Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Broke: Mounted combat

Woke: Naval combat :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In a surprise twist, LOTRO naval combat takes place in EVE Online.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

I wonder if the new expansion will let us sail around really laggy boats that turn strangely

The question of sailing came up in the last Twitch stream.

Dev said no, but that instances involving ship combat and boarding actions were possible in the future.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

You know I used to think the solution to mounted combat was to just increase the turn speed of all mounted combat mounts by 25% but now I think that they could just make it so if you do a turn you lose speed, with the speed loss dependent on the actual speed you are going (i.e. high speed loses more speed).

I'm really really curious about this lag fix they are apparently going to deploy this week.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Evil Fluffy posted:

In a surprise twist, LOTRO naval combat takes place in EVE Online.

put it in star trek online so they can get the glitch where sometimes your ship model gets replaced w/ your character model

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cutedge posted:

You know I used to think the solution to mounted combat was to just increase the turn speed of all mounted combat mounts by 25% but now I think that they could just make it so if you do a turn you lose speed, with the speed loss dependent on the actual speed you are going (i.e. high speed loses more speed).

You would still have the issue that horses drift like rally cars. You should be able to turn more sharpy at a cost of speed but the entire mounted combat system has always been a mess and I can't begin to imagine the sort of issues the devs ran into when creating it because they were trying to make something new in a game whose development started in 1998.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

put it in star trek online so they can get the glitch where sometimes your ship model gets replaced w/ your character model

this was a really fun episode of lower decks

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Welp, a Mariner class is like laser-targeted towards getting me to reinstall this game and play for a while when it drops. I’m sure I’ll lose steam after Moria as always but it’ll still be a fun revisit.

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.
Eager to hobbit it up in a few days when my new PC comes in the mail. Any goon groups still active on Landroval?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sadly not really. The Nazgun isn’t very active, there are probably more active goons spread about other groups on the server

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Sadly not really. The Nazgun isn’t very active, there are probably more active goons spread about other groups on the server

drat, rip

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Eh, there’s still a few of us playing even if there’s no organized kin activity. If nothing else it’s a chill goon chat channel to keep you company when you’re growing pipeweed and delivering hobbit pies.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh definitely. It’s still a tier 10 Kin and the kin house is badass but I’ve only ever seen 1 other person on with myself.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
With Magic the gathering releasing a LotR themed set i got the lotro cravings and reinstalled the game.

Looks like my old characters are all gone. Aparently a set of servers was shut down and they didn’t move the characters to the remaining ones for some reason.

I have a decent amount of nostalgia for leveling in bree-lands so having to restart is not such a big deal i guess.

Game is still pretty fun. Quite rough around the edges though.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I’ll be back for the next expansion but have too much Diablo and Zelda to play right now.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve been slowing leveling a captain through Moria, but I’ve been on a EU4 kick lately

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
looking forward to the scouring of the shire expansion

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

samcarsten posted:

looking forward to the scouring of the shire expansion
This could be pretty nifty as a set of skirmishes or something. Rallying the Tooks to take back the Shire from Saruman could rule.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That’s kind of a thing already? Trouble in Tuckborough?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
hell my current kin is dead, I might transfer my toons over to the Nazgun at some point soon. our kinhouse has a better view

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I try to play regularly, but Dave the diver had me hooked currently. Pun unintended but left in. Getting my warden through the msqs for the first time. I can invite if anyone needs. The discord is relatively active.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Getting free levels by running around in post war Minas Tirith albeit extremely repetitive was quite fun while it lasted. Got a ton of cosmetics and house items too. This game does events really well cant wait for the next one

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I built a new computer and now any time i try to adjust the camera it spins wildly all over the place. lol this game.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

I built a new computer and now any time i try to adjust the camera it spins wildly all over the place. lol this game.
If you didn't already fix it - does the camera flip around when you start moving? I ask because there is a toggle under Options->Input for Reset Camera When Moving.

I always turn that off, along with Selection Indicator under UI Settings and Directional Selection under Combat Options.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

fenix down posted:

If you didn't already fix it - does the camera flip around when you start moving? I ask because there is a toggle under Options->Input for Reset Camera When Moving.

I always turn that off, along with Selection Indicator under UI Settings and Directional Selection under Combat Options.

Exact same behavior with that setting both on and off. I'm going to guess it's some unrelated interaction between the game and my OS but thought I'd mention it in this thread in case it was a common thing.

Edit:

Cutedge posted:

There's also a "Target Lock-On Mode" which will make the camera pan to whatever you have targeted. The default keybinding for that is "X" I think.

This was the first thing I checked. Not that either. Thanks for chiming in though.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 6, 2023

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

There's also a "Target Lock-On Mode" which will make the camera pan to whatever you have targeted. The default keybinding for that is "X" I think.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Options -> Input -> "Mouse Look Sensitivity" slider -> crank it way the gently caress down (mine's at 0.10 for example).

If the camera's still spinning wildly even when it's all the way at 0, it sounds like your OS is instead cranking mouse movement way the gently caress up somehow, and you should nose around to see what's doing that.

Could be a physical toggle too, e.g. my mouse has a button I can press to cycle between 5 (?) speeds of mouse movement.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Do you have a controller plugged in? I’ve had this with other games where the OS somehow gets in a weird state where it gets stuck with some controller input (even with games that don’t support it).

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I am fully done with Lone Land except the group quests so i have like 47 quests to Garth Agarwen.

Some of them are small fellowship, some are fellowship, and it looks like there is a 3-man and a 6-man instance. So the quests go to the outdoors area outside the instance entrances, as well as to the 2 instances?

Do people run groups for all 3 locations in a go or do i need to look for group 3 times to do them all?
Should i ask in LFF or in WORLD? I barely if ever see any chatter in LFF on my server (the EU one) but don't know how well received it is to ask for low level stuff in WORLD.
Is there an instance finder i can open at will? The only place i have seen it is when talking to the NPC for the Forsaken Inn Cellar at nighttime quest.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I am fully done with Lone Land except the group quests so i have like 47 quests to Garth Agarwen.

Some of them are small fellowship, some are fellowship, and it looks like there is a 3-man and a 6-man instance. So the quests go to the outdoors area outside the instance entrances, as well as to the 2 instances?

Do people run groups for all 3 locations in a go or do i need to look for group 3 times to do them all?
Should i ask in LFF or in WORLD? I barely if ever see any chatter in LFF on my server (the EU one) but don't know how well received it is to ask for low level stuff in WORLD.
Is there an instance finder i can open at will? The only place i have seen it is when talking to the NPC for the Forsaken Inn Cellar at nighttime quest.

IIRC some of the group quests are for the area outside the actual instances, some are found inside the instances. Sometimes the quest description will tell you which.

There's an instance finder, but for some reason nobody uses it. You're better off asking in the channels, if someone takes issue with that just laugh at them and/or ignore them.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i was personally never able to get a group for those quests, so i did the ones i could do solo and skipped the rest. i think i spent probably an hour or so advertising in chat to no avail.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Vil posted:

Options -> Input -> "Mouse Look Sensitivity" slider -> crank it way the gently caress down (mine's at 0.10 for example).

If the camera's still spinning wildly even when it's all the way at 0, it sounds like your OS is instead cranking mouse movement way the gently caress up somehow, and you should nose around to see what's doing that.

Could be a physical toggle too, e.g. my mouse has a button I can press to cycle between 5 (?) speeds of mouse movement.

I tried putting mouse sensitivity down to zero and now I think I see the problem and it makes no sense to me. Instead of turning the camera in tune with my mouse movements, it's turning the camera with my cursor's position on the screen, steadily spinning if my mouse cursor isn't exactly centered. Which is bizarre. No controllers plugged in either.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

I tried putting mouse sensitivity down to zero and now I think I see the problem and it makes no sense to me. Instead of turning the camera in tune with my mouse movements, it's turning the camera with my cursor's position on the screen, steadily spinning if my mouse cursor isn't exactly centered. Which is bizarre. No controllers plugged in either.
Have you tried switching between the Windowed & Full Screen modes? It sounds like your mouse cursor isn't locked to the game. Also try Alt + Tabbing or pressing the Windows key and refocusing on the game.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Well, I managed to fix my issue, but I have no idea why what I did worked lol. If anybody else is playing this drat game on Steam on Linux like I am, switch to a Proton version 6 or earlier. Apparently 7 and 8 broke the camera controls.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wANlQ_GnUZY

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Update 37 beta #2 is up.

Lyndelby Housing and River-hobbits are in now. It appears River-hobbits won't have a unique prologue, but begin in starter quests added in Before the Shadow. Unlike their cousins. They were boots.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OhFunny posted:

It appears River-hobbits won't have a unique prologue, but begin in starter quests added in Before the Shadow.

Wouldn’t be surprised they’re taking a page from WoW here and keeping this as a generic starter area for any new races added later on. Don’t think we’ll see any new prologues moving forward, that would at least make sense from a design perspective.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if you created a River-hobbit but didn’t own BtS?

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

quote:

River-hobbits start their journey Before the Shadow in the town of Mossward. Access to quests and deeds in Swanfleet as well as the Before the Shadow Prologue, Book 1, Book 2, Book 3, and Afterword will be included with any River-hobbit Bundles for those who do not already own the Expansion: Before the Shadow.

https://forums.lotro.com/index.php?threads/update-37-river-hobbits.2135/

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The new store design is coming on the 2nd of August.

I only really care about this because they listed the priority/timeline of overhauls on one of the streams as the online store, then a new launcher, two-factor authentication, and finally 4k updates.

So one step closer to that sweet 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OhFunny posted:

The new store design is coming on the 2nd of August.

I only really care about this because they listed the priority/timeline of overhauls on one of the streams as the online store, then a new launcher, two-factor authentication, and finally 4k updates.

So one step closer to that sweet 4k.

OneLauncher already exists and is open source. They really should just branch from that.