Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it possible for the artist to sue for being fired under false pretenses?

Such a lovely situation all around :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it possible for the artist to sue for being fired under false pretenses?

Such a lovely situation all around :(

korean labor organizations already seem to be expressing opinions on this matter

and yes i'm mostly just sad

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I really hope the artist is okay, like, physically and mentally and financially.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Google Jeb Bush posted:

korean labor organizations already seem to be expressing opinions on this matter

and yes i'm mostly just sad

isn't it just one group? and we don't know if they're a big deal

but i hope you're right and there's meaningful support

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RottenK posted:

isn't it just one group? and we don't know if they're a big deal

but i hope you're right and there's meaningful support

it's fairly likely the other things i read were iffy translations, so don't rely on me; it's hard enough reliably translating even modern German despite it reading like "ich habe Concernen dass Herr Blum hat eine Fraud kommitten"

jumpwjoy
Jan 23, 2022
For anyone who’s planning to play the event soon, keep in mind they probably have a tracker for active users logging in so it could be something to not open Limbus at the moment. Not saying to drop the game forever or anything and I don’t actually know if it would be meaningful or not, but I’ve seen some Korean tweets talking about not logging in for now…orz

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Onehandclapping posted:

Yeah I'm personally in the wait and see camp atm. Pmoon made a really poo poo decision in a hurry, and there's time to let the dust settle and make amends. If they double down on being lovely or pandering to the same poo poo crowd that started this, or just try to pretend it never happened and do nothing, then I'll walk away[.]

This sounds like my opinion at the moment as well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I got this from a friend in the Project Moon wiki discord we've got:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was on the fence before but I didn't get anything with the lunacy they gave out and they didn't give me nearly enough so frankly game is bad again.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I got Wetshmael and SodaLu (plus Zwei? Rodya, which I did not have) in a single pull, which was nice, but not going to move me out of the 'wait and see' camp for what I do in the long run. About time I had a great pull, they've been pretty bad so far in s2.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was on the fence before but I didn't get anything with the lunacy they gave out and they didn't give me nearly enough so frankly game is bad again.

as it happens i got wetsuit ishmael

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I'm going to wait a week or two before playing the game again to see how I feel and how this pans out.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
I like the change to the brightness(saturation? i'm stupid and don't know anything about art) of the skill icons. Disappointed at the change to the sanity display but it makes sense to make it more readable for the mobile players.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, we theorized that Ahab and the whale might have been combined story-wise for Ishmael, but given her statements they might also have like, literally fused?????

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
got ishmael on a single ticket and steam users are approaching an all time high. who can they fire next?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah the story for Ishmael 3... certainly isn't not horny.

edit: The quote leading into it is great

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 27, 2023

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

MotU posted:

who can they fire next?

whoever works at hamhampangpang since like 85% of the clientele were women :rip:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Got jack all in the 20 pulls I did with my free lunacy but otoh i'm not all that interested in the event IDs/EGOs anyway so :shrug: e: That is a ludicrous amount of Sinking that Boat Ish throws out though, way more than Sunshower Heathcliff with no downside whatsoever. I'm going to have to end up sparking her aren't I :negative:

Cinq Don did show up in a daily(i still have some paid lunacy left from the Before Times) for some reason so that's something I guess

e: also we have immediate confirmation that the next Canto will be Ishmael's.

e2: the crabs are weak to Pierce and resist Slash because Slash cannot catch a break this season

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 27, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's a shame about *gestures at everything* because this event is delightful story-wise

Yi Sang does a social interaction, Don's english and Fixer-sniffing, Faust getting passive-aggresive about people explaining things before she can, Molar Office reuiniting and changing career trajectories based solely on Olga waking up in a swamp and loving up some crabs. It's all Very Good

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 27, 2023

darkfenrir
Sep 29, 2021

Yinlock posted:

it's a shame about *gestures at everything* because this event is delightful story-wise

gods, so true. I was so excited over the event man :( my friend said the story is really good too so it's another oof, really.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

darkfenrir posted:

gods, so true. I was so excited over the event man :( my friend said the story is really good too so it's another oof, really.

it is like absurdly good, top 10 video game tragedies

more Beach Details: there's a neat dividing line between the Nest and Backstreets part of the beach, the Backstreets part is naturally a swampy, crab-infested hellhole while the Nest part is all pristine beachfront. The dividing line is of course a deadly plasma forcefield that makes sure to leave a corpse so the nest residents can enjoy watching the poors die from daring to get too close to their betters

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 27, 2023

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
If the mad crowds keep causing trouble, then I will start hoping for someone to have a 'meeting' with them to make them more reasonable, Red Gaze style.

I just want to enjoy the sights and plot :(

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Figure I'll post spoilers, cause you can spoil yourself on the story and not play the event!

4.5 starts off pointing out its Ishamel's chapter.
Huh, they specifically mention the Library and getting booked / unbooked in this chapter.
Vergilus and Faust goals seems to be about getting unbooked and figuring out a pattern to it.
Molar office is back. Olga drunkenly beat up a trash crab and ate it, and then found Rain and Mika
Ishamel and Heathcliff fight, as Ishamel is being super depressed and worried about the whale/the great lake. Continues to think the team isn't ready/is lame
All the foreshadowing of the great lake, the effort put into getting scrap and then the busboat immediately sinking is *chiefs kiss*

It's more Limbus Company writing, meaning it manages to tread between humor and depressive themes quite well.

Mechanic wise its still seems to be a grind? You need 4000 scrap, and by the time I finished the story (Having to do several chapters) I only had 600 scrap.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

This is what we're not going to get anymore. This really sucks.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
The cgs were really good, this day was a painful reminder…

Anyways it’s still a grind but it’s of a single map and not a wholeass dungeon, with 4k max requirement and 40 base drop for 1 module, which is a lot less horrible timesink than before.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

TeeQueue posted:

Anyways it’s still a grind but it’s of a single map and not a wholeass dungeon, with 4k max requirement and 40 base drop for 1 module, which is a lot less horrible timesink than before.

I will also note I got 3 of the Rare Horseshoe "+20 bonus" items just doing the single clear run of the story, and then another during my single repeat of the boss grind stage. Those make a BIG dent in it.

Got the EGO in one shot, Fishmael ID in the next 10-extract after (and a dupe W Don). I immediately put her to 35/IV and she's an absolute goddamn truck. I love her, it's the Second Coming of Spicebush, her third skill is completely absurd, none of her skills are bad, she slays and slaps especially in this content. Boatworks Sinclair is also doing a surprisingly good showing at just 30/III, with his first skill having a wild FOUR hits, giving it shockingly good damage output he can often leverage because he's Kinda Slow so he can one-side it a lot.

Event story was excellent, we'd drat well better still be getting a satisfying Canto V after everything because this was too much good setup to waste.

About the real life events of the past 72 hours posted:

It's pretty ridiculous how much poo poo everyone involved has had to go through because of a micro-group of insane nationalist inecls starting poo poo over a premise they completely manufactured. My condolences go out to both the impacted artist and, frankly, the rest of ProjMoon as well. There was not a good answer to this situation especially under the current circumstances: Between recent bomb threats and actual bombs at other major games' events and conventions, a knife attack on studio workers for another company in the space, an ignorant / actively supportive-of-the-wrong-side police force, all topped off by the generally bleak sociopolitical climate of South Korea (especially where it regards companies whose apps and phone software get regularly review-bombed)? This was just a rock and a hard place situation with no correct fix: I think they decision they went with was a snap judgement, and a bad one, but the alternatives seem either equally-bad, worse, or totally infeasible. I hope there's a road forward where ideally (in the optimistic current-Yi-Sang sense of 'ideal') amends can be made, new contracts established, and that the idiots responsible for the furor get brought to some actual justice in a real court. Failing that it would be a loss for the world to lose this studio and their work at all, much less to such meaningless poo poo, and the artist in question doesn't deserve even a fraction of the flack they got before or after.

My biggest pain and sympathy goes out to the community though: I know too many good fandoms, groups, communities and the like that have gotten hit with stupid poo poo like this and the public perception never quite recovered. Ideally speaking there's a route out of this where people pull their heads out of their asses and actually show meaningful support instead of gloating about how cool and pure they are for loving off at the first sign of impropriety but honestly my hopes are not high.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think bowing out after a gacha company fires a lady for thinking women shouldnt be filmed pissing in public bathrooms is 'bragging about how good and cool you are'

like i agree that theres a lot of extenuating circumstances but come on

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Endorph posted:

i dont think bowing out after a gacha company fires a lady for thinking women shouldnt be filmed pissing in public bathrooms is 'bragging about how good and cool you are'

like i agree that theres a lot of extenuating circumstances but come on

It's a pretty low bar so if you think it's bragging you might want to reevaluate some things

If you should support anyone it should be the artist IMHO

Edit: you being the guy above not endorph

Valleyant fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 27, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

There's also a weird chance of getting way more, in one repeat I did my scrap reward amount glowed briefly and changed from 10 to like 50

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
yeah, they mentioned that in the event summary. there's horseshoes that become 20 of the scrap if they drop. they glow, it's neat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my stance is ultimately that i play other stuff that either has folded to dumb poo poo or would probably. like i doubt the developers of Genshin Impact are going to take a bold stand for feminism. i dont really feel a moral imperative to stop playing.

its just lame cause as a small indie company that explored heavier topics you got the vibe that maybe this stuff meant something, but its basically the same as anything else, the people writing and doing the work are cool and might have something to say but the product and company itself are just a gacha game company. i dont think you should assign that much meaning to companies but like i said, as a smaller one that was pushing some boundaries its hard to blame people for it. As something small and driven by fan passion, the whole situation is toxic to that passion. Once that passion is gone, people will lose interest, even if there's people doing the majority of the work on the game that aren't to blame.

Hopefully they can come out with some kind of statement that improves the situation. It's notable that they didn't even tweet about the event starting, so at least they aren't that careless.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
their twitter hasn't been able to shut up for ten minutes in a row since limbus company launched, so i'm hopeful they're actually going over things internally before announcing their next steps. as bad as this is, it would genuinely be a thousand times worse if everybody involved were airing their dirty laundry online the entire time

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, this is fair. Even aside from the illustrator thing - which is pretty drat bad! - the reports of how bad the crunch is at PM is really upsetting. I get a lot of game studios are like that... but it still doesn't encourage me to spend money on games I know people weren't given adequate time to work on. Like... it's bad for workers and it makes for shoddier games, I want to pay for quality, not crunch.

Not really the greatest timing for me to have gotten into Limbus Company and spent a bit of money on the new manager pack, if nothing changes I'm probably not going to spend any more money on it even if the story and characters are interesting to me.

Ah drat, they do crunch now? Has that always been the case? That was one of the reasons I was a fan... I thought that with the story they were telling, they wouldn't be that way. I guess maybe it was all just a cash grab by Limbus time. Especially with folding like this to the incel whales, ugh. This is what I get for thinking positively of people.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oobitydoo posted:

Ah drat, they do crunch now? Has that always been the case? That was one of the reasons I was a fan... I thought that with the story they were telling, they wouldn't be that way. I guess maybe it was all just a cash grab by Limbus time. Especially with folding like this to the incel whales, ugh. This is what I get for thinking positively of people.

tbf this isn't really a cash grab profit motive, just cowardice

like incels aren't even remotely one of their biggest demographics

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They did outright say they made a Gacha to make a whole lot of money to support development of other games early on. But also the crunch is probably related to the delays they keep having to make with release dates. They're underestimating the work they need to get stuff done and then when they miss the initial deadline metrics move it and crunch to keep the new one. Rather than just properly time the release dates based on reasonable work hours and speed.

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

Yinlock posted:

tbf this isn't really a cash grab profit motive, just cowardice

like incels aren't even remotely one of their biggest demographics

Maybe one of them got a really specific blackmail threat or something? I don't know, it just screams of a brand new level of hypocricy to write the Mooniverse and then do poo poo like this that gets labor unions rightfully pissed at you. I'm just getting angrier the more I think about it. :(

Edit:

Lord_Magmar posted:

They did outright say they made a Gacha to make a whole lot of money to support development of other games early on. But also the crunch is probably related to the delays they keep having to make with release dates. They're underestimating the work they need to get stuff done and then when they miss the initial deadline metrics move it and crunch to keep the new one. Rather than just properly time the release dates based on reasonable work hours and speed.
loving... yep, that is in fact how crunch is ALWAYS justified. Push back your loving release dates then or don't pretend to be a moral company.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

oobitydoo posted:

There may be other examples, but Leviathan's artist talked about how he crunched like hell to get art done on time only to be told the next day that they're moving to text-only and it wasn't necessary. Also, I think I heard some general complaints about keeping up with Limbus' release schedule? Either way, it sounds less like they're going for a cash grab and more that Project Moon is just a bunch of nerds who made a company to get their creative works out there that never learned how to actually be good at managing a business.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oobitydoo posted:

with as small a company as they are and with the amount of content they produce, crunch was always going to happen. look at how fly by night ruina's dev cycle was, that many development dead ends and reworks doesn't come from something that's being made slowly and confidently, it comes from stuff being rammed in at a frantic pace. That said as stated above it sounds less like capitalistic malpracitce and more excitable devnerd culture. Of course, when you transition to being a full time company and start running a live service game, it becomes less charming and more worrying.

And yeah, they're definitely losing money on this, not gaining. Like 85% of the restaurant's customers were women.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

oobitydoo posted:

Maybe one of them got a really specific blackmail threat or something? I don't know, it just screams of a brand new level of hypocricy to write the Mooniverse and then do poo poo like this that gets labor unions rightfully pissed at you. I'm just getting angrier the more I think about it. :(

They did have people directly break in and act threatening at their office building. But also some sources are saying the people doing so would never have followed up on any threats of violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

They did have people directly break in and act threatening at their office building. But also some sources are saying the people doing so would never have followed up on any threats of violence.
even if the people who actually did it might not have (which there's no evidence of), all it takes is one guy catching wind of the drama and having the wrong neurons misfire for a couple of hours.