Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mycot posted:

I don't think "the female lead goes evil and crazy and has to be killed" and "a random kid becomes King" are generic crowd pleasers either, the problem is that they obviously just dropped in the book ending regardless of how much sense it made for the show. Like I guarantee those things are 100% GRRM.

Which is fine because the problem with Daenerys was the abruptness in the show. Her ending would be fine with longer development.

Similarly from what I hear Bran has a lot more in the books that wouldn’t turn it into a nothing side character taking the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Which is fine because the problem with Daenerys was the abruptness in the show. Her ending would be fine with longer development.

Also GRRM probably wouldn't have her forget an entire fleet with dragon-killing weapons.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I absolutely don't understand any take that Scott ending up Knives would be a good ending or good for either of them. It's a destructive and unhealthy relationship and presented as one from, almost literally, page 1. Scott is reeling from a breakup and has retreated into immaturity, dating a girl who's way too young for him that he can casually manipulate, because she's had a sheltered upbringing and this is her first relationship, so she has no experiences to judge what's going on here against.

And Scott is a really bad person; again, they've got characters saying this right out loud, to his face, in Volume 1. He's charming enough to get away with it, at least at the start, but he's awful. He mooches off his friends for everything, he pays for nothing, he has no job, he takes no responsibilities.

Ramona is introduced to jolt Scott out of his rut. She initially comes across as a prize to be won and verging on Manic Pixie Dream Girl status, but that's because that's how Scott sees her. She's actually very much a foil to Scott himself. She's got more experience than he does (definitely in relationships, possibly in life; she certainly comes across as being older than him). She's reeling from an even worse breakup. And, crucially, she's an even better manipulator. Whereas Scott was merrily leading Knives around, Ramona has him jumping through hoops, and he's immediately roped into dealing with her bullshit for her.

Scott dating Ramona forces all three of them to grow up. Knives has to confront that she's not living in a fairy tale where she marries the first cute boy who smiles at her; she gets her heart broken and discovers that actually, the relationship she thought was loving was really lovely. Ramona, who is a bit further along on her path than Scott is on his (she's willing to admit past wrongdoing and that she can be a bad person) has to get off the goddamn sidelines and start dealing with her own bullshit, and then learn to stay still and take a blow rather than running away and transforming herself in the hopes that her past won't find her again.

Scott, who is the protagonist and thus has the most to learn, does the most growing. Rather than running from his sins, he's so in denial of them that he disassociates from them, externalizing them into "Nega-Scott". But it's a lie and it can't survive. Nothing's the same for Scott after Envy bitterly tells him that no, she's not okay, he just headbutted her boyfriend to death. All of a sudden, he sees that Knives is not okay, and Kim starts getting through to him, and Ramona's not happy, and his band is breaking up, and his friends are sick of his poo poo. Eventually, isolated, he's forced to confront "Nega-Scott" and realizes that it's just him. He accepts his flaws, starts apologizing, and begins improving himself and mending fences.

With where each of them ends up, Scott getting back with Knives makes no goddamn sense. He never even wanted her, she was a convenient placeholder, and they both know it. He was horrible to her, and they both know it. She's much too good for him, and they both know that too. Scott and Ramona, on the other hand, had given each other a real chance. For Scott, Ramona was an actual return to adult relationships and opening up his heart again. For Ramona, Scott was a willingness to stay in one place and be just one person, even at the risk of drama. It didn't work, sure, because they were both too flawed for it to, but now that they're healthier, they can look back and realize that what they had was pretty good and, crucially, the worst case happened -- they broke up in rather bitter circumstances -- without the worst case happening. Scott didn't retreat back into false adolescence, he actually gained self-respect. Ramona didn't run back to Gideon and Scott didn't turn into an Evil Ex. Scott and Ramona didn't have to end up together again for the ending to be good, but there's nice grace notes that make it work really well, in my opinion. The fact that even after they broke up badly, they were both more unhappy apart. The cute joke that they reacted to the breakup in the exact same strange way. And the very literal metaphor of how Ramona's bag is destroyed in the final fight with Gideon, scattering her baggage all over the floor, and they just walk away and leave it there. They don't promise each other, and the ending doesn't give us, anything more than a second chance. They'll try again, and they fade to white. It's as good as you can hope for.

