Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

There's the Marilyn Monroe jacket thing, that was a thing I guess.

Sometimes life imitates art and that moment reminded me of Kim Kardashian borrowing a Monroe dress for the Met Gala recently. Many were concerned she was going to damage it.

Heavy Metal posted:

By the way, how's the protocol look for a did not finish on here? Lord help me, this is what they didn't warn us about. Movies gone bad.

Sometimes that happens. No one would care unless you started doing it a whole bunch. Years ago there were a few posters who were taking massive dumps on any older films and also doing one word reviews. That didn't go over well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Harold and Maude - Keeping some vibes and motifs going, a movie I've meant to see for years.

I had an extremely strong reaction when I saw this, so I'd be curious to hear about it through fresh eyes.

And, for my part, I am pleased to announce I have finally overcome the challenge of balancing having a baby and managed to block off 4 hours for a certain marathon of a film...

Watched Lawrence of Arabia (1962):

This epic historical drama tells the story of real-life British Army officer T.E. Lawrence, particularly his missions during World War I to help unite disparate Arab tribes in their fight back against the Ottoman Empire. "Epic" isn't an exaggeration, either in the scope of the narrative or the length of the film. Nearly five minutes pass before there's an image on screen, as we open with a musical overture over a black screen. It's definitely a picture that takes it's time. Rather than an over-stuffed war-time adventure film, Lawrence of Arabia really slows down and breathes. The desert scenes, filmed in Jordan, Morocco, and Spain, are gorgeous. They truly capture the vast emptiness of the desert, especially those shots on the sweltering horizon when you can never be sure if you REALLY see someone over the horizon at first. I have a nice-sized modern TV, but, man, I'd love to see this on the big screen. Despite the WWI setting, it's pretty sparse on action, especially before the intermission about two hours in. A successful raid on a strategic seaport, for example, is over in minutes, focusing instead on the development and execution of the sneak attack from the unguarded desert-facing part of an oceanside city. But there's a lot to heft to the smaller-scale moments, and you feel the weight Lawrence carries around as his new friends and companions die, whether in the war itself, inter-tribe fighting, or just the natural dangers of the desert. The approach to characterization is interesting. Lawrence is introduced as an over-educated, under-performing soldier, and there's no indication anyone is treating his initial mission as much more than an afterthought. But he takes it seriously, and earns the respect of those he meets, although his inner motivation seems somehow elusive, aside from what you can extrapolate from his changing personality. (I really have no idea how historically accurate the film is--Lawrence and others are real people, but others are composites.) I don't have too many nitpicks. There is an unnecessary framing device in which the movie begins with Lawrence's fatal motorcycle accident, then has some scenes of reporter trying to interview people about the man after his funeral. I'd forgotten about it by the time the film ended, but it was an odd, somewhat pointless way to start off. And, unfortunately, as you might expect from the era and the setting, you've got to get past some brownface. There are two major Arab characters played by British actor Alec Guinness and Mexican actor Anthony Quinn. Yes, it was 1962. Yes, they are great, respectful performances by acclaimed actors. And, yes, it was ultimately Egyptian actor Omar Sharif who got the Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actor. It's just a sad reality that dated the film a bit. Overall, though, I am very glad I was able to carve out an afternoon to take this one in.

LIST OF SHAME:
1. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) (added 06-03-22): I need a civics lesson. I like Jimmy Stewart, but I primarily know him through his work with Alfred Hitchcock. I've actually never seen It's a Wonderful Life, either, but I'm saving that for a Christmastime viewing.
4. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (added 06-03-22): I like war films, but when we get back to the fifties and earlier we are getting to the point where I have seen a handful of classics and things by directors I like but otherwise have a lot of blind spots.
10. Brokeback Mountain (2005) (added 06-03-22): I would have to consider myself a Jake Gyllenhaal fan, and of course we lost Heath too soon. I vaguely remember finding Ang Lee pretentious and annoying in the press cycle/Oscar buzz period for the movie, which may have contributed to missing out on it at the time.
14. Come and See (1985) (added 07-13-22): I hear this could be the rare anti-war film that effectively communicates its message without glamorizing war.
15. Tokyo Story (1953) (added 07-29-22): I've never seen an Ozu film, and this is considered a masterpiece.
16. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) (added 08-08-22): Kazan and Brando's first collaboration, not to mention Brando's first Oscar nod.
17. Purple Rain (1984) (added 08-19-22): Prince's eighties run of albums was godlike, but I've never seen the purple one on the silver screen.
18. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) (added 08-31-22): The most iconic film directed by John Cassavetes, who I've thus far only seen on the other side of the camera.
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
(and introducing...)
20. Caddyshack (1980) (added 03-10-23): Despite growing up on a healthy diet of '80s movies and Bill Murray being my favorite actor, I don't think I've so much as caught five minutes of this on cable.

SHAME OVERCOME (10 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Crescent Wrench posted:

20. Caddyshack (1980) (added 03-10-23): Despite growing up on a healthy diet of '80s movies and Bill Murray being my favorite actor, I don't think I've so much as caught five minutes of this on cable.

Classic. Also the finest role for one of my heroes, Rodney Dangerfield.

And thanks for the film perspective Zogo, always cool to see.

I just saw Harold and Maude, very cool! That went down smooth, one movie rear end movie. Cinema magic. Tight 91 mins, fun shots and editing, delivers the goods. Lovable characters, great vibe, cool tunes, some good thoughtful philosophy stuff in there, good gags, touching stuff. It has thrilling car scenes even. Glad I finally saw it.

Random note, I was about to say two thumbs up, got curious if Ebert liked it. His 1½ star review is online, and I kinda guessed he might not have liked it. I feel like his taste got more up my alley later in his career. Though it's all personal taste, and takes change over the years. It is interesting to hear the movie wasn't a hit or critically acclaimed at the time, catching on later. Like a lot of cool things do. Though he did give The Big Lebowski four stars. Siskel's vintage newspaper reviews aren't as google-able.

The list:

Hard Times - Looks like a better Bronson movie, said to be must see by Tarantino.

La Haine - I hear it's cool. (using the tactic of freezing this flick, not quite feeling that vibe at the moment.)

Trouble in Mind - keeping the 80s picks rolling.

Gridlock'd - looks like a 90s gem.

Duck Soup - keeping the comedy history thing going. Plus Nic Cage referenced Harpo recently, and he knows his stuff.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - More HK, because it's cool. Haven't seen much Gordon Liu.

Watch Out, We're Mad - Italy corner. This stars those Trinity comedy duo guys. They have a beat em up game.

The Hidden Fortress - I'd like to check out more of Kurosawa's stuff.

Companeros - some high quality Sergio spaghetti I hear.

Sex Lies & Videotape - A modern indie you hear about, plus Soderbergh is interesting. It's from 1989, which is good.

Hooper - Boning up on Burt.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Sex Lies & Videotape - A modern indie you hear about, plus Soderbergh is interesting. It's from 1989, which is good.

"Being happy isn't all that great."

The Serpent and the Rainbow - Bill Pullman plays an anthropologist who goes to Haiti to try and discover the truth behind a bunch of zombie rumors. He's dressed like he's stepped off the set of Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf music video. He then drinks a concoction of psychedelic drugs which leads him to have a lot of phantasmagorical premonitions. We then get a taste of Haitian exoticism, spiritism, Catholicism and voodooism. It's all intertwined together. Anyway, he's determined to figure out the truth behind this wonder drug. It all feels like he's being misled by misguided corporate overlords.

It has lots of hallmarks of horror films: grave-digging, nightmarish torture chambers, a malevolent antagonist who's like a Haitian Freddy Krueger at times. But it's more thrilling than frightening and heavier on the narration than I was expecting. Kind of a cross between Pet Sematary (1989) and Medicine Man (1992).

Also watched:

Blue Collar - Auto assembly workers in Detroit are grumbling and griping over a bunch of issues. There's the typical union infighting and fights with management over money. A few workers are having financial issues due to tax evasion, drug use and partying. This becomes an impetus for burglary.

It's kind of a cross between Norma Rae (1979) and Office Space (1999). But the main trio played by Richard Pryor, Yaphet Kotto and Harvey Keitel face more serious consequences than those in the other films.

In the burglary they only get $600 and a mysterious notebook full of loans they decide to use for blackmail. But they're in over their heads and get caught up in paranoia and naivete. By the end the former friends are screaming racial slurs at each other. It's a reminder that many things in life are circumstantial. So it's a gloomier but more truthful coda compared to the fantasies found in those two other films.

James Bond versus Godzilla (50/64 completed):

Hesitation (133 completed):

#103 Joyless Street - One of the few films I've recommended ITT that I haven't seen (as it's been hard to track down). 3/28/22

#108 Cabiria - This old epic was supposed to get a restored Blu-ray release many years ago but it never happened. I guess I'll just watch the available version. 4/23/22

#129 Time of the Gypsies - It's been on my radar for a long time but it's been hard to track down. 11/9/22

#134 Dead of Night - An early horror anthology with a good reputation. 2/5/23

new #138 The Hitcher - I've heard it's scary. 3/13/23

AFI's 10 Top 10 (95/100 completed):

Bull Durham - A baseball movie I keep putting off. I have this one linked with The Natural in my mind but I'm sure it's different. 10/10/22

The Pride of the Yankees - This one has always looked really shmaltzy but you can't judge a film from only a few snippets. 9/8/22

Variety's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time (95/100 completed):

#79 Waiting for Guffman - It's been recommended in the past. 3/6/23

#80 Pixote - It sounds similiar to City of God. 3/6/23

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (43/50 completed):

new #43 Kids - I've always heard this was controversial for some reason. 3/13/23

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 13, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Zogo posted:

#79 Waiting for Guffman - It's been recommended in the past. 3/6/23

Curious to see thoughts on a Christopher Guest, always highly recommended, but I have mixed emotions about the ones I've seen.

Zogo posted:

piratepilates posted:

3. House (1977): I remember a long time ago when CineD was going crazy over the movie and the trailer is incredible

"Any old cat can open a door. Only a witch cat can close a door."

Fun movie. Very visually inventive, especially when it starts kicking in to high gear with the titular house eating people. I was tepid on the parts leading up to the house -- the schoolgirls at school, Gorgeous' life at home, first getting to the house and settling in -- but the last hour or so was more up my alley. I'm not generally a horror guy, I don't tend to see a lot of movies that fit a certain "home video horror" (maybe not the best descriptor) feel. I may be missing context for the genre, and I don't think movies in it tend to affect me as much as other genres. The creative use of shots, and cheap special effects are something I love seeing in movies though. The tricks used to create the impact of the horror and the action scenes were really effective, evoking a kineticism reminding me of Sam Raimi and the like.

I've only done the lightest bit of reading around the movie, so there's a lot of imagery I'm still processing, particularly around Gorgeous, her Aunt (and dead fiancee), her stepmother, and obviously the house. The legacy of the Second World War is the most striking part of the movie. All of the little girl friend group, Gorgeous aside, doesn't have a character beyond the one thing they're associated with (Mac/stoMach likes eating, Prof likes reading, Sweet is sweet, like an inverted seven dwarves) -- and Gorgeous didn't seem to have much of a character beyond the legacy of her deceased Mother and Aunt. What character does have the most flesh on them is the Aunt character, and the impact of the loss of her fiancee from the war, stuck behind in this old village as the rest of the world moves on, her brother-in-law remarrying and raising her Niece in the city. That's the part that sticks with me and I want to reflect on, and examine the parallels between things like the dead fiancee and the Mr. Togo (who seems to occupy a similar role but is a bit of a drip), but then again maybe there isn't much more beyond it other than Aunt losing her fiancee to war, keeping her vow, and turning to dust in an old Japanese village, becoming a haunted house and eating up young girls that come by.

Anyway, good movie, glad I saw it, can't say I'm enamoured with it as everyone else, but definitely had fun all the same.

Do want to point out this part I saw on wikipedia though because yikes:

quote:

Actress Kimiko Ikegami was uncomfortable about a nude scene in the film. To make her more comfortable, Yoko Minamida, who had never done a nude scene before, also took off her clothes. After Obayashi saw Minamida nude, he included a topless scene for her in the film which was not in the original script.[2]

Not surprising giving the times and place, but not good.

Anyway,

List:

1. Days of Being Wild: I've already seen Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, In the Mood For Love, AND 2046, so maybe I should watch the one that started it all off.

12. I Am Cuba (1964): one of the ones from the first year film school class that I skipped on watching for no good reason but laziness

13. Five Graves to Cairo (1943): Quentin Tarantino mentioned it in his Video Archives Podcast as being contemporary speculative fiction set around WW2, or something, which was a rare find for him when he was researching for Inglorious Basterds. Seems interesting

14. Singin' in the Rain (1952): hey it turns out I love musicals, a later-in-life revelation for me. Why not see one of the top musicals of all time.

17. The Prestige (2006): over the last 17 years I have heard nothing but high praise for this, and keep meaning to watch it every time it's mentioned. Every time it's mentioned I also promptly forget it exists after a day. I know I'll probably love it, I have a rough idea of the movie and the twist, but have kept pretty well for not over spoilering it. Some day I just have to see it.

And now choices from the Roger Ebert: The Great Movies list

9. Paris, Texas: Well why not, people say good things

10. The Manchurian Candidate (1962): I remember when the remake came out, I was still pretty young and didn't see it either, but it's on the Ebert list and has Frank Sinatra in it

11. The Man Who Laughs (1928): Ebert list, and has funny face Joker face on the poster. Also have a lack of films on my list pre-1950.

15. Being There (1979)

16. Bonnie and Clyde (1967): Saw a video essay on this marking the start of New Hollywood or whatever, and I bet I'd love it

Shame no more: Days of Heaven (1978, 8/10), Psycho (1960, 8/10), The Godfather (7/10), Tangerine (7/10), Vertigo (9/10), The Conversation (9/10), Hausu (6/10) [Total:7]

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 20, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

piratepilates posted:

15. Being There (1979)

"In the garden, growth has its season. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."

Waiting for Guffman - This was a unique one that went by quickly. The film follows the local townies and their *amateurish auditions for a local production. They're in Blaine, Missouri but it feels like they're lightly lampooning Branson, Missouri, small-town syndrome and Americana to a degree.

Next come the rehearsals and the actual show. But things go awry as Guffman never shows up. I would've liked more alien abduction interviews.

*It reminded me of this show from the 1980s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfT_KfplgE Back when everyone with access to a camcorder was on the cusp of stardom.

Hesitation (133 completed):

#103 Joyless Street - One of the few films I've recommended ITT that I haven't seen (as it's been hard to track down). 3/28/22

#108 Cabiria - This old epic was supposed to get a restored Blu-ray release many years ago but it never happened. I guess I'll just watch the available version. 4/23/22

#129 Time of the Gypsies - It's been on my radar for a long time but it's been hard to track down. 11/9/22

#138 The Hitcher - I've heard it's scary. 3/13/23

new #139 Torn Curtain - Something about the Cold War. 3/21/23

Bull Durham - A baseball movie I keep putting off. I have this one linked with The Natural in my mind but I'm sure it's different. 10/10/22

The Pride of the Yankees - This one has always looked really shmaltzy but you can't judge a film from only a few snippets. 9/8/22

Variety's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time (97/100 completed):

#43 Kids - I've always heard this was controversial for some reason. 3/13/23

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zogo posted:

#138 The Hitcher - I've heard it's scary. 3/13/23

Rutger rules.

I watched Sex, Lies, and Videotape. I dug it, very cool watch. The first two thirds in particular really breezed by, really into the characters and dialogue style. The more intense last third of the movie I also liked, but I didn't feel like I connected with quite as much in some ways. But still, very cool movie, and some of the better characters for a few cool actors.

The list:

Hard Times - Looks like a better Bronson movie, said to be must see by Tarantino.

La Haine - I hear it's cool.

Trouble in Mind - keeping the 80s picks rolling.

Gridlock'd - looks like a 90s gem.

Duck Soup - keeping the comedy history thing going. Plus Nic Cage referenced Harpo recently, and he knows his stuff.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - More HK, because it's cool. Haven't seen much Gordon Liu.

Watch Out, We're Mad - Italy corner. This stars those Trinity comedy duo guys. They have a beat em up game.

The Hidden Fortress - I'd like to check out more of Kurosawa's stuff.

Companeros - some high quality Sergio spaghetti I hear.

Hooper - Boning up on Burt.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

"Even Buddha has to conquer evil."

The Hitcher - This one starts off on a dark and stormy night. Then Jim Halsey (C. Thomas Howell) picks up a sadistic serial killer. They have a series of encounters before Halsey gets arrested. From then on Rutger Hauer's character keeps swooping in to attack more police and pin the blame on him. The Hitcher has devilishly magical methods.

This is a great film if you allow for a few nonsensical turns, an incredible sequence of events and a little silliness. It's a wild (albeit preposterous) ride with nightmare logic. Simply a hardcore movie with a few false denouements to keep the viewer guessing. Definitely worth checking out if you like Road Games (1981) or Duel (1971).

Hesitation (134 completed):

#139 Torn Curtain - Something about the Cold War. 3/21/23

new #59 Vagabond - I've heard that it's amazing. 3/27/23

#43 Kids - I've always heard this was controversial for some reason. 3/13/23

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

It's a good time for a baseball movie, with Opening Day just behind us.

