Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Escape from LA is better than Escape from NY.

Yeah in opposite land!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There isn't even an argument to be had here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

La is stinky doo doo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
LA has a lot of fun stuff in it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

LA has a lot of fun stuff in it.

It does, I still have a marquee poster of it somewhere and everything and I love the heavy-handed social commentary and such, but there's two many points where it attempts to hit the mood of NY and doesn't pull it off. Whenever it's doing it's own thing it's a lot more enjoyable.

Also very important for secretly being THE Deus Ex movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They're both mid tier JC movies though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Agreed, neither would be in my top 5

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

As an adult, logically, I understand why The Thing is one of the best movies ever made and I agree with that fact. But I'm really biased about it because when I was like 10 my parents were out for the weekend and I was watching some random cartoon stuff we taped off TV and my older brother abruptly turned it off and was like "Mom and dad are gone and you're old enough to watch real movies now." and rented The Thing and Escape from New York for us to double feature so both basically stamped themselves onto and melted my brain equally at that age. So it remains my favorite Carpenter flick alongside The Thing and Dark Star.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Escape from NY rules and doesn't get enough credit for starting a genre of trashy dystopian movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Escape from L.A. is not as good as Escape from New York (Carpenter's best movie), but it does whip rear end. I owe Vampires a rewatch but I'd tentatively call L.A. Carpenter's last really good movie and a decent capstone to his career.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

LA is tons of fun and has some great moments. The basketball scene rules and the ending is an all timer.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

you’re a wild one Hundu

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Crow reboot starring Bill Skarsgård has apparently wrapped filming, but no release date yet. I'm not optimistic, even with Bill in the lead role, since every outing apart from the first film has been irredeemable garbage that even the presence of Iggy Pop couldn't save.

Also they should've used whatever insane script Nick Cave wrote. I've never read it, but if it's even half as bizarre as his Gladiator 2 script I'm sure it would be at least entertainingly weird.

Edit: ignore me, apparently it wrapped ages ago but some sites decided to report it again for some reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

what are some movies other than Escape from L.A. that are sequels that double as parodies of the first movie? I guess you could argue Evil Dead II but I feel like there are others I'm forgetting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what are some movies other than Escape from L.A. that are sequels that double as parodies of the first movie? I guess you could argue Evil Dead II but I feel like there are others I'm forgetting.

Gremlins 2 is a good one

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Idunno if Slumber Party Massacre II counts as a parody of the first, but it takes the satire into outright surrealism.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Gremlins 2 is a good one

Pope Corky the IX posted:

duh, two obvious ones i overlooked.

Halloween Jack posted:

Idunno if Slumber Party Massacre II counts as a parody of the first, but it takes the satire into outright surrealism.

this reminded me of another: Sleepaway Camp II (and III)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That one is particularly funny because Hooper got a big 3 film deal from the studio with part of the agreement being that one of those films would be a TCM sequel. The first film he makes is Lifeforce, which was a money sink and a bomb. The second film was Invaders From Mars which didn't cost nearly as much as Lifeforce but bombed equally hard. Still, the studio was like ok we're still happy with this deal because we're about to get a sequel to one of the most iconic horror films of all time. They were....not pleased when they saw what Hooper did with TCM 2.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Terminator 3

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Rocky 2 and (especially) Rambo 2 are inadvertently parodies of their originals which double down more on the popular conceptions of those characters rather than the actual texts and nuances of the originals.

RoboCop 2 a bit also, maybe? Don’t really remember that too well so don’t want to be definitive.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

What? Why? Why do you think that!! I've seen both relatively recently and...no!

Edit: I missed a lot of posts. Yeah, it does have some good bits, I'll grant that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

As an adult, logically, I understand why The Thing is one of the best movies ever made and I agree with that fact. But I'm really biased about it because when I was like 10 my parents were out for the weekend and I was watching some random cartoon stuff we taped off TV and my older brother abruptly turned it off and was like "Mom and dad are gone and you're old enough to watch real movies now." and rented The Thing and Escape from New York for us to double feature so both basically stamped themselves onto and melted my brain equally at that age. So it remains my favorite Carpenter flick alongside The Thing and Dark Star.

your brother rules

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That one is particularly funny because Hooper got a big 3 film deal from the studio with part of the agreement being that one of those films would be a TCM sequel. The first film he makes is Lifeforce, which was a money sink and a bomb. The second film was Invaders From Mars which didn't cost nearly as much as Lifeforce but bombed equally hard. Still, the studio was like ok we're still happy with this deal because we're about to get a sequel to one of the most iconic horror films of all time. They were....not pleased when they saw what Hooper did with TCM 2.

