Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

both my 9305-16e and my 9305-24i cards are LSI lol. respectfully, it kind of feels like you are out of the loop and haven't read the things I have typed. I respect it though. I don't read things either.
Yeah, sure - the issue is that I don't know something, and it's got nothing to do with you not using a search engine properly, and instead expecting to be handed everything on a silver platter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Spending $7500 on harddrives and shelves, but not being willing to spend a bit of time to read up on basic sysadmin poo poo like upgrading firmware on a controller ... that's just intellectual laziness and I'm not going to handhold anyone like that again.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, sure - the issue is that I don't know something, and it's got nothing to do with you not using a search engine properly, and instead expecting to be handed everything on a silver platter.

bro I have no idea what the gently caress you are talking about. chill the gently caress out. You suggested that

I'm still not sure I understand the problem, other than not using a LSI/Awago/Broadcom HBA.

And I am telling you that my cards are LSI brand. And suggested reading my multiple posts where I stated they were LSI brand. See the bold

Windows 98 posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, we got him

I got them to show up with my internal SAS controller. So it was definitely the LSI 9305-16e HBA fighting me. I checked and the firmware is 2 versions behind the internal SAS card. I literally cannot find version 16 of the firmware so I can't attempt to cross flash. I can find version 14, which is what it already has. Sad! I contacted the ebay seller and he is going to send me a card he has already tested the shelves on and knows it works. Good ebay seller. If the card works I will just pay him for the card. I have a feeling it will have SAS2 firmware and not SAS3. Hopefully that is fine with the SAS3 drives. If it is not I will kill myself, then start looking to find someone who knows how to flash these loving cards and pay them money to fix it and send it back to me.

Windows 98 posted:

Circling back to this. I think this may be my issue? I went back to the documentation for the HBA card I got and noticed that there is a "Version of software supported" that is listed as "Data ONTAP 8.2.3 and later". Asked ChatGPT if that card is able to be used in any system outside of NetApp ONTAP and it seems to think it's a toss up and that the HBA card I have is technically not designed for random systems. I think in my effort to try and get everything to be NetApp/compatible I may have actually done the exact opposite. I feel like the only thing I haven't eliminated is card or firmware incompatibility.

So I did some more asking for a known-to-be-working HBA card that is compatible with the DS4246 shelf and TrueNAS. Picked up an LSI SAS9305-16e and the cables for it. Hopefully I haven't wasted $300 for nothing and this makes it work! Pray for me.

And provided a reddit post where I ALSO say they are LSI brand

Windows 98 posted:

Hey there again. If you recall from some posts a few pages back I am on a disk shelf installation adventure and still having problems. I summed it up in this Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/152mb2b/issues_connecting_netapp_ds4246_with_truenas_scale/ and I wanted to cross post it here to see if anyone can offer any insight as well. Would be a huge W if y'all could give it a quick read. I tried to be thorough as possible. I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

I know with 1000% certainty that my 9305-24i (main internal SAS controller for the 24 internal bays) is working, and uses the same connection type. It has been chugging away with no problems, running ZFS/IT firmware for the better part of a year. All 24 internal HDDs, which are the same model as the ones in the shelves, are working as intended on that card. So I am going to try and just run the cables from the shelf to this known-to-be-working card instead of the new 9305-16e and see if they get detected. At least that will likely pinpoint if I am running into an issue with the shelf or the card. I am kind of praying it is the HBA card. Because I don't even know where to begin in terms of ripping apart the shelf itself to test there. Someone in the reddit thread suggested checking for interposers. The shelf is from eBay so I don't know maybe there is a miniscule chance I got two shelves with 48 interposers for SATA and it was never on the listing, and I never felt any problems on a physical level connecting the disks in the bays.

Any other suggestions would be so very helpful.

And regarding "wanting everything handed to me on a silver platter", gently caress off bud. I have very clearly come in here with detailed descriptions of my equipment and what trouble shooting I have done on multiple occasions. You are a negative person. Smoke some weed about it bro.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Wibla posted:

Spending $7500 on harddrives and shelves, but not being willing to spend a bit of time to read up on basic sysadmin poo poo like upgrading firmware on a controller ... that's just intellectual laziness and I'm not going to handhold anyone like that again.

