Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Well, it looks like the labour union is getting involved, so the whole "fake contract breach as a reason for firing" thing might end up being a bit of an issue for PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOdysseyHadAPurpose/comments/159xq41/most_complete_summary_of_whats_been_going_on_ive/

So here's the most complete summary I've seen yet. If you wanna bring someone up to speed, throw this at them. It even includes the insane manifesto they brought with them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Well, it looks like the labour union is getting involved, so the whole "fake contract breach as a reason for firing" thing might end up being a bit of an issue for PM.

There's still a ton of drama telephone going on so I dunno if that's actually happening, but good if it is imo

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

From what I could gather about the situation it was more like "rebuff the psychos who are making 'grievances' under the implicit threat of declaring PM to be radfem lovers to their local chan equivalent and starting a harassment campaign that could lead to the office being burnt or employees getting hurt while the government looks the other way", but they could have just put on a notice of "We are investigating this" and let the chuds think they won to get more time to think.

As I said I can understand they made a terrible decision due to threats (and Chinese/Korean/Japanese channers are indeed terrifying) but they still made the worst decision possible IMO.

Yeah i'm in the same place, there were only bad choices but they made the most bad one. But I can't say I would have done differently, as someone interested in not being shanked by an incel. The contract breach thing there's no real excuse for so I'm totally willing to poo poo on them for that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOdysseyHadAPurpose/comments/159xq41/most_complete_summary_of_whats_been_going_on_ive/

So here's the most complete summary I've seen yet. If you wanna bring someone up to speed, throw this at them. It even includes the insane manifesto they brought with them.

oh my god they thought Yi Sang touching a hand mirror was the artist calling their dicks small

this is like entire new vistas of insecure

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yinlock posted:

oh my god they thought Yi Sang touching a hand mirror was the artist calling their dicks small

this is like entire new vistas of insecure

The English language internet has now discovered the pinch emoji and its connotations for the whiniest babies in South Korea, so at least seeing it posted at them everywhere relevant that's still open is funny.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Yinlock posted:

There's still a ton of drama telephone going on so I dunno if that's actually happening, but good if it is imo

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOdysseyHadAPurpose/comments/15a423z/unions_are_getting_involved/

I am basing it mostly on this reddit thread that has link to an actual statement from an union (in the rare moments it isn't getting DDoS'ed by incels :v:) and the article Valleyant posted in this thread that mentions union as well. So at the very least, an union is aware of the situation and looking into it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The English language internet has now discovered the pinch emoji and its connotations for the whiniest babies in South Korea, so at least seeing it posted at them everywhere relevant that's still open is funny.

the korean incels are simply not ready. the english internet has had more Dick Discourse than all of human history combined, even the worst parts of it are utterly numb to it while these guys are making GBS threads themselves over someone touching glass the wrong way

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
All I'll say is that this thread from someone who says they've worked in anti-fascist and anti-extremisrs spaces says the Korean incels are wimps who are conflict averse but realized some gaming companies will crumble to their demands so they go after them. So ya know.

https://twitter.com/ongoingwithyou1/status/1684097603125010432?t=cZu1Nc2nJFC2IuLdR3QBfQ&s=19

It also has a good explanation of what Megalia is/was at the very least which seems to track from other sources I've seen talk about it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MagusDraco posted:

All I'll say is that this thread from someone who says they've worked in anti-fascist and anti-extremisrs spaces says the Korean incels are wimps who are conflict averse but realized some gaming companies will crumble to their demands so they go after them. So ya know.

https://twitter.com/ongoingwithyou1/status/1684097603125010432?t=cZu1Nc2nJFC2IuLdR3QBfQ&s=19

It also has a good explanation of what Megalia is/was at the very least which seems to track from other sources I've seen talk about it

well I mean if projmoon can wind up backpedaling with no consequences from team incel that would be the least bad outcome from here

but yeah thanks for this

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Google Jeb Bush posted:

well I mean if projmoon can wind up backpedaling with no consequences from team incel that would be the least bad outcome from here

but yeah thanks for this

it does make them look much worse if they just bowed down to whiny babies who were never gonna do anything in truth

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Quackles posted:

Fair. What would going to bat for her have looked like, in your opinion?
Given the context.