Lifeforce is the absolute poo poo. I'd love to rewatch that with edibles. absolute insanity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn’t Lifeforce basically only 2/3 of a movie because he ran out of money and couldn’t film the planned ending setpiece?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wait, people remember anything about that movie past the first 10 minutes?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn’t Lifeforce basically only 2/3 of a movie because he ran out of money and couldn’t film the planned ending setpiece?

I wouldn't go that far. Yes there was definitely budget issues that led to him not really being able to fully realize the climax but if you watch the movie the last act is still pretty bonkers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

naked lady shooting lazers out of her hands as she flies past the crystal fortress of solitude

there's more stuff that happens too

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shageletic posted:

naked lady shooting lazers out of her hands as she flies past the crystal fortress of solitude

there's more stuff that happens too

Captain Picard kisses a dude

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I heard that Hooper and his wife auditioned an absurd number of naked women before deciding on Mathilda May, who did not speak English at the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If anything the main criticism of Lifeforce that I think most people agree on is that it kinda lags in the middle. The opening act with the ship and then naked escape and the zombie dudes crumbling to dust is unbelievable, and the last act is ridiculous and entertaining. The middle act could've used a tighter edit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack B Nimble posted:

What? Why? Why do you think that!! I've seen both relatively recently and...no!

Edit: I missed a lot of posts. Yeah, it does have some good bits, I'll grant that.

I don't think much of Escape from NY.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You're not wrong. It kinda slumps into a weird detective derail, which is funnily kinda similar to the detective boring stuff in the original Bram Stoker's Dracula.

e: lifeforce is still a strong recommend, esp if you like a good example of a weird b movie

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Cannon Films lol. There's a funny story of one of the heads of the studio watching Invaders from Mars and mistaking it for a different movie and going absolutely ballistic about it.

Pretty sure they had a poo poo fit about TCM2 as well but that movie loving rules.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

duh, two obvious ones i overlooked.

this reminded me of another: Sleepaway Camp II (and III)

Sleepaway Camp 2 is fantastic and I honestly like it better than the original. 3 suffers from having nearly all gore completely cut out of it for reasons I'm unaware of, especially since I'm pretty sure both 2/3 were direct to video.

The less said about "Return to Sleepaway Camp" and the abomination that is "Sleepaway Camp 4 the Survivor" the better.

And yes, someone bothered to cut together the random bits of footage shot for 4 with terrible quality footage from 2/3 and released it. And charged money for it. It was easily one of the worst pieces of poo poo I've bothered to watch and review back in the days of my old podcast.

And I ripped on it hard enough that someone emailed me after the episode went up to tell me I was an rear end in a top hat for ripping on it and how I wasn't a real fan or some such. May have been the dude who put it out, I don't remember anymore but it was pretty funny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

You're not wrong. It kinda slumps into a weird detective derail, which is funnily kinda similar to the detective boring stuff in the original Bram Stoker's Dracula.

e: lifeforce is still a strong recommend, esp if you like a good example of a weird b movie

It's basically a Quatermass/Hammer film with a giant budget so you do need some stuffy British dudes talking to each other.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bruce Campbell has a great anecdote about the first thing Kurt Russell said to him on the set of Escape From LA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If anything the main criticism of Lifeforce that I think most people agree on is that it kinda lags in the middle. The opening act with the ship and then naked escape and the zombie dudes crumbling to dust is unbelievable, and the last act is ridiculous and entertaining. The middle act could've used a tighter edit.

You might prefer the theatrical version, it got released on DVD in some countries. For its theatrical release about 15 minutes was cut mostly in the middle just for pacing rather than for the content/censorship. Particularly almost all the redundant vampire talk is removed. I prefer the extended/director's cut myself just because it's so indulgent but it absolutely does lag in the middle.

Also related to Lifeforce lmao gently caress you Baldur's Gate composer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xyTZTlrXM

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Sleepaway Camp 2 is fantastic and I honestly like it better than the original.

Depending on my mood on a given day i agree with this.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Depending on my mood on a given day i agree with this.

The first is great for sure, but I saw the second and third before I ever got a chance to see the original and I fell in love with the second.

Pam Springsteen is so much fun as Angela and Renee Estevez is great and always a favorite to see pop up in low budget 80's horror schlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shageletic posted:

Lifeforce is the absolute poo poo. I'd love to rewatch that with edibles. absolute insanity.

I watched it for the first time with edibles like a month ago and promptly fell asleep right after she escapes the lab.

It’s an incredibly dull and boring movie.