Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Handles Are Dumb posted:

So I've browsed the last few pages of this thread and read the thread title, and it seems like general consensus is the pi doesn't have very good value right now?

I really want to set up a pihole or equivalent on my home network. What do you suggest as the most cost-effective ± simple way to get this done?
I do not want to leave my PC on 24/7 so a virtual machine won't work.

Am I in the wrong thread?

It's 2023, you have tons of computers in your house already that are on 24/7. Some of them, like your router or your NAS can run DNS black holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had a pihole but ended up going to nextdns just to free up the pi for homelab fiddling and it is less likely nextdns will go down than a pi running a vital service for my network. It did lock up once and caused some headaches, albeit fairly minor.

Also I like how nextdns works on your phone or other mobile devices even if you’re not on your home network.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I already run pfsense and a few other VMs on a Lenovo tiny m93p, firing up an LXC with pi hole took all of five minutes...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Handles Are Dumb posted:

So I've browsed the last few pages of this thread and read the thread title, and it seems like general consensus is the pi doesn't have very good value right now?

I really want to set up a pihole or equivalent on my home network. What do you suggest as the most cost-effective ± simple way to get this done?
I do not want to leave my PC on 24/7 so a virtual machine won't work.

Pis still have good value if you can get one for MSRP prices. Like, as I just mentioned a zero 2 W can do the Pihole thing just fine as is $15. The problem is, you can't get them for that. The problem is, you can't get them for MSRP without a lot of hassle. The Pi shortage never ended.

If you have no tech skills, use NextDNS like everyone else said.

If you do have tech skills, or want a project to learn them, there are a zillion not-Pis available for reasonable prices. The libre le potato is $30 and pretty much the same as a 3B+. But the problem with a not-Pi is you don't have the OS support of Raspberry. And all the turn-key projects like pihole make images for the Pi. So you'll need to learn to install and configure linux to make it work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Pis still have good value if you can get one for MSRP prices. Like, as I just mentioned a zero 2 W can do the Pihole thing just fine as is $15. The problem is, you can't get them for that. The problem is, you can't get them for MSRP without a lot of hassle. The Pi shortage never ended.

If you have no tech skills, use NextDNS like everyone else said.

If you do have tech skills, or want a project to learn them, there are a zillion not-Pis available for reasonable prices. The libre le potato is $30 and pretty much the same as a 3B+. But the problem with a not-Pi is you don't have the OS support of Raspberry. And all the turn-key projects like pihole make images for the Pi. So you'll need to learn to install and configure linux to make it work.

Fwiw I went with the le potato for a camera project and their armbian image worked great, but I am comfortable working with the command line and have all the tools I need at this point. I wouldn’t give the le potato to someone unless they were in direct contact with someone who could help them through some of the little issues they’ll encounter.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Klyith posted:

It's not very fast, but several places have the first Pi Zero W in stock for $15, and it'll still do fine for Pi hole.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

At time of writing rpilocator.com says there are pi zeros and pi 4 8gb, assuming USA and too many to list for the UK
Over the last week there been every version of the 4 and even some CM4s. Zero 2s as well.
Unless you need a specific model right now then they are much much easier to get at rrp from official sellers.
The drought isn't over, but it has definitely started

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Inept posted:

It's not very fast, but several places have the first Pi Zero W in stock for $15, and it'll still do fine for Pi hole.

MSRP for the old 0W is $10, I got one for 10€ before the pandemic. And 0s for 5€.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Adolf Glitter posted:

At time of writing rpilocator.com says there are pi zeros and pi 4 8gb, assuming USA and too many to list for the UK
Over the last week there been every version of the 4 and even some CM4s. Zero 2s as well.
Unless you need a specific model right now then they are much much easier to get at rrp from official sellers.
The drought isn't over, but it has definitely started

Rpilocator also have a twitter feed. Pishop had 200 units in stock 17 hours ago, and none now. Stock of the popular modes disappears real fast. I'd say needing to camp out on a website refreshing stock lists is a lot of hassle.

I didn't look at the zero W though, only the zero 2. A zero W would also work. (I didn't know the zero w was still a thing.)

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Supposedly my SQFMI Beepy kit is in the mail… so stoked to have something to use my Zero W in when it gets here.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

keep in mind that if you get a zero W, you will also need a mini hdmi cable or adapter (the pi4 uses hdmi nano and I think the rest use standard hdmi) if you want to see any output

If you want to attach any usb devices (likely if you don’t want to use a bluetooth keyboard or etc to connect to it), you’ll need a USB OTG adapter that is known to work with the pi zero (the cable has to be straight or angled in the correct fashion).

