Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Outrail posted:

Literally any company.

Talk of layoffs: Eh, maybe dust off the resume.
No more coffee: All hands abandon ship.

It’s a cheap drink that makes people work harder. Even slave drivers saw the value in handing out coca. The only reason anyone really takes away coffee is they secretly hate their employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

Zero.

I guarantee a committee of olds greenlit what they thought would engage young people because they have no idea what people want.

it was a committee of the middle aged greenlighting a competitive thing to the existential threat of tiktok

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Cell coverage. I used to have a cell tower with Verizon and T-Mobile on the water tower behind my house. I noticed my cell service went to poo poo in my house and found that at some point in the last 2 years, those towers were removed and now the nearest tower is like two miles away. Why the gently caress would they take it down? It's a residential area with thousands of people. AT&T has no towers anywhere in the area at all and the Verizon and T-Mobile towers are on the same water tower 2 miles away, which makes switching carriers completely pointless. Is it even worth trying?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

sebmojo posted:

I agree but can't stop watching them

:same: if I wanted to lose blocks of time with no meaning I'd do salvia.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
I just noticed LinkedIn premium is $40/month

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

euphronius posted:

Shorts is the worst thing I’ve ever seen. Who asked for them

You're not the target demo. It's for kids whose parents won't let them install Tik Tok.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Watching tiktoks and youtube shorts makes me sad about vine.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

EDIT

for content, and in the same vein - Chipotle. They're all poo poo now. Everything is stale, the portions are pathetic, and its really expensive for what it is now. Also I feel like their chicken is 100x greasier, although maybe related to my Panera quality complaints, I once heard that Panera and Chipotle source their chicken together, and Panera gets the white meat and Chipotle gets the dark?

i feel blessed to have two good chipotles in town, $8.35 for a veggie bowl w/ guac included and those things are packed full, almost too much for one meal

the one closest to me struggled a lot in 2021/22 and had huge lines due to increased online orders and fewer staff, but seems to be back to normal now

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Peggy Edson posted:

Cell coverage. I used to have a cell tower with Verizon and T-Mobile on the water tower behind my house. I noticed my cell service went to poo poo in my house and found that at some point in the last 2 years, those towers were removed and now the nearest tower is like two miles away. Why the gently caress would they take it down? It's a residential area with thousands of people. AT&T has no towers anywhere in the area at all and the Verizon and T-Mobile towers are on the same water tower 2 miles away, which makes switching carriers completely pointless. Is it even worth trying?

You’ve already been infected by the 5G, so they need to move those antennas to more conservative areas to transmit the woke mind virus.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
T-Shirts all suck now. I know I've put on weight, but this isn't about my misguided attempts to still try and fit into a large shirt when I almost certainly need an XL and then getting mad it doesn't fit around the middle. No, this is about the sleeves.

It seems like ~10 years ago, all the t-shirt manufacturers got together and decided to make the sleeves REALLY short. Like, it doesn't matter if you get a M, L, or XL...the sleeves are all going to be the same length, and that length is "your armpit hair pokes out if you raise your arms."

WTF? I don't want ones that go to my elbow, or anything, but it seems any new shirt I buy, the sleeves are just too drat short (especially the inner seem , so you get shirts where the hem line is at a very odd angle.)

Nov 6, 2002

maybe you got gorilla arms

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

speaking of cell service getting worse, the closest cell tower to my house seems to no longer have any sort of backup power

infrastructure in FL is terrible and i lose power in my beach town a couple times a month, either from storms or it just going out randomly for an hour with no explanation

cell service immediately goes from great to unusable and extremely low signal. some of that could be from extra use when everyone’s wired internet goes out in the neighborhood, but it’s not super dense here and usually these outages affect less than 100 houses according to the power utility that sends outage notices, so i’m pretty sure the close tower just goes out too and has no emergency power

in the late 2010s we had several multiday outages due to hurricanes and cell internet worked great. last year when we lost power from Ian it barely worked (verizon was bad, tmobile was completely out)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

T-Shirts all suck now. I know I've put on weight, but this isn't about my misguided attempts to still try and fit into a large shirt when I almost certainly need an XL and then getting mad it doesn't fit around the middle. No, this is about the sleeves.