There's a spectrum of options that are all better than what they opted for. The absolute bare minimum would have been firing her, but admitting they did it because they were scared rather than making up obvious horseshit about a contract violation that didn't happen. I'd probably still dump them for that, but I'd do it with less contempt.

Trying to put myself into the shoes of a spineless middle manager in this scenario, an optimistic path probably would have been something like issuing a statement that the employee has matured from her teenage years as a feminist (this feels gross to even type but I'm pretending the most dire pictures we've seen are accurate and these freaks have the full support of the government), deleted all the tweets in question (which AFAIK based on telephone did in fact happen years ago), and "clarifying" that Yi Sang was not in fact insulting anyone's dick and that "Let's Go" is a common English phrase not intended to offend, etc. etc. Promise to review art more carefully in the future, pile of apologems for all, and so on.

Lots of room to do better than that, of course, but it would have been a hell of a lot better than what has happened so far.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 26, 2023

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So uh maybe I'm dumb as poo poo, but why couldn't project moon just loving lie to the mob? Put the artist on a (paid) suspension while they "investigate" and just quietly let her come back when these people stop giving a poo poo?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DrManiac posted:

So uh maybe I'm dumb as poo poo, but why couldn't project moon just loving lie to the mob? Put the artist on a (paid) suspension while they "investigate" and just quietly let her come back when these people stop giving a poo poo?

because the director made a worse decision on the fly

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Probably anything but "fire her over a phone call and make an announcement that you fired her under a fake contract breach to appease a bunch of psychos who will just do this again whenever they feel like because you let them know they can get results and away with this".

That's not an answer

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

MagusDraco posted:

tbf it was like, two whole years ago that hamhampangpang employees were being stalked and harassed and the PM director had to threaten legal action to shut it down. so the company has direct experience with this stuff being more than empty threats. obviously they still hosed up by making a kneejerk overreaction in this case and the guy calling the shots not even being in the country at the time didn't help anything

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Did they fire all their translators too, how have they not released their statement in any other language

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

lets hang out posted:

Did they fire all their translators too, how have they not released their statement in any other language

Presumably under the idea that the people who care will find a translation anyway and hopefully the people on the margins won't bother. The same lovely, cynical damage control as the rest of this, really.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
seen many memes about how it's taking them longer to make a global announcement than it did for them to decide to fire the lady, lol

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

"What happens if the company ignores them? Well, from the experience till now on - frankly, nothing. Companies like Clover Games or CYM have just refused to bend to this nonsense and have continued business just fine." If this is true then LOL ProjectMoon, LMAO even.

e.: Here's the "nothing happened to the others who told the incels to gently caress off" substantiation but it requires translation: https://twitter.com/ongoingwithyou1/status/1684305005887516674

I can understand why people jumped to "well what could they do, they were being threatened", but idk, maybe telling the SK incels to gently caress off would have been fine?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 26, 2023

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
https://twitter.com/domumumuk/status/1684318907203567617

seems like this story got in the news over there

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

it does make them look much worse if they just bowed down to whiny babies who were never gonna do anything in truth

look just because the trolley problem turns out to be between throwing a lady under the charon bus or having to ignore some internet tough guys doesn't mean that they're bad ok and it doesn't change what they've written being true :colbert:

Seriously though lol that they folded to some weird nerds and probably only encouraged them to actually do things

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
Feels a bit weird people saying "well okay guess I'm dropping project moon stuff" and then continuing to post in the thread.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My last post before going to sleep is that I find it funny in a morbid? kind of way that they apparently had a multipage manifesto about all the "feminist agenda" in the game and then put on the end "also we're mad at Heathcliff and Faust nerfs"

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Numbus26 posted:

Feels a bit weird people saying "well okay guess I'm dropping project moon stuff" and then continuing to post in the thread.

