Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

IIRC one of the features of Nishonseki's building was private rooms for lower division guys which while its probably the lowest possible bar to clear, it does show some thought for Rikishi quality of life and was apparently enough of a revolution to be brought up in the story.

and while yes living in a dojo every day is different from travel or training camp, there's nfl teams that don't give players their own rooms while traveling

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

They really just need to axe the summer jungyo from the schedule and let the rikishi rest and recover. A couple months of rest would do wonders for the quality of the sport. Nobody is going to be able to recover when doing training in 100 degree heat.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Teddybear posted:

Any word on who's going up from makushita? I know those usually get announced relatively quickly.

5 men confirmed promoted:
1. Tokihayate (made it to Juryo for a single basho previously and will now be re-promoted after a Makushita yusho)
2. Onosato of Nishonoseki-beya (the promising Nakamura who started at Makushita 10 like Ochiai/Hakuoho)
3. Takahashi also of Nishonoseki-beya (tore through the lower ranks, yet to have an MK)
4. Mukainakano from Miyagino/Hakuho beya will be called Tenshoho now
5. Ishizaki from Takasago beya (a former Sandanme Tsukedashi 100 guy with a decent amateur background) will be called Asakoryu.

Kisenosato vs Hakuho as coaches will be a fun subtext for the next couple years. Hakuho definitely had a head start but it's early yet.

(edited! thanks Brut!)

Lucasar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 26, 2023

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Vargatron posted:

They really just need to axe the summer jungyo from the schedule and let the rikishi rest and recover. A couple months of rest would do wonders for the quality of the sport. Nobody is going to be able to recover when doing training in 100 degree heat.

We could probably do without the July basho altogether, especially if they're going to insist on putting it in Nagoya

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Khizan posted:

What are they supposed to do about fighting injured?

I have no idea :shrug: but people ITT keep saying that they're gonna be progressive in some way, I'm not the one making the argument that anything's gonna change. I realize most of it is based on kyokai positions 10-15 years down the line though and not how they manage their own heya, I'm just getting my bad predictions in early, just like I said Nishikigi was gonna get makekoshi this basho.

Lucasar posted:

2. Onosato of Nishonoseki-beya (the promising Nakamura who started at Makushita 15 like Ochiai/Hakuoho)

Just gonna pedantically point out that he started at Ms10, he's also fought Ishizaki twice now and lost both times.

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 26, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Regarding fighting injured, that starts in the heyas. 14 hour practice sessions, full contact tachisis hundreds of times a day and all that stupid poo poo that every modern sport has figured out is terrible for longevity and peak performance I predict to diminish under hak / kise

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alright, it's a couple days late but honestly this always happens. We have the final results of the Nagoya 2023 Fantasy Sumo tournament!

Final results

Makuuchi
code:
69	Brut
58	Akiosan
57.5	Vargatron
56	MyChemicalImbalance
55	Kenning
53	Marching Powder
52.5	Banana Canada
52.5	Mode 7
51.5	Saturnine Aberrance
51	Eli949
50.5	Pakled
50	GoatSeeGuy
50	Khizan
50	pseudodragon
50	Teddybear
49	Iron Chef Nex
48.5	Charles Gnarwin
48.5	NuclearPotato
48	Everyones Favorite Poster
46	Helianthus Annuus
45.5	bessantj
45	Netsky
44.5	Thauros
44	Fluffdaddy
44	Kuros
43.5	Ice Phisherman
43.5	Robviously
43.5	Tiny Bug Child
43	whats for dinner
42	Lid
40	anakha
39.5	Tochiazuma
39	Communist Thoughts
39	Jobbo_Fett
37	bartolimu
33.5	LlamaTrauma
Juryo
code:
59.5	Crusty Nutsack
56.5	rare Magic card l00k
56	Xerzes
55	FART BOSS
53.5	Single Tight Female
52	Average Lettuce
49.5	Nativity In Black
48.5	Chinook
48	Ben Nerevarine
48	Boogalo
47.5	Fearless
46.5	NTRabbit
46.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
45.5	Bentai
44.5	Octatonic
43	Dead Goon
43	QuasiQuack
43	Takuan
40	Gaghskull
40	oldskool
39	Eldoop
38.5	Medenmath
38	Log082
37	ratmosphere
33.5	PJ
33	ImplicitAssembler
27.5	Beexoffel
Congratulations to Brut for a commanding win in makuuchi! As the only fantasy player who chose Hokutofuji (!), they benefited from having both the yusho and the jun-yusho winner in their stable. They also had 3 kanto-sho winners in their stable, including M13 Gonoyama. A truly excellent team, rounded out by Meisei and the hapless Y/O field of Terunofuji and Kirishima. Down in juryo, Crusty Nutsack took the yusho with yusho winner Hoshoryu and sansho-winning debutante Gonoyama. The early basho contest between FART BOSS and rare Magic card l00k fell by the wayside based on the choice of Shonnanoumi in the first case and Takayasu in the second (and also choosing Daieisho for S/K but who's counting), although both had respectable showings, especially shin-fantasy FART BOSS.

