Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i say swears online posted:

like, 12% growth or 12% interest rates? i could see the former, yeah

somehow both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new numbers this morning showed the economy actually picked up a lil speed in spring which is loving insane

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i say swears online posted:

new numbers this morning showed the economy actually picked up a lil speed in spring which is loving insane

Yeah, they had to hike rates higher. I wonder how people will like 8% mortgages.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, they had to hike rates higher. I wonder how people will like 8% mortgages.

People will keep buying this garbage at 10%.

There was a very, very narrow window of maybe 6-8 years where you could really lock-in the benefits of property ownership, and I honestly don't think that's going to come back for a long, long time.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Jul 27, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

imo 40-year or longer mortgages will become the norm and the majority of new originations before we're anywhere near the top

the answer is going to be more debt, not lower prices

The difference in payments from 30 to 40 years is minor. For a $500k loan at 7% you are looking at $3,107.16 of principal and interest for a 40 year loan and $3,326.51 for a 30 year loan. Even going to 50 years you're still at about $3k/month. Longer mortgages don't have the same impact that longer car loans do because 30 years is already an extremely long time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao going to a 99 year loan doesn't even make a difference at 7% with a $500k loan. It's $2,919.58 a month that's still almost 90% of what you're paying for a 30 year loan

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Maybe they should build more government subsidized houses, like we did 1936-1977 or so? idk, just spitballing here

thats crazy talk.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Taking on the debt personally is no longer an option for most people because of how expensive it is, so that means any market-based homeownership solution is going to look like airbnb landlord serfdom or something like that. You're going to need to be monetizing the asset immediately to afford the loan.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

god this is all so hosed

$400000 at 3% interest is $12,000 a year you pay to the bank as thanks

$400000 at 7% is $28000

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

so had an hour conversation with our lender yesterday about something like this and we locked in the interest rate right now because it ain’t goin down also dude is telling me the housing market may be +12% next year so poo poo is going to get worse however I wonder what the impact will be though for people who want to sell and the diminishing amount of buyers who can pay, even with previous house equity and/or first time buyers.

in costal or big city markets this will be severe and in poorer areas probably dire.

but it will just go on it seems and everyone will be in debt to their eyeballs.

My realtor told me the problem isn't a lack of buyers, it's a lack of sellers. Supply is a tenth what it usually is here this time of year because people who have < 4% mortgages can't afford to move up.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Maybe they should build more government subsidized houses, like we did 1936-1977 or so? idk, just spitballing here

Broke: five over ones
Woke: khrushchevkas

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Paradoxish posted:

Not saying this is at all true for the OP, but lots of buyers really are not fully grasping how dire the housing market situation is. People are running out and getting mortgages that are absolutely redlining their DTI and still thinking it makes sense to obsess over whether the kitchen flooring is a color they like. Every year there's a new generation of panic buyers who could have been the ones driving prices up with overbids a year earlier.

If you can't pay a mortgage in your area with one hand tied behind your back then the best house is the one you can afford right now that has the lowest likelihood of turning into a money pit a year from now.

I'm intentionally buying at half what I'm approved for. I'm going to make an offer on a <1200sqft 3br on less than a quarter acre. It's just blocks from my kids' schools for the next 12 years in an old mining town an hour from the city. I'm fortunate to even find this house in this localized market. There aren't many buyers here, especially at the gentrifying price of 230k. Anything closer to the city would be 300k+ for money pits, and 400k+ for anything actually liveable. The area I'm buying in is actually deflating, simply because it's a small town that doesn't even have a QT or Chick-fil-A.

tl;dr I'm about to try it in a small town

anonumos has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Jul 27, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was talking to a younger coworker about her plans to buy a home and the only silver lining she came up with is that "well, you can always refinance but you can't ever change the principle purchase price so I'm hoping prices go down even if rates don't."

she's right about the principle but I don't know if "you can always refinance" is true right now unless your timeline for that is super long.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My realtor told me the problem isn't a lack of buyers, it's a lack of sellers. Supply is a tenth what it usually is here this time of year because people who have < 4% mortgages can't afford to move up.