I watched From Here to Eternity. Knowing almost nothing about the movie going in, I hadn't realized it was one of those stories where you follow a group of people living their lives but against the backdrop of a massive historical event. So it's not really a war movie, it's more of a tragic romance where you watch these soldiers as they deal with their relationships but always with that tinge of tragedy which of course comes from the fact that you know what's coming later.

To be honest it wouldn't be my type of film except for a few very strong performances. The iconic beach scene is actually hard to fully appreciate if you don't have the context of what Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr are doing in the film. Lancaster for me was mostly just a name, an iconic actor I was aware of but knew from only a few of his later films like Field of Dreams(literally his last). But here he is basically carrying a movie with that intangible screen presence that very few actors have, and his chemistry with Kerr is fantastic. Montgomery Clift gives a strong performance as well, and the cast overall is great. What's not to like about Ernest Borgnine playing a villain named "Fatso", or self-destructive drunkard Frank Sinatra?

So overall I guess this one landed in the middle for me. It's not my usual kind of thing, but if I were going to watch a movie of this type From Here to Eternity would be an obvious choice. It's great at what it aims to do, mostly due to the actors involved.

Current List

1. The Bad News Bears: Not sure how I avoided this growing up, but I enjoy Walter Matthau as much as the next guy so I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
2. 3:10 To Yuma: The remake is a solid Western, but I've heard the original is excellent as well.
3. Chicago: Not sure if this is really considered shameful but it's still a big Oscar winning movie that I've never seen so may as well fix that, and I've become more accepting of musicals in recent years.
4. Cruising: One of the less talked about Pacino performances, but 80s New York directed by Friedkin is something I definitely need to see.
5. Oliver Twist: David Lean is one of my favorite directors so I'd like to fill in the gaps I have left with his filmography.
6. Babette's Feast: Another Oscar winner that I haven't seen, I've read that it's one of the great food movies. Tough to go wrong with a movie about food.
7. For All Mankind: I want to check this out because there's a Criterion UHD release so if I like it I may want the UHD
8. The River: I love India as a setting for film and I've read a lot of good things about this one.
9. From Here to Eternity: An iconic film that recently got a UHD release in a rather expensive box set, so I want to figure out if I like it before I consider buying it.
10. Kiki's Delivery Service: No reason to stop the Miyazaki train now!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

1. The Bad News Bears: Not sure how I avoided this growing up, but I enjoy Walter Matthau as much as the next guy so I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

I just watched one I missed out on as a kid, so I'm in the mood to hear another nostalgia-free take on a comedy.

Watched Caddyshack (1980):

This is one of the few classic '80s comedies I just missed outright. I truly can't even say I have any half-remembered viewings from when I was a kid or from catching it on cable while channel surfing. I'm certain of that now because, after watching it, not a drat thing came back to me. To be honest, even the cultural osmosis factor failed me here. I had some vague notion that Bill Murray and his droopy lip were hunting gophers on a golf course. Maybe he said "So I got that going for me, which is nice." I recognized the Kenny Loggins theme song, but I'm not even sure I knew that was from this movie. Detached from any nostalgia factor, though, this was pleasant enough, but left me feeling a little flat. It's tricky to review comedy, especially one that you didn't connect with, because there's only so many ways to say "it wasn't funny." I do think a problem here is that there was just nothing driving the movie forward. Plenty of comedies are loose frameworks upon which to hang jokes, but this one REALLY feels meandering. There's a loose plot about a young caddy (Michael O’Keefe) trying to earn some scholarship money for college, but our would-be protagonist is a dud. He just adds some loose connective tissue for the grown-ups to come in and steal the show. There are tons of different tones and types of humor in here, to the point where it feels like all the main characters are on loan from other, better movies. Rodney Dangerfield and Murray, in particular, are off in their own worlds. Their improv is the funniest stuff in the movie, but it's so disconnected. Chevy Chase is solid enough (although arguably playing against type as someone who's supposed to come across as likable). Ted Knight gets the villain role as the self-important founding member of the country club who the caddy sucks up to until having a change of heart, but any slobs versus snobs storyline here must have ended up on the cutting room floor to make room for the jokes. For example, the first half of the movie builds up to a caddies only golf tournament that our hero desperately wants to win. Then, at the mid-point, we get to the tournament and he summarily wins it in under a minute of screentime. I think we see him swing the club twice. The finale of the film, a high-stakes golf game that pits Knight and his crony against Dangerfield and Chase, isn't even proposed until the last ten minutes or so. Bet I would have loved Murray fighting the Looney Tunes gopher puppet as a kid, though.

LIST OF SHAME:
1. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939) (added 06-03-22): I need a civics lesson. I like Jimmy Stewart, but I primarily know him through his work with Alfred Hitchcock. I've actually never seen It's a Wonderful Life, either, but I'm saving that for a Christmastime viewing.
4. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (added 06-03-22): I like war films, but when we get back to the fifties and earlier we are getting to the point where I have seen a handful of classics and things by directors I like but otherwise have a lot of blind spots.
10. Brokeback Mountain (2005) (added 06-03-22): I would have to consider myself a Jake Gyllenhaal fan, and of course we lost Heath too soon. I vaguely remember finding Ang Lee pretentious and annoying in the press cycle/Oscar buzz period for the movie, which may have contributed to missing out on it at the time.
14. Come and See (1985) (added 07-13-22): I hear this could be the rare anti-war film that effectively communicates its message without glamorizing war.
15. Tokyo Story (1953) (added 07-29-22): I've never seen an Ozu film, and this is considered a masterpiece.
16. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) (added 08-08-22): Kazan and Brando's first collaboration, not to mention Brando's first Oscar nod.
17. Purple Rain (1984) (added 08-19-22): Prince's eighties run of albums was godlike, but I've never seen the purple one on the silver screen.
18. A Woman Under the Influence (1974) (added 08-31-22): The most iconic film directed by John Cassavetes, who I've thus far only seen on the other side of the camera.
19. True Stories (1986) (added 09-30-22): I've been a diehard Talking Heads fan for almost as long as I've followed pop music, but I've never seen this musical comedy, David Byrne's sole directorial credit for a feature film.
(and introducing...)
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.

SHAME OVERCOME (11 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980)

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 4, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Lancaster for me was mostly just a name, an iconic actor I was aware of but knew from only a few of his later films like Field of Dreams(literally his last). But here he is basically carrying a movie with that intangible screen presence that very few actors have, and his chemistry with Kerr is fantastic. Montgomery Clift gives a strong performance as well...

Lancaster is great in the underseen The Swimmer. And I remember liking Montgomery Clift in the esteemed but largely forgotten A Place in the Sun.

Crescent Wrench posted:

For example, the first half of the movie builds up to a caddies only golf tournament that our hero desperately wants to win. Then, at the mid-point, we get to the tournament and he summarily wins it in under a minute of screentime. I think we see him swing the club twice.

Yeah, I had the same thought when I saw it many years ago. Harold Ramis said that he didn't know what he was doing and was flying by the seat of his pants when he started directing that film.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Get a good breath of air."

Bull Durham - A pitcher with control problems (Tim Robbins) gets help from a baseball guru (Susan Sarandon) and a jaded catcher (Kevin Costner). It's basically about baseball and sex. Players wallowing in the minor leagues hoping to get to the majors. Players and their superstitions and mind games.

For a movie stuck in the sports genre it's probably oversexed. Almost like a sports bodice-ripper (which makes for a unique combo). I liked the insightful baseball quips but not the romantic bickering so much.

Also watched:

Kids - This is one that would give a lot of parents consternation. It covers a few cynical juvenile delinquents who take drugs, steal liquor and rape. In short, they're playing with all kinds of fire and are seemingly under the full control of their raging hormones. It reminded me of many candid conversations and many rumors from my high school days: teenage sex dynamics, deflowering virgins, vomiting in toilets at house parties. Hooliganism and riotous living et al.

Anyway, when Jennie (Chloë Sevigny) tests positive for HIV she sets out to locate the guy responsible. And things do not go well at all. It's a little like Mid90s (2018) and Lady Bird (2017) but those two are way more sanitized compared to this one.

new No Time to Die - The end of an era. 4/6/23

Hesitation (134 completed):

AFI's 10 Top 10 (96/100 completed):

#59 Vagabond - I've heard that it's amazing. 3/27/23

new #60 Moulin Rouge! - I've never seen a Baz Luhrmann direction. 4/6/23

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (44/50 completed):

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Kids - This is one that would give a lot of parents consternation.

I was a little young for this be on my radar as a film I'd actually watch when it came out, but I do recall one my friends tattled on his older sister after she stealthily snuck it into the family's order during a Blockbuster run. I still remember him telling us about his horror as she was watching it, and his decision to turn her in to the authorities. "Dad, she rented a sex movie!"

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I'm always curious to get reviews on horror I haven't seen.

Watched Come and See (1985):

Arguably the anti-war films to end all anti-war films, Come and See takes place during the Nazi occupation of Belarus during World War II. Our protagonist, a young teenager named Flyora, joins the resistance movement without quite seeming to know what he's signing up for. Before long, he's separated from his unit, and returns home to find that his family--in fact, his entire village--has been massacred. From there, he's just doing the best he can to survive, sometimes on his own, sometimes with companions, but always confronted with an unflinching, first-hand look at the horrors of war. Analyzing this film does bring to mind Truffaut's hoary, oft-misquoted musings on the difficulty of making an anti-war film. But Truffaut died a year before Come and See was released, and it may just prove him wrong. Part of this is because Come and See avoids spending any real time on combat, which a century of wars films have demonstrated the camera can't help but make exciting. I don't think Flyora even fires his gun until the ending (which we'll get to). The violence here is sometimes swift, sometimes agonizingly drawn out, but always brutal. And, of course, having such a young protagonist is extremely effective. Flyora is lost and powerless throughout the film, unable to wrap his mind around the enormity of war and genocide. And I was often thinking of Grave of the Fireflies, another World War II film which focuses on the perspective of children (and which I found perhaps even more gut-wrenching than this). Narrative aside, the film is consistently visually striking in the way it mixes a kind of drab color palette made up of earth tones with varied cinematography. The film spends it's runtime in the dirt and the muck of forest militia camps and burned-out villages, but there's a compelling blend of the real and the surreal, the objective and the subjective. Some shots are straightforward, but then the camera takes time to linger on a tight close-up of someone's face fraught with emotion, or slips into a POV, or some other impressionistic technique. And then there's that ending, in which Flyora finally fires his gun... at a portrait of Hitler, causing him to see Hitler's life in reverse, back until his infancy, at which point Flyora breaks down and cries. He's been through too much. He knows it's not that easy.

LIST OF SHAME:
21. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) (added 04-03-23): A big influence on my favorite film, The Royal Tenenbaums.
(and introducing...)
22. M (1931) (added 04-21-23): I've seen Metropolis ages ago, but never this crime film (which sounds like extremely heavy subject matter for the time period, as well).

SHAME OVERCOME (12 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

Analyzing this film does bring to mind Truffaut's hoary, oft-misquoted musings on the difficulty of making an anti-war film. But Truffaut died a year before Come and See was released, and it may just prove him wrong. Part of this is because Come and See avoids spending any real time on combat, which a century of wars films have demonstrated the camera can't help but make exciting.

When I think of antiwar films the first two that come to mind are usually Red Angel (1966) and Johnny Got His Gun (1971). I know that Truffaut liked the latter film.

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Life's a bitch."

Dead of Night - A group of people meet at a cottage. They then share and recount a bunch of creepy and odd stories with each other. It's so heavy on dialogue that it could've been released as a radio drama.

While I found the stories more funny than scary it's easy to see how it's been extremely influential on the genre to this very day. I could list dozens of films and TV shows I was reminded of but simply saying that it feels like a precursor of The Twilight Zone (1959-1964) both in form and content gives it a lot of stature.

Also watched:

Vagabond - It's a postmortem analysis of the life of a drifter/squatter and a look at her downward spiral. It's a mixture of mystery and social tragedy. And every character shares a piece of her life. So the story is recounted in a unique way.

I was reminded of And Your Mother Too (2001) and Jules and Jim (1962). Two other films that really drive home the reality of mortality in a personal way. Unlike the more common kind of film that treats death lightly.

No Time to Die - The end of an era. 4/6/23

Hesitation (135 completed):

new #140 The Swamp (2001) - I haven't heard anything about this but recently it's been appearing on lists as one of the best films of this century. 4/23/23

Variety's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time (98/100 completed):

#60 Moulin Rouge! - I've never seen a Baz Luhrmann direction. 4/6/23

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (44/50 completed):

new #39 Empire Records - I've heard both good things and bad things about this one. 4/23/23

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 23, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Zogo posted:

new #39 Empire Records - I've heard both good things and bad things about this one. 4/23/23

My sister bought this movie when I was a kid and I loved watching it, lots of fun parts, the music is great, my introduction to Gwar. I think I secretly had a crush on Ethan Embry.

I can't say its good good, it might not hold up as a full movie, but I still think it will be a great little flick encapsulating a time and vibe, one that doesn't really exist in the same way anymore, a little low or mid budget artifact of the 90s.

Zogo posted:

piratepilates posted:

15. Being There (1979)

"In the garden, growth has its season. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."

Boy this guy's a friggin' idiot, huh?

Anyway, in a more serious note I watched it last night and did enjoy it. Everyone's performance is great, shot nicely, funny little story, gut feeling for me solid 7/10. I liked it but I wasn't enamoured with it, after the first 10, 15, 20 minutes you get the sense of where it's going and it's the same note every time, it kind of felt like a quick comedy sketch played out over 2 hours, which I'm not holding against it. I'm not sure this kind of movie would get made anymore, I think it's a tough sell to produce it off this concept, and this kind of gradual, meditative, mid-budget movie is a dying breed.

I've been rewatching The West Wing lately and there's a weird parallel I feel between the two. The West Wing follows the work of top white house staffers, namely two camps: the Chief of Staff and his team (the ones who tell the president what he can/should do), and the communications team (who tell the president what and how he should say things, and what they say on his behalf). The CoS part is the most enticing to me in the show because it concerns what actions the president should take, what his options are, what practical things he can do in situations that can cause mass relief or mass grievance. The communications team part I feel is much more awkward, their work in the show is treated with the same exuberance and respect as the CoS but ultimately all they're doing is figuring out how to deliver a message to the public (good), and how to avoid negative news about the president that will hurt his chances of re-election. I don't particularly feel for them when they have to tell the nation that the president covered up having a major medical condition during his campaign, nor when they will have to tell the public that the president ordered an assassination of a foreign minister. Those are bad things, that he should rightfully pay the cost of doing. How that news is best (best for them) delivered to the public is a necessary task, but it's not noble, it's laundering wrongdoing through propaganda.

And there's parts of that in Being There too, when the president is consulting the decrepit cryptkeeper of industry about his speech, and Chauncey Gardiner is there seeping out a cryptic analogy about gardening. Everyone is convinced he's a genius, and he's led on to national TV to be asked about things he has absolutely no conception of, and at the end he's about to be groomed to be the new president. The whole thing is hollow, he's an idiot, he doesn't know a damned thing, the maid is absolutely right in her speech, he has no brains at all. Everyone in the movie is imprinting their own inner thoughts and desires on to him, he's a blank slate ready to be filled with their conception of the world around them. He's primed to be elected to the top office because he says meaningless but nice sounding platitudes on TV, in a way that people think is meaningful, inspiring even? What he means in those contexts, the actual message Chance himself wants to impart, doesn't matter, he has no ideas, no understanding of anything, he's an empty vessel, eager to be filled by TV, with no curiosity of the world. His nonexistent ideals also don't matter to everyone else, they're eager to hear what they want to hear and impart it with all the meaning they have themselves. What he's doing is meaningless to the world, how he says it means the world.

The one part I shamefully don't really understand is the walking on water at the end. The direct connection would be that he's Jesus or God or something, but I don't see that connecting with anything else in the movie. It felt to me more like a cartoon character running off a cliff and not falling immediately, not until they realize that gravity is supposed to apply to them and they plummet. Does he simply not understand that he's supposed to fall through the water, so it doesn't happen?

List:

1. Days of Being Wild: I've already seen Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, In the Mood For Love, AND 2046, so maybe I should watch the one that started it all off.

12. I Am Cuba (1964): one of the ones from the first year film school class that I skipped on watching for no good reason but laziness

13. Five Graves to Cairo (1943): Quentin Tarantino mentioned it in his Video Archives Podcast as being contemporary speculative fiction set around WW2, or something, which was a rare find for him when he was researching for Inglorious Basterds. Seems interesting

14. Singin' in the Rain (1952): hey it turns out I love musicals, a later-in-life revelation for me. Why not see one of the top musicals of all time.

17. The Prestige (2006): over the last 17 years I have heard nothing but high praise for this, and keep meaning to watch it every time it's mentioned. Every time it's mentioned I also promptly forget it exists after a day. I know I'll probably love it, I have a rough idea of the movie and the twist, but have kept pretty well for not over spoilering it. Some day I just have to see it.

18. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1: I didn't keep up with the Marvels when they were coming out, I saw The Avengers in theatres, and Iron Man at home a year ago. I get the feeling I'll like this one, and I get the feeling it will be remembered, far in the future of a post-Marvel desolate future, as one of the ones that holds up.

And now choices from the Roger Ebert: The Great Movies list

9. Paris, Texas: Well why not, people say good things

10. The Manchurian Candidate (1962): I remember when the remake came out, I was still pretty young and didn't see it either, but it's on the Ebert list and has Frank Sinatra in it

11. The Man Who Laughs (1928): Ebert list, and has funny face Joker face on the poster. Also have a lack of films on my list pre-1950.

16. Bonnie and Clyde (1967): Saw a video essay on this marking the start of New Hollywood or whatever, and I bet I'd love it

Shame no more: Days of Heaven (1978, 8/10), Psycho (1960, 8/10), The Godfather (7/10), Tangerine (7/10), Vertigo (9/10), The Conversation (9/10), Hausu (6/10), Being There (1979, 7/10) [Total:8]

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

piratepilates posted:

The one part I shamefully don't really understand is the walking on water at the end. The direct connection would be that he's Jesus or God or something, but I don't see that connecting with anything else in the movie. It felt to me more like a cartoon character running off a cliff and not falling immediately, not until they realize that gravity is supposed to apply to them and they plummet. Does he simply not understand that he's supposed to fall through the water, so it doesn't happen?

I think you've grasped most of the film well. The film has a lot to say about TV and mass media. How billions of people will accredit a lot to a person for just being on TV. It can give someone a lot of stature even if they're vapid, shallow or callow. It kind of reminds me of 1984 (1984) in that regard. How many live their lives obsessively following some event from a distant land which has nothing to do with them or fixating on people they'll never meet.

As far as the ending. There are many different interpretations. I haven't thought about it for a long time but I don't ever recall being 100% set on one interpretation.

It was the MotM many years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2202956

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 12, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Zogo posted:

I think you've grasped most of the film well. The film has a lot to say about TV and mass media. How billions of people will accredit a lot to a person for just being on TV. It can give someone a lot of stature even if they're vapid, shallow or callow. It kind of reminds me of 1984 (1984) in that regard. How many live their lives obsessively following some event from a distant land which has nothing to do with them or fixating on people they'll never meet.

As far as the ending. There are many different interpretations. I haven't thought about it for a long time but I don't ever recall being 100% set on one interpretation.

It was the MotM many years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2202956

Ah awesome, I've gotta give that a read, thanks.

edit: 2006, man it's weird reading old threads and seeing these avatars I recognize but haven't seen post in ages :smith:

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 12, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I love Being There and think it's probably Sellers' best performance. Gotta give that one a re-watch actually.

OP nailed the concept of projection and the idea of hopeful people ascribing tendencies to blank slates and quiet, seemingly thoughtful people, that they WANT to see. You can draw parallels there with Barrack Obama and even Donald Trump really, even though the latter is far from quiet or a blank slate. There's a real subdued, somewhat detached fellow I work with that everyone likes but no one really knows a god damned thing about because he's so quiet and so loving nice about it. Not standoffish or arrogant, just not chatty or as verbose as some others.

The ending is just a clever metaphor. At least that's how I saw it anyway.

Where they built this totally oblivious moron into something larger than life, to the point that it concludes as a Christ allegory. Or it can be read that Chauncey had actually unlocked the secret meaning of life and walked on water simply because he was too aloof to realize that he couldn't or was even doing it at all. In some ways, it's a precursor to Forrest Gump and the idea of failing upwards through life via avoiding the trappings, painted in corners, phoniness and pitfalls of the things that "smart" people have to do and the ways they compromise their integrity and their values or just outright lie to achieve "success" - and whatever that might mean. It's a better film than that one but they share a central meaning of simplicity and honesty I think.

Chauncey tells the truth the entire time and people project meaning into his inanity.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 13, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

You can draw parallels there with Barrack Obama and even Donald Trump really, even though the latter is far from quiet or a blank slate.

Yes, I believe it extends to everyone who's recognizable on TV to varying degrees (all over the world). It's a little over-the-top but this scene so well captures the id related to political enemies in many countries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvGmOZ5T6_Y

BiggerBoat posted:

The ending is just a clever metaphor. At least that's how I saw it anyway.

I remember the realist interpretation being that he's just walking on a submerged pier.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I remember the realist interpretation being that he's just walking on a submerged pier.

Ebert got pissed off about that in his "Great Movies" review:

Roger Ebert posted:

When I taught the film, I had endless discussions with my students over this scene. Many insisted on explaining it: He is walking on a hidden sandbar, the water is only half an inch deep, there is a submerged pier, etc. "Not valid!'' I thundered. "The movie presents us with an image, and while you may discuss the meaning of the image it is not permitted to devise explanations for it. Since Ashby does not show a pier, there is no pier--a movie is exactly what it shows us, and nothing more,'' etc.

Which is a tad more, ahem, nuanced than his original review:

Roger Ebert posted:

Sellers wasn't warped by television, he was retarded to begin with

:raise:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

piratepilates posted:

18. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1: I didn't keep up with the Marvels when they were coming out, I saw The Avengers in theatres, and Iron Man at home a year ago. I get the feeling I'll like this one, and I get the feeling it will be remembered, far in the future of a post-Marvel desolate future, as one of the ones that holds up.

"Your partnership with Thanos is at risk. Thanos requires your presence. Now!"

Empire Records - The film opens with an employee closing a record store for the night. He then decides to steal ~$9,000 and gamble in Atlantic City. The next morning the manager decides against calling the police for some reason. So it's kind of a preposterous opening premise.

There are other nonsensical contrivances which are mainly driven by the young workers of the store. A remarkable motley crew of ditzy, knuckleheaded imbeciles and goof-offs.

The film taps into that independent store vs. corporatism dichotomy a little bit but it's left mostly unexplored. It's much more focused on fickle romance and lampooning awestruck music fans.

Also watched:

No Time to Die - Bond has retired but gets pulled back in once again. This time the villains are using bioweapons to assassinate people. SPECTRE is decimated by nanobots. It seems like a timely topic in the midst of so much COVID conspiracy talk.

Many of the recent entries have had characters who do a lot of dime-store moralizing. People arguing over who is more corrupt etc. Lots of great individual action sequences but it jumps around in time a lot and at nearly three hours long it feels bloated. The longest Bond film ever. Also, the final decisions made by our protagonist felt a little odd.

59 hours of Bond completed. :eyepop: Now that I've seen all of them I believe the one I'd be most likely to revisit would be From Russia With Love.

James Bond versus Godzilla (51/64 completed):

Hesitation (135 completed):

#140 The Swamp (2001) - I haven't heard anything about this but recently it's been appearing on lists as one of the best films of this century. 4/23/23

new #141 Nostalgia - The last major Tarkovsky film that I haven't seen. 5/15/23

Variety's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time (98/100 completed):

#60 Moulin Rouge! - I've never seen a Baz Luhrmann direction. 4/6/23

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (45/50 completed):

new #28 MacGruber - Not sure what this one is about. 5/15/23

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kudos on all the Bonds! And shout-out to Godzilla.

Been rewatching some of both those fine series lately. I would enjoy a crossover of those two way more than another King Kong crossover, no disrespect to Kong. The first IDW Godzilla comic series did star a character who looked like Jason Statham. Statham for Bond in 007 v Godzilla, book it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Kudos on all the Bonds! And shout-out to Godzilla.

Been rewatching some of both those fine series lately. I would enjoy a crossover of those two way more than another King Kong crossover, no disrespect to Kong. The first IDW Godzilla comic series did star a character who looked like Jason Statham. Statham for Bond in 007 v Godzilla, book it.

There are still so many Godzilla films left to watch including three animated ones on Netflix.

I could imagine some mixture of Moonraker and Invasion of Astro-Monster working in the 1970s. Or maybe Son of Godzilla with Bond babysitting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

new #141 Nostalgia - The last major Tarkovsky film that I haven't seen. 5/15/23

Sorry to pick your newest entry but I love Tarkovsky.

As usual I watched my assignment like multiple weeks ago and just totally forgot to post about it. The Bad News Bears was very charming just in it's genuineness, which is so often lacking in this type of sports movie. Walter Matthau is genuinely a dick, it's not like he gets a few little token rear end in a top hat moments to establish his character, no he's a dick throughout and when the movie ends he's still a dick(a dick who learned a few things). The ending is definitely something I'd heard about in terms of how unusual it is and that was another thing that added a sense of reality to the movie. Things don't usually work out so you get that perfect Disney ending, but you can still feel good about personal victories.

It's a movie that obviously is of it's time, so much like The Goonies and countless other 70s/80s films there are some out of date moments that are considered offensive today. Still, the heart of the thing can definitely still be felt and the overall message is a good one.

Current List

2. 3:10 To Yuma: The remake is a solid Western, but I've heard the original is excellent as well.
3. Chicago: Not sure if this is really considered shameful but it's still a big Oscar winning movie that I've never seen so may as well fix that, and I've become more accepting of musicals in recent years.
4. Cruising: One of the less talked about Pacino performances, but 80s New York directed by Friedkin is something I definitely need to see.
5. Oliver Twist: David Lean is one of my favorite directors so I'd like to fill in the gaps I have left with his filmography.
6. Babette's Feast: Another Oscar winner that I haven't seen, I've read that it's one of the great food movies. Tough to go wrong with a movie about food.
7. For All Mankind: I want to check this out because there's a Criterion UHD release so if I like it I may want the UHD
8. The River: I love India as a setting for film and I've read a lot of good things about this one.
9. From Here to Eternity: An iconic film that recently got a UHD release in a rather expensive box set, so I want to figure out if I like it before I consider buying it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

And no reason not to give you another animated film!

Watched Purple Rain (1984):

Prince was already a star by the summer of 1984, but Purple Rain made him a phenomenon. The film was a solid box office hit--number 12 for the year--but it's the soundtrack album that has truly endured. It's one of the best-selling albums of all-time, and it gave Prince his first two number one hits in "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy"--shockingly, the title track stalled out at number two behind Wham!'s "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go." But we're here to talk about the movies. It's a semi-autobiographical tale starring Prince as The Kid, a Minneapolis musician. The Kid is the frontman of The Revolution, one of the house bands at a popular club, but a rival band leader, Morris Day of the Time, is trying to push him out. (Day, like pretty much everyone but Prince, plays a fictionalized version of himself using his real name.) And The Kid's got personal problems, too--Apollonia, a young aspiring singer, has just rolled into town, and The Kid and Day are vying for her affections. And The Kid's home life is a wreck, with an abusive father terrorizing The Kid and his mother. Yes, The Kid lives at home, which leads to bizarre sequences where he walks off stage, hops on his custom purple motorcycle, and pulls up in a driveway in the suburbs. But the film is full of oddities like this. Some of them are charming--it's pretty funny having this rockstar's girlfriend sneak in through his bedroom window so they don't wake up the parents. Other times it's pretty jarring. There are heavy themes like spousal abuse and suicide, but at one point Day and his lackey do what amounts to an extended riff on the classic "Who's on first?" bit. These things don't work in the same story. This probably sounds like I'm knocking the film way more than I intend to, because it's a great time. This is just to say it's not the tightest script in the world, but it more than gets by on Prince's charisma and songs. You hear every track on the album in the movie, usually via live sequences at the club. The film opens with an extended performance of "Let's Go Crazy" that's like a music video, and there isn't even any proper dialogue for 7 or 8 minutes. The film is largely building up to The Kid accepting help from his bandmates, which leads to him writing and performing "Purple Rain" and saving his career. This is the climax of the story, but the film takes a victory lap with a literal encore then The Kid comes back out and plays two more songs to take us to the credits. These songs are classics, although I will say I never singled out "The Beautiful Ones" as a highlight track on record, but it's inclusion in this movie really pops. This isn't just for Prince fans, though. Any fan of rock films will appreciate it.

LIST OF SHAME:
22. M (1931) (added 04-21-23): I've seen Metropolis ages ago, but never this crime film (which sounds like extremely heavy subject matter for the time period, as well).
(and introducing...)
23. Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989) (added 06-11-23): Soderbergh's debut is a landmark indepedent film, not to mention a Palme d'Or winner.

SHAME OVERCOME (13 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm a huge Prince fan with a special place in my heart for Purple Rain, but it's not a good movie.

The acting is laughable at times, there's a ton of misogony and I'm not convinced that the Kid's redemption is entirely earned. It's got a lot of problems but the musical numbers are electric and the star oozes the charisma on screen that he'll be known for forever. It's a bit of a time capsule, right place/right time thing.

The best only good Prince movie is Sign O the Times though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Look, when I came here, my eyes were big blue question marks. Now they're big green dollar marks."

Nostalgia - This one covers a few characters deep in thought and their musings and neuroses regarding life, death and the past. It also explores cultural differences between Italy and Russia but more broadly the East and the West. There's a realization that things can't always be translated between different cultures, languages and times.

Tarkovsky once again demonstrates his ability to capture very memorable images. It's remarkable how he can take a bunch of darkly lit drab rooms and turn them into beautiful paintings. Anyway, a poet confronts a recluse who imparts some thoughts. He's one of those contemplative sages so deep in his thoughts that he's effectively retreated from society.

I've continuously observed that many people (regardless of ideology) are hopelessly pining for "the good old days." But the past is an illusion. I was reminded of these two quotes:

"No man ever steps in the same river twice." -Heraclitus

"Life can only be understood by looking backward; but it must be lived looking forward." -Soren Kierkegaard

The film is an elegy at times and it seems that Tarkovsky is being heavily personal and biographical about aging and regrets. I'm sure some viewers will tire of all the poetics and plodding soliloquies but it leaves a lot to think about.

Also watched:

Moulin Rouge! - At its core it's a familiar love triangle story with a rich Duke and a poor writer fighting over a cunning courtesan. Shades of what's found in Titanic (1997). But the key difference here is that it's visually imaginative from the start and ridiculously overproduced. There are so many cuts that one is left without much time to breathe. This frenetic pace continues for most of the film and at times it seems things are moving at twice the normal speed. I'd bet some viewers have taken issue with how far things are pushed in this direction but that's what can make films special from other art forms. Filmmakers breaking boundaries and pushing the envelope.

There's also an intense explosion of pop music and cliched love songs that runs throughout the film. In the end it's so operatic and tragic that it becomes draining. I was reminded of Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (2004) in this regard. A film with a much different subject but one that ultimately left me feeling the same way.

The Swamp - This one takes a look at a few boozy and lazy summer days in Argentina. A few families are vacationing there in Salta. It captures the slow and candid lifestyle found in films like Claire's Knee (1970) and Swimming Pool (2003) pretty well.

Despite the film being bookended by a couple of accidents there are perhaps too many slice of life moments. Many will be left waiting for more pivotal moments and familiar beats that never come. OTOH, that's kind of what makes the film unique. Characters living in cluttered spaces, bedridden and transfixed by their televisions.

Hesitation (137 completed):

new #142 The Tin Drum - Sounds like an odd one but it has a lot of fans. 6/14/23

new #143 Payback (1999) - It was recommended to me years ago. 6/14/23

Variety's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

new #11 Rushmore - Another classic case of procrastination. 6/14/23

#28 MacGruber - Not sure what this one is about. 5/15/23

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo, you get Torn Curtain, an underrated Hitchcock.

Just finished Daughters of the Dust. Strikingly beautiful movie though I'll admit to be a bit lost during it. I don't know that I made an emotional connection with this one so much as I appreciated its visual and dramatic effect. There's an ethereal, ghostly nature to the movie, and setting it almost entirely outdoors on the beach makes it feel almost like a sort of purgatory for these characters. Wish I had more to say about this one but I did enjoy it.

I also watched News from Home, which I quite liked though it did stretch on a bit long (I think Akerman's Je Tu Il Elle should be getting more recognition in these polls). Beautiful street photography, particularly the subways with their green and pink lighting that feels truly from another time.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures Don't They 2023 (550/1,000):

Children of Paradise (1945) - Also the film that has been on my personal watchlist for the longest!

Late Spring (1949) - Been a long time since I’ve sat down with Ozu. Maybe as I get older I’ll click with him more, as it is I more appreciated than really loved him when I watched some of his stuff in college.

Journey to Italy (1954) - Rossellini is one of those old masters I barely got my toes wet with when I first discovered film. Time to return.

Imitation of Life (1959) - I adored All That Heaven Allows but somehow that never pushed me into a Sirk kick. A lot of people say this is even better.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962) - Among my most shameful blindspots. A classic of the French New Wave I have no excuse for not seeing.

Wanda (1970) - I know this one got “rediscovered” in the past few years but I don’t know too much about it. I’ve heard Cassavetes comparisons?

Amarcord (1973) - Been a long time since I've watched any Fellini.

Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) - This sounds like the type of film that is 100% up my alley but the length is the only reason I’ve never watched it.

Shoah (1985) - I’ve gotta start it sooner or later.

Tropical Malady (2004) - I've enjoyed the Weerasethakul I've seen, although perhaps unsurprisingly he can be a bit of a challenge to settle into. Optimistic I'm going to like this one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Journey to Italy (1954) - Rossellini is one of those old masters I barely got my toes wet with when I first discovered film. Time to return.

"Uncle Homer was not a normal person."

Torn Curtain - The film starts off with a barrage of oddly upbeat music. It's an unfolding mystery as a nuclear scientist (Paul Newman) defects to East Germany ostensibly to end nuclear warfare between the USSR and USA but this is a ruse. He's really searching for secret formulas. His relationship with his fiancée (Julie Andrews) mirrors that of the one found in True Lies (1994) at times. It also shares some of the intrigue and fish out of water elements found in North by Northwest (1959).

The later parts mainly cover an extended bus ride and escape to Sweden. The desire to leave East Germany is stressed and underlined through various characters.

It's from a bygone era in many respects. Karl Marx and Cuban cigars aren't as taboo as they were in the 1960s. Geopolitics has changed drastically since then of course. And things are always far more complex than the gossipy political blurbs one reads in the news today. The Berlin Wall is gone, the Iron Curtain has fallen, the Cold War is over but the specter of nuclear warfare remains ever-present.

Hesitation (138 completed):

#142 The Tin Drum - Sounds like an odd one but it has a lot of fans. 6/14/23

#143 Payback (1999) - It was recommended to me years ago. 6/14/23

new #144 The Phantom of Liberty - Sounds kind of like The Meaning of Life. 6/22/23

#11 Rushmore - Another classic case of procrastination. 6/14/23

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 22, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

#11 Rushmore - Another classic case of procrastination. 6/14/23

Perfect time to take care of this one considering Anderson has a new movie out this month.

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service. It was a really nice, relaxing movie to watch on a Saturday and I enjoyed the fact that the stakes were relatively low. It's very easy to just slide into the Miyazaki visuals and enjoy how much character there is in every scene, and in the case of Kiki's Delivery Service there's not much pressure to follow a plot. It's the kind of movie you could pick up watching at any point, you're enjoying Kiki trying to make her way in the world and that's really all there is to the movie but you don't need anything else.

I probably do learn more towards the adventure side of Miyazaki's filmography, i.e. Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, but I really appreciate that he often turned his talent on simpler, charming stories like this one. There's a particular mood that lends itself to watching something like Kiki's Delivery Service and it's not the same as when you want to sit down with something more action/adventure oriented.

Current List with some new entries:

1. Giant: I don't think this is all that well known but I do want to experience a bit more of James Dean's work and so far all I've seen is Rebel Without a Cause.
3. Footloose: Don't ask me how, just somehow never got around to actually watching it
9. Network: I know the iconic scene but that's about it
10. Porco Rosso: Maybe not the Miyazaki that I hear about the most but it does fall in between Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke, and it sounds pretty goofy and fun.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

9. Network: I know the iconic scene but that's about it

"But, man, you're never gonna get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you wanna hear. We lie like hell. We'll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer and that nobody ever gets cancer in Archie Bunker's house. And no matter how much trouble the hero is in, don't worry, just look at your watch. At the end of the hour he's going to win. We'll tell you any poo poo you want to hear."

Rushmore - The protagonist (Jason Schwartzman) reminded me of a few people I knew back in high school. School was more of a social club than an academic endeavor. He typifies that kind of guy who excels at networking and leading but doesn't care much about his actual grades. So on the surface a bad student but perhaps just not cut out for the regimented kind of life.

Later he pursues a relationship with an older teacher at the academy. But age and grief are the natural barriers that stunt this relationship. Blume (Bill Murray) feuding with him is a reminder that adults can act childish and that sometimes being older does not mean being wiser. I was reminded of Brick (2005) at times. Another film featuring kids making attempts at adulting.

Hesitation (138 completed):

#143 Payback (1999) - It was recommended to me years ago. 6/14/23

#144 The Phantom of Liberty - Sounds kind of like The Meaning of Life. 6/22/23

new #145 Kiss of the Spider Woman - I have seen many Spider-Man films but no Spider Woman films. I've always had this linked with Children of a Lesser God in my mind. 7/1/23

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (46/50 completed):

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo Never saw any on your list, but random number generator says to watch Joyless Street

Took a while to get, but I finally saw Inland Empire. Very hard to understand Lynch movie, but all his films are like that. Really enjoyed it. Laura Dern does a good job as Nikki/Susan. Very convoluted. I still am quite lost in what happened. But I liked it and would recommend it.

My List:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - This will be my John Wayne spot for now.

The Greatest Showman - My daughter recommended this one.

In the Heat of the Night - No, haven't seen this yet.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.OLDEST

Battleship Potempkin - Don't know much about this one.

Pelle the Conquerer - Big fan of Max Von Sydow. Need to see more of his work.

The Road to El Dorado - Heard a lot about this movie, Looking forward to seeing it.

White Christmas - Just saw Holiday Inn. Looking forward to seeing this film

Star Trek: Nemesis - This is the only Star Trek movie I haven't seen. I haven't heard good things about it, but I'll give it a shot.

Wild at Heart - Keeping the David Lynch fest going. NEWEST

Ocean's 11 - A slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. This is the original with Frank Sinatra.

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 13, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dmitri Russkie, you get The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Bullitt: The famous car chase absolutely lives up to its reputation. Amazing stuff. McQueen is always cool and the score by Lalo Alcaraz is fun. The rest of the movie I could take or leave. I had a hard time following it.

Also watched:
Lolita: Peter Sellers was fun and his part feels like a trial run for Dr. Strangelove. Overall I didn’t care for this though. The story is thin and I lost interest.

The General: This movie rules. Trains rule. Stunts rule. My only complaint, which is a substantial one, is Keaton changing the story to be pro-Confederate. But if you can set that aside, it’s as enjoyable a silent film as I’ve seen.

The List:

1. Cleo from 5 to 7: Started cracking into the Agnes Varda Criterion box earlier this year but got distracted when I got to this one.

2. Andrei Rublev: More Tarkovsky.

3. Sanjuro: More Kurosawa

4. McCabe and Mrs. Miller: Just making this my Western slot.

NEW 5. Bicycle Thieves: I think this topped the sight and sound list for a while before Citizen Kane became the consensus.

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie. As of 2020 I have seen a few Wes Anderson movies.

NEW 7. Pather Pachali: I’ve watched a shamefully small number of Indian films.

8. Jeanne Dielman: The newly crowned Greatest Movie of All Time. I didn’t feel like typing out the whole title.

9. 8 1/2: I've scrolled past this on Criterion Channel so many times.

NEW 10. Playtime: Never seen a Tati film

Watched (73): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain, Witness for the Prosecution, Se7en, The Wild Bunch, Oklahoma!, Cool Hand Luke, Paths of Glory, The Night of the Hunter, Blood Simple, Eyes Wide Shut, Memories of Murder, Sunset Boulevard, City Lights, The Artist, The Hudsucker Proxy, Stalker, Barry Lyndon, Stagecoach, Solaris, Reds, The King’s Speech, The Seventh Seal, The Man Who Wasn't There, Throne of Blood, Tokyo Story, Akira, North Dallas Forty, Touch of Evil, The Piano, Bullitt, Lolita, The General

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

NEW 5. Bicycle Thieves: I think this topped the sight and sound list for a while before Citizen Kane became the consensus.

"Thief! Thief!"

The Joyless Street - A look at Vienna, Austria circa 1921 during the aftermath of WWI and hyperinflation. We get a glimpse at the impetus that would later give rise to Hitlerism. People living in destitution, unemployed and homeless. Constant scenes of the rich juxtaposed against scenes of the poor. For most of the 2.5 hours the film just oozes out scenes of misery.

Some of the villains include a butcher who hands out food for sexual favors, stock manipulators and womanizing bosses. Classism is rampant and the poor are driven into prostitution, escorting and stripping all while the rich remain above the law. The styles and materials have changed but the dynamics of the world haven't.

Also watched:

Payback - Porter (Mel Gibson) has been betrayed and left for dead. But he's driven to get all the money that was stolen from him. He goes to illogical and ridiculous lengths to do it. Even if it means sinking deeper and deeper into the criminal lifestyle.

It has an edge to it from the beginning. The protagonist has a perverted morality so he has no qualms stealing from the poor or being rough with his heroin-addicted wife. He's in a deceptive world of crooked cops and wealthy gangsters.

The ending was a decent surprise but the score was too cheerful. It feels like the editors were trying to lighten up this very dark film.

Pixote - Pixote is a young boy who's been locked inside a rough prison with a bunch of other teenagers. They're basically an army of juvenile delinquents who go up against the crooked prison staff. Most of them have disappointed and/or neglectful parents who occasionally visit. I was reminded of Bad Boys (1983) a lot during the first half.

Halfway through the film shifts gears as a few boys escape to freedom. It then becomes more like The Young and the Damned (1950). They take part in drug deals, murders and prostitution to name a few misdeeds. It's a gritty and grimy look at all kinds of crime. One recurring motif is that the young criminals are protected by the law (as they're under eighteen) and they know it. They can do all kinds of things without fear of being locked up for decades.

It's full of interesting characters. And as the film draws to a close it's a reminder that many of these kids were severely neglected. Tragedy is rarely this beautiful.

Hesitation (140 completed):

#145 Kiss of the Spider Woman - I have seen many Spider-Man films but no Spider Woman films. I've always had this linked with Children of a Lesser God in my mind. 7/1/23

new #146 The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - Probably the biggest Hitchcock film I haven't seen. 7/17/23

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (46/50 completed):

Entertainment Weekly's Top 50 Cult Movies (44/50 completed):

new #39 The Best of Everything - Going into this one completely blind. 7/17/23

new #45 Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story - Doesn't sound like the typical biopic. 7/17/23

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 17, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Zogo, the only one of your list I’ve seen is MacGruber, so enjoy!

Bicycle Thieves: When Bruno is in his lil coveralls fixing up the bike and complaining about the dents from the pawn shop and doing 🤌, that to me is cinema. The story was about what I expected but the ending definitely hits. I had my bike stolen once and it was a bummer but not to this extent!

The List:

1. Cleo from 5 to 7: Started cracking into the Agnes Varda Criterion box earlier this year but got distracted when I got to this one.

2. Andrei Rublev: More Tarkovsky.

3. Sanjuro: More Kurosawa

4. McCabe and Mrs. Miller: Just making this my Western slot.

NEW 5. The Great Dictator: I could probably stand to see more Chaplin

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie. As of 2020 I have seen a few Wes Anderson movies.

7. Pather Pachali: I’ve watched a shamefully small number of Indian films.

8. Jeanne Dielman: The newly crowned Greatest Movie of All Time. I didn’t feel like typing out the whole title.

9. 8 1/2: I've scrolled past this on Criterion Channel so many times.

10. Playtime: Never seen a Tati film

Watched (74): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain, Witness for the Prosecution, Se7en, The Wild Bunch, Oklahoma!, Cool Hand Luke, Paths of Glory, The Night of the Hunter, Blood Simple, Eyes Wide Shut, Memories of Murder, Sunset Boulevard, City Lights, The Artist, The Hudsucker Proxy, Stalker, Barry Lyndon, Stagecoach, Solaris, Reds, The King’s Speech, The Seventh Seal, The Man Who Wasn't There, Throne of Blood, Tokyo Story, Akira, North Dallas Forty, Touch of Evil, The Piano, Bullitt, Lolita, The General, Bicycle Thieves

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

"Let me tell you about my boat."

MacGruber - The basic story is that a nuclear warhead has been stolen from Russia and will be targeting the 2010 State of the Union. MacGruber needs to come out of retirement to thwart this plan. And also to play lots of 1980s pop music.

It's a very parodic sendup of many of the tough guy/hypermasculine movies of yesteryear. I found the humor often fell into the hit-and-miss category. Very much like Saturday Night Live itself.

I heard this was based on MacGyver (1985-1992) but it seems to diverge from that as MacGyver was against violence while MacGruber is decidedly not. So for fans of the original show this one may come across as bastardized and bowdlerized to a degree.

Also watched:

Kiss of the Spider Woman - Two prisoners are trapped in a cell (one for politics and one for sex). One is a realist and one is a fantasist. One spends a lot of time recounting a WWII film he saw as a way of escapism (and to remember life on the outside). At times they're a bickering odd couple who taunt each other. But they eventually bond.

The politics are barely touched on and there's barely any Spider Woman footage but it fully delivers. The mixture of prison scenes, imagined film scenes and flashbacks make for a unique presentation and the acting of Raul Julia and William Hurt are both off the charts.

Halfway through there's a twist that I questioned at first but it led to more mysteries and other twists that worked. The final five minutes of the film are simply movie magic that nearly evokes a spiritual experience. I watched Pixote a few weeks ago and now this. So it was pure serendipity that I saw two Hector Babenco films this close together. He really knew how to end a film. I'll have to watch more from him soon.

Much more could be said...

Hesitation (141 completed):

#146 The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - Probably the biggest Hitchcock film I haven't seen. 7/17/23

new #147 Bad Timing - I've heard this mentioned a few places recently. 7/27/23

AFI's 10 Top 10 (97/100 completed):

The Ringer's 50 Best Cult Movies (47/50 completed):

Entertainment Weekly's Top 50 Cult Movies (44/50 completed):

new #37 A Bucket of Blood - I've seen A Bay of Blood but not this one. 7/27/23

#39 The Best of Everything - Going into this one completely blind. 7/17/23

#45 Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story - Doesn't sound like the typical biopic. 7/17/23

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've gotta watch my movie, I've missed two opportunities to assign Wes Anderson flicks and been beaten to the punch. But glad they're getting into circulation all the same.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Zogo posted:

Picking this one only because it's been on your list the longest :)

Well it's been nine years since my last post ITT so I'm starting a new list, half old and half new:

1.) Parasite (2019) - Looking through recent Oscar winners, I sorta can't believe I never got around to watching this. 7/28/23

2.) Gone With the Wind (1939) - Something about a fire and not giving a drat. 7/28/23

3.) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) - I claim to be a Tarantino fan, generally, but I haven't seen this or Hateful Eight. 7/28/23

4.) The Wizard of Oz (1939) - I've probably seen this whole movie over the course of my life, but I've never sat and watched the whole thing. 7/28/23

5.) The Northman (2022) - Loved \/\/\/\/Itch and The Lighthouse. 7/28/23

6.) City Lights (1931) - Next up on the AFI list, honestly I haven't seen much Chaplin but I hear he's ok. 7/28/23

7.) Licorice Pizza (2021) - I love PTA but this is one of a couple I've yet to see. 7/28/23

8.) The Searchers (1956) - I know nothing about this movie but I do like John Ford. 7/28/23

9.) I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020) - I love Charlie Kaufman and this movie just came and went without me even hearing about it. Thanks, Netflix! 7/28/23

10.) The General (1926) - This movie came out before I was born! 7/28/23

List of shameless: Seven Samurai, Goodfellas, Reservoir Dogs, Yojimbo, Lawrence of Arabia, A Clockwork Orange, Raging Bull, Schindler's List, Citizen Kane, The Incredibles, The Sixth Sense, North by Northwest, Braveheart, Monsters, Inc, Full Metal Jacket, Magnolia, Sunset Blvd., Rocky, Psycho, The Godfather Part III, Vertigo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Seaniqua posted:

8.) The Searchers (1956) - I know nothing about this movie but I do like John Ford. 7/28/23

I watched this one for the thread last fall, so I'd love to hear another first-time viewer's take on it.

Watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939):

A prominent Senator dies just before the vote on a critical appropriations bill--a bill that just so happens to use public funds to purchase land a powerful political boss has been stockpiling. The political boss (Edward Arnold) and a tenured Senator Joseph Paine (Claude Rains) need a puppet Senator to get the bill through. They hit upon Jefferson Smith (Jimmy Stewart), a wide-eyed civics nerd and Boy Scout leader--in other words, the platonic ideal of a rube. Or so they think. Paine gives Smith the busywork of writing a bill to set aside land for a campground for scouts. But Smith wants to use the same land involved in the graft, and soon he finds himself framed as a corrupt Senator facing expulsion as part of the cover-up. Most of the last act is devoted to the most enduring part of the film, Smith's filibuster to clear his name and expose corruption. Although the finale is pretty famous, and I realized I'd caught bits on the end on TV at some point, I thoroughly enjoyed this overall. Wherever you find the film on the spectrum between idealistic and naive, it's undoubtedly earnest. During the big climax, there's even an honest-to-God moment when someone shouts "Let him speak!" Yet there's also some light-hearted stuff, and Jimmy Stewart's "aww shucks" nervous energy translates well to some physical comedy. The film is a solid two hours and change, but moves along at a brisk pace. It's pretty classic filmmaking, with a few interesting bits of stylistic flair. For example, some conversations are punctuated with jump cuts, which was so jarring I thought maybe my stream was having problems. I also liked the scene of Smith flirting with a woman in which the camera zooms in on his hands as he nervously fumbles with and repeatedly drops his hat. I primarily know Jimmy Stewart from his work with Hitchcock, so it was nice to fill in the blanks on one of his iconic roles. And Rains has a pretty good supporting role as an older version of Smith who DID compromise his morals, and is having a crisis of conscience as he looks in the mirror of what once was. Although it can come across corny by today's standards, it was actually the subject of some controversy at the time for daring to show Congress as anything other than unimpeachably moral and civic-minded. Imagine that.

LIST OF SHAME:
23. Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989) (added 06-11-23): Soderbergh's debut is a landmark indepedent film, not to mention a Palme d'Or winner.
(and introducing...)
24. Godzilla (1954) (added 07-29-23): Time to rectify having only seen the Roland Emmerich slop.

SHAME OVERCOME (14 and counting):
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982); The Prestige (2006); Singin' in the Rain (1952); Schindler's List (1993); Heat (1995); Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000); Tootsie (1982); The Searchers (1956); Lawrence of Arabia (1962); Caddyshack (1980); Come and See (1985); Purple Rain (1984); Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)