Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TjyvTompa posted:

I try to have as many +Knights and +Knight efficiency modifiers on my artifacts and cultural traditions as possible. Currently up to 62 knights with an efficiency of ~650% in 1250.

The game is about characters, so it feels wrong not to do this.

But it also completely breaks the game, more than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Oh another thing about knights I noticed a couple of days ago. When you run tournaments you have to click on the "Knights" button in the lower right before each event and manually allow them to compete. For some reason the game completely randomly (it seems) disallows your knights from joining tournament events. It will disallow knights with full experience in the hastiluder trait used in the event etc. it's extremely frustrating. Doing this will make your accolades level up faster too since your acknowledged knights gain accolade XP just by qualifying for the event.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is there a list somewhere of what factors increase knight effectiveness? I checked the wiki but couldn’t find anything comprehensive.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cantorsdust posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what factors increase knight effectiveness? I checked the wiki but couldn’t find anything comprehensive.

There is straight up a "Knight efficiency" modifier that you can get from artifacts, cultural traditions and buildings.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

There is straight up a "Knight efficiency" modifier that you can get from artifacts, cultural traditions and buildings.

I think they meant if there's a list of things that give that modifier. I don't know of one. The best I can suggest is searching the common folder in Notepad++ or similar.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

Cultural Traditions, Dynasty modifiers, Artifacts, Lifestyle perks, Barony level buildings, and Duchy level buildings. I'm probably missing a few things. If you give your Culture "Only the Strong" as a Cultural Tradition and build Academies at the Duchy level and Smithies and/or Camelries in the individual holdings you will get plenty of modifiers.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

It can't be random if every Pope for the last two hundred twentyish years has been Dutch

Starting to agree there’s something bugged with this. First pope after Alexander in 1066 start was a 21-yo Basque, he lived like 50 more years, and the pope immediately succeeding him was also Basque.

It’s also kind of annoying that the Dutch seem to invite me to activities more often than Germans do when I’m in the HRE. I ain’t trekking all the way to Utrecht for another hawking invite.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well, feudalism went well. The only domain I had to trash was my capital because everything else was part of my arabian conquests so they were already all feudal buildings. I eventually died of old age at 75, passing the empire to my daughter who had meanwhile managed to become an adulterer, which I then leaned into by seducing enough people to stop independence factions so that I could consolidate a little more rule and pass more authority, only to drink myself to death and pass on to an excellent 28-year old heir with 31 learning and a beautiful, intelligent wife.

Wait, what's this? Why's my aunt modifying her feudal contract with a strong hook?

Oh it says here I'm a cannibal.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Well, feudalism went well. The only domain I had to trash was my capital because everything else was part of my arabian conquests so they were already all feudal buildings. I eventually died of old age at 75, passing the empire to my daughter who had meanwhile managed to become an adulterer, which I then leaned into by seducing enough people to stop independence factions so that I could consolidate a little more rule and pass more authority, only to drink myself to death and pass on to an excellent 28-year old heir with 31 learning and a beautiful, intelligent wife.

Wait, what's this? Why's my aunt modifying her feudal contract with a strong hook?

Oh it says here I'm a cannibal.

I guess aunt's next on the menu!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Starting to agree there’s something bugged with this. First pope after Alexander in 1066 start was a 21-yo Basque, he lived like 50 more years, and the pope immediately succeeding him was also Basque.

It’s also kind of annoying that the Dutch seem to invite me to activities more often than Germans do when I’m in the HRE. I ain’t trekking all the way to Utrecht for another hawking invite.

I think what happens is that when a republican or theocratic titleholder dies, the game's succession rules pick someone eligible from the title's court and vassals. That's as true for the Pope as it is for any Mayor in your realm. Lots of events that create courtiers add people of your own culture, so that makes culture for these titles a bit "sticky", since a Basque pope is likely to have mostly Basque court members generated for them. You only get a change of culture when a high-value unlanded character wanders into court at the right time (which is how you get the Pope turning Basque or Dutch or similar in the first place), but once they're in, the events will start skewing the court to their culture, tending to keep it that way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i couldn't eat her because she has a strong hook, but i ate my rebelling brother-in-law.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

i couldn't eat her because she has a strong hook, but i ate my rebelling brother-in-law.

Get the kidnapper intrigue thingie, it's such a door opener.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/RFMacLellan/status/1683460072964341761?s=20

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I always forget those dumb tents you have to click during tournaments.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Extremely on-brand for Henry VIII. Aspirational tbh, he didn't give a single poo poo about anyone

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I figured if you're invading France you just have to have a pastry tent. It's the law.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

lol what weird twitter redirect is that that it replaces the twitter logo with a 2007 edgy "X"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

lol what weird twitter redirect is that that it replaces the twitter logo with a 2007 edgy "X"

that is their new logo. really

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Oh holy poo poo wow

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You haven't heard? Twitter was bought by the X.Org foundation.

It's finally the year of the Linux desktop.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Load times on Linux have always been much better for me than on Windows, incidentally. It's true for anything using the Clausewitz engine.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I guess there's no CK2 thread anymore, so I'll ask here: What are some good CK2 mods that aren't total conversions? Ones that improve the game, like CK2+ (which is way too bloated afaik), but don't overhaul it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I think what happens is that when a republican or theocratic titleholder dies, the game's succession rules pick someone eligible from the title's court and vassals. That's as true for the Pope as it is for any Mayor in your realm. Lots of events that create courtiers add people of your own culture, so that makes culture for these titles a bit "sticky", since a Basque pope is likely to have mostly Basque court members generated for them. You only get a change of culture when a high-value unlanded character wanders into court at the right time (which is how you get the Pope turning Basque or Dutch or similar in the first place), but once they're in, the events will start skewing the court to their culture, tending to keep it that way.

PDX forums keep talking about a trade expansion for some reason but clearly what’s needed is a religion one. College of Cardinals is sorely lacking especially since I think you’re right on about this.

Kinda weird that investiture controversy was never modeled in CK2. Or was it and I don’t remember? They definitely can’t skip out on it this time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean it desperately needs a trade system too. Mostly depends on where you're playing, Western Europe would probably benefit the most from an investiture system obviously, but literally everywhere else on the map (and also several areas in Western Europe) is criminally underserved by lacking a trade system.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Kinda weird that investiture controversy was never modeled in CK2. Or was it and I don’t remember? They definitely can’t skip out on it this time.

Only sort of, and only in the same way it is obliquely in CK3 as well, as different appointment rules available to some heresies.

CK2 has slightly more options for ridding yourself of your turbulent priests, so the player could model it to a larger degree than the game as a whole did.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Farecoal posted:

I guess there's no CK2 thread anymore, so I'll ask here: What are some good CK2 mods that aren't total conversions? Ones that improve the game, like CK2+ (which is way too bloated afaik), but don't overhaul it.

So in terms of just gameplay expansions, Twilight of Empires is a bit heavy handed with the nerf bat but ultimately gives emperors more to do and cuts back on blobbing. Great Trade League's another expansion adding another pretty well fleshed out society aimed at financial shenanigans. Rise to Power is a bit janky on account of the system it had to basically hack in to make things possible but is okay for a run. Dark Ages is a flavor pack I haven't touched but seems well reviewed in terms of adding some more plates to spin.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

You give me the College of Cardinals for Catholicism and ways to set up autonomous or autocephalous churches, and I think I'll never stop playing

I mean, I'll never stop playing regardless, but that would be pretty sweet

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Moreau posted:

You give me the College of Cardinals for Catholicism and ways to set up autonomous or autocephalous churches, and I think I'll never stop playing

I mean, I'll never stop playing regardless, but that would be pretty sweet

While it was great in CK2, I think one of the reasons they're holding it back is that they seem to want to be more into creating generic systems rather than these kind of bespoke one-off solutions. The struggle mechanic was from an early stage described as a framework they could apply to other areas with similar dynamics.

The question then becomes, what else is there that the Colllege of Cardinals system could be used for? Some variation of the Byz voting system maybe? But are there any more examples of this kind of structure (and bribery and intrigue) that would make it more generic and worth-while to create?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is multiplayer still hosed in CK3 since the T&T update?

I'm leery of convincing my group to get back into it only for us to be getting desyncs all over the place

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is there anything for CK3 yet like that rise to power mod for 2 where you could start as a peasant and work up?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Is there anything for CK3 yet like that rise to power mod for 2 where you could start as a peasant and work up?

Being unlanded is game over currently. I really hope it is something they change eventually, but no indication of any concrete plans for this so far.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SlothBear posted:

Being unlanded is game over currently. I really hope it is something they change eventually, but no indication of any concrete plans for this so far.

Being less than a count is game over in CK2, too. I expect something similar to the janky hack of weird titles Rise to Power put in for CK2 would be possible for the sequel, but it'd be a heck of a lot of effort.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Huh, turns out if you're tribal and have tribal vassals of an organized faith, they are allowed to adopt feudalism even if you don't. Kind of puts a kink in my plan to see how long I can last as a tribal-only realm. Looks like my only option is to remain unorganized.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’m all sweaty after a massive crusade with 40 participants and 100k+ armies on each side. It really went back and forth. At one point we were down to -70% war score and looked rather out of it but an impressive combat win by the AI routes their armies, opening the way for me to siege down several provinces before they could regroup. Now my daughter is the new queen of catholic Mesopotamia.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
dev diaries returned - on adoptions and eccentric trait

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Eccentric trait gave me "Weird Wasteland" vibes when it was first described so nice to see they confirmed that. I think it's a good idea myself.

And please please please enable achievements with same sex marriage! :pray:

Dec 30, 2008
One thing that worries me about eccentric being a trait is that you will potentially see it way more often than lunatic in CK2. Getting a lunatic ruler in CK2 felt special in a way that eccentric won't if every second ruler has it. I hope they make it a very low chance for that childhood education event to fire, or at least make AI guardians extremely unlikely to pick it.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

Oh another thing about knights I noticed a couple of days ago. When you run tournaments you have to click on the "Knights" button in the lower right before each event and manually allow them to compete. For some reason the game completely randomly (it seems) disallows your knights from joining tournament events. It will disallow knights with full experience in the hastiluder trait used in the event etc. it's extremely frustrating. Doing this will make your accolades level up faster too since your acknowledged knights gain accolade XP just by qualifying for the event.

i was about 400 years into my current run when i noticed this, hopefully they fix it because there is no reason for it to be that way

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
After bouncing off this game a couple times, since the last DLC it’s finally grabbed me the way CK2 did. All the stuff to do is great.

Opened up as king of Great Moravia in 867, which is one of my favorite starts. The king is ancient and his life is basically used getting an heir and a stable succession. Ended up getting a mediocre hunchbacked son whose only saving grace was his skill in diplomacy. Didn’t look great as the Magyars were breathing down my neck.

As luck would have it, young, backhumped Budivoj turned out to be the finest poet in all of Christendom. He won a recital in Venice at 16 when a clap back at someone who insulted his height turned into the most savage diss track in a century. On the return home he met a lowborn Slavic knight who is now his best friend and personal champion. Together they’ve won 5 more tourneys including a chess tourney where my knight beat me in the semifinal and then in the final pulled out a surprise upset victory against a 38 learning giant lorebeard (literally known as “the Bearded”).

It’s like 50 years in and I haven’t even declared a war yet. His fame from winning poetry slams means smaller Christian lords beg him for vassalage and even hostile pagans adore this stooped over virtuoso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Real adoption mechanics to enable proper same-sex playthroughs are definitely one way to bring me back to the game. And now the dynasty version of bloodlines makes even more sense, as adoption in CK2 would have you lose your bloodline traits. The dynasty perks on the other hand are obviously good for adopted kids as well.