Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A 20 week buyout plus PTO will get your mortgage paid through the end of January

Nobody is hiring in the last six weeks of 2023 so that gives you 12-16 weeks to find a job this year, or plan on landing something in February '24

Seems pretty reasonable

I would definitely seriously consider it, the mortgage industry is really hurting right now, I keep reading articles about how everyone will never give up their 2.9% mortgage refinance and both number of homes on the market + number of homes sold each (time unit) are at their 30 year lows right now. After the pay packages get handed out there will probably be two more rounds of layoffs as they wind down any remaining growth operations

That's my wild rear end guess anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

if my company offered me a 20 week buyout with accelerated RSU vesting I'd jump all over that poo poo and take a 6-12 month sabbatical without a millisecond of hesitation

but i'm not livin anywhere close to paycheck to paycheck, ymmv

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don’t know the laws where you live, but you might be able to get unemployment after your 20 weeks is up. You won’t get your current salary, but knowing you can get at least something might be an additional peace of mind.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Moctopus, there are some important things to know still:

1. If you volunteer, do you just get it?
2. If not, can somebody in your chain in command refuse?

What you don't want is to be refused and then have layoffs come around because then they will remember you and you just get whacked.

My company years back did a voluntary separation thing. People knew I had some money to sit on and could literally do nothing awhile and were terrified I'd bolt. I told them I was getting they wouldn't accept it if I did, and that's exactly how it went with people. Got a promotion out of it though haha.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Moctopus, there are some important things to know still:

1. If you volunteer, do you just get it?
2. If not, can somebody in your chain in command refuse?

What you don't want is to be refused and then have layoffs come around because then they will remember you and you just get whacked.

My company years back did a voluntary separation thing. People knew I had some money to sit on and could literally do nothing awhile and were terrified I'd bolt. I told them I was getting they wouldn't accept it if I did, and that's exactly how it went with people. Got a promotion out of it though haha.

There's no guarantee you get it. I imagine it's first come first serve + how critical you are.

I want to again thank everyone for responding and giving their thoughts. I decided yesterday evening to go for it and applied.
I'm probably the last person to trust their gut, but I felt some sort of internal pressure that I needed a change and I'm listening.

No telling if I'll get it, and I guess I have a target on my back now if I don't. Either way I'm looking for a job.

I'll find out Thursday if I was selected or not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You already don’t have a job. The other shoe just hasn’t dropped yet.

Start looking.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

lifg posted:

I don’t know the laws where you live, but you might be able to get unemployment after your 20 weeks is up. You won’t get your current salary, but knowing you can get at least something might be an additional peace of mind.

This is an interesting one because it's a voluntary buyout. If it was a layoff with those terms, you'd be eligible for unemployment immediately, but since it's voluntary, you may not be.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I just got out of a meeting with my manager.

Asked why I applied to take the offer.
Said he was looking forward to starting a new project with me.
Said our team would be safe until 2024 and had work lined up into the new year.

But they did not ask if there was anything they could do to keep me and it wasn't lost on me that guaranteeing our team would be safe into the new year is basically what the buyout is covering.
I dunno when I'll get another chance to make finding a new job a full time job.

I still think I made the right choice, but it tugged at me emotionally.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

moctopus posted:

But they did not ask if there was anything they could do to keep me and it wasn't lost on me that guaranteeing our team would be safe into the new year is basically what the buyout is covering.

You made the right decision. Part of a manager's job is to manage people. They are professional manipulators. Some of them are like trainers and do it to help you be the best you that you can be. Sometimes they are trying to make the best possible product without fully considering the cost to their team members. Others are like advertisers and tug at employee heartstrings solely for the company's benefit. In this case it seems clear which it was, so try to shrug off any emotions they inflicted you with.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Hi, just getting out of an interview so I would like to clarify with folks: I am a smart, handsome guy who is good at embedded software even if I don't happen to know how NVICs work down to the silicon level.

I did appreciate the question of "How do you get another team to do work that is outside of their original scope."

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Hi, just getting out of an interview so I would like to clarify with folks: I am a smart, handsome guy who is good at embedded software even if I don't happen to know how NVICs work down to the silicon level.

I did appreciate the question of "How do you get another team to do work that is outside of their original scope."

Ask. Depending on contracts, pay them.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

A good friend of mine is in the loan officer business and its remarkably poo poo she's looking to try and pivot into development/front end. I know a lot of coding bootcamps are snake oil what's stuff that isn't bullshit?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

LionYeti posted:

A good friend of mine is in the loan officer business and its remarkably poo poo she's looking to try and pivot into development/front end. I know a lot of coding bootcamps are snake oil what's stuff that isn't bullshit?