Mantle
May 15, 2004

sb hermit posted:

keep in mind that if you get a zero W, you will also need a mini hdmi cable or adapter (the pi4 uses hdmi nano and I think the rest use standard hdmi) if you want to see any output

If you want to attach any usb devices (likely if you don’t want to use a bluetooth keyboard or etc to connect to it), you’ll need a USB OTG adapter that is known to work with the pi zero (the cable has to be straight or angled in the correct fashion).

You don't need to see output for headless use-- one way is to set up the usb port to enumerate as a network device when you plug it into your PC, then ssh to it. You don't even need a USB OTG cable for this, any micro HDMI cable will do.

E: tldr add g_ether to your device tree: https://learn.adafruit.com/turning-your-raspberry-pi-zero-into-a-usb-gadget/ethernet-gadget

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would not use a Wi-Fi client as the DNS server for my network, fwiw

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Another option is if you can get your hands on some sort of low power laptop - it doesn't really matter if it was poverty spec ten years ago, it'll still be more than fast enough. Not as power efficient as a Pi, and physically larger, but on the other hand you get a neat integrated display, keyboard, and backup battery.

e: But yes, get one with wired ethernet

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the le potato 1 GB is $30, but amazon currently seems to be selling the 2 GB for $35 (down from $50)

you can get more specs and information here:

https://libre.computer/products/aml-s905x-cc/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I would not use a Wi-Fi client as the DNS server for my network, fwiw

I have my Pi hole as primary and an external DNS as secondary. Worst case, I start getting ads and realize the Pi hole poo poo itself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Worst case your internet sucks because you're timing out all your DNS requests before they go to the secondary, but yeah you can reboot your way to victory.

A friend of mine happened upon a legit MSRP seller of 4GB Pi4s, so he grabbed me a few and shipped them to me, the utter gem that he is. I got some of the Argon One cases and the NVMe case-bottom-thing, and I've got some off-brand SSDs in them with the BIOS reflashed to boot off USB. Works great and definitely boots faster than it did with the same image on SD. Now to decide which of my half-imagined projects I want to undertake...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Inept posted:

the Pi hole poo poo itself

thread title

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

rate my setup: 2B running pihole/openvpn with the same SD card for the last ~7 years on wifi connected to a smart plug in a dusty corner behind a tv

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tweak posted:

rate my setup: 2B running pihole/openvpn with the same SD card for the last ~7 years on wifi connected to a smart plug in a dusty corner behind a tv

if it works it works

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't shut it down

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cruft posted:

thread title

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tweak posted:

5/7

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't shut it down

that's what the smart plug is for :haw:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Subjunctive posted:

Worst case your internet sucks because you're timing out all your DNS requests before they go to the secondary, but yeah you can reboot your way to victory.

A friend of mine happened upon a legit MSRP seller of 4GB Pi4s, so he grabbed me a few and shipped them to me, the utter gem that he is. I got some of the Argon One cases and the NVMe case-bottom-thing, and I've got some off-brand SSDs in them with the BIOS reflashed to boot off USB. Works great and definitely boots faster than it did with the same image on SD. Now to decide which of my half-imagined projects I want to undertake...

lol low profile or hi profile ICETower or bust

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Uhh, I think I am getting my RPi 4 soon? I ordered this back in March from Newark but have no idea how to interpret this. I got an email saying I paid them but neither of these tracking numbers work. I think maybe they somehow put their incoming shipment into my order. Maybe they are sending me 12 of them, who knows.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone able to recommend a UPS for a Pi4 or PiZeroW? I'd like to stop losing SD cards to power issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any random power bank that can provide power while charging should work. It’s just a question of how long you expect to have no power.

I’ve used a goalzero battery for that. I didn’t buy it specifically for the pi, it’s just something I had on hand when I needed to solve that problem and it worked a treat. By comparison, all Anker power banks I’ve owned cannot charge while delivering power so if you look at them read the fine print.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I have a generator so it needs no more than 10 minutes of power.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone able to recommend a UPS for a Pi4 or PiZeroW? I'd like to stop losing SD cards to power issues.

Switch to usb sticks or usb to sata ssds

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MikusR posted:

Switch to usb sticks or usb to sata ssds

I just did this over the weekend, finally, after dithering back and forth for over a year.