The movie loses a lot of the nuance because of how the entire sequence of events seems to get collapsed into a very eventful week, how Ramona does run back to Gideon, and how there isn't enough runtime for Scott to do basically any of his self-improvement and Ramona gets no time at all to have an inner life, and Scott and Knives have that Ninja Ninja Revolution sequence in the final fight showing that they're in sync now and they make a good team, but... I think test audiences revolted because it's still a bad idea. "Scott Pilgrim is dating a high schooler" was never a good thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

CapnAndy posted:

I absolutely don't understand any take that Scott ending up Knives would be a good ending or good for either of them. It's a destructive and unhealthy relationship and presented as one from, almost literally, page 1. Scott is reeling from a breakup and has retreated into immaturity, dating a girl who's way too young for him that he can casually manipulate, because she's had a sheltered upbringing and this is her first relationship, so she has no experiences to judge what's going on here against.

And Scott is a really bad person; again, they've got characters saying this right out loud, to his face, in Volume 1. He's charming enough to get away with it, at least at the start, but he's awful. He mooches off his friends for everything, he pays for nothing, he has no job, he takes no responsibilities.

Ramona is introduced to jolt Scott out of his rut. She initially comes across as a prize to be won and verging on Manic Pixie Dream Girl status, but that's because that's how Scott sees her. She's actually very much a foil to Scott himself. She's got more experience than he does (definitely in relationships, possibly in life; she certainly comes across as being older than him). She's reeling from an even worse breakup. And, crucially, she's an even better manipulator. Whereas Scott was merrily leading Knives around, Ramona has him jumping through hoops, and he's immediately roped into dealing with her bullshit for her.

Scott dating Ramona forces all three of them to grow up. Knives has to confront that she's not living in a fairy tale where she marries the first cute boy who smiles at her; she gets her heart broken and discovers that actually, the relationship she thought was loving was really lovely. Ramona, who is a bit further along on her path than Scott is on his (she's willing to admit past wrongdoing and that she can be a bad person) has to get off the goddamn sidelines and start dealing with her own bullshit, and then learn to stay still and take a blow rather than running away and transforming herself in the hopes that her past won't find her again.

Scott, who is the protagonist and thus has the most to learn, does the most growing. Rather than running from his sins, he's so in denial of them that he disassociates from them, externalizing them into "Nega-Scott". But it's a lie and it can't survive. Nothing's the same for Scott after Envy bitterly tells him that no, she's not okay, he just headbutted her boyfriend to death. All of a sudden, he sees that Knives is not okay, and Kim starts getting through to him, and Ramona's not happy, and his band is breaking up, and his friends are sick of his poo poo. Eventually, isolated, he's forced to confront "Nega-Scott" and realizes that it's just him. He accepts his flaws, starts apologizing, and begins improving himself and mending fences.

With where each of them ends up, Scott getting back with Knives makes no goddamn sense. He never even wanted her, she was a convenient placeholder, and they both know it. He was horrible to her, and they both know it. She's much too good for him, and they both know that too. Scott and Ramona, on the other hand, had given each other a real chance. For Scott, Ramona was an actual return to adult relationships and opening up his heart again. For Ramona, Scott was a willingness to stay in one place and be just one person, even at the risk of drama. It didn't work, sure, because they were both too flawed for it to, but now that they're healthier, they can look back and realize that what they had was pretty good and, crucially, the worst case happened -- they broke up in rather bitter circumstances -- without the worst case happening. Scott didn't retreat back into false adolescence, he actually gained self-respect. Ramona didn't run back to Gideon and Scott didn't turn into an Evil Ex. Scott and Ramona didn't have to end up together again for the ending to be good, but there's nice grace notes that make it work really well, in my opinion. The fact that even after they broke up badly, they were both more unhappy apart. The cute joke that they reacted to the breakup in the exact same strange way. And the very literal metaphor of how Ramona's bag is destroyed in the final fight with Gideon, scattering her baggage all over the floor, and they just walk away and leave it there. They don't promise each other, and the ending doesn't give us, anything more than a second chance. They'll try again, and they fade to white. It's as good as you can hope for.

