Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Silhouette posted:

it's not 1992 any more grampa, short sleeves are supposed to end at mid-bicep when your arms are relaxed, not hit your elbow and billow out like Doug Funnie

Sorry dad, you ain't with it anymore. They're coming back around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
did Whoppers (chocolate malt balls) get shittier? I saw they were on sale and got a box. I feel like I fell for a con.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Also, take something like vacuums as an example. In 2000, you could buy a perfectly good $200 vacuum. Making a better vacuum would cost more, but people wouldn't pay more. Instead, they make vacuums cheaper and shittier, but charge the same. The bonus upside is that they fail quicker, so you can sell another $250 vacuum (what? Gotta account for inflation!).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Well, nature abhors a vacuum.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Headlight chat: the stupid bright rear end sun-surface LED headlights. Wtf is up with those? Driving became so painful and dangerous, I swore off owning another sedan

Fighting Elegy posted:

did Whoppers (chocolate malt balls) get shittier? I saw they were on sale and got a box. I feel like I fell for a con.

I bought two chocolate bars recently and they were both terrible. Almond Joy and Hershey Milk Chocolate. The latter I don't even like much but it pairs well with plain unsalted almonds, which I had. Both tasted chalky and synthetic. The dark Lindt and Ghirardhelli I bought at the supermarket a few weeks ago were fine though.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
youtube is essentially serving up the same videos as if i opened youtube in a private window. i've tried "forgetting" youtube in my history, deleteing my entire history and disabling every plugin that i have and then switching from ff to edge. it's still the same poo poo. im getting 3 year old mr beast video recommendations that i already watched 3 years ago. anyone else?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Watch it again. The algorithm knows you better than you know yourself. Clearly there was a deeper meaning to that video you missed at the time.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Koburn posted:

Watch it again. The algorithm knows you better than you know yourself. Clearly there was a deeper meaning to that video you missed at the time.

one of my first recommendations now is a literal gutfield clip. how dare you be so nonchalant. this is hosed up!

edit: i've been watching poo poo i actually like at 2x speed just so the algorithm can figure me out but it's not working and nothing is sticking. i just saw ben shapiros smug face

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 27, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
USB cables.

Bought a really cheap USB meter a few years ago and learned how bad a lot of my cables actually are.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Denim Dude posted:

one of my first recommendations now is a literal gutfield clip. how dare you be so nonchalant. this is hosed up!

edit: i've been watching poo poo i actually like at 2x speed just so the algorithm can figure me out but it's not working and nothing is sticking. i just saw ben shapiros smug face

I assume that's a joke but it reminds me of a ~hack~ I saw recently for youtube. See, even if you watch at 2x speed, youtube only counts the realtime minutes you spend watching a video to determine your "engagement" i.e. what fraction of the video it thinks you watched. So if you upload your video in double speed and tell your viewers to slow it to .5x, the algorithm thinks everyone loves the video so much they all watched it twice.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
A four pack of one of the deodorants I buy, Dove Men deodorant, is now anywhere from $25 to $30 dollars. The last time I bought it online was last September and I paid $15.66 . A quick Google search gives me a bunch of articles about parent company Unilever significantly increasing prices across their brands because gently caress you. It's bad enough that the average size for all deodorants is 2.7oz now instead of 3.

Can't help but wonder what the end game of shrinkflation is.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

aniviron posted:

I assume that's a joke but it reminds me of a ~hack~ I saw recently for youtube. See, even if you watch at 2x speed, youtube only counts the realtime minutes you spend watching a video to determine your "engagement" i.e. what fraction of the video it thinks you watched. So if you upload your video in double speed and tell your viewers to slow it to .5x, the algorithm thinks everyone loves the video so much they all watched it twice.

no joke. i don't watch youtube while logged in and i usually nuke youtube from my history about once a month or whenever all the thumbnails have people making stupid faces mr beast style or whichever happens first. then i just sort of "seed" the algorithm with poo poo i like. tech stuff, essentially americas home videos type poo poo, animal rescue type stuff, music videos, comedy skits etc. it's not remembering poo poo. but i was too hasty saying it wasn't working in ms edge. i searched for some tech stuff in edge and it at least tried to recommend me similar videos. it's got to be a plugin in firefox so i'll try to troubleshoot tomorrow when i sober up. namaste

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Denim Dude posted:

no joke. i don't watch youtube while logged in and i usually nuke youtube from my history about once a month or whenever all the thumbnails have people making stupid faces mr beast style or whichever happens first. then i just sort of "seed" the algorithm with poo poo i like. tech stuff, essentially americas home videos type poo poo, animal rescue type stuff, music videos, comedy skits etc. it's not remembering poo poo. but i was too hasty saying it wasn't working in ms edge. i searched for some tech stuff in edge and it at least tried to recommend me similar videos. it's got to be a plugin in firefox so i'll try to troubleshoot tomorrow when i sober up. namaste

I do all this to scrub my youtube of altright poo poo, then my son watches a video about zelda tears of the kingdom, and the algorithm just goes fully fash immediately, throwing up andrew tate, ben shapiro and jordan peterson all over my home page. Must be a coincidence no way would the algorithm try to steer kids towards fascism!!!!!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Denim Dude posted:

I caved and got YouTube premium and have not regretted it for an instant, I barely ever get videos I hate and am hypervigilant about slamming the 'don't show me stuff like this' button when I do.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

blocktube is a good plugin i just wish instead of only being able to block a fash channel one at a time it knew that i wanted to block all of the fash channels but i guess we don't live in a perfect world. just something to keep in mind if you are trying to keep your kid from seeing that crap.

edit: weird double post.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 27, 2023

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

I do all this to scrub my youtube of altright poo poo, then my son watches a video about zelda tears of the kingdom, and the algorithm just goes fully fash immediately, throwing up andrew tate, ben shapiro and jordan peterson all over my home page. Must be a coincidence no way would the algorithm try to steer kids towards fascism!!!!!!!

blocktube is a good plugin i just wish instead of only being able to block a fash channel one at a time it knew that i wanted to block all of the fash channels but i guess we don't live in a perfect world. just something to keep in mind if you are trying to keep your kid from seeing that crap.

EDIT I just had the thought that SA users could add fash channels to some sort of master list so that other users of the plugin could benefit. not me though. it would take a hero...

sebmojo posted:

I caved and got YouTube premium and have not regretted it for an instant, I barely ever get videos I hate and am hypervigilant about slamming the 'don't show me stuff like this' button when I do.

yeah i hear it really is worth it but iim out of work and broke as poo poo :/

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 27, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Biplane posted:

Look everyone know Zelda is 100% fash what with his ocarina and his killing of all those minority "monsters" and all.

Nintendo don't even try and hide it!!!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My solution for YouTube was to adblock the recommendations and comments completely and never interact with it outside of my subscription feed.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Denim Dude posted:

no joke. i don't watch youtube while logged in and i usually nuke youtube from my history about once a month ... it's not remembering poo poo.

I'm kinda confused. You say you're deleting your history every month along with taking other steps to make it as hard as possible to remember anything about you but you're unhappy because this results in it not remembering anything about you?

I don't get any fash or Mr Beast content because years ago I hit "not interested" and "don't reccomend channel" on a bunch of thumbnails. Then I opted not to go out of my way to erase all that info because it obviously only works if it can remember I did that.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 27, 2023

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Further Reading posted:

I'm kinda confused. You say you're deleting your history every month along with taking other steps to make it as hard as possible to remember anything about you but you're unhappy because this results in it not remembering anything about you?

I don't get any fash or Mr Beast content because years ago I hit "not interested" and "don't reccomend channel" on a bunch of thumbnails. Then I opted not to go out of my way to erase all that info because it obviously only works if it can remember I did that.

"I don't get any fash or Mr Beast content because years ago I hit "not interested" and "don't reccomend channel"

that is probably certainly something you can do if you are logged in. like i said tho i don't like to browse youtube logged in. to the point where if i need to open my gmail i do it in a private window.

usually i can spend about maybe 30 minutes after i nuke my youtube history for youtube to "get to know me" so to speak. i have no problem with youtube remembering what i like, especially when it is completely local cache/cookies/whatever . it's just that at some point youtube pretends to know me better than i know myself. which is when i nuke it. something is different now, and im not sure what. it's not recommending anything relevant. like i said might be ff or a ff plugin. i'll troubleshoot tomorrow.

for a visual, after spending some time trying to get "the algorithm" to figure out what i'm interested in this is what my youtube looks like and i made it small to get as many videos thumbnails on screen as i could. none of this poo poo is of any interest to me.

it is not normal.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 27, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MoonshineWilly posted:

While we’re complaining about clothes, can jeans companies please stop putting flexible fabric in the jeans so that after a few washes the jeans have shrunken an inch? I understand that I’m buying cheapo jeans at Walmart, but if I wanted a size 32 instead of a 34, I would have bought the 32s. At least I can chuckle to myself about being too fat for fat jeans.

Real denim shrinks, even if it's old fashioned non-stretch fabric. Some people prefer it and buy accordingly. If you want jeans that don't shrink, check if the brand you are buying used sanforized fabric. If not, but a larger size.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everyone should be buying jeans a few sizes to big anyway because baggie jeans are awesome.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

wash bucket posted:

Sorry dad, you ain't with it anymore. They're coming back around.

uniqlo has the most emaciated looking models of any major clothing retailer

someone get that poor kid a carb

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

sebmojo posted:

doctorow on cars getting shittier

"coupe rooflines" on sedans are another form of car enshittification. Most sedans now do not have enough head and shoulder room to accommodate an adult human without the adult bowing their head. Meanwhile, actual coupes have disappeared. I have heard the excuse of aerodynamics, but the Mercedes W124 had a drag coefficient of 0.28 with a formal roofline in the 1980s. Some might say style but nobody really seems to like the way new cars look. Who are these cars for? They're not for families, because families don't fit in them, but if they're for atomized individuals they could have two doors and look like real coupes and not like a frog taking a poo poo. The worst offender might be Mazda because they have decided to make their front wheel drive cars look like rear wheel drive cars by pushing the dash and A-pillar back, giving you the cramped leg-crushing back seat of a BMW 2 Series without any of the fun up front. Another worst of both worlds comes from the fact that every FWD car is built to also be AWD which means they have big transmission tunnels like an RWD car, sacrificing another one of the advantages that made transverse FWD so practical and successful. Progress!

And it doesn't stop there. Modern rear seats have these huge, HARD non-bolster bolsters that poke into your elbows and upper arms and pinch the seats towards the middle of the car, and on cheaper models there is no upholstery at all on them. Soft touch plastics and upholstered door cards are disappearing from moderately priced cars. Small crossovers often have insane floor heights so the extra body height is wasted and they're just as cramped as sedans. Getting a Lyft ride in a 20 year old car is often a relief.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 27, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Silhouette posted:

it's not 1992 any more grampa, short sleeves are supposed to end at mid-bicep when your arms are relaxed, not hit your elbow and billow out like Doug Funnie

Did you miss where I said that's not what I want? I just want them a little longer. They don't even go mid-bicep, they're like..1/4 of the way down my bicep of my freakishly long gorilla arms.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Koburn posted:

God I loving hate this argument and people make it all the time.

You don't like tiktok because it keeps showing you scantily clad dancing teenagers and school shooting videos? Hmm maybe that actually says more about you than it does about this bullshit app I spend every waking minute on.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Apple's "My Photo Stream" is officially shut down according to the email I just received. I don't really know what My Photo Stream was for, but I assume that something on my iPhone will be shittier as a result.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Apple's "My Photo Stream" is officially shut down according to the email I just received. I don't really know what My Photo Stream was for, but I assume that something on my iPhone will be shittier as a result.

It was basically a more limited, but free, icloud photo storage. It stored like the last x number of photos (100 or a 1000?) photos you took, and you could sync them between devices.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Like...two years ago? More? Less? Google finally killed Hangouts after threatening it for years.

Hangouts ruled, at least the UI. I used the Chrome plugin for texting from my desktop, and it was great. You could just drag+drop or copy+paste images inline to send to people.

