Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My personal favorite song from Wrath that isn't one of the big story moment ones: Totems of the Grizzlemaw, Grizzly Hills day theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cythereal posted:

My personal favorite song from Wrath that isn't one of the big story moment ones: Totems of the Grizzlemaw, Grizzly Hills day theme.

This is the first song that comes to mind when I think of "WoW music." I love it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think we can safely say that the one area where Blizzard has never been found wanting is in the music department.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The moment that started playing I was almost tempted to go check out WoW again.

I mean, I'm not going to, obviously. I know I'd be disappointed. But even though I was never that into the actual game elements, for a while there it was a pretty great world to exist in for a few hours after school.

Good game composers are underappreciated.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The Grizzly Hills music is iconic, but I also have a soft spot for the Sholazar Basin music

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ok, you guys are forcing my hand. There is one piece of objectively best Wrath zone music, and that is Howling Fjord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjTe0R2bREY

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

WAY OF THE MONK MOTHERFUCKERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g-wBrU9keE

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Medivh's entire shtick to appear suddenly, scream about the end is nigh and how everyone should move west to Kalimdor, and then bail?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Yes. Being equal parts cryptic and melodramatic is kind of his entire deal.

It's a miracle Khadgar turned out as well-adjusted (relatively speaking) as he did.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Really, the only reason Jaina is giving him the time of day is because she can actually sense how powerful he is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also because, I think, Jaina is pretty badly traumatized and has realized that nothing Medivh has said so far was wrong per se.

According to the books Jaina was by this point suggesting that the Alliance should hedge their bets and send at least a small force to Kalimdor to see what's going on. As a Kul Tiran, Jaina does in fact already know that Kalimdor exists - Kul Tiran ships have been there.

But at this time, the rest of Lordaeron and Dalaran and their allies are still firmly focused on trying to save their lands and dealing with the problems immediately at hand. The Scourge haven't been seen in Lordaeron in the month since Stratholme, and the prevailing view among the Alliance's leaders is that the crisis is past, at least for now.

Those leaders in the Alliance agitating in favor of Kalimdor or preparing for a new Scourge invasion - notably Jaina Proudmoore, Saidan Dathrohan, Alexandros Mograine, and Archmage Rhonin and General Vereesa Windrunner of Dalaran - are the minority view and being called alarmist and paranoid.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The idea of picking up and fleeing is also just... unspeakably impractical. There's no way anyone has the shipping capacity for more than a small slice of their populace, except maybe some place like Kul Tiras. What Medivh's telling them to do is basically to abandon most of their people just because. The death toll is not going to be meaningfully smaller that way, though maybe you'll see it getting started a little earlier as people catch wind of the evacuation and realize they haven't been chosen.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Do people outside Kul Tiras even know Kalimdor exists?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

Do people outside Kul Tiras even know Kalimdor exists?

The elves of Quel'Thalas came from there, and I assume the mages of Dalaran know too. Other than that, maybe the few of the more well informed nobles and high ranking military officers of other nations know as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhonne posted:

The elves of Quel'Thalas came from there, and I assume the mages of Dalaran know too. Other than that, maybe the few of the more well informed nobles and high ranking military officers of other nations know as well.

This, but as far as the Eastern Kingdoms are concerned Kalimdor's existence is a curiosity. The elves tried to bury their past and keep the existence of things like the night elves under lock and key, and Kul Tiran landing parties were immediately attacked by hostile natives including centaurs and harpies.

At this moment, no one in the Eastern Kingdoms beyond people like Medivh and the most reclusive of elven scholars know anything about Kalimdor beyond that it exists, much less why anyone would want to go there.