Special shout out to two of our fantasy players that started off kyujo and came in late. Jobbo_Fett came in on Day 4, but with a strong team managed to stay 3 off the bottom of the makuuchi roster, while hapless Beexoffel only managed a single kachi-koshi, with Kotoeko. Despite my reservations at fighting through injury, I congratulate them both (along with fellow initially-kyujo Communist Thoughts) on their fighting spirit, and wish them a speedy recovery so that they may return to fighting trim in Aki. I would also like to call out the remarkable hinkaku of the aptly-named Fearless for sticking with Asanoyama despite his temporary withdrawal, and being rewarded with a clean kachi-koshi from the former ozeki.

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: Due to the Y/O situation, no one properly took a Gino-sho, but if you don't count the top rank, we can congratulate Brut and FART BOSS
Kanto-sho: Brut, FART BOSS
Shukun-sho: Brut

As always, I'm excited for everyone to get some rest in August, and show up ready to fight in September. Hopefully we'll have a more full and satisfying card of yokozuna and ozeki to contend with.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 27, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I missed Ishiura retired!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kenning posted:

Makuuchi
code:
69	Brut

Nice.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nice.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Nice.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Kenning posted:

Down in juryo, Average Lettuce took the yusho

I'm confused, didn't Crusty Nutsack (lol) win?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Average Lettuce posted:

I'm confused, didn't Crusty Nutsack (lol) win?

Wow okay yes that's correct I was very bleary-eyed writing up the post. Don't let the rest of the thread know, but I've written listing copy on e-commerce websites for so long that I can make a sixth-place finisher sound like a champion as long as no one looks at the scores. I've updated the post with a more accurate congrats to Crusty Nutsack.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Thanks for running things Kenning! Never expected to earn two special prizes in my first basho. Eager to keep developing my own brand of fantasy sumo in September (and probably never go KK again)

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Kenning posted:

Wow okay yes that's correct I was very bleary-eyed writing up the post. Don't let the rest of the thread know, but I've written listing copy on e-commerce websites for so long that I can make a sixth-place finisher sound like a champion as long as no one looks at the scores. I've updated the post with a more accurate congrats to Crusty Nutsack.

I wouldn't mind winning! But still, a respectable result.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Disastrous finish to the basho for me. The Nagoya heat really took its toll on me and I need to redouble my training efforts so I'm properly conditioned to do my style of fantasy sumo (losing) for the full fifteen days.

Thanks very much for running it yet again, Kenning!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I mean, the sumo to professional wrestling pipeline is very real. It could happen. Or at least he might do a few guest appearances while he still has name recognition.

No tochi! You're having stem cells injected into your heart. Go to bed and stay there for 10 years.

Re: miyagino

I was also a little disappointed to see that hakuhos stable is very much traditional, it doesn't really look modernised much at all
I did like the bedazzled tracksuit he was wearing in sumo prime times vid

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Solidly lower-mid table.

I have found my niche, I have found my Sumo.

Thanks Kenning for another great basho!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My heya was in rare form this basho! I'll take 3rd place in makuuchi every day of the week.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Thanks as always Kenning for running this. My squad wasn't great but hopefully I did enough to stave off demotion but I look forward to continuing practicing my brand of Sumo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
My stated goal was to role play as a perpetually m15 rikishi and to find myself looking at ascending to sanyaku is a bizarrely sincere emotion to have about fantasy sumo lol. thanks kenning.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks as always, Kenning. A memorable basho, and with this new blood rising through the ranks, so begins a new era in which I will continue to practice my brand of sumo.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Kenning posted:

:woop:

I can't wait to get back to makuuchi and do absolutely terribly again

thanks kenning!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Regarding fighting injured, that starts in the heyas. 14 hour practice sessions, full contact tachisis hundreds of times a day and all that stupid poo poo that every modern sport has figured out is terrible for longevity and peak performance I predict to diminish under hak / kise

Yeah, I don't think we see any big changes in the system for years. iIRC beyond Kise, there's a couple other guys that went for Sports Science/Management degrees post-career so hopefully they do the boring stuff that doesn't make the news like proper rest and recovery between basho/contact limits/pro strength and conditioning programs.

Thauros posted:

and while yes living in a dojo every day is different from travel or training camp, there's nfl teams that don't give players their own rooms while traveling

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

Man, the NFLPA sucks rear end. Even the lovely NHLPA, which has had multiple leaders fired/arrested for professional misconduct (spying on member emails) to straight up bribery and collusion managed to get private rooms as a CBA term.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that loving shared room poo poo for nfl players is wild.

really happy for the lower division guys to ge their own rooms. we'll be able to get some solid data on how being able to jack off in peace once in a while affects your sumo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice.

Well done Brut and the Crusty Nutsack, you truly are the best of us.