It seems like ~10 years ago, all the t-shirt manufacturers got together and decided to make the sleeves REALLY short. Like, it doesn't matter if you get a M, L, or XL...the sleeves are all going to be the same length, and that length is "your armpit hair pokes out if you raise your arms."

WTF? I don't want ones that go to my elbow, or anything, but it seems any new shirt I buy, the sleeves are just too drat short (especially the inner seem , so you get shirts where the hem line is at a very odd angle.)

buy 'athletic' t-shirts instead they have long sleeves still also they are usually moisture-wicking so they dry sweat quickly
you are welcome :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kohls has nice big and tall tshirts for you

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DrBouvenstein posted:

About 2 years ago, I bought a bunch of new work shirts, polos and the like, while keeping my perfectly usable undershirts. Ran into the same problem only now my old undershirts stick out at least 2 inches. It's hideous. I'm still shook.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Chipotle no longer sells quesadillas. I mean you can order a quesadilla through their app, but it's nowhere near the size it used to be, it's about a third of the size, and most Chipotles don't offer them anymore.

Also, Florida sucks in general, but the fact that so many coral reefs have bleached out the past few weeks, one of those short vision, long-term problems without any reefs in the area, if nothing else, you think the morons in charge would hear about the tourism being hit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Tourists will stop turning up, and they'll blame wokism or Barbie or China or literally anything but their refusal to understand cause and effect

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the coral is actually based because it expelled the woke algae come check out our pure white coral

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
While we’re complaining about clothes, can jeans companies please stop putting flexible fabric in the jeans so that after a few washes the jeans have shrunken an inch? I understand that I’m buying cheapo jeans at Walmart, but if I wanted a size 32 instead of a 34, I would have bought the 32s. At least I can chuckle to myself about being too fat for fat jeans.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MoonshineWilly posted:

While we’re complaining about clothes, can jeans companies please stop putting flexible fabric in the jeans so that after a few washes the jeans have shrunken an inch? I understand that I’m buying cheapo jeans at Walmart, but if I wanted a size 32 instead of a 34, I would have bought the 32s. At least I can chuckle to myself about being too fat for fat jeans.
\

This

also, why are clothes shrinking in general? All my poo poo doesn't fit and I'm certain it isn't anything to do with my expanding waistline.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I've had jeans and pants like that for years and they never shrank. I don't know what you folks are doing to them.

I buy cheap poo poo, too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just don't wash my denim more than once or twice a year.

Nov 6, 2002

skooma512 posted:

I just don't wash my denim more than once or twice a year.

Goons. Goons never change.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
"Shorts" are just YouTube videos but you can't move around the timeline, right? gently caress that. I refuse to watch anything that doesn't let me watch it how I want to.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

credburn posted:

"Shorts" are just YouTube videos but you can't move around the timeline, right? gently caress that. I refuse to watch anything that doesn't let me watch it how I want to.

fight the power brother

https://pluralistic.net/2023/07/24/rent-to-pwn/#kitt-is-a-demon

doctorow on cars getting shittier

quote:

Digital feudalism hasn't stopped innovating – it's just stopped innovating good things. The digital device is an endless source of sadistic novelties, like the cellphones that disable your most-used app the first day you're late on a payment, then work their way down the other apps you rely on for every day you're late:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

One thing I will say that HAS gotten better somehow is automotive headlights plastic. I live in the desert where the sun is brutal and relentless, and it seemed like for a good while a brand new car’s headlights would turn hideous yellow and dingy/peeled from UV light after just a couple of years. It was really bad on cars from the ‘90s and ‘00s, and there wasn’t too much you could do about it. It was inevitable even if you bought creams and such to prevent it from happening,

Cars made within the past 10 years seem to have figured out the best material for headlights because every 2013 and up car I see on the road here still has crisp and clear headlights. I have a 2017 that almost never sees shade, and the headlights still look like new. Kudos to car manufacturers for finally figuring it out.

