the strings touch the back of the bridge. I'll probably do an ABR conversion to this LP, but it seems maybe a little bit superfluous, my SG with a Nashville bridge for years had the strings touching the back and I don't think I ever noticed until I started doing my own setups

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm pretty sure it's fine from a sound/resonance perspective but if it bugs you, you can raise the stop bar. This will also decrease string tension.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This will also decrease string tension.

no... i've heard this. i dont think it does. the saddle to nut is a fixed distance. if you raise or lower the tailpiece you have increased or decreased tension, but then you must tune up or down the string to compensate. tension therefore is the same...

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I think DIB! means it decreases the downward force of the strings on the saddles because the angle down to the tailpiece becomes shallower.

It might be true? I don't know.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

no... i've heard this. i dont think it does. the saddle to nut is a fixed distance. if you raise or lower the tailpiece you have increased or decreased tension, but then you must tune up or down the string to compensate. tension therefore is the same...

I don't mean the bridge. Changing the break angle is one of the main reasons string tension changes regardless of tuning. For example, a top-loaded Telecaster is much slinkier due to having almost no break angle than body-thru Telecasters which have a normal+ amount of break angle/tension.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It's true that it won't strictly change the tension of a tuned string but it can affect perceived tension or compliance when bending, using vibrato, or any other technique which alters the speaking length of the string. A lower break angle will have less friction across the saddles and may feel easier to manipulate (compliance).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don't mean the bridge. Changing the break angle is one of the main reasons string tension changes regardless of tuning. For example, a top-loaded Telecaster is much slinkier due to having almost no break angle than body-thru Telecasters which have a normal+ amount of break angle/tension.

I'm assuming the bridge itself isn't move up or down. but if you were to change the tension on the actual fretboard side of the saddle the pitch wouldn't be right. I'd think it's perceptively slinkier because of less downward force on the saddle, resulting in less friction, and that's why it's only noticeable during a bend

;efb

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ah ok. thanks youse guys. :D

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ethanol posted:

I'm assuming the bridge itself isn't move up or down. but if you were to change the tension on the actual fretboard side of the saddle the pitch wouldn't be right. I'd think it's perceptively slinkier because of less downward force on the saddle, resulting in less friction, and that's why it's only noticeable during a bend

;efb

Annoyingly actual physicists are very reluctant to study this phenomenon in depth. I think they are being paid off by Big String Manufacturing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Annoyingly actual physicists are very reluctant to study this phenomenon in depth. I think they are being paid off by Big String Manufacturing.

im not convinced its entirely made up that anything is really slinkier considering you are fighting static friction, you don't want the string gliding around the saddle after all. but some amount of movement on the saddle has to be happening to make the bend work, even if its negligible to the human eye I could measure this with a properly sized load cell if you buy me one. I use big ones at work

edit one load cell for the longitudinal tension and another cleverly mounted one to measure the bending force...

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 27, 2023

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Oh, I've tested altering tailpiece heights and there's a perceptible difference, at least to my mind, but I wanted a nice neat graph demonstrating the changes and there's just nothing online. I did find an interesting bit about total string length altering compliance because as you bend a string it stretches the entire core and not just the speaking length, but again not much solid info.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

anyways yeah, i dunno. break angle on a tune-o-matic bridge is like mystic science. Some LP/SG owners will swear up and down the stopbar has to be slammed to deck for tone. I think that's probably a conspiracy. I keep it low enough that only the E strings might be touching. I don't really try to aim it for slinkness on anything because I don't feel like I need any more. That's on a Nashville..ABR-1 always clears. Some claim it's actually neck angle that's off when you have oto raise the stopbar. That might be true but I measured the neck angle on the 3 gibsons I own and they're all virtually identical. only the nashville bridges touch. I don't think it affects anything as long as they're not 'just barely touching' and causing a buzz.

I don't raise it too high though because it looks bad lol

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 27, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

I don't raise it too high though because it looks bad lol

:hmmyes:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm just finishing up my 6-month-long telecaster build and getting excited to play it... then I come to the jack cup.

Wtf? This is the worst design ever! Telecasters are supposed to be utilitarian. I guess I'm off to Lowe's tomorrow to buy the parts to make a jack cup installation tool.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

luchadornado posted:

I'm just finishing up my 6-month-long telecaster build and getting excited to play it... then I come to the jack cup.

Wtf? This is the worst design ever! Telecasters are supposed to be utilitarian. I guess I'm off to Lowe's tomorrow to buy the parts to make a jack cup installation tool.

The Stratocaster is rev 2 and fixes several gripes I have with the telecaster. Why fender doesn’t go back and put them on the telecaster I don’t know. Well I do know, but it’s a bad reason.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Have we got a Mustang expert in the thread?

I love the look of them and have no other single coil guitar, would this work as my only SC?

What’s the deal with Japan vs. Mexico made?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

luchadornado posted:

One word, Electrosocket. There is no reason to use a traditional jack when those exist.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I love the look of them and have no other single coil guitar, would this work as my only SC?

def try one first? they have a pretty short scale length afaik, its one of the reasons you can find '62s still for around 4-6k. (as oppose to tens of thousands for a Strat) there have been a few real '62s for sale near me for less and they're pretty drat tempting. but the scale length stops me

edit: mustang didn't actually exist in '62.. was the duo-sonic, but extremely similar, same scale length

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 28, 2023

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

WRT Japanese vs Mexican:

The difference between a MIM and a MIA is a matter of miles. Unless you’re shelling out for some custom shop job, I don’t see any real reason to splurge when the MIMs play just as nicely.

As for MIJ… I know historically Japanese Fenders (and even Squiers) have been pretty highly revered. The sense I get from their modern offerings is that they’re still arguably as good or better than a MIA Fender, but they’re also getting weird with their poo poo. The color options alone are so wild and different, but you may also find some unique experimental features that you’d never find on a more “traditional” Fender guitar out of an American factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ethanol posted:

def try one first? they have a pretty short scale length afaik, its one of the reasons you can find '62s still for around 4-6k. (as oppose to tens of thousands for a Strat) there have been a few real '62s for sale near me for less and they're pretty drat tempting. but the scale length stops me

Oh that’s a good point, I knew that but didn’t think it would be super different. Will try and find one to play.

Gin_Rummy posted:

WRT Japanese vs Mexican:

The difference between a MIM and a MIA is a matter of miles. Unless you’re shelling out for some custom shop job, I don’t see any real reason to splurge when the MIMs play just as nicely.

As for MIJ… I know historically Japanese Fenders (and even Squiers) have been pretty highly revered. The sense I get from their modern offerings is that they’re still arguably as good or better than a MIA Fender, but they’re also getting weird with their poo poo. The color options alone are so wild and different, but you may also find some unique experimental features that you’d never find on a more “traditional” Fender guitar out of an American factory.

Yeah the used Japanese ones seem to go for a bit cheaper than a New Mexican one so I’ll aim for those.