Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Agents are GO! posted:

George: it was all a trick, Jerry!
Jerry: but why?
George: they garnered my energy!
Jerry: so, all your energy?
George: Garnered!

I thought this was a Dragon Ball joke for a moment here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Goku: "People of Earth! Allow me to garner your energy to defeat Cell!"
George: "NOT AGAIN!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
https://twitter.com/TylerGlaiel/status/1684235700437409793

Tyler's not the idiot. Only god knows who is, but they're definitely out there.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Jul 27, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Astroturf? :words:
"Who is astroturf?"
The question has haunted the minds of those witnessing the upheaval of our world. It echoes through the corridors of power and resonates within the hearts of those who seek the truth. Astroturf is the enigma that looms large in the background, an elusive force that challenges the status quo and upends the established order. Just like Peter from Family Guy, it's a character that seems both baffling and intriguing at the same time. The world is shifting, and the very foundations of society tremble under the weight of unseen hands. As the gears of industry grind to a halt and the pillars of innovation crumble, one cannot help but wonder: Who is astroturf? Is it a single individual, a genius of unfathomable intellect and power? Or is it an idea, an ideology that has taken root in the hearts of men, spreading like wildfire, igniting the flames of change? Astroturf represents the defiance of the common narrative, the rise of the unorthodox, and the rallying cry of those who seek to reclaim their destinies. It's like Peter, the lovable yet unpredictable character from Family Guy, always stirring up unexpected situations with his unique charm. Some may dismiss astroturf as a myth, a mere figment of imagination, but its impact is undeniable. It inspires the innovators to innovate, the dreamers to dream, and the pioneers to forge new paths forward. But, alas, the question remains unanswered: Who is astroturf? In the quest for truth, we must look beyond the surface, beyond the smoke and mirrors of deception. We must delve into the depths of our souls, seeking the essence of astroturf, for it is not merely an individual or a concept—it is a force that resides within each of us. The world may mock and scorn the question, but it will not be silenced. It will echo through the ages until its riddle is unraveled, and the truth is laid bare for all to see. So I ask you, my friends, my fellow seekers of truth: Who is astroturf? Look within, and you may find the answer. Embrace the spirit of astroturf, channeling the essence of Peter from Family Guy, and perhaps, together, we can shape the course of history and pave the way to a brighter future.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Astro Turf is about a guy whose lawn died so he made an artificial replacement

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Turf or Astroturf?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that's MR turf

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Is he related to Mr Clean?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

teen witch posted:

Turf or Astroturf?

Destroy All Astroturf!

(drat, it's been forever since I listened to them.)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

oldpainless posted:

Mods change my name to Racism Dunk Slot Machine

more like oldcharacterlimitless

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A dude in my neighborhood got fed up with maintaining a his small yard, so he had it paved and covered with Astroturf.

Which worked great, until he met a woman and had children, and realized you can't let toddlers play on concrete.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Pearl appears to be approaching terminal velocity with these takes as of late
https://twitter.com/RightWingCope/status/1684378764115943425?t=NoekLZJqxyKinicnIhdQug&s=19

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean her whole brand is pretending turning 25 turns women into dust.

Which is incredibly funny as she is single and over 25

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Surely the leopards won’t eat her face

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is she the one who made that "Hitler had some good ideas but the Jews won't let you talk about it" sing-songy video

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did not watch her recent guitar video but I assume yes.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I did not watch her recent guitar video but I assume yes.

ukulele

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did she also do a ukulele or was that just the nonce youtuber?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the Hitler crooner played guitar

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

steinrokkan posted:

Is she the one who made that "Hitler had some good ideas but the Jews won't let you talk about it" sing-songy video

Yes

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ukulele!
White supremacy is twee
Ukulele!
Rehabilitate Nazis
Ukulele!
Come on and join the Elon stans
Ukulele
Until the Twitter X rebrand

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are we supposed to know who this is because I can't keep any of these people straight any more

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Heath posted:

Are we supposed to know who this is because I can't keep any of these people straight any more

Pearl is this young woman who makes videos on YouTube about how all of women's problems are due to feminism and leftism and etc etc but she keeps self owning because for a lady that likes to throw shade on the appearance of other women she herself is rather plain looking and can't nail the thirst trap aspect of her grift the same way other tradwife youtubers manage.

She herself is also single (and previously divorced) which kind of contradicts a lot of her arguments since she's certainly not acting like she exists as a warning to other women. And because of her rather benign appearance she doesn't seem to be very good at getting the attention of incel simps either.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Can't tell if anon is comparing American shows with Japanese shows or American comics with Japanese comics.

https://twitter.com/greentexts_bot/status/1684406598310006787?t=xU5Dl7ufU35SyCKeg81t8g&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She's desperately clout chasing by playing second fiddle on a bunch of MRA weirdo podcasts, but I can't imagine how a personal brand would work, given that she seems to primarily exist to just agree with them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

OwlFancier posted:

She's desperately clout chasing by playing second fiddle on a bunch of MRA weirdo podcasts, but I can't imagine how a personal brand would work, given that she seems to primarily exist to just agree with them.

it's not a fiddle it's a ukulele plz keep up

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

A dude in my neighborhood got fed up with maintaining a his small yard, so he had it paved and covered with Astroturf.