I’d still prefer glass headlights, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Captain Vimes boot theory of economics is broken because even expensive boots fall to pieces in a few months now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Moon Monster posted:

The Captain Vimes boot theory of economics is broken because even expensive boots fall to pieces in a few months now.

Truly we have entered a dark age of capitalism

It was always dark, but it's like darker now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

One thing I will say that HAS gotten better somehow is automotive headlights plastic. I live in the desert where the sun is brutal and relentless, and it seemed like for a good while a brand new car’s headlights would turn hideous yellow and dingy/peeled from UV light after just a couple of years. It was really bad on cars from the ‘90s and ‘00s, and there wasn’t too much you could do about it. It was inevitable even if you bought creams and such to prevent it from happening,

Cars made within the past 10 years seem to have figured out the best material for headlights because every 2013 and up car I see on the road here still has crisp and clear headlights. I have a 2017 that almost never sees shade, and the headlights still look like new. Kudos to car manufacturers for finally figuring it out.

I’d still prefer glass headlights, though.

hmm
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7252168895224679722
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7257677854706535723

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

Yeah they just use a completely separate player to normal YouTube video that basically has zero features and is shitter in every way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s like a separate app in the app

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Those are tail lights, though. But yes, I live in AZ and I’ve never seen that before.

Some poor crossing guard in Phoenix had the soles of his shoes melt on the pavement recently, I’m picturing it like that one dude in Volcano who sacrificed himself to get the conductor out of the stalled subway train with the heat from the lava melting his shoes.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 27, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think the only positive I can think of with youtube shorts is it puts all that garbage in one location. If there was an effective way of just never seeing them it might of actually been a good idea.

I actually bothred to google "benefits of youtube shorts" and it was literally just all advertisers saying, hey it's a good way of showing people your short ads when they're on the go!"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I use an extension that turns shorts into normal videos. Can't fix the content, but the player can be turned back to normal. When shorts first came out you could edit the url to get it back to the normal player, and this extension just redirects you to the URL that isn't on a short player. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-shorts-block/ Available on chrome too.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
those jackals in Washington :jerkbag: I tell ya!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Scroll bars, wtf, too thin, can't grab with cursor, oh you moved the cursor here because you want it to disappear to click on something? because that's a thing people do?? gently caress right off who designs this poo poo lol

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I think part of the problem is that the pace of invention used to be slower, so when a technology happened, it would be improved and iterated upon several times before the next big game-changing technology came along. Now, it seems like an endless parade of stopgap or nonstarter tech that comes along in the lulls between actual seismic shifts in technology. Nothing is around long enough to grow and mature, so it's just one lovely new-and-different-enough half-measure that sort of addresses a problem while introducing two new ones.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Time_pants posted:

I think part of the problem is that the pace of invention used to be slower, so when a technology happened, it would be improved and iterated upon several times before the next big game-changing technology came along. Now, it seems like an endless parade of stopgap or nonstarter tech that comes along in the lulls between actual seismic shifts in technology. Nothing is around long enough to grow and mature, so it's just one lovely new-and-different-enough half-measure that sort of addresses a problem while introducing two new ones.

Nah, a lot of the shitness just comes from trying to make things cheaper and with more ads. Often first versions of things will actually be pretty good, but once people start using it than they just ad on more crap and don't care as much as people are already using it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

it's not 1992 any more grampa, short sleeves are supposed to end at mid-bicep when your arms are relaxed, not hit your elbow and billow out like Doug Funnie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I've still yet to achieve my dream of a closet full of identical outfits.