The movie loses a lot of the nuance because of how the entire sequence of events seems to get collapsed into a very eventful week, how Ramona does run back to Gideon, and how there isn't enough runtime for Scott to do basically any of his self-improvement and Ramona gets no time at all to have an inner life, and Scott and Knives have that Ninja Ninja Revolution sequence in the final fight showing that they're in sync now and they make a good team, but... I think test audiences revolted because it's still a bad idea. "Scott Pilgrim is dating a high schooler" was never a good thing.
*Nods fervently*. Good post.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Want to see people's minds being blown by an adaptation of The Invisibles "Best Man Fall" where it seems like the story is just following some random guy's life and then at the very end you learn that he was one of the guards at the school from the first arc and the story ends with King Mob shooting him in the head.

People would just remember the gag from Austin Powers

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Good Scott Pilgrim movie thoughts. I loved the comics when they came out, and it was my favourite movie in highschool.

I've rewatch the movie a million times and have cooled on it somewhat (it's still a good movie but time, repetition and the Seinfeld effect are inevitable). I havent reread the books and it's a good time to do so, I imagine it reads very differently in your 30s than in highschool (yes you are old).

Fun note: in Hebrew the movie was retitled "My Girlfriend's Exes" which caused many a movie goers to abruptly depart the cinema when they realised it's not a cute romcom.
In modern home/streaming they pulled an Edge of Tomorrow and it's now called Scott Pilgrim:My Girlfriend's Exes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That is bizarre, as "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" is trivially easy to translate into Hebrew.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fangz posted:

*Nods fervently*. Good post.

:yeah:

I've always been cooler on the movie than most, I think Wright goes into overdrive with the editing tricks because I recall feeling exhausted in a bad way after seeing it in the theatre, and as noted the compression and omissions basically completely fucks with the actual story and themes, and the echoing of the DDR sequence is massively ill-judged because it frames Scott and Knives as this in-sync perfect team when it's SO easy to fix: They can't beat the level in the beginning because Scott keeps trying to quarterback and tell Knives what to do, and then in the ending, he and Ramona team up on Gideon and they nail the same moves, showing that him manipulating Knives was a failure on every level, even for what he wanted, but working with an equal partner and confronting her baggage but not letting it control either of you is the better 'play'.

Like, I just honestly don't think Wright gets the books.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
In the comic, does Scott sexually assault that one ex-girlfriend like he does in the movie?

I know that might be considered an exaggeration since we're talking about him touching the back of her knee, but it's kinda weird and gross that he defeats the one woman by intentionally sexually stimulating her against her will and she is killed by it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jamesman posted:

In the comic, does Scott sexually assault that one ex-girlfriend like he does in the movie?

I know that might be considered an exaggeration since we're talking about him touching the back of her knee, but it's kinda weird and gross that he defeats the one woman by intentionally sexually stimulating her against her will and she is killed by it.

Nope! They have a cool sword duel. In the books this is where Scott gets the sword of love the first time.

That book (book 4) is definitely the one that's worst served in the adaptation. In the comics it's the one about Scott finally starting to sort his life out. In the movie it's basically entirely cut.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 27, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

Similarly from what I hear Bran has a lot more in the books that wouldn’t turn it into a nothing side character taking the throne.

Not really, the last bit with Bran in the books is the end of season 4. Just about everything in the books was portrayed in the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but aren’t there two more due?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Aphrodite posted:

lmao

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The movie isn't the same story or even really the same character as the books, so citing things from the books to determine how the movie should have ended is kind of pointless.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hey, the WGA is on strike, so George has plenty of time to finish the next b- wahahaha, sorry, I almost got through typing that seriously. :roflolmao:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Aphrodite posted:

:allears:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I absolutely believe the last two books are coming out.