Again. Read my poo poo. Per my reddit post linked (and you can find again right above in the previous post

Windows98 on Reddit posted:

I have read in-full the HBA crossflash guide, and done some looking around about the firmware aspects of this.

Yall coming in hot calling me an idiot and you don't even read what I am typing. Whack.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Windows 98 posted:

These cards are like $300. Spending $1000 on 3 different cards for getting shelves to connect is not an ideal situation and I would love to mitigate the cost as much as I can. I already spent $7500 on shelves and hard drives. I am not made of money lol. So thus the question becomes, who knows how to properly flash the firmware on these cards and how much would something like that cost.

The internet knows how to flash them, and now you do too, you got it served on a silver platter.

Windows 98 posted:

And regarding "wanting everything handed to me on a silver platter", gently caress off bud. I have very clearly come in here with detailed descriptions of my equipment and what trouble shooting I have done on multiple occasions. You are a negative person. Smoke some weed about it bro.

We can also go with "I can plug things together and click on things in a GUI, but the CLI is scary" if you'd like? We're all idiots on the internet, I don't get paid to help you with this poo poo, but I did anyway. Now I regret it.

To not be a complete and utterly irredeemable rear end in a top hat, I will tell you what I would do in the same situation, and no I haven't bothered re-reading your posts before posting:
With SAS, the first troubleshooting step is usually to verify that the cable isn't literally broken, and then check (and update!) the firmware. Something that is straightforward on the LSI/Broadcom cards.

Snark about "shouldn't have bought LSI" aside, the process is basically identical for other types of cards as well.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Wibla posted:

no I haven't bothered re-reading your posts before postin

This is my point.

If you read the reddit post linked you can see all the CLI commands, with screenshots, of the things I did during troubleshooting. I am not afraid of running CLI commands. While I am not a sysadmin I am a software engineer and I extensively work with Linux boxes and CLI every single day of my life. You are just being a jerk. I have posted in depth and thorough information about my situation. Which addresses the things you're complaining that I am too lazy to do.

I dunno man. You're just being mean for no reason. You chose to not read my posts. You then act like a jerk, even in the last post you made. Like you feel you have to walk away from this being the "winner". And that you regret even offering advice to begin with. That's weirdo behavior, dude. There is no reason for animosity. Yeah, I did dig through my previous posts and link the receipts to all the things you brought up. Maybe that's embarrassing to get called out so you are lashing out in a way like "who cares about this internet loser gently caress him". Sure. I get it dude. It is indeed the internet. You don't owe me anything. But just some unsolicited advice, it costs you nothing to understand what is being discussed, and it costs you nothing to not come in slinging around bullshit at people when you didn't even loving read the posts.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 27, 2023

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Wibla posted:

Hate to break it to you bud but you too are being a loving dickhead for no reason. I can spend my money however I see fit. Your comment is especially obnoxious because I have already said on multiple occasions I looked into how the flashing of firmware on a controller works. I even posted what guide I had used as a source. Excuse me for double checking and asking people for more advice. What a crime. How audacious of me to assume yall are actually reading the things I have typed that confirm the things you are being so snide about were already looked into. It was not until very recently when I came in here saying I compared the firmware versions that I noticed one was further behind than the other (which still seems like it's dumb and unlikely the problem, and that the card should work on v14 firmware, but thats besides the point).

You guys are so quick to jerk each other off about being right you forgot this thread exists to help people with problems who may not know as much as you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody is going to go and read some post on Reddit and then reply here, sorry

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

bro I have no idea what the gently caress you are talking about. chill the gently caress out. You suggested that

And I am telling you that my cards are LSI brand. And suggested reading my multiple posts where I stated they were LSI brand. See the bold

I apologize, I was remembering you as the person using PMC-Sierra branded Microsemi controllers - specifically because of the confusion surrounding squares and circles (which isn't really a way of defining standardized connectors).