I don't know about the options where she lives, but when I was researching which boot camps to go to I used LinkedIn filters to find out which graduates were actually getting dev jobs to inform my decision. It's a good way to network too by reaching out and saying hey I am thinking of x bootcamp and saw you did it, can we have a chat about what you thought about it etc

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a lot of bootcamps are grifty, but this tech downturn miiiight help flush some of them out

but it's also a really hard time to try to pivot into dev right now, the entry-level/junior market is mega flooded with people and not a lot of open jobs

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

C# is my favorite language. I work in Go now and I miss C# constantly when I run into dumb Go BS.

I like C# but I think I had a grand total of one job where C# was the primary language for anything. As luck would have it, most of what I did at that company was fight with product as opposed to actually build anything.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
One of the best engineers I know also came from a bootcamp that went under hard. What I've taken away from this is that it's more about the specific instructors than the program, and even more about how you improve and connect with your peers, versus what information they feed you

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

LionYeti posted:

Seconding this:

Guinness posted:

but it's also a really hard time to try to pivot into dev right now, the entry-level/junior market is mega flooded with people and not a lot of open jobs

It's been really, really rough out there for months. Though maybe it will be in a better place by the time your friend is ready to start applying. With all that said, Jonas Schmedtmann's courses on Udemy are pretty good. Most of my experience has been back-end focused so I've been taking his JavaScript course to improve on that and it's been a lot of "Oh that's why..." moments for me. I'm getting a lot out of it.

Oh, but don't ever buy Udemy courses at full price. They go on sale all the time to the point where it's clear the listed prices aren't the actual price. I'd say buy one course at your newby discount and then wait a day or two. They'll dangle another big sale in front of you real quick.

Edit: I just noticed he has a relatively short intro course: Crash Course: Build a Full-Stack Web App in a Weekend! That might be a good place to start since it gives an overview of: HTML, CSS, Databases, JavaScript, and React. Doing that over a few days should give them some idea if they really want to spend the time to learn front end development in depth.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 27, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The other piece of advice I have about career switching is if you are sure about wanting to switch, the best time to do it is in the past, the second best time is today.

Subject to you having the rest of your life in order so that you can weather the possible downtime etc

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I know several people are job hunting or thinking about job hunting. For a few months the recruiter spam was almost nothing, but today I got a ton of it for some reason and it's been increasing lately. Seems like mid to senior positions might be recovering.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol yeah i noticed that too. i don't get swe spam any more but the security engineering spam has picked back up again

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got 8 spam emails in the last week, so not quite late 2021 omnispam but respectable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

According to the economics thread in BFC GDP growth was 2.3% recently. So fears of the recession have apparently passed, confirmed by the fed. Back to business as normal, everybody!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Hadlock posted:

According to the economics thread in BFC GDP growth was 2.3% recently. So fears of the recession have apparently passed, confirmed by the fed. Back to business as normal, everybody!

Business as normal meaning 325k TC to work 20 hours a week? Let's goooo

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

prom candy posted:

Business as normal meaning 325k TC to work 20 hours a week? Let's goooo

Stock performance has been a real drag on the numerator recently

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Pollyanna posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the thought of working in C#.

it's nice over here! you don't spend any time fighting the language and frameworks

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

gnatalie posted:

it's nice over here! you don't spend any time fighting the language and frameworks

So you've never worked with a framework in C# hastily thrown together in-house by php devs?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Ok, my application for the buyout was accepted and it's set in stone. My last day will be the 11th.

Pretty difficult Friday. The SWEs on my team (me at senior, 3 associates, 1 intern)... The intern will end up back in school after the summer is over, myself and two of the associates took the buyout leaving one SWE on the team. I've been mentoring the three associates since they changed careers three years ago and this type of thing is by far the most important and fulfilling part of the job for me (especially when it's people my age making a career change) so it was a big cryfest. The guy staying is also the one I've worked most closely with and I think this is an enormous upheaval for him, but god drat did he have some nice words for me and was rooting me on in a private call we had and I tried to really convey how proud I was of him (I am) and so lots more crying.

Anyway, off the heart and on the brain, I'm reaching out to my network and doing the resume/linkedin thing, but it's been so long since I've looked. Stuff like HackerRank and LeetCode didn't exist when I last interviewed. I'm not trying to get into a FAANG type job, but I do think I should be studying something (or putting together a project) and would like a bump in pay.

I prefer back end stuff over front end.
Spent a lot of time in AWS and a bit less in Azure.
Built and maintained all of our CICD/Infrastructure.
Love to teach/mentor.
I'd like to continue being a remote employee so I don't care where the office is located (though I understand competition will be stiffer and pay may be worse)

A unicorn job for me might have some of these things
  • An opportunity to carve out time to teach
  • 100% remote
  • Being able to use an FP like F# (sad lol)
  • Focus on back end over front end
  • A different industry (but I'm ill prepared for the specifics of the below):
    ----Something with a positive impact (perhaps renewable energies or health... something that helps people I guess)
    ----Games (I don't know really much about this world, or if it's a good idea. In college we had people from the industry and come and talk to us and it sounded like the biggest nightmare ever)

So that's my pie-in-the-sky stuff. I have a bit of time to be picky, but I'm old enough to know how quickly time evaporates and would like to focus on what to study/what kind of project to do.

I hope I'm not talking about myself too much and forgive me if this is disjointed my head is all over the place.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Think long and hard about why you want to make games before jumping over here. You likely won't get to work on games you like. If you do, you may stop liking them. The pay is typically a lot lower than you could get elsewhere, often with longer hours.

Conditions are better than they were, but that bar is somewhere around the Earth's core.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

leper khan posted:

Think long and hard about why you want to make games before jumping over here. You likely won't get to work on games you like. If you do, you may stop liking them. The pay is typically a lot lower than you could get elsewhere, often with longer hours.

Conditions are better than they were, but that bar is somewhere around the Earth's core.

Hey thanks for this. Kind of confirms what I was saying. I'll probably avoid it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

leper khan posted:

So you've never worked with a framework in C# hastily thrown together in-house by php devs?

I have!

Modern .NET/C# felt like Kotlin backed by powerful and easy to use but poorly documented libraries, tooling and integrations.

The legacy stuff embodies all the worst qualities of Java without any of the support.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

leper khan posted:

sounds like an experience you'll remember for the rest of your life!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I missed C# for a long time, but Kotlin has largely scratched that itch. The biggest problem with Kotlin imo is that you're still on the JVM which exposes you peers that write things like this: https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

moctopus posted:

A unicorn job for me might have some of these things
  • A different industry (but I'm ill prepared for the specifics of the below):
    ----Something with a positive impact (perhaps renewable energies or health... something that helps people I guess)

I went journalism (the tech side of things) for this specific reason. Be prepared to earn pittance compared to FAANG/MANGA jobs, though.
On the other had, I can sleep well knowing I'm actively fighting Sinclair's overtake and further fascification of the society by doing my day job.
I kinda have to, as I have a kid that needs the world to be better than mine was, which is a tall order these days.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

moctopus posted:

I'm not trying to get into a FAANG type job

Think very carefully about the opportunity cost of writing off $300k+ TC. They're not as hard to get as you might think.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Ralith posted:

Think very carefully about the opportunity cost of writing off $300k+ TC. They're not as hard to get as you might think.

Sincerely? They seem to be notorious for that exact thing. Maybe I need to stay off reddit 👻

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not hard, its demeaning, but you cannot trust resumes and you can never trust that someone claiming to be a senior muckity muck actually knows how to code so this is the low-trust life peeps gotta lead. cant trust the companies worth a poo poo either

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

Are these available remote still? No way I'm physically relocating to figgieland

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a bunch of faang type companies stopped hiring remote because they were spending too much money on empty offices

those that still hire remote do col adjustments for lower col areas

that isnt to say they don't pay figgies, just not the mythical 300k tc mentioned above

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Meh, cost of living adjustments within the US aren't that drastic. If you don't start there you can get there within a few years. The bigger challenge is just that they're more reluctant to hire remote in the first place, but the option exists, and is more accessible as you get more senior (i.e. more credibly able to work independently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I'm currently a team lead in FAANG in an area I do not find too interesting, but I'm able to make it work on a day-to-day basis and I enjoy most of the people and my direct manager quite a bit.

My skip manager has recently externally hired a lot of staff engineers, which has cut off a lot of areas I was enjoying working in and removed my room for growth and potentially promotion.

I have an opportunity for a "grass is greener on the other side" to switch to a team internally that pairs more with my interests and lets me be head down more in coding instead of leading, also with the opportunity for growth as I gain expertise in the space. The commute to work is also a lot shorter and can be remote lol

I'm leaning on taking this opportunity, but I actually really do enjoy my current manager and the people in my space. Should I stick it out on my current team and try to make affairs better, or should I take the opportunity to try something new?

I've also only been in my current space for ~1 year so I feel guilty about that 👀