The Google Voice web interface (there's two, one that's built into Gmail and a separate GV-only web portal) and they both suck. They can't do copy+paste or drag+drop of images. You have to right click, save, then go to the file uploader. It's so much slower. It's actually quicker for me to right-click, send it to Pushbullet, then go into GV on my phone and GV usually sees the image that Pushbullet synced and I can send it from there.

But I said usually. Sometimes, the GV image picker on my phone justdoesn't see some images. They're in the same folder as other images it CAN see, and it's a JPG or L:NG, not accidentally a Web, file (gross), but just doesn't see it. And GV has no option to browse the entirety of my phone's storage to send a file, even though almost every other app on my phone can.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Woolie Wool posted:

"coupe rooflines" on sedans are another form of car enshittification. Most sedans now do not have enough head and shoulder room to accommodate an adult human without the adult bowing their head.

My sister bought a 2017 Mazda6 in which this 6 foot tall broad-shouldered rear end in a top hat has to practice yoga and dislodge my bones from their sockets in order to get my Lurch rear end inside. Once inside, it’s not so bad, but the roofline is so freakin’ low on that thing.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like...two years ago? More? Less? Google finally killed Hangouts after threatening it for years.

Hangouts ruled, at least the UI. I used the Chrome plugin for texting from my desktop, and it was great. You could just drag+drop or copy+paste images inline to send to people.

The Google Voice web interface (there's two, one that's built into Gmail and a separate GV-only web portal) and they both suck. They can't do copy+paste or drag+drop of images. You have to right click, save, then go to the file uploader. It's so much slower. It's actually quicker for me to right-click, send it to Pushbullet, then go into GV on my phone and GV usually sees the image that Pushbullet synced and I can send it from there.

But I said usually. Sometimes, the GV image picker on my phone justdoesn't see some images. They're in the same folder as other images it CAN see, and it's a JPG or L:NG, not accidentally a Web, file (gross), but just doesn't see it. And GV has no option to browse the entirety of my phone's storage to send a file, even though almost every other app on my phone can.

Hey let me show you this article real quick

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/a-decade-and-a-half-of-instability-the-history-of-google-messaging-apps/

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

now i have a valid reason to avoid it! thanks!

Nujabes rules you suck

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

You Are A Elf posted:

My sister bought a 2017 Mazda6 in which this 6 foot tall broad-shouldered rear end in a top hat has to practice yoga and dislodge my bones from their sockets in order to get my Lurch rear end inside. Once inside, it’s not so bad, but the roofline is so freakin’ low on that thing.

I sat in the back of a brand new Volvo V90, their biggest expensive as poo poo luxury flagship station wagon - not even a coupe - , and my head wanted to be about 2 inches higher than the roof. I'm 6'3.5"!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Youtube has randomly converted my old GTA4 videos to 21:9, and there doesn't seem to be any way for me to fix them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t6eZ7IaEZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naTyM7DLDqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PSuP619zMI

No idea when this happened. I only just found out because of a Youtube notification telling me one of my old videos has a new comment.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Console gaming.

I just want to shoot some fucker, not update something every time I turn it on or go looking for some dumbass button that keeps teleporting around every time you update some app I never use.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Highland Park 12 was my go-to scotch because it was nice and peaty, smooth, and was 40 USD. They rebranded as some Viking poo poo, made it sweeter, and it's 60-70 USD. Who is this for?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Highland Park 12 was my go-to scotch because it was nice and peaty, smooth, and was 40 USD. They rebranded as some Viking poo poo, made it sweeter, and it's 60-70 USD. Who is this for?

Yamasaki 12 used to be $80-90 around here and was worth it. Now it’s anywhere from $110 to $150 and it sucks. Absolutely not the same whiskey.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Extra row of tits posted:

Console gaming.

I just want to shoot some fucker, not update something every time I turn it on or go looking for some dumbass button that keeps teleporting around every time you update some app I never use.

I’m starting to take older users seriously because UIs really do be just changing all the time for no reason and then you have to figure out the new way and then 6 months later you get another 10gb update to change it again

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

skooma512 posted:

I’m starting to take older users seriously

Old man yells at cloud means something a bit different nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Scotch is very popular in Asia these days.