Institutional buyers are going to continue to exert upward price pressure under almost any circumstance. Landlording never goes out of style.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
fwiw id take anything a real estate agent or mortgage broker/loan officer says with a huge grain of salt. they are absolutely feeling the squeeze and are highly motivated to maintain the status quo of high prices.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I was talking to a younger coworker about her plans to buy a home and the only silver lining she came up with is that "well, you can always refinance but you can't ever change the principle purchase price so I'm hoping prices go down even if rates don't."

she's right about the principle but I don't know if "you can always refinance" is true right now unless your timeline for that is super long.

really happy to see someone with that kind of commitment to doing big short references irl, good movie

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ammanas posted:

fwiw id take anything a real estate agent or mortgage broker/loan officer says with a huge grain of salt. they are absolutely feeling the squeeze and are highly motivated to maintain the status quo of high prices.

This is true but "there are plenty of buyers" is also broadly correct right now; prices dipped for like a split second before big institutional buyers jumped back in and started snarfing up houses again.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i am harry posted:

god this is all so hosed

$400000 at 3% interest is $12,000 a year you pay to the bank as thanks

$400000 at 7% is $28000

inflation is back to normal so it all evens out. dont worry!

Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

I'm intentionally buying at half what I'm approved for. I'm going to make an offer on a <1200sqft 3br on less than a quarter acre. It's just blocks from my kids' schools for the next 12 years in an old mining town an hour from the city. I'm fortunate to even find this house in this localized market. There aren't many buyers here, especially at the gentrifying price of 230k. Anything closer to the city would be 300k+ for money pits, and 400k+ for anything actually liveable. The area I'm buying in is actually deflating, simply because it's a small town that doesn't even have a QT or Chick-fil-A.

My loan officer tried to talk me up in price as an "investment in your retirement" and wanted to loan me up to ~$700K. absolutely loving insane

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ah yea retirement

That’s where I sell my house and give all the money to a health care facility

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
the house im hoping to get accepted on was built in 1921 lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Institutional buyers are going to continue to exert upward price pressure under almost any circumstance. Landlording never goes out of style.

It's also developers. High prices in my neighborhood are basically locked in for the foreseeable future because all the new construction is in the $800k-1.2m range. Average prices on this street were like $200k when we moved here, now the median for existing homes is somewhere around $450-500k for something livable and not too large.

All this new development is dragging everything up with it because nobody is going to ask for $300k when a slightly larger (and probably more poorly constructed) house across the street is selling for $1m. Hell, you can probably do better just selling your house to one of the developers and letting them knock it down to build a new LUXURY home.

Apr 7, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

that's a young and healthy house around here. mine was built in the 1860s

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

This is true but "there are plenty of buyers" is also broadly correct right now; prices dipped for like a split second before big institutional buyers jumped back in and started snarfing up houses again.

yeah and if "normal people" stop participating in the market institutions will buy up even more inventory. its a dystopic catch 22. the cash reserves and cheap lines of credit institutions have must be obliterated but the country has been put on the rails to be absolutely dominated by finance so that'll never happen, just more burden on working folk with higher rates.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Our property assessment jumped up by an absolutely crazy amount after the most recent development down the street finished construction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Our property assessment jumped up by an absolutely crazy amount after the most recent development down the street finished construction.

that sucks . it’s better when they dealt reassessments for a long time to prevent that kind of poo poo

but property tax is a whole thing and a deep topic

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this was a p good ep on recent housing trends and some prognosticating about the year or 2 ahead that's probably not anything groundbreaking for anyone itt but a good summation, tho the guest is with morgan stanley so some grains of salt should be taken

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1683388460936118273

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

that's a young and healthy house around here. mine was built in the 1860s

thats cool. this house comes with a slot panel for getting milk delivered in case that ever comes back in style.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

requiring houses to be owner occupied may help , which combined efforts to help renters

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

that sucks . it’s better when they dealt reassessments for a long time to prevent that kind of poo poo

but property tax is a whole thing and a deep topic

Honestly, it's fine. Our mill rate is incredibly low because our chuddy mayor-for-life doesn't care about things like infrastructure or the future as long as he can bribe developers and businesses into downtown.

What's lovely is that there were plans for large, affordable condo complexes on most of this land (like 100+ unit developments) for years and everyone here fought tooth and nail to stop them. A 60-year old white dude literally vandalized one of the developers' offices over it. Now the same land is getting ten 4000 sq. ft. McMansions instead.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

RadiRoot posted:

my current one is 1928 and if we didn’t have to move we’d be here for a long time. a well built 1920s house is solid.

some areas are mostly old houses anyway. 75%of the houses in my city were built before the 80s.

a friend lives in a 1917 house that is also real solid however the majority of those houses were carved out into apts like 30 years ago. some people convert them back if they can afford it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

requiring houses to be owner occupied may help , which combined efforts to help renters

yeah, ban corporate ownership and enact absolutely crushing taxes on owning multiple properties. but that is contrary to finances interests which are the interests of concern.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

It's also developers. High prices in my neighborhood are basically locked in for the foreseeable future because all the new construction is in the $800k-1.2m range. Average prices on this street were like $200k when we moved here, now the median for existing homes is somewhere around $450-500k for something livable and not too large.

once they have sold some units the developers have a huge incentive to not lower prices because the folks that have already bought get pissed. where I am I’m seeing developer new homes dropping a bit, but that’s probably because they are townhomes and SFH existing homes on decent lots are becoming available for less. inventory is still very very low, but it’s no longer a single digit number.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Ranter posted:

There are still houses in the bay area for 700k??

There are bay area houses for $500k, but you have to live next to black and brown people, so its not like a goon would ever buy them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

There are bay area houses for $500k, but you have to live next to black and brown people, so its not like a goon would ever buy them.

'bay area' doing a lot of work there tho

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Ammanas posted:

'bay area' doing a lot of work there tho

Like how? Oakland, San Pablo, Vallejo are all cities that touch the bay area water.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

homes should be for living not for profit

You say that, but when China said it as official policy it nearly destroyed their housing sector within a year and people were paying mortgages toward housing unbuilt by developers fleeing the asset bubble. So, in truth, who is to say what is good. Maybe profit is more important than your house. Have you given that any thoughts? Any consideration of number?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

watch out for this scam y'all

quote:

Two men suspected of posing as local construction contractors and deliberately damaging homes in the Twin Cities have been arrested, officials said Wednesday.

The men, 18 and 20 years old, are from England and now in federal custody thanks to a Minnetonka homeowner who grew suspicious of the duo's pitch to do a free inspection.

That sales job, according to Minnetonka police, involved the two men showing homeowners photos of damage they insisted needed to be repaired and sometimes offered to drive the unsuspecting potential clients to the bank to provide payment.

On Monday, a homeowner contacted police with concerns about contractors offering to repair the chimney on her home, according to police.

"The crew presented photos of damage to the chimney," a police statement read. "She later found broken chimney pieces laying on the ground in her backyard. The homeowner contacted the company listed on a handwritten invoice, Advantage Construction, and discovered the work crew had no connection to the local firm."

Police Capt. Andy Gardner said the woman "in this case did what we want people to do. She asked the work crew for identification and more information. When it didn't make sense, she called the police."

Police detectives went to the home on Sunset Trail the next day and waited for the suspects to return and arrested them. The Department of Homeland Security assisted with identifying the individuals as being from England. The two teenagers traveling with them are in protective custody, police said.

Minnetonka police are working with other law enforcement agencies and contractors to determine how many cases are out there and the extent of the damage. The suspects could face charges that include theft and criminal damage to property.

The crew also targeted residents in recent weeks in Robbinsdale, said Police Capt. John Elder.

In one instance, Elder said, the crew told a man he had "a loose or missing shingle, and for $200 they'll fix it."

The crew went about ripping off half the roof, the resident kicked the men off his property and they "were never to be seen again."

An elderly woman told police she agreed with the men that she needed a new roof and would pay them $10,000.

"She wrote the check for $10,000 but said don't cash it yet, because there wasn't enough in her account but there would be when the work is done," Elder said.

The men left, and the woman wisely stopped payment on the check, Elder said.

"We want to make sure homeowners take a few simple steps when it comes to working with contractors," Minnetonka's Gardner said. "Ask to see company information and a state license. Don't sign any contracts before you have verified the information. And do not pay for any repairs in cash."

https://www.startribune.com/police-2-posing-as-contractors-target-west-metro-homeowners-with-roof-repair-scam/600292656/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

maybe they shouldn’t have money at all if they’re getting duped by this level of operation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I wanna live in the same unincorporated Menlo Park neighborhood I grew up in during the 90s, complete with neighbors who did things for a living like teach kids and fix shitters. That’s my real home, not the east bay, and especially not places we only visited back in the day to stop for gas on the way to Tahoe. :colbert: