Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I particularly liked watching the students desperately rationalize away what their instincts and training was telling them. "He is completely open... which must mean that he has no openings at all!"

It again also contrasts with reactions to Saitama, who is often observed to be full of openings, but nobody ever extends that level of benefit of the doubt to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, Saitama is genuinely full of openings, he just lets the punches land on the off-chance he'll feel them.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I particularly liked watching the students desperately rationalize away what their instincts and training was telling them. "He is completely open... which must mean that he has no openings at all!"

It again also contrasts with reactions to Saitama, who is often observed to be full of openings, but nobody ever extends that level of benefit of the doubt to him.

I mean, if Saitama wasn't invincible with lightning fast reflexes to boot, he would probably be very vulnerable. Our man max statted his way out of needing to learn how to fight properly with the body of a frail mortal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

I mean, if Saitama wasn't invincible with lightning fast reflexes to boot, he would probably be very vulnerable. Our man max statted his way out of needing to learn how to fight properly with the body of a frail mortal.

he actually does know how to fight properly, or he would have been wasted when he was still fighting monsters before losing his hair.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"The katana doesn't know it's been unsheathed"

Elevates the joke so much

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
In a similar situation, how do you reckon Caped Baldy would handle the sword? Accidentally shatter it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goffer posted:

In a similar situation, how do you reckon Caped Baldy would handle the sword? Accidentally shatter it?

He would eat the apple when it was thrown to him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Someone please photoshop the panel of Saitama biting Sonic's sword but replace the sword with an apple.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The comic keeps getting better

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Goffer posted:

He’d split the continent in two but miss the apple entirely

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I love, unironically and with all my might, any panel where King is drawn as epic, fearsome, and powerful while actually being scared.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't like what happened to that apple.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This chapter is my favorite joke in the entire series. Four people, FOUR of them, gaslighting each other that no, we were never wrong about this guy, we just didn't know how right we really were. Like you can actually see some of them express genuine doubt at points, but their friends quickly jump to reinforce the group's held pre-established beliefs that couldn't possibly be incorrect, and they do it with a tone of "don't be stupid, you're falling for a ruse". I posted earlier about how the reason the King joke works so well is that it isn't really about him, it's about the people around him and the mental gymnastics they perform to fit his actions into their worldview, and this is the best example of that.

King is real, and he is strong, and he is my friend.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm looking forward to the inevitable gag where some villain uses their 100% perfect evil clone machine on King, only to find, to their shock, that their machine had a fatal flaw that made the evil clone a weakling.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I don't think I've laughed as hard at anything in this series as I did at the 3 panels of King sloooooooowly lowering the sword over 3 mins

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable gag where some villain uses their 100% perfect evil clone machine on King, only to find, to their shock, that their machine had a fatal flaw that made the evil clone a weakling.

Villain: "Im-impossible! King is even more powerful than a perfect King Clone?"

Entire S Class: "Sasuga King, the only one strong enough to defeat himself, I expect nothing less from the Ultimate Hero and World's Strongest Man"

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Pretty sure Evil Clone King would just challenge Real King to a Super Smash Bros match. And then eat all his snacks, because he's eeeeevil.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Professor Moriarty posted:

Pretty sure Evil Clone King would just challenge Real King to a Super Smash Bros match. And then eat all his snacks, because he's eeeeevil.

I think the clone would realize how weak he is, bluff out why he can't fight King, then the two hangout and play games together.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Donkringel posted:

I think the clone would realize how weak he is, bluff out why he can't fight King, then the two hangout and play games together.

"Have me fight myself? Are you insane? Have you no regard for the planet upon which you stand??" though this would actually be a retread of this issue's first joke.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Professor Moriarty posted:

Framing it as going somewhere remote to not hurt anybody else, but just going to King's apartment until everything dies down.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

Perfect chapter but also why do I feel like this already happened?

I remember this whole thing happening before, except for the part where he makes up the thing about Tuesday. It must have been a bonus chapter or something. I've definitely seen the exact gag with him being unable to draw the sword. No, I don't touch the webcomic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Does Versus have it's own thread yet? Chapter 9 is out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/d9a70caa-03b9-4921-9084-140d4b0a1931/1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pik_d posted:

I quite enjoyed that one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
something finally happened and it was good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

pik_d posted:

if you make the thread i will look at it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

he knows how to fight properly he just doesnt try anymore. he can knights of the round table you but whats the point you die to a regular attack.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do wonder how far Saitama got technique wise before realizing doing anything more beyond a simple punch is just a waste of time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

I do wonder how far Saitama got technique wise before realizing doing anything more beyond a simple punch is just a waste of time.

I guess it depends on how you define a technique. He was bouncing all around one of Jupiter's moons and phasing through space time portals but was still just punching space Garou in the face.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pik_d posted:

I say we make one next year. 15 chapters should be enough to plant our flag behind and talk about it with other people. Enough events will surely have transpired by then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bucswabe posted:

I don't think I've laughed as hard at anything in this series as I did at the 3 panels of King sloooooooowly lowering the sword over 3 mins

I loved that but even better was King's thought bubble, revealing that he hadn't just given up after not being able to think of what to do, but that he hadn't been able to unsheathe the sword at all :lol:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

lmao at that ending point. :negative:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pik_d posted:

Finally something happens. The premise has been interesting but the pace has been off.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Versus fireworks factory is almost but still not quite here.

Edit: I feel mostly apathetic about Versus and I think it's mostly that like, Human suck can't fite monster, I get it jeez. Just cut to the dungeon fodder battle royale already.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 28, 2023

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I dunno, I'm still intrigued by what the neo humans whole deal is, they have interesting fashion if nothing else

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dunno, I'm still intrigued by what the neo humans whole deal is, they have interesting fashion if nothing else

They stand around looking hot in fire outfits, this causes regular humans to die of thirst

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yes, me too. From the initial round table introductions of all the Natural Enemies, Neo humans was one of the ones I was most interested in learning more about.

I'm very curious to know why they seem unconcerned about a gang of giants rampaging in their city...

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I hope they get more into why the two groups are (or aren't) "natural enemies" in the next issue. So far they've speculated that the giants will just view the neo-humans as any other squishable human, but not why the neo-humans might be the best chance to result in mutual destruction.

My speculation: An advanced form of humanity with enhanced intellect may have advanced sciences as well (even if it's oriented toward cruelty) so a more subtle threat may allow them time to adapt, win, and possibly even strengthen by the end of the conflict. The giants will just rush in with zero subtlety and probably smash enough poo poo to set them on the back foot in terms of resources, whereas the neo-humans' own arrogance may still lead them to assume they can fight the giants with their current capabilities.

It's a good matchup thematically since it's not necessarily that they are 'opposites' of each other in any way except civilizational development -- they are matched in cruelty and arrogance and that's what will lead them to wipe each other out.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

All of this has to be a lead up to them hurting each other badly at this point like the previous encounter we saw or I'm just gonna be upset and probably drop Versus. I trust in One to actually have a similar payoff to the demons vs robot apocalypse poo poo though.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I could imagine the story giving us a couple "wins" for the heroes by the Natural Enemies causing each other major harm in some of the initial match-ups, and then adding a twist where they start to form alliances or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It would be very funny to me if this started a wave of all the enemies fighting each other, but the pov stays with the humans who stay at base and do more planning. No inter-enemy fighting is seen.