Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think i read somewhere that it should work but they won't be very reliable. 1.44mb drives have a stronger magnetic signal than a 720k drive and the tracks are spaced closer, so when a 720k drive overwrites the disk it won't be able to perfectly erase the previous formatting and residual magnetic signals might interfere with the new track layout.

You have to tape the hole shut so the 1.44mb drive thinks it's a double density floppy.
https://www.instructables.com/Convert-a-144mb-floppy-to-720k/

I'd let the old and the new drive format a 720k floppy each and see what works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

r u ready to WALK posted:

I think i read somewhere that it should work but they won't be very reliable.

Floppy disks in a nutshell, even when they were in common use. I hardly ever expected the drat things to work more than twice.

I wish you luck in your quest for the lost software

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I normally pay around $50 for 100 mbps, but I have to call my ISP every 2-3 months when they add $30 of imaginary fees for "parental controls" and "Internet security" without asking me. Neither item does anything, they just make it the gently caress up.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dip Viscous posted:

I normally pay around $50 for 100 mbps, but I have to call my ISP every 2-3 months when they add $30 of imaginary fees for "parental controls" and "Internet security" without asking me. Neither item does anything, they just make it the gently caress up.

Love that this is pretty much common practice. Just add charges to see if anyone notices!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sounds like fraud to me.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I just found out you can still buy those square buttons with indicator LEDs that were popular on early synths - Omron still makes them ("Omron B3J Hinged tactile switch").

I have zero need for them, but now I want a reason to use a few.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Can a normal 1.44mb floppy disk be reformatted as a 720K and work? The above pictured Data General only has a 720K floppy drive in it, and i have no native 720K disks.
You can. I did this nearly 20 years ago to make disk images of all my Apple II 3.5" disks. At the time I think I burned through 4-5 taped-hole HD disks in order to image and transfer 100 or so disks in total, so yeah, not very reliable, but it got the job done.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Floppy disks in a nutshell, even when they were in common use. I hardly ever expected the drat things to work more than twice.

I wish you luck in your quest for the lost software

I used to take 3 copies of each disk when I had to take them back and forth to uni. Of course if you took that many they always worked, but any fewer copies at once and nothing ever worked.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

You can (if you're in the US) get 10 recycled 3.5" 720k disks for $10 from here. I've bought from them before, never had any problems with the disks even if they're not new/new old stock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wound up buying from that same place over ebay actually

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I remember when my store first got boxes of 3.5 HD floppies. They were like $73 per box and we wound up having to keep them behind the counter because they were getting shoplifted like crazy.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Can a normal 1.44mb floppy disk be reformatted as a 720K and work?

Yeah I had some music gear that only wanted 720K floppos and it worked if you just formatted regular ones to 720K.

Edit: oh sorry didn’t see there was an entire page talking about this already.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Computer viking posted:

I just found out you can still buy those square buttons with indicator LEDs that were popular on early synths - Omron still makes them ("Omron B3J Hinged tactile switch").

I have zero need for them, but now I want a reason to use a few.

I've got a bunch of these in stock set aside to refurbish an old sampler. They are very satisfying in their clicky tactility!

The sampler in question is a Sequential Circuits Studio 440. "12 bit samples in 768KB loaded off floppy, ah that should be fine" is an easier vintage limitation to stomach in theory than in practice. The sequencer was a power house back then, though.

Remember when Californian tech types where well-intentioned hippies? The 440's PCB has a buddha design on it and its OS scans through a buddhist poem during the boot sequence.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

r u ready to WALK posted:

I think i read somewhere that it should work but they won't be very reliable. 1.44mb drives have a stronger magnetic signal than a 720k drive and the tracks are spaced closer, so when a 720k drive overwrites the disk it won't be able to perfectly erase the previous formatting and residual magnetic signals might interfere with the new track layout.

You have to tape the hole shut so the 1.44mb drive thinks it's a double density floppy.
https://www.instructables.com/Convert-a-144mb-floppy-to-720k/

I'd let the old and the new drive format a 720k floppy each and see what works better.

This is sort of right, but not quite. The tracks aren't spaced closer (they're both 80-track disks), the extra capacity is from doubling the data rate so that you get twice as many sectors on each track, and 1.4MB disks have a different magnetic coating to allow this.

