Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel bad for saying good riddance, I like Colorado and their fans are nice when they visit. They were never actually treated that well by the Pac-12 brass and it's no surprise they are leaving.

kayakyakr posted:

Arizona's president seems to be very determined to go down with the ship, so to speak, and not make a move until forced to.

It makes a lot of sense, Arizona is a really important part of what's left of the Pac, way more important than they'd be in any other conference.

a neat cape posted:

hey big 12 we're good at basketball please notice us

At the very least it would probably be easier to get Arizona and ASU if the Big 12 had a Southern California school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Oregon and Washington are rumored to have been told in no uncertain terms that the big ten is full, there is no spot for them.

Oregon is reportedly antsy and the extension for their coach may be related. Washington has a budgetary problem.

Arizona's president seems to be very determined to go down with the ship, so to speak, and not make a move until forced to.

From Brett McMurphy’s reporting:

quote:

The Ducks and Huskies already have been “vetted and approved” by the Big Ten to join the conference, sources said. However, the Big Ten does not want “the Pac-12’s blood on its hands,” by taking Oregon and Washington before any other schools leave the Pac-12, sources said.

With Colorado’s pending departure, the question arises: Would the Big Ten consider adding the Ducks and Huskies?

I can see Stanford and ND also joining if Cal is too aloof or bad at football. Utah and the Arizonas to the Big 12 makes sense. Think it could be Cal, Oregon State and Wazzu left holding the bag.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

dirty shrimp money posted:

Is that going to be healthy for the Big 12 to have two schools that aren’t ever going to stop throwing panties at the Big 10? At least, more publicly than the rest of the conference is throwing panties at the SEC?

I don’t feel like there’s anyone in the Big 12 who would even have pretensions of being an SEC candidate

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

McMurphy’s whole premise that the Big Ten has its finger on the button ready to add Oregon and Washington but is also happy to let them twist in the wind for an indeterminate number of years for ~reasons~ has always seemed really dubious to me, unless it’s some weird situation where they won’t have the votes until USC and UCLA join.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Does Deion still have both of his feet or whatever?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

With all this seeming opportunity for westward growth, I wonder if a lot of the Big 12 kind of wishes they hadn’t made those additions to the East (Cincy, UCF, even WVU). The further west the center of gravity moves, the more awkward things become between those three and everyone else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

With all this seeming opportunity for westward growth, I wonder if a lot of the Big 12 kind of wishes they hadn’t made those additions to the East (Cincy, UCF, even WVU). The further west the center of gravity moves, the more awkward things become between those three and everyone else.

Yormark has repeatedly threatened to and apparently is trying to make a nationwide conference.

Whether this is wise or not we'll find out. I mean UConn is on the table somehow if they can't lure Pac 12 teams other than Colorado. Gonzaga rumors still out there. The man does not believe travel matters. Also he's dreaming of putting together the best basketball conference obviously given those last two.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

McMurphy’s whole premise that the Big Ten has its finger on the button ready to add Oregon and Washington but is also happy to let them twist in the wind for an indeterminate number of years for ~reasons~ has always seemed really dubious to me, unless it’s some weird situation where they won’t have the votes until USC and UCLA join.

I could see some schools being a little uneasy and wanting to see how the travel and stuff goes for a year or two before committing to more teams out west.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Rick posted:

Good riddance.

ZESTY :discourse:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

General Dog posted:

I don’t feel like there’s anyone in the Big 12 who would even have pretensions of being an SEC candidate

I mean the fundamental problem for me with all this discourse is that that these alleged super conferences still mediocre overall, except the difference is the games will no longer be places I can affordably travel to and even more likely to be in a time zone that I cannot comfortably watch them. And not to mention that the football culture is definitely different.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rick posted:

I mean the fundamental problem for me with all this discourse is that that these alleged super conferences still mediocre overall, except the difference is the games will no longer be places I can affordably travel to and even more likely to be in a time zone that I cannot comfortably watch them. And not to mention that the football culture is definitely different.

Big ten and sec won't be in a league of their own until they get rid of some teams that are weighing the conferences down. Until then, even the new big xii is comparable

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized Week Zero is now only a month away.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

harperdc posted:

From Brett McMurphy’s reporting:

I can see Stanford and ND also joining if Cal is too aloof or bad at football. Utah and the Arizonas to the Big 12 makes sense. Think it could be Cal, Oregon State and Wazzu left holding the bag.

Feels like the MWC would be right there to absorb the remnants of the Pac 12

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Big ten and sec won't be in a league of their own until they get rid of some teams that are weighing the conferences down. Until then, even the new big xii is comparable

There could still be some fundamental change at the end of the road that results in the dissolution of the SEC and Big Ten and the consolidation of the best of the best (this is much more likely than those leagues ever actually expelling members), but in the meantime I think they’re still in a league of their own if they’re consistently combining for 6-8 bids in a 12-team playoff, Vanderbilt and Rutgers be damned.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

General Dog posted:

I don't know, I think it makes sense in that UO and UW have very little leverage if the Pac starts going (further) down in flames and the B1G can offer a much smaller share as a result. Then again I really thought the B1G would want to try to add two more teams with USC and UCLA to cut down on the travel for the rest of the league.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

There could still be some fundamental change at the end of the road that results in the dissolution of the SEC and Big Ten and the consolidation of the best of the best (this is much more likely than those leagues ever actually expelling members), but in the meantime I think they’re still in a league of their own if they’re consistently combining for 6-8 bids in a 12-team playoff, Vanderbilt and Rutgers be damned.