Yeah this whole "Thread about game turns into :suspense: when poo poo goes weird with the company" never happens around here

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Numbus26 posted:

the people who have decided to drop their games can still want to talk about what happened to the studio or follow what happens next, there's no contradiction

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

My last post before going to sleep is that I find it funny in a morbid? kind of way that they apparently had a multipage manifesto about all the "feminist agenda" in the game and then put on the end "also we're mad at Heathcliff and Faust nerfs"

ALL WOMEN MUST BE PURGED and also representation emitter's nerf is a major downer man

darkfenrir
Sep 29, 2021
https://twitter.com/world1_11/status/1684048780981850112

Another post to possibly attempt to explain things, this time from another Korean as well. Man feels like PM is being too spineless with these

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
We've been hearing literally every possible gradient from "they literally kill people" to "they're harmless" on the incel topic so far. I'm still not sure what to believe.

EDIT: I do know to believe it was a bad thing Project Moon dod, obviously.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lets hang out posted:

i assume they wanted to keep things on the dl with as little fuss as possible. i wonder how that worked out

RottenK posted:

seems like this story got in the news over there

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Probe 17 posted:

We've been hearing literally every possible gradient from "they literally kill people" to "they're harmless" on the incel topic so far. I'm still not sure what to believe.

EDIT: I do know to believe it was a bad thing Project Moon dod, obviously.

it's mostly just trying to determine where they fall on the coward-o-meter now

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Yinlock posted:

Yeah, this seems to be it. At this point I'm just keeping my fingers crossed they can make this better somehow... but this is a pretty dire screwup.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yinlock posted:

turning a big dial that says "potential danger" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

darkfenrir posted:

https://twitter.com/world1_11/status/1684048780981850112

Another post to possibly attempt to explain things, this time from another Korean as well. Man feels like PM is being too spineless with these

this is a really good thread. I wonder what the hell the illustrators even going to be able to do after this. Change career?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

At least some people are having fun.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Junpei posted:

At least some people are having fun.

look, if heathcliff isn't wearing a helmet that says 'meat' whats even the point

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, from where I'm standing I'm not in the 'drop everything Project Moon has ever done and salt the earth' camp, but everything I can glean from the scattered bits of information that make any sort of coherent narrative is they made a really lovely choice really quickly and I'm definitely hoping the backlash is going to cause them to re-evaluate. It sounds like they didn't think the international audience would care about any of this but it turns out firing an illustrator for breach of contract when she didn't actually breach contract because a bunch of lovely whiners decided to review-bomb the game and show up at the offices is pretty upsetting to most people invested in the themes of their games.

Like, I'm not going to argue with people that feel like this leaves enough of a bad taste in their mouth to ruin their enjoyment, but I'd rather PM realized they done hosed up and tried to turn things around.

In other news I literally just started playing Limbus Company and while I'm familiar with the worldbuilding I'm definitely, uh, still figuring out what the hell to do. It's fun!

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

TeeQueue posted:

At least it’s given me some inspiration for some stuff in the project I’m currently working on, though that’s an original canon and thus beyond the scope of this thread.

Yeah, I definitely used to LoR idea to exaplain some character development on top of using it for some part of BuffNemo

darkfenrir
Sep 29, 2021
I'm not in the salt the earth level, but unless they show something (instead of... Ignoring everything) that shows what they have learned and steps to rectify things... I can't support them in good faith anymore 😬😬

They didn't even try to translate their announcement in english!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

darkfenrir posted:

I'm not in the salt the earth level, but unless they show something (instead of... Ignoring everything) that shows what they have learned and steps to rectify things... I can't support them in good faith anymore 😬😬

They didn't even try to translate their announcement in english!
Yeah, this is fair. Even aside from the illustrator thing - which is pretty drat bad! - the reports of how bad the crunch is at PM is really upsetting. I get a lot of game studios are like that... but it still doesn't encourage me to spend money on games I know people weren't given adequate time to work on. Like... it's bad for workers and it makes for shoddier games, I want to pay for quality, not crunch.

Not really the greatest timing for me to have gotten into Limbus Company and spent a bit of money on the new manager pack, if nothing changes I'm probably not going to spend any more money on it even if the story and characters are interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah I'm personally in the wait and see camp atm. Pmoon made a really poo poo decision in a hurry, and there's time to let the dust settle and make amends. If they double down on being lovely or pandering to the same poo poo crowd that started this, or just try to pretend it never happened and do nothing, then I'll walk away and move on to less hypocritically poo poo developers.