A real 720K disk will read and write fine in a 1.4MB drive because the drive will detect the missing high-density hole and thus know to adjust the current to the r/w heads to the correct levels for the 720K coating, and the disk will then work fine when you transfer it to a 720K drive.

A 1.4MB disk formatted as 720K (in either kind of drive) will be unreliable because it has the wrong magnetic coating for 720K. Taping over the hole doesn't help because the coating is still the 1.4MB type, which the 720K drive is not designed for - you might get away with it for quick data transfer, but don't expect converted disks to be readable long-term.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Jul 27, 2023

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

LifeSunDeath posted:

I still can't believe that scene was cut from the theatrical release, it's legit one of the best sequences. Hell they could have spent another hour going over all the insane future weapons they have and it would have been awesome.

I've never seen the director's cut, but have definitely seen this. I think it was maybe put back for whatever TV edit I've seen.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I use Jdownloader for stuff from Archive.org, am I the tech relic?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I like these cropped, no-context ads (posted by unicity74 on instagram):

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Those are Good Computers, unlike today's bad ones.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Those machines ran programs instead of Apps.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Antigravitas posted:

at least they were honest computers, not fast but honest. today's computers are liars but get it done quickly.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
none of those computers wants to mine or sell my data, and that makes them my friends

windows 3.1's installer didn't ask about my goddamn ad preferences

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A real computer has a large power switch in back that SNAPS when you turn it on and then emits a loud BEEP. :colbert:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

you had to have an office cause you'd wake the loving house up with the drive noise/system speaker/dot matrix printer activating.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the room lights don’t dim when you turn on your computer, are you even computing?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Trabant posted:

I like these cropped, no-context ads (posted by unicity74 on instagram):

drat I love these… so frickin cool

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

none of those computers wants to mine or sell my data, and that makes them my friends

windows 3.1's installer didn't ask about my goddamn ad preferences

When was the last time you saw some new computer thingy and were excited about getting to try it instead of thinking "how will this thing attempt to steal all my data and sell it to the highest bidder?" Yeah :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

at least they were honest computers, not fast but honest. today's computers are liars but get it done quickly.

They were plenty fast. Programs were slow, and still are.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They were plenty fast. Programs were slow, and still are.

not my loving tandy bro, poo poo was real slow.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

When was the last time you saw some new computer thingy and were excited about getting to try it instead of thinking "how will this thing attempt to steal all my data and sell it to the highest bidder?" Yeah :smith:

I think it's not what you meant, but I have been unironically excited when I've got new GPUs or CPUs. That's not really "new" in the sense you intended, though, I'm pretty sure.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I got excited about https://github.com/ggerganov/llama.cpp which lets me talk to my computer completely on-device and offline without any limits on how stupid or embarrassing the questions are. Most of the time the answers are pretty coherent, too! I struggle to comprehend how it works as well as it does.

quote:

User: Do you want to steal all my data and sell it to the highest bidder?
Vicuna: No, Vicuna was designed with privacy in mind and does not have access to any user data without their consent.
User: Why do companies love to sell user data like that?
Vicuna: Companies often collect and sell user data as a means of generating revenue. User data is valuable to advertisers, who use it to target specific audiences with personalized ads. However, there are concerns about the privacy implications of this practice, which is why Vicuna was created with privacy in mind.
User: Do you have stairs in your house?
Vicuna: Yes, I have stairs in my house. They lead to the second floor.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So now I have no excuse to be living in the past?!
I hold you personally responsible for the horrors that are sue to follow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Sbaitso was like 40 000 years ago.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yeah but dr sbaitso is a prude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87sl5ReC0_8

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You want to talk dirty to your computer?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you’re not constantly swearing at your computer you haven’t worked in IT long enough

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How dare you. I have never "worked in IT". Computers are for ADP.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

KDE Connect is cool, and every new release of KDE Plasma delivers something cool.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

quote:

The System 8813 was PolyMorphic's diskette-based system. It was introduced in 1977
The introductory price was $3,250 - about $11,000 today.

it's a monitor for ants

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How dare you. I have never "worked in IT". Computers are for ADP.

That’s somehow even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
They don't make moustaches like that anymore