Other options I tried and didn't use:

• ZimaBoard: I couldn't get it to boot Flatcar Container Linux. If I can't run a self-updating A/B read-only OS, I'd rather not go through the trouble of moving everything off the Pi.
  • An old X220 laptop: It just seems wrong somehow to use a laptop as a server. Also, it's slow, and the parts are failing. Also, the power draw is quite a bit more.
  • Reinstalling a self-updating read-only OS: this still doesn't appear to be mainstream enough for what, to my family, is a production server.

It was actually pretty simple. I just needed to rsync -ax / /mnt/usb, then mount the boot FAT partition from the SD card someplace, and edit cmdline.txt to mount the USB stick as root instead of the LABEL=writable partition of the SD card.

Holding my breath for the USB stick to fail after the SD card hanging in there for 5+ years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don’t have to use SD at all. There’s a firmware update to boot directly from USB now (I’m using it with a USB NVMe adapter)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

NVMe pi rules tho at that point, as per tradition,*gestures vaguely at thread title*

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay so it look like Pi 4's are actually available again

How are PIs as a NAS? Ideally I'd want to start with 2 8TB spiny Drives..
My options are using a Pi.. or grabbing a GPU for my amd3600 and then using my aged intel 600 setup with a case to run an SAS setup.. All in I'd be like $250 (cheap case, SAS controller, and 2 used 8TB sas drives).

Pi would be about the same I'd assume. $70 for a Pi4. $20-30 for a power brick.. 3d Printed case.. +some kind of USB 3 HD enclosure and normal drives)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If your intent is to use USB hard drives a Pi 4 isn't the worst thing (earlier Pis with USB 2.0 shared with ethernet are pretty close to the worst thing), but because it's limited to USB its obviously worse than basically anything that has native SATA ports and/or PCIe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tater_salad posted:

My options are using a Pi.. or grabbing a GPU for my amd3600 and then using my aged intel 600 setup with a case to run an SAS setup.. All in I'd be like $250 (cheap case, SAS controller, and 2 used 8TB sas drives).

Pi would be about the same I'd assume. $70 for a Pi4. $20-30 for a power brick.. 3d Printed case.. +some kind of USB 3 HD enclosure and normal drives)

wouldn’t it be better to get a used/refurbished office PC for ~$100 and fill that with drives?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I use a Pi4 as a NAS/Router/Plex server. It's fine. I'm not, like, doing video editing on it or anything, just backing up photos and documents. I don't encode anything with H.265, so there's rarely ever a need to transcode anything. Most of the time, it's just idle.

Here's a photo of an earlier version, before I replaced the Velcroed backup disks with a 4-bay USB3 DAS.

I do recommend using this passive-cooling "everything is a heat radiator" case, over a 3d printed thing. I've never seen the CPU get up to 70° with this thing.

This draws maybe 5 watts idle, which is saving me $5 a year in electricity vs a 10W intel box. But more importantly, it's totally silent other than the DAS fan and hard drive heads seeking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 23, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tater_salad posted:

How are PIs as a NAS?

What usage you mean when saying NAS?
I personally have pi4 with 3 powered USB drives that hold my music (i play over samba and Navidrome) and videos (Plex to multiple local and remote devices and local Kodi over samba). And also Kopia/Windows file history target/Syncthing. uses about 20-26W

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MikusR posted:

uses about 20-26W

:confused: I'm gonna go measure my setup again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MikusR posted:

What usage you mean when saying NAS?
I personally have pi4 with 3 powered USB drives that hold my music (i play over samba and Navidrome) and videos (Plex to multiple local and remote devices and local Kodi over samba). And also Kopia/Windows file history target/Syncthing. uses about 20-26W

just set it up with 2-4 drives in Raid (can probably just get away with 8tb of space) .. and have it sit on my network as a redundancy for my desktops / file share since I have like 5 PC's at any point and time. looking at 2 bay USB enclosures gets $$ tho. The desire to do this with a Pi is they're small. I don't have small PC parts so if I wanted to build a Nas we're looking at a small case, and a new mobo and and nad.

Ok Comboomer posted:

wouldn’t it be better to get a used/refurbished office PC for ~$100 and fill that with drives?

I mean that's the initial plan.. I"ve got an old intel system that I'd just toss in a cheap case, and upgrade my "upstairs pc" with my amd setup (would need ram and a poo poo gpu).