In Makushita Takerufuji is having a fine old time of it. He's gone 6-1 for the third time in a row since his debut at the end of last year. I think if he goes 6-1 again he'll be into Juryo at the end of the year.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Communist Thoughts posted:

I was also a little disappointed to see that hakuhos stable is very much traditional, it doesn't really look modernised much at all
I did like the bedazzled tracksuit he was wearing in sumo prime times vid

I don't think he's built his own stable yet, this is the same as the old Miyagino one.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks for all you do Kenning, great basho all! Think that's a PB for me, can't wait for this to be my ultimate peak and then a long time languishing in juryo before I'm put out to pasture. Might go spread COVID at a hostess bar and come back in a year, see if it improves my chances.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Hey I have a Hattorizakura question, I just looked at his SumoDB and I noticed that just before his retirement he reached a career high rank of Jk9, now I know that in the bottom division you get promoted even with any wins at all, but going from 24 to 9 after 0 wins seems unusual even by those standards, what happened in that basho that caused this?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Hakuho's pretty new as an oyakata and he wasn't unanimously supported in his role. The JSA considered making him 'apprentice' as an oyakata for a lengthy period of time before being allowed to run his own stable, they made him sign a loyalty pledge about 'maintaining the spirit of sumo', failure to maintain proper behavior could result in his kabu being revoked, etc. It's not surprising at all that he's basically toeing the line right now, because he's not particularly popular with the higher ups in the JSA.

Keeping to tradition is the smart move for him right now, because he's 38 and the Hakkaku crowd is pushing 60. Time is on his side, as long as he's patient and avoids getting forced out of the JSA early.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Giving it a quick look, it's because maezumo was cancelled due to Covid so anyone who debuted had to be ranked under him.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Khizan posted:

Hakuho's pretty new as an oyakata and he wasn't unanimously supported in his role. The JSA considered making him 'apprentice' as an oyakata for a lengthy period of time before being allowed to run his own stable, they made him sign a loyalty pledge about 'maintaining the spirit of sumo', failure to maintain proper behavior could result in his kabu being revoked, etc. It's not surprising at all that he's basically toeing the line right now, because he's not particularly popular with the higher ups in the JSA.

Keeping to tradition is the smart move for him right now, because he's 38 and the Hakkaku crowd is pushing 60. Time is on his side, as long as he's patient and avoids getting forced out of the JSA early.

also I have to imagine full modernisation doesn't exactly happen overnight. The stable isn't gonna suddenly look like an MMA gym

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Robviously posted:

Giving it a quick look, it's because maezumo was cancelled due to Covid so anyone who debuted had to be ranked under him.

Ah gotcha, I figured it was something along those lines, thanks!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

I think it's PR and image management but I think it's interesting how Hak and Kise have sort of switched roles in retirement. The bad boy Hak is growing the company line basically doing things old school but better, showing that he can be a good, productive member of the JSA. Meanwhile, Kise, the poster boy for proper behavior is publicly getting an education and promoting all the new stuff he is doing to position himself as a leader.

Although I think at heart, Hak has always been a traditionalist. He butt heads with the JSA and YDC, but it seemed like he always had his idea of what sumo is supposed to be and stuck with that.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
some of that also might be that the former Hakuho is on thin ice with the JSA and has to toe the line now

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think i should get 10 points for each person i beat.

Tied for Yonkogoona

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

Although I think at heart, Hak has always been a traditionalist. He butt heads with the JSA and YDC, but it seemed like he always had his idea of what sumo is supposed to be and stuck with that.

man i cannot get with this take at all. he respects sumo. he's a sumo scholar. he's the greatest practitioner the sport has ever seen. i guess i'd call him a traditionalist in the sense that he wouldn't gently caress with what he considers the soul of the sport, but i'd count on that same reverence to stand up against practices that wound the soul of the sport.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

man i cannot get with this take at all. he respects sumo. he's a sumo scholar. he's the greatest practitioner the sport has ever seen. i guess i'd call him a traditionalist in the sense that he wouldn't gently caress with what he considers the soul of the sport, but i'd count on that same reverence to stand up against practices that wound the soul of the sport.

Yeah, I guess that actually describes what I think better than how I said it. A sumo philosopher that believes in the heart of sumo. I guess it comes down to what he considers fundamental to sumo life and experience vs. the dumb poo poo that should be thrown out. Like I agree that he'll stand up to what he believes is right, but I think what he considers right comes from lessons from the past and adapting and perfecting those as opposed to seeking out lessons from outside sumo.

I think his reforms would be more evolutionary, aimed at perfecting the art while preserving its soul rather than revolutionary changes no matter the origin and changing sumo to adapt if that makes sense.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

I think his reforms would be more evolutionary, aimed at perfecting the art while preserving its soul rather than revolutionary changes no matter the origin and changing sumo to adapt if that makes sense.

yep now we're 100% on the same page. well put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Thanks Kenning! I always love doing fantasy sumo and look forward to it, even when I lose really hard before I could become an ozeki.