I mean, it brings the level of competition down. Yes they have the four best teams, but the next 4 will come from the acc and big xii

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

I think in football the SEC has pretty clearly separated themselves. There's more parity between the P5 in basketball, but also the distinction is a bit more silly there since there are so many good schools from outside of the P5 too.

Arizona State a while ago were talking about wanting to go independent if the Pac 12 dies and I wonder what that looks like.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Let’s introduce some kind of weird pro/rel regional system like the foreigners do with semipro soccer. Keeps regional rivalries alive while ensuring that the elite teams play elite competition.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't see the Big Ten expanding if Notre Dame isn't involved.

Though I do think they'd be fools to let Oregon and Washington slip into the Big 12

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Komet posted:

Though I do think they'd be fools to let Oregon and Washington slip into the Big 12

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Notre Dame to the Big Ten.

What of those entities says no to that deal. (I also forget if the ACC is still in play for ND, but that can be overcome with money)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Yormark has repeatedly threatened to and apparently is trying to make a nationwide conference.

Whether this is wise or not we'll find out. I mean UConn is on the table somehow if they can't lure Pac 12 teams other than Colorado. Gonzaga rumors still out there. The man does not believe travel matters. Also he's dreaming of putting together the best basketball conference obviously given those last two.

If the Big 12 explodes and we get one more mystery straggler, I could see an east and west division appearing pretty organically:

East:
Cincy
WVU
UCF
Houston
Kansas
OK State
Baylor

West:
TCU
Colorado
Texas Tech
BYU
KState
Iowa State
**Pac12 Mystery Box**

2 Texas teams in each division, sets up some natural cross division rivals. The rumored Pac defector being Oregon would probably strain geographic integrity a bit but otherwise this really isn't excessive.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Bring me Utah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Metapod posted:

Bring me Utah

You have Utah at home.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Whoa hey leave Vandy alone they bring the GPA up

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

Bring me Utah

You'll get BYU and like it!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

You'll get BYU and like it!

That’s their Utah at home!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

harperdc posted:

That’s their Utah at home!

:doh:

My excuse is it's early in the morning.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

Invite all of Notre Dame's rivals, then refuse to allow any Big Ten team to play Notre Dame.

Checkmate

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

harperdc posted:

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Notre Dame to the Big Ten.

What of those entities says no to that deal. (I also forget if the ACC is still in play for ND, but that can be overcome with money)

Notre Dame says no

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Notre Dame will say no on the principle of being independent. If money mattered, they would have joined the Big Ten years ago. Jim Delaney invited Maryland to the Big Ten a decade ago because he thought it would ultimately collapse the ACC and force ND into the Big Ten. It failed.

Stanford certainly brings a lot of academic prestige and high levels of competitiveness in Olympic sports, but the Big Ten won't invite them if it's not part of a package deal with ND.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dphi posted:

I don't know, I think it makes sense in that UO and UW have very little leverage if the Pac starts going (further) down in flames and the B1G can offer a much smaller share as a result. Then again I really thought the B1G would want to try to add two more teams with USC and UCLA to cut down on the travel for the rest of the league.

Seems like bringing in teams with a smaller revenue share would be opening a can of worms for a conference that has had even sharing up until now. There are six or so teams who I imagine would have good reason to think they’d be asked to take a haircut pretty soon.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

Seems like bringing in teams with a smaller revenue share would be opening a can of worms for a conference that has had even sharing up until now. There are six or so teams who I imagine would have good reason to think they’d be asked to take a haircut pretty soon.

Other than OSU/Michigan/Penn State and maybe MSU, I can't see anyone else wanting to open up that can of worms.

Like you said, the bottom dwellers like Northwestern are obvious hard nos, but even the midrange teams like Nebraska are going to have a tough time braking the seal of unequal payments. I think it's a short jump from making small teams get less to the big teams saying they want a bonus for bringing in the big bucks once it's established that all teams aren't equal.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Seems like Big Ideas ManTM Brett Yormark's Big Ideas are paying off for the Big 12

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah hats off, he and McMurphy really did kind of incept this CU thing into happening.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
The Big XII though still just seems so underwhelming. What’s the marquee matchup for the conference?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adun posted:

The Big XII though still just seems so underwhelming. What’s the marquee matchup for the conference?

Who cares? It's more entertaining football even if there isn't one obviously dominant 2-4 teams.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Adun posted:

Every game Deion coaches is going to be the marquee game for the Big 12, for better or worse. Outside that, Oklahoma State-Kansas State?

Men’s basketball is gonna be lit tho

Also,

Wrar posted:

Who cares? It's more entertaining football even if there isn't one obviously dominant 2-4 teams.

Yeah, a lot of parity in the conference will be fun to watch.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 27, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Adun posted:

It's like a fun G5 conference on steroids; and I say that as a compliment.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pseudodragon posted:

Other than OSU/Michigan/Penn State and maybe MSU, I can't see anyone else wanting to open up that can of worms.

Wisconsin and Iowa are bigger names, in terms of their general revenue outside of the TV deals, than one might suspect. You could probably get half of the conference on board with it.

Say what you will about tradition and whatnot but I can't really see the top half being that cutthroat. I'm pretty sure that the Big Ten is the only conference no one has left to join another conference, been discreetly shown the door, or outright kicked out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

or outright kicked out of.

Let’s change this starting with Rutgers.