I also can't visit Reddit, because it's NXDOMAIN'd in nsd on my network gateway, because of the whole thing involving CNN and Anderson Cooper.

That said, if you want the kind of support that it seems you're looking for, it's not gonna be from me - because I've got chronic exhaustion that means I can't spend several hours guiding anyone through it, either via posts on a forum, or anywhere else.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody is going to go and read some post on Reddit and then reply here, sorry

Such is their prerogative

I am not really interested in a negative back and forth. It does not solve anything or make anything better for either party. I appreciate the advice and insight offered. Thank you. I apologize for inconveniencing you. In the future I will try and consolidate my questions into one post so that they are easier to decipher without needing to back track. I hope you guys have a good day. Thank you again for the help.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My work is giving me our old Drobo B800i since we're not going to be using anything Drobo in the future. My coworker mentioned somehow replacing the (lovely) Drobo software with FreeNAS. Is that even possible? I hate the Drobo Dashboard software I was forced to install whenever I had to interact with these things, and would gladly replace it, if feasible. Plus, I'd rather do that sooner rather than later, given that they dropped supporting these things, and before I get all my data on it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I haven't heard of replacing the system software that Drobo has with FreeNAS - it's an appliance, it's not really designed to be tinkered with the same way off-the-shelf hardware is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a decade old embedded device with a slow ARM CPU on it and 1GB RAM, you'd be wasting your time trying to use it for anything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If it's a decade-old ARM CPU, it's 32bit.

The only way to get 64bit programmagic functions is to run FreeBSD on a i386 processor (it's the only OS that implements it), and ZFS needs 64bit functions in order to not break the atomic transactional nature of its design.

So yeah, avoid at all costs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it still works then see what they're worth on eBay, see if someone is desperate enough to still need to maintain them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a decade old embedded device with a slow ARM CPU on it and 1GB RAM, you'd be wasting your time trying to use it for anything.

This. I've come across them exactly once at work and it was an order of magnitude worse than even a Synology/QNAP-tier device. Just ungodly slow.

I'd only use one if it was free, and I was only going to use it for the absolute lowest-performance backup solution. Even then I'd be wary because of how out of date the software is.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Windows 98 posted:

Hate to break it to you bud but you too are being a loving dickhead for no reason. I can spend my money however I see fit. Your comment is especially obnoxious because I have already said on multiple occasions I looked into how the flashing of firmware on a controller works. I even posted what guide I had used as a source. Excuse me for double checking and asking people for more advice. What a crime. How audacious of me to assume yall are actually reading the things I have typed that confirm the things you are being so snide about were already looked into. It was not until very recently when I came in here saying I compared the firmware versions that I noticed one was further behind than the other (which still seems like it's dumb and unlikely the problem, and that the card should work on v14 firmware, but thats besides the point).

You guys are so quick to jerk each other off about being right you forgot this thread exists to help people with problems who may not know as much as you.

It exists to solve problems, but you have to have at least the base level of awareness where your posts of "I'll just pay somebody" and "I can't bothered to learn how to do some basic poo poo" will rub people up the wrong way when they're giving more advice than they are being paid to.

Treating the thread like a support ticket is a oval office move just because you dropped 10 grand on hardware you clearly have gently caress all understanding of.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IOwnCalculus posted:

This. I've come across them exactly once at work and it was an order of magnitude worse than even a Synology/QNAP-tier device. Just ungodly slow.

I'd only use one if it was free, and I was only going to use it for the absolute lowest-performance backup solution. Even then I'd be wary because of how out of date the software is.

I looked at a teardown to see if you could throw the mainboard away and bring a SAS connector out to the rear of the chassis so you could at least use the enclosure, but nope, it's all super proprietary.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A free Drobo? sounds like someone didn't want to deal with their own e-waste :haw:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was our lab equipment storage until we moved about 4 months ago. It's just been sitting on a rack. Don't worry, we have another one in our production data center, and another one for disk images at the main office! :haw: (We're slowly building out a new data center so we can upgrade the previous, and that Drobo will likely be scrapped at that point.)

Yeah, I'm keeping it for free. It's probably going to be my bluray rip storage area, so nothing I'm accessing on the regular. My existing Synology is getting full, and my budget to upgrade that is zero dollars.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

well if you guys are done being grumpy...

the HBA from the ebay guy came in and works

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know a good way to recover an old .bkf backup file?

I'm going through old drives and trying to sort out my mess of backups. I'm not super proficient with computers, just ok, and the directions I'm seeing require software that seems potentially sketchy.

I'm using windows 11.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

oh asrock you so crazy... do matx and get full 8ch memory and route out all your IO properly. One month no ketamine.

I love that oculink 4i42p uses more or less a displayport knockoff, it makes sense the evolution is convergent given the datarates for display and pcie offload

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wibla posted:

I had no idea you could run anything other than the same bios/firmware pair. I just nervously flashed both to whatever version the internet recommended. upgraded my ancient free sas2 card (9207?) to IT mode and now it runs a tape drive, A+ would flash again for $0

(just build a freedos usb stick with rufus, then extract the zip onto it. then msdos like it's 1992/follow internet guides for specific commands)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 28, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Windows 98 posted:

hey fyi legit suggestion here, those shelves use off-the-shelf dell-compellent xyratex IOMs. forget whatever netapp's proprietary bullshit is, the modules are swappable and then you just have an external SAS diskshelf.

If you’re absolutely positive you’ve got the card flashed right, and that it's working, that’s the next thing… swap out the brains on the shelf and see if anything else improves.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/experiences-with-netapp-ds4243.32898/

the one I got from a different article back when was Dell p/n: 0952913-07 (I think 4246 just uses 4x of them?)

or try a different SAS card and see if the SAS card is just hosed up.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 29, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, not going to lie, I am lollin' at "per my reddit post." But if we could all take a deep breath that would be awesome. If you don't want to help someone, don't. And don't be a dick when asking for help. God bless and amen. Love you, NAS thread.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
but that was some of the most entertaining posting in months, IE!

still working on my NAS refresh, looking for some case options. 6-8 20TB drives, maybe 10-12 eventually. ATX for one of the supermicro epyc boards discussed a couple pages ago. was hoping for something not quite as pricey as the define XL but if that's the best option I'll just go with that. Trying to keep it under 3 grand but lol, $2100 in storage alone for 100tb. Hopefully some good shuck deals come around.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

M.2 can be SATA or PCIe (ie. NVMe) depending on keying and what controller it's connected to - but in general SATA < SAS < NVMe is a good rule of thumb.

The technical details basically just boil down to the number of disk operation queues and their size: SATA has 1 queue that can fit 32 items, SAS has 2 queues that can fit 64 items, and NVMe has 65536 queues that can fit 65536 items.
Endurance is measured in Drive Writes Per Day, and a good enterprise drive will usually be able to do several TB/day.

right but the OWC shuttle will take 4x consumer NVMe M.2s (2280 max) and puts them in a 3.5" U.2 formfactor. That's actually fine with like the define 7 xl or similar, you can have a silly number of drive trays in the front of the storage configuration and they've got the intake fans blowing right over them, and a little bit of a heatsink shape, etc. It's got a PLX switch chip so any one of them can run at full speed (although of course total bandwidth is limited to x4).

(or there's the Asus Hyper M.2 cards, which do 4 drives via bifurcation. The PCIe 3.0 versions are like under $50 now. But without the PLX switch chip you don't get the fanout factor, you could run a whole bunch of M.2 shuttles on one SAS trimode 16i card, and consumers are fine with low bandwidth density if it lets you get a bunch of storage in. And unfortunately on the Hyper M.2 cards many of my board's slots are not x16, or lose some lanes if you put something in slot X, etc.)

MP34 4TB is like $160 right now (lol), not an insanely high-end drive but it's midrange TLC with DRAM, perfectly fine for bulk NAS storage. There's various of the Ultrastar DC630 for 8TB for like $350-550 iirc, not sure what's real/what's going rate but surplus 8TB drives are getting there too. And that's a 2.5", which is maybe a little denser but not many hotswap chassis are built for U.2. So like, prices are comparable-ish, you have to buy the shuttle and it's a little bigger but it's twice the capacity and twice the IOPS per u.2 port and maybe a little cheaper overall. Just not sure if there's some fatal weakness with trusting consumer disks over enterprise for ssds.

I know that's not a solution that an enterprise vendor would deploy, but maybe it's viable for home stuff.

I guess endurance is probably one thing, yeah. Only 2400TBW on the MP34. Still though that's quite a lot of writes, and you'll be spreading the writes over a bunch of drives. Like functionally having 4800TBW from 8TB of drives is probably fine for NAS stuff. I also have Optane for stuff that churns.

2.5" U.2 stuff is also something I can drop in a rack server someday if I want, I guess. 3.5" U.2 is not something that's going to be amazingly easy to find chassis for.

Is there any functional difference between NVMe in something like the 905P and the P4800X? I have sometimes seen the P4800X as "PCIe 2x2"... can you sustain full 4gbps on a single sequential read with a consumer U.2->PCIe x4 adapter card, or is that something where you need a SAS card for it to work optimally because it would only see the first x2 channel?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 29, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On a vaguely related note, we're currently trying to debug my partner's PC freezing for minutes with nvme timeouts. The current theory is that "cheap Kingston drives are kind of crap when you load them, actually", perhaps aggravated by him running a btrfs mirror so they do their IO nearly simultaneously. We have thought about just going back to SATA SSDs, this is the third time in a couple of years he has weird nvme issues - on different computers.

For the record, I've had zero troubles, and we have similar setups. I really have no idea.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Are Western Digital Red Plus drives a good brand/model? I'm looking to get four WD101EFBXs to increase the space on my Synology DS412+.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cheap Trick posted:

Are Western Digital Red Plus drives a good brand/model? I'm looking to get four WD101EFBXs to increase the space on my Synology DS412+.

WD are generally fine, and before their SMR debacle the Red line was pretty highly recommended for NAS. Just be sure to avoid SMR (it looks like that model is CMR) and you should be fine. Also note that for most NAS applications (slinging files around) you don't gain that much performance at 7200rpm vs 5400, and the slower speed can actually have benefits in terms of stability and drive lifetime, so if you find slower drives in the capacity you want you could save a few :10bux: .

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
lol. lmao even.

"sorry not sorry, I showed you my problems, pls respond, no, not like that"

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

WD are generally fine, and before their SMR debacle the Red line was pretty highly recommended for NAS. Just be sure to avoid SMR (it looks like that model is CMR) and you should be fine. Also note that for most NAS applications (slinging files around) you don't gain that much performance at 7200rpm vs 5400, and the slower speed can actually have benefits in terms of stability and drive lifetime, so if you find slower drives in the capacity you want you could save a few :10bux: .

Yep they're CMR drives, I know about that debacle already! Also they are the 5400rpm model which I just found out. Thanks for the tips

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I dont get why people were so hard on the guy. It's not like he was demanding everyone read his entire reddit account history or I think even bringing it up before people were throwing stuff at him, but when people are yelling at him saying he hasn't tried anything and is afraid of the terminal, what else is he gonna do besides say "heres where you can see I'm not afraid of the terminal and I tried a bunch of stuff."

I could see why someone would get pissed too when someones saying stuff like that and the only reason they have for thinking you're afraid of a terminal or whatever is they think you're someone else.

I feel for him because I'm just learning to be competent with this stuff. It hasn't been hard yet (easier than I expected, besides samba giving me a headache before I realized zfs has its own samba implementation thing that I could turn on it like 2 minutes and have working perfectly) but I got that worry in the back of my head that it's gonna grow and grow until suddenly I got all these hard drives and I'm way beyond my ability to manage it. Less because it's hard, more because the potential for losing a lot of data by screwing up is there.

Which is why I'm just mirroring everything important on two separate machines until I can get a bluray burner or something and make a bunch of backups.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's pretty hard to gently caress up enough that you lose data with ZFS. Backups are still needed even if you have redundant storage.

The learning curve is real, though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BrainDance posted:

I dont get why people were so hard on the guy. It's not like he was demanding everyone read his entire reddit account history or I think even bringing it up before people were throwing stuff at him, but when people are yelling at him saying he hasn't tried anything and is afraid of the terminal, what else is he gonna do besides say "heres where you can see I'm not afraid of the terminal and I tried a bunch of stuff."

I could see why someone would get pissed too when someones saying stuff like that and the only reason they have for thinking you're afraid of a terminal or whatever is they think you're someone else.

I feel for him because I'm just learning to be competent with this stuff. It hasn't been hard yet (easier than I expected, besides samba giving me a headache before I realized zfs has its own samba implementation thing that I could turn on it like 2 minutes and have working perfectly) but I got that worry in the back of my head that it's gonna grow and grow until suddenly I got all these hard drives and I'm way beyond my ability to manage it. Less because it's hard, more because the potential for losing a lot of data by screwing up is there.

Which is why I'm just mirroring everything important on two separate machines until I can get a bluray burner or something and make a bunch of backups.

It reminds me of how I write lots of documentation at work that nobody reads and then they get frustrated I won't repost the same stuff I've already documented.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
😂

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Computer viking posted:

On a vaguely related note, we're currently trying to debug my partner's PC freezing for minutes with nvme timeouts. The current theory is that "cheap Kingston drives are kind of crap when you load them, actually", perhaps aggravated by him running a btrfs mirror so they do their IO nearly simultaneously. We have thought about just going back to SATA SSDs, this is the third time in a couple of years he has weird nvme issues - on different computers.

For the record, I've had zero troubles, and we have similar setups. I really have no idea.

that sounds like a SOC/system agent that is not quite stable

could be a lot of reasons (bclk overclocking, memory overclocking/fabric overclocking, etc) but that's essentially the same failure mode early X99 had (for probably different reasons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Paul MaudDib posted:

right but the OWC shuttle will take 4x consumer NVMe M.2s (2280 max) and puts them in a 3.5" U.2 formfactor. That's actually fine with like the define 7 xl or similar, you can have a silly number of drive trays in the front of the storage configuration and they've got the intake fans blowing right over them, and a little bit of a heatsink shape, etc. It's got a PLX switch chip so any one of them can run at full speed (although of course total bandwidth is limited to x4).

(or there's the Asus Hyper M.2 cards, which do 4 drives via bifurcation. The PCIe 3.0 versions are like under $50 now. But without the PLX switch chip you don't get the fanout factor, you could run a whole bunch of M.2 shuttles on one SAS trimode 16i card, and consumers are fine with low bandwidth density if it lets you get a bunch of storage in. And unfortunately on the Hyper M.2 cards many of my board's slots are not x16, or lose some lanes if you put something in slot X, etc.)

MP34 4TB is like $160 right now (lol), not an insanely high-end drive but it's midrange TLC with DRAM, perfectly fine for bulk NAS storage. There's various of the Ultrastar DC630 for 8TB for like $350-550 iirc, not sure what's real/what's going rate but surplus 8TB drives are getting there too. And that's a 2.5", which is maybe a little denser but not many hotswap chassis are built for U.2. So like, prices are comparable-ish, you have to buy the shuttle and it's a little bigger but it's twice the capacity and twice the IOPS per u.2 port and maybe a little cheaper overall. Just not sure if there's some fatal weakness with trusting consumer disks over enterprise for ssds.

I know that's not a solution that an enterprise vendor would deploy, but maybe it's viable for home stuff.

2.5" U.2 stuff is also something I can drop in a rack server someday if I want, I guess. 3.5" U.2 is not something that's going to be amazingly easy to find chassis for.
These look interesting. I’ll probably pick up something like the OWC when the Chinese copy this and sell for pennies and some cheap consumer drives. I already run that Fractal case and have several free 16x slots and want to get rid of the spinners at some point so I’ve got all the options in the world open to me.

Not sure how to configure the disks tho, 4 x 4 disk zraid? I could get away with 40 TB for my media files now that my Internet doesn’t suck and I won’t have to hoard all the data.