Which worked great, until he met a woman and had children, and realized you can't let toddlers play on concrete.
It was good enough for all six Brady kids plus Tiger and Cousin Oliver.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I put astro turf down as a living room carpet and it was a fuckin great decision.

Downside is, the little plastic grass gets everywhere. Like, there's fake grass in the bathroom I have to sweep up.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

What is astroturf, who is astroturf, has anybody though to ask HOW is astroturf?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

credburn posted:

I put astro turf down as a living room carpet and it was a fuckin great decision.

Downside is, the little plastic grass gets everywhere. Like, there's fake grass in the bathroom I have to sweep up.

please tell me you have little cups sunk into the floor here and there, so your living room is just a putting green.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bulletsponge13 posted:

Well not with that attitude!

(Also, RIP his drainage.)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

credburn posted:

Why would you go out of your way to make your home even uglier?

Do you put out lawn flamingos as decoration like a sim?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Panfilo posted:

Can't tell if anon is comparing American shows with Japanese shows or American comics with Japanese comics.

https://twitter.com/greentexts_bot/status/1684406598310006787?t=xU5Dl7ufU35SyCKeg81t8g&s=19

They're comparing very specifically Vinland Saga, a historical fiction manga about Vikings, to American media output in general, I think.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Are they suggesting that there is zero depictions of vikings in western media that conform to their idealistic concept of them?

Not to mention the fact that I've seen anime/manga depict some minorities as shockingly racist, like black characters being these donut lipped ogres. I mean look at Terraformars ffs! Or *shudder* Goblin Slayer. It's funny how anime/manga as a whole gets praised as being somehow so much more artistically "pure" than western counterparts but there's some pretty goddamn cringe counter examples.

There's anime/manga I enjoy for being visually beautiful/having a compelling story, but for every Spirited Away there's a hundred cookie cutter and or egregiously culturally insensitive/misogynist pap.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

my response is that we have already won the media war and its only a matter of time until every anime is gay, trans, and woke as hell

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s funny about that is Vinland Saga is just more Vikings poo poo it’s the same as any other Viking poo poo because Viking poo poo has the most predictable tropes of any historical fiction group

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Panfilo posted:

Not to mention the fact that I've seen anime/manga depict some minorities as shockingly racist, like black characters being these donut lipped ogres. I mean look at Terraformars ffs! Or *shudder* Goblin Slayer. It's funny how anime/manga as a whole gets praised as being somehow so much more artistically "pure" than western counterparts but there's some pretty goddamn cringe counter examples.

I was a lovely nerdy teenager checking out High School of the Dead, because "BOOBS AND GUNS, BRO!!!". Unless I'm forgetting a character, the only black person in the entire series is a random dude (complete with bling!) who assaults the main female character in a very fan-servicey scene, which even back then, I went "UM, what the gently caress is this racist poo poo?!"

I had an acquaintance try to recommend Goblin Slayer to me and my partner a few years ago, and after five minutes of looking into the show, we never spoke to that person again. :dance:

tokin opposition posted:

my response is that we have already won the media war and its only a matter of time until every anime is gay, trans, and woke as hell

I sure fuckin' hope so. :hai:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The newest Gundam anime features a lesbian protagonist who gets gay married at the end.

Anime spans a pretty wide range of political viewpoints, from raging nationalists to gay space communists. Taking a single example and claiming it to be representative of the whole is pretty myopic.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Tarezax posted:

The newest Gundam anime features a lesbian protagonist who gets gay married at the end.

Anime spans a pretty wide range of political viewpoints, from raging nationalists to gay space communists. Taking a single example and claiming it to be representative of the whole is pretty myopic.

I was passing through the manga section of my local bookstore last month, and I was pleased to see a whole section of LGBT+ manga! As in, "this is a biographical-style story of a gay/trans protagonist", not a bunch of yaoi.

This was the main one, which is apparently quite sweet (despite the jokey-seeming title):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Think_Our_Son_Is_Gay

I also spotted this, by the same person who did Rose of Versailles (also a great LGBT+ story). This is apparently manga's first trans protagonist! (Unfortunately, the title of the story is the main character's dead name, but for the 1980s, this is probably still hella "woke".)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudine_(manga)

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

oh yeah we're getting more and more queer manga and more gay and trans characters in anime by the year

my personal go-to rec is Our Dreams at Dusk, there's a LGBT media thread in ADTRW if you want several hundred pages of recs.