Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Android Apocalypse posted:

Plot twist: Bev loved it.

As I recall it was her idea. This does not make it less hosed up.

really happy with this snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

We do, it's called camping trip with Dad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I didn't have a magic blanket, I don't think my toes would've survived.

Take your insulin

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Take your insulin

Mice ate my magic blanket.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cool Dad posted:

As I recall it was her idea. This does not make it less hosed up.

really happy with this snipe

I've never read it, but I understand that this is because said tween was already aware from experience that she had a perfect sense of direction, but only after having sex. Which is a superpower so specific, she may as well have summoned her Stand, and raises questions I'm sure King answered.

The moral of the story is that you have to feed your writer just the right amount of cocaine.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Elfface posted:

I've never read it, but I understand that this is because said tween was already aware from experience that she had a perfect sense of direction, but only after having sex. Which is a superpower so specific, she may as well have summoned her Stand, and raises questions I'm sure King answered.

The moral of the story is that you have to feed your writer just the right amount of cocaine.

I read the book like 20 years ago, but iirc it was that the influence of IT was essentially causing them to lose their way and sort of drift apart both literally and metaphorically, and her idea was for them to strengthen their bonds by essentially having a tween gangbang. It's like King wanted there to be more tension during the escape and came up with both the most deranged problem and solution he could come up with

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/cX26lH6.mp4

unmute for extra fun

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

shipwrek posted:

We do, it's called camping trip with Dad.

Midsummer in the Nordic is a magical festival of light when kids learn that it's a completely legal thrill to pile up a bunch of old garden furniture in the yard to make a bonfire and then just throw gasoline on it when it doesn't seem that the flames are really picking up as fast as you'd like. I'm still surprised my granddad died of old age instead of horrible burns.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Dat (pork) butt

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

barbecue at the folks posted:

Midsummer in the Nordic is a magical festival of light when kids learn that it's a completely legal thrill to pile up a bunch of old garden furniture in the yard to make a bonfire and then just throw gasoline on it when it doesn't seem that the flames are really picking up as fast as you'd like. I'm still surprised my granddad died of old age instead of horrible burns.

I loved that Ari Aster movie.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Dat (pork) butt

Phat rear end other white meat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WAP (wet rear end pork)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The New Pope's got some moves!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

The New Pope's got some moves!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pwerking

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I didn't have a magic blanket, I don't think my toes would've survived.

If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
there was a moral panic back when vodka red bulls became popular, so of course this is super stupid

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://i.imgur.com/S8rVo3b.gifv

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don't mind me, just gonna quickly let these rats and pigs loose on the beach

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fartknocker posted:

Richard Kind or Eugene Mirman

The voice of Tim Curry as the Darkness.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

That boy needs plasminogen activators

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've always identified with the Taxxons

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Philippe posted:

I didn't, because I'm not American and didn't have book fairs. Instead I read Stephen King at age 11, which didn't gently caress me up at all.

At 11 how did you get through the first 100 pages of every Stephen King novel where nothing happens except lovely boring people living their lovely boring lives?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Facebook Aunt posted:

At 11 how did you get through the first 100 pages of every Stephen King novel where nothing happens except lovely boring people living their lovely boring lives?

King is a great writer most of the time and I find those 100 pages to be really engrossing. Most of the time. Sometimes I hate his dumb characters so much (It, Tommyknockers, some others) that I don't loving want to put up with those 100 pages of their stupid lives.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love Stephen King. There's 800 pages of thrilling interpersonal drama intermingled with spooky poo poo, followed by two chapters where Steve realised the book needs to end somehow.

He works better as a short-story author, where he has to limit himself to a single scary image (rats in a basement, a moving finger coming out of a drain, thinking too hard where a disused forest road goes, etc), but his long fiction is consistently entertaining.

Also I have autisms

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Honestly here's how you become a giant lifelong Stephen King fan:
1. Be a very strange little child
2. Have the 'tism

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

2. Have the 'tism

3. loving hate maine

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Philippe posted:

I love Stephen King. There's 800 pages of thrilling interpersonal drama intermingled with spooky poo poo, followed by two chapters where Steve realised the book needs to end somehow.

He works better as a short-story author, where he has to limit himself to a single scary image (rats in a basement, a moving finger coming out of a drain, thinking too hard where a disused forest road goes, etc), but his long fiction is consistently entertaining.

Also I have autisms

2. Have the 'tism

You know, I always felt like Stephen King was rad, and what I felt resonated most was the panicky internal monologue of people undergoing immense stress - the unrelated intrusive thoughts, the repetitive phrases or songs, the building up of anxiety to a strong crescendo. I know other people are not into that at all, but I like it a lot.

Anyways, I also have the autism and starting reading at a young age, so ???

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

kirbysuperstar posted:

3. loving hate maine

As a person that grew up in a town that is mentioned in one of his books, :yeah:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

John Lee posted:

You know, I always felt like Stephen King was rad, and what I felt resonated most was the panicky internal monologue of people undergoing immense stress - the unrelated intrusive thoughts, the repetitive phrases or songs, the building up of anxiety to a strong crescendo. I know other people are not into that at all, but I like it a lot.

Anyways, I also have the autism and starting reading at a young age, so ???

With you on that. King is uncommonly good at writing stream-of-consciousness narration or internal monologue. And having there actually be a point to it instead of just rambling.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

The movie The Shining is good, but King has a point about Kubrick hollowing out a lot of the story. The book is a spot on depiction of an alcoholic controlled by his resentments.

Which, of course, is because he was writing about himself. But because of the amazing powers of delusion that addiction gives you, he didn’t know that until he got sober, which was way after that movie came out. So I imagine it felt like a personal attack to have so much of Jack’s internal battle stripped out of it, but at the same time, he probably couldn’t say why it felt so personal.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

drat that's a good video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

2. Have the 'tism

Well, I had #1 down cold, so no wonder. When I was eleven, I found Night Shift at a flea market, bought it for a quarter, and the rest is history. I still almost prefer the short story collections to the longer novels.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think that Trucks could be made into a great little thriller. Yes, Maximum Overdrive and all that, but if you read the story devoid of that context there's a lot there. King was a master at character work even fifty years ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’d like to see an adaptation of The Running Man that actually followed the story.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Silly Burrito posted:

I’d like to see an adaptation of The Running Man that actually followed the story.

The Running Man (novel) is an amazing read if you know nothing about it and have just seen the movie. It also has a really great ending that Stephen King loving gives away in the introduction to the book. If you read Running Man, skip the introduction where he talks about what it means to write stories at age nineteen or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.