It's something of a trend in Warcraft that, as written, people tend to be profoundly incurious and unwilling to expand. The borders of every nation in the Eastern Kingdoms have been static since the fall of Arathor until the fall of Alterac in WC2, and even then those lands were never actually annexed or what have you. Exploring Northrend is for a rare few brave individuals. No one particularly cares that Kalimdor exists. People just... stay put and don't change in Warcraft, unless a specific plot at hand demands otherwise.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Feldegast42 posted:

Ok, you guys are forcing my hand. There is one piece of objectively best Wrath zone music, and that is Howling Fjord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjTe0R2bREY

Cythereal posted:

Rhonne posted:

The Grizzly Hills music is iconic, but I also have a soft spot for the Sholazar Basin music

Peaks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbDIlvkr-A

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean yeah most people in the EKs don't care to explore because most of them are farmers or other simple professions who have more important things to worry about like 'agh, are the orcs raiding my farms'. And until recently most of humanity was engrossed in one war or another, it's only been the last few years they've had any semblance of peace in a while. And there was never any reason for the nations to expand when they were locked in an uneasy alliance of 'well if Gilneas invades Lordaeron then pretty much every nation would attack them and why would they'. It's not necessarily a case of being incurious, it's more a case of 'okay expanding might be rad but it would really not be worth it'.

Alterac's fall in WC2 was a precautionary tale, and even then it was probably a tipping point for nations like Gilneas to start looking for an opprtunity to get out of the stranglehold that the Alliance had on its constituent nations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

This, but as far as the Eastern Kingdoms are concerned Kalimdor's existence is a curiosity. The elves tried to bury their past and keep the existence of things like the night elves under lock and key, and Kul Tiran landing parties were immediately attacked by hostile natives including centaurs and harpies.

At this moment, no one in the Eastern Kingdoms beyond people like Medivh and the most reclusive of elven scholars know anything about Kalimdor beyond that it exists, much less why anyone would want to go there.

It's something of a trend in Warcraft that, as written, people tend to be profoundly incurious and unwilling to expand. The borders of every nation in the Eastern Kingdoms have been static since the fall of Arathor until the fall of Alterac in WC2, and even then those lands were never actually annexed or what have you. Exploring Northrend is for a rare few brave individuals. No one particularly cares that Kalimdor exists. People just... stay put and don't change in Warcraft, unless a specific plot at hand demands otherwise.

To be fair, "we went to explore here, and our explorers were attacked and/or murdered by hostile native monsters. Then we tried to go HERE, and our explorers were attacked and/or murdered by hostile native monsters. Then we tried to go HERE..." repeated ad nauseum does tend to be a deterrent from exploring new lands after a while :P

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's also a world where "here be dragons" is incredibly literal and they often have good reasons to tell mortals "No, do not touch that. In fact, do not be here at all. Leave this area immediately or there will be violence." Well except for the black dragonflight and the non-titan aligned dragons who just jump straight to violence with various levels of malicious glee.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh thank goodness, I at least caught up to the thread before Cyth finished up the part of the campaign that left me dumbstruck as a kid. I quite enjoy the loreposts, but I admit many of them have congealed into one indiscriminate mass of disappointment in my hazy memory, with a rare few gems hidden in the muck. I didn't fully appreciate just how impactful the Culling was when I was little, but I'm glad its shittification has been minimal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Part of why I really enjoy Ner'zhul as a villain is the fact that they actually have a really good plan in WC3. I hate the fact that Danuser has tried to make it all The Jailer instead.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lord_Magmar posted:

Technically, Loa is basically anything Troll's Worship, and this act of worship allows them to make deals with the Trolls as trades. Or at least, this is the best we can understand what is going on, since Loa can be anything (although they tend to be already powerful beings like Psychopomps or Wild Gods) and Loa have powers distinct from whatever their original powers should be (in the case of Wild Gods, Psychopomps maybe not so much). As a great example, I mentioned the Loa of Kings before, it's a giant Devilsaur (Tyranossaurus Rex) Wild God, but by being the Loa of the Kings, it became capable of using the Holy Light much the way its followers could through pacts and worship and faith with it. Loa without worshippers lose whatever Loa Magics they might have had, generally, and might even die unless they're sustained by being some other sort of great being already (A Wild God can survive without followers but won't have Loa powers anymore for example).

How this exchange works, Troll Faith empowers beings, or anything else about this situation has never been explored. But the devouring the gods thing is basically a way to take all of the power of a Loa and give nothing back in return.

