Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's even plausible that the flash forward Sheridan gets might not end up happening. Sheridan himself sure seems to think so, although his reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Which I guess is always the least satisfying answer for foreshadowing, but it's always possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's even plausible that the flash forward Sheridan gets might not end up happening. Sheridan himself sure seems to think so, although his reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Which I guess is always the least satisfying answer for foreshadowing, but it's always possible.

I think it's pretty clear it happened, given the state of the various other parties circa Sleeping in Light, and the snippets of history we get from Deconstruction.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, I always hated his reasoning because it's so rear end-backwards.

"In the future I saw, you told me not to go, so I figured that future must be from me not going since I agreed then not to go, so I'll go now to avoid it!"

Uhh...ok? That future can't be from the one where you decided NOT to go to Za'Ha'Dum if Delenn is there, ASKING you not to go!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SlothfulCobra posted:

I believe B5 is very much a predestination variation of time travel, i.e. you do what you always did because you already did it because otherwise you couldn't have gone back to do it. That includes forwards as well as backwards.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How many doctors were there at any one time on Babylon 5? I was just thinking how Dr. Franklin being the only? doctor to care for 250,000 people had to have been brutal as gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I said come in! posted:

How many doctors were there at any one time on Babylon 5? I was just thinking how Dr. Franklin being the only? doctor to care for 250,000 people had to have been brutal as gently caress.

They never gave a number but Franklin was just the chief of the department and head of Medlab 1. There were at least five Medlabs and staffs for them, lots of doctors and nurses and such.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He wasn't the only doctor, he was just the chief medical officer so while there would have been enough staff, if there was a medical plot he'd be the one they took it to.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The whole stims plot was because Franklin didn’t trust any of the other doctors to do it right and had to work everything himself. He had to have stims to do so, so in his mind it was justified. He had important work to do after all.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, I always hated his reasoning because it's so rear end-backwards.

"In the future I saw, you told me not to go, so I figured that future must be from me not going since I agreed then not to go, so I'll go now to avoid it!"

Uhh...ok? That future can't be from the one where you decided NOT to go to Za'Ha'Dum if Delenn is there, ASKING you not to go!

While that’s what he says, it’s clear his real reasoning had to do with whether he could trust future Delenn or not. And it’s clear that he decides that he can’t. She was advising him not to do something and he decides she was misleading him and he should do it.

There’s a real irony here, because of course, future Delenn remembers that John told her about the future meeting, and she unquestionably remembers that part of why he goes to Z’ha’dum is that she told him not to. You can see her hesitate before telling him that: surely she’s thinking that if she omits that advice or changes it, she could change the past. But she decides not to. She can’t risk their past victory in the name of possibly preserving John’s life, and she knows that if he were given the choice, he would sacrifice himself even as he did. So she accepts the past and tells John what future John would want past John to hear from her.

TK-42-1 posted:

The whole stims plot was because Franklin didn’t trust any of the other doctors to do it right and had to work everything himself. He had to have stims to do so, so in his mind it was justified. He had important work to do after all.

That arrogance is played so well by Richard Biggs, across all 5 seasons but modulated after his stims plot. He never quite loses it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polaron posted:

I believe B5 is very much a predestination variation of time travel, i.e. you do what you always did because you already did it because otherwise you couldn't have gone back to do it. That includes forwards as well as backwards.

The timeline isn't entirely immutable though, because there's flashes of the alternate timeline that would have happened had they failed to send Babylon 4 and Sinclair back a thousand years (the scenes where B5 is being invaded/attacked by Shadows and Garibaldi is going all Aliens on them and Ivonava is desperately calling for assistance).

E: that isn't speculation, it's straight from JMS:

"The Lurkers' Guide posted:

There are no alternate univeses, only alternate or possible futures. If they didn't go back, the future in which Sinclair is there [on Babylon 5] with Garibaldi -- having come back to see through the final battle -- and in which Sheridan is killed, and Ivanova is calling for help...that future will come true.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 27, 2023

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Narsham posted:

That arrogance is played so well by Richard Biggs, across all 5 seasons but modulated after his stims plot. He never quite loses it.

i love the bit where he's deep into the stims and he flips out "I SAID FOURTEEN PSI! FOURTEEN! FOURTEEN!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Horizon Burning posted:

i love the bit where he's deep into the stims and he flips out "I SAID FOURTEEN PSI! FOURTEEN! FOURTEEN!"

Especially since we know full well that a minute before he'd said something else. And Dr Hobbs calls him out on it.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Narsham posted:

Counting only the main cast, of those appearing in SiL, only Bruce Boxleitner and Claudia Christian are still alive: the man playing the character who dies, and the woman playing the character who starts a new life.

Claudia Christian has a scene with Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, Richard Biggs, Stephen Furst and Jeff Conaway. It's near the end at the decommissioning ceremony.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Jedit posted:

Especially since we know full well that a minute before he'd said something else. And Dr Hobbs calls him out on it.

yeah it's so loving good haha

whether drugs or alcohol, i do really appreciate how b5 handled those subplots

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

kilus aof posted:

Claudia Christian has a scene with Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, Richard Biggs, Stephen Furst and Jeff Conaway. It's near the end at the decommissioning ceremony.

Yes. She’s the woman playing a character who starts a new life.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Narsham posted:

One of my favorite details is something I only picked up on after learning the fact that Biggs was hearing impaired:

What he tried to do was practice and rehearse scenes with whoever he was going to be working with, so that he'd get the timing right and it could flow naturally (since Franklin's hearing was fine). Tallman did this, so when Stephen and Lyta are talking it's not noticeable.

Others, notably (when I learned what to look for) Doyle, didn't and so Biggs would have to watch them to see when they had finished talking. Which means that you see Franklin give Garibaldi this annoyed look of "are you done yet?" after every line of dialogue. He comes off like he's self-centered jerk who cares only about what he has to say, not what anyone else is trying to tell him.

It comes from what the actor had to deal with, but it works wonderfully for the character.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vavrek posted:

One of my favorite details is something I only picked up on after learning the fact that Biggs was hearing impaired:

It comes from what the actor had to deal with, but it works wonderfully for the character.

I'm going to have to remember that for my next rewatch.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
At a couple points you can see him mouth the other actor's lines along with them to keep the timing right. It's not uncommon for actors to do that anyway but it's something you see especially with actors who are deaf or hard of hearing and it sometimes slips in to the final cut.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
You know, I always hated Delenn's whole "When Minbari become close as we have become close" routine. Why is it only HER traditions? What about the human tradition of NOT loving while your girlfriend's assistant listens at the door?

Edit: And to think about it...Delenn is half human (technically more when you realize nearly all Minbari have traces of Valen/Sinclair in them, her even moreso) so, like...it's over 3/4 human to less then 1/4 Minbari so REALLY do her stupid loving "Give some flarn to Valen!" traditions even matter at all?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 28, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

She's from the third of Minbari who literally call themselves the loonie fundie third, sorry, "religious caste", what did you expect but a lot of tedious and pointless rituals?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YULytWUaKR0&t=14s

Substitute 'Russians' with 'Minbari'.

I hadn't even noticed Biggs' mannerisms when he was waiting for other actors to finish. When I rewatch I'll have to look out for that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

You know, I always hated Delenn's whole "When Minbari become close as we have become close" routine. Why is it only HER traditions? What about the human tradition of NOT loving while your girlfriend's assistant listens at the door?

Edit: And to think about it...Delenn is half human (technically more when you realize nearly all Minbari have traces of Valen/Sinclair in them, her even moreso) so, like...it's over 3/4 human to less then 1/4 Minbari so REALLY do her stupid loving "Give some flarn to Valen!" traditions even matter at all?

Delenn, as high priest of her race, is a bit more married to her own race's culture and practices than Sheridan is to his. He went out into space to find strange new cultures, Delenn just felt compelled by the forces of prophecy and obligation to her mentor (who himself was much more unorthodox and curious about the galaxy, but failed to really pass all that on to her).

So when you have a relationship like that, it's very easy for the outgoing and open person to just kinda get steamrolled by the other.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also her body changed, but not her culture.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Also "Woo...hoo?" is funny

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

Also "Woo...hoo?" is funny

Eh.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Poor Lennier, totally innocent to humanity in the bedroom.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

They did a human ritual - a date, the dinner date he asked her to when she wore that stunning dress.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Didn't Sheridan also give Delenn an engagement ring?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Didn't Sheridan also give Delenn an engagement ring?

Yes. It isn't that they only did Minbari traditions. They're just more noticeable, because Minbari - particularly the religious caste - are more into formal rituals than humans are and those rituals are unusual by our standards. For all we know Delenn is sending letters home to her cousin saying "Yeah, it's going great, going round next week to watch him sleep for the second time. And he did that weird-but-cute thing that humans do again where they take you to a nice restaurant and insist on paying for everything."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hey, related to recent discussion. I think this is the first time I've seen JMS explain part of Lady Morella's prophecy.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1685108066759643136

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Morden, negotiating with the Shadows, for the Centauri...? Someone who's watched B5 more times than I have please splain to me how that one works.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Shadows were already gone by then but maybe Morden could have kept the Drakh off their backs?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Once the Shadows and Vorlons are gone, mr. Morden kills Lyta somehow, and Z'ha'dum doesn't blow up quite so soon?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Morden would be left behind like all the Shadow allies. What else has he going for him other than being sci-fi's greatest middleman?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Morden would be left behind like all the Shadow allies. What else has he going for him other than being sci-fi's greatest middleman?

That would likely mean he knows a lot of vulnerabilities of the other Shadow remnants.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That would make him more of a target than a good go-between. :thunk:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Yes, the galaxy burned, but on the other hand we got Vir’s 👋 scene so it was a net positive.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey, related to recent discussion. I think this is the first time I've seen JMS explain part of Lady Morella's prophecy.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yes, the galaxy burned, but on the other hand we got Vir’s 👋 scene so it was a net positive.

This is really interesting because the wave is Vir's answer to Morden's "What do you want?" So Vir also surrendered to his rage and need for revenge, thus damning Centauri Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_5aBnMHwA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Polaron posted:

Did we ever get an explanation as to why Delenn was in the spacesuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

I sorta get where he's coming from in the sense that Morden being executed led directly to the Drakh occupying Centauri Prime, but...leaving Lady Morella's prophecies up to the interpretation of the viewer is much more interesting.

e: I'm reading this thread from the beginning and someone posted the 'space battle' scene from Legend of the Rangers. :laffo:. I'd love to see a Rifftrax treatment of that.

I'll also admit that I largely missed the fact that JMS was telegraphing Vorlons to be sinister, though new-Kosh's encounter suit having horns was as subtle as a brick through a window. Even I picked up on that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 29, 2023