When GRRM dies and they get BrandoSando and the Expanse guys to team up and finish them off his notes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe he'll get hit by a car and rush them out and they'll be terrible

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i was just thinking about all these 'Barbenheimer' memes and thought if I were a good Social Media marketer I'd use this opportunity to advertise that margot robbie Tank Girl reboot. Seems like a NoBrainer

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i was just thinking about all these 'Barbenheimer' memes and thought if I were a good Social Media marketer I'd use this opportunity to advertise that margot robbie Tank Girl reboot. Seems like a NoBrainer

I feel like she probably wouldn't want to play what amounts to Harley Quinn But Less Marketable.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

site posted:

Spider-verse infecting every single form of Spidey media needs to die tbh

another entry in Dan Slott's long list of crimes

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Are they remaking Tank Girl? At least they're doing it with a movie that loving sucked rather than the usual move of making a lovely reboot of a good movie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
What is up with this Tank Girl slander.

But yeah, they said they were remaking it and last I heard Margot Robbie was attached. These kind of announcements are a dime a dozen though, so who knows if it's ever going to be anything. Remember when Brad Pitt was gonna do Akira?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not a huge surprise with what is going on but Beyond the Spider-Verse has been delayed with no new release date.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Not a huge surprise with what is going on but Beyond the Spider-Verse has been delayed with no new release date.

The Spot won.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey, the fact they are never going to come out doesn’t change that the story was intended to have that much more content!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Spider-Man: Beyond the Writers Strike

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Terrible news, everyone! Kraven has been delayed until next August. I hope we can all get through this difficult time together

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Opopanax posted:

Terrible news, everyone! Kraven has been delayed until next August. I hope we can all get through this difficult time together

Sony is delaying an already finished movie by a full year because they think "leading man Taylor-Johnson would need to engage in a worldwide press tour to open the visceral action project."

lol at the idea that Kraven is going to be a $600 million movie or that Aaron Taylor-Johnson doing interviews is going to add $400 million to the box office. Sony must have some extremely good stuff at HQ that the executives are smoking.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Instead of re-opening negotiations and actually paying actors and writers, they're going to delay everything indefinitely and cost themselves and countless others unfathomable amounts of money in the hopes that the unions will simply relent and let themselves be paid pennies to train their AI replacements.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Instead of re-opening negotiations and actually paying actors and writers, they're going to delay everything indefinitely and cost themselves and countless others unfathomable amounts of money in the hopes that the unions will simply relent and let themselves be paid pennies to train their AI replacements.

I mean forcing delays and loss of revenue is the point of the strikes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Late to Scott Pilgrim talk but I hope the upcoming animated adaptation is a bit more faithful than the movie was.

I like the movie, and like I get they had to compress the entire thing down to a single film and they didn't have the ending at the time, but man there's so much plot and characterization that's just not there in Wright's version that really hurts the whole thing overall.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hope the series includes the "best fighter in the province" line. Always loved that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I hope the series includes the "best fighter in the province" line. Always loved that.

It implies that someone over in BC or Quebec could kick Scott's rear end.

Vandar posted:

Late to Scott Pilgrim talk but I hope the upcoming animated adaptation is a bit more faithful than the movie was.

I like the movie, and like I get they had to compress the entire thing down to a single film and they didn't have the ending at the time, but man there's so much plot and characterization that's just not there in Wright's version that really hurts the whole thing overall.

Leaving out actually showing the backstory with him, Kim and their friend Lisa (I refreshed myself after this discussion and I forgot there's a whole thing where Ramona gets jealous of Lisa, with partial justification as she IS trying to hook up with Scott but he's not biting), or the fact that he caused the breakup with Envy is really bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also I liked part of envys back story was that she was a giant nerd and her change was not something Scott could handle.

Also animation is the only way Honest Ed's can live again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Marvels isn't getting an IMAX release due to Dune 2, which has a six week IMAX contract.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That sucks lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

At this point who knows if either movie actually sticks to their release dates.

If Dune 2 doesn't move I hope they at least have an early screening of The Marvels in IMAX.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marvels has been delayed several times already, I would think that they stick to the date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The President of IMAX doesn't think Dune 2 is going to move as they've already spent a lot of money on promotional material saying November, the cost of actually delaying it would eat into any potential extra profits and if they gave up their slot it would be extremely difficult to find another one as long.