This is also why not all Loa are Wild Gods, like Bwonsamdi who was once a mortal troll priest of Mueh'zala the Loa of Death. Mueh'zala was the archetypical monstrous personification of death, the sacrifice and blood demanding type, and after a time he gave some powers as a Loa to a particularly powerful and fast talking priest in Bwonsamdi . Bwonsamdi then proceded to basically fast talk, wheel and deal his way to becoming a more softer cooler less blood-thirsty god of death who basically assumed the majority of the Loa of Death powers. Mueh'zala held on because one tribe (Sandfury) still liked him more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tenebrais posted:

The moment that started playing I was almost tempted to go check out WoW again.

I mean, I'm not going to, obviously. I know I'd be disappointed. But even though I was never that into the actual game elements, for a while there it was a pretty great world to exist in for a few hours after school.

Good game composers are underappreciated.

I listen to video game music a lot when I'm at work, or at home and not playing a game where I want the sound on. Personally I prefer music that's purely orchestral or uses voices in a choral sense rather than making lyrics the focus. Directly lyrical music tends to distract me, and many tracks on my curated playlist on youtube are from games I no longer play (and in a few cases, have never played at all).

The World of Warcraft selections in my playlist:

Totems of the Grizzlemaw, Grizzly Hills day theme.
Mountains of Thunder, Storm Peaks day theme.
The Spark of Imagination, Ulduar raid theme.
Invincible, the Lich King's theme.
Breath of Al'Akir, Skywall dungeon/raid theme.
The Shaping of the World, composed for launch WoW but never used in-game until Warlords of Draenor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I did the math tonight on my progress with Warcraft. Right now, I have completed and posted updates for no less than 88 missions of Warcraft. #89 has been recorded but not yet written up or posted.

49 more to go. Jesus.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

And we haven't even hit the high point yet!

Also, I'm glad the potoo is back :)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Cythereal posted:

I did the math tonight on my progress with Warcraft. Right now, I have completed and posted updates for no less than 88 missions of Warcraft. #89 has been recorded but not yet written up or posted.

49 more to go. Jesus.
If it makes you feel better, you’re doing a great job!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
You are definitely in the easy part of the project. Jump to Normal if you are interested but Story will always be there to Just Get Through.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

:emptyquote:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wonder how many updates the Orc 'campaign' in TFT is gonna take up. I did enjoy that one though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

very much so

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

:yeah:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I really appreciate it y'all. :)

As a little bonus, here's explanations for the concept art I've used in my previous Craft of War essays.

Concept art of the main gates of Ironforge in WoW, never seen closed in-game.

Artist's rendition to the gateway to the Zul'Gurub raid in WoW.

Promotional art for WoW: Battle for Azeroth depicting the city of Boralus in flames.

Concept art for Blackrock Mountain in WoW.

Concept art and loading screen for Skywall, the elemental plane of air used in a dungeon and raid or two in WoW.

Ulduar concept art.

Artist's portrayal of that time in WoW a crazy elf incel opened a wormhole to the lost world of Argus.

Concept and loading screen for the Maelstrom.

Promotional art of the Sunwell's restoration being visible from orbit.

Promotional art of the night elf capital of Zin-Azshari before its destruction.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm fairly sure that's Zul'Aman:
-Pine trees
-Grey/blue buildings
-Big palisade gate
-Those stone claw... things?

Last one looks like it might be from the Azshara Warbringer short too.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Crazy elf incel? :raise:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Slaan posted:

Crazy elf incel? :raise:

NOBODY TELL THEM UNTIL THE MOMENT COMES!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I mean Illidan does need to get laid

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

:ughh:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Come the gently caress on, we aren't even finished with the first campaign yet :nallears:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:mods:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Oh, Illidan. Yeah, that description makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, at this rate I'm not remotely surprised that when I make a sarcastic reference to a character we haven't met in the LP yet, the first reply is confusion about my joke, the second reply is someone begging the thread to not explain the joke, and the third reply is someone explaining the joke. :v: