Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

There are performance advantages to playing on a small/private server, though, if you're in it for the long haul.

I need to screw around with a VM for doing this at some point. Surprised no one in the community has a ready-made Dockerfile for this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Zereth posted:

Yep. If I'm understanding those screenshots the dev team just got a bit smaller, though.

We'd still rather play something else.

I'm just saying I'm not surprised by the bad takes.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rynoto posted:

The official servers are mostly just singleplayer-but-with-a-community and strict no-griefing rules. If you want to stay up on the bleeding edge updates and tinker with the pack yourself with mods then true singleplayer is the way.
i like the idea of being able to at least like, tour other peoples' builds, see how they did things

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
We're trying TNP LL6 but it might just be placebo but it feels like chunks are generating slower, I'm hitting the generated chunk border which I don't feel like I was on the old pack, might just be placebo though

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
loving the 'we prefer to ignore the existence of trans people' position, super dope way to operate

Is there another pack like blight fall? I really loved that pack way back in the day (it's been like five years christ), I wish I could erase my memories of it and do it again

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

ComradePyro posted:

Is there another pack like blight fall? I really loved that pack way back in the day (it's been like five years christ), I wish I could erase my memories of it and do it again

Closest experience I've had is the material energy packs. ^3 and ^5 were excellent experiences with focused mod usage and hand crafted locations. ^4 never really grabbed me so idk if it offers the same thing.

Material energy^5 was particularly excellent. I think ^3 got a little bogged down with the crafting and fusion stuff, and it's a much older pack at this point.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I need to screw around with a VM for doing this at some point. Surprised no one in the community has a ready-made Dockerfile for this stuff.

Do you hang out on the GTNH discord? It might be worth asking around there, I know a lot of people do it already.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Unless you have friends who will commit to it on a private server, definitely play single player. I play single player exclusively. This lets you work around bugs and questbook limitations, if you can trust yourself not to wantonly cheat.

def recommend this. Especially for when there are times where you might accidentally void 4m worth of a fluid, or blow up your base with some wiring, or accidentally throw something important in the trash. Being able to restore a backup is nice.

Got the platinum part of the platline done and automated.

And the results after about half a day.

I still got all this to hook up to handle all the byproducts but I'll get it. I will say even having a schematic to kind of go off of this really tests your AE2 abilities and knowledge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mainly play single player on my own hosted server (on oracle, for free) and it’s nice because I have my farms chunk loaded so I’m passively generating / maxing out resources instead of it all only generating when I’m playing. It’s also nice for some of the super long auto crafting sequences I’ve done where I can just queue up a ton of poo poo and have it work overnight.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I think I’m done with vault hunters. Minecraft combat is garbage and there’s no way to make it good. Really I can’t hit something right in front of me because I didn’t perfectly click on a moving target? Those X marks the spot rooms are some bullshit where you can’t climb out with the enemies constantly respawning on top. Do they ever stop?

Going to try a more relaxing pack like create astral.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Any recommended texture packs or shaders or anything for GT:NH?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Faldoncow posted:

Any recommended texture packs or shaders or anything for GT:NH?

It's outdated but if you like Sphax's look then there's a bdcraft version for a good portion of the mods. There's also another texpack UU-Tex specifically for GTNH's gregtech.

Personally use those both. There's a decent list of other stuff on the wiki but I haven't tried them so ymmv

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Create Astral is pretty fun and has really gotten me to explore the Create mod, but it basically wants me to set up like 25 cobble generators (or one massive one branching out 25 places) because I'm expected to have perpetual generation of many different materials it's going to demand in large amounts and I've kind of just been having fun vibing and making a cozy base with smaller machines. I really have had fun so far but if anything it's making me want to move away from a quest based pack and just towards something a little comfier where I won't have to deal with the fact I've got to mix lava, flint, and four kinds of stone so I can produce other stones to get crushed and then washed so I can make ores. I haven't quite given up on it yet but as someone who normally just throws all their machines on the ground in a heap, this is the one pack that's made me care more about building my base than just racing up the tech tree or rushing through the quests.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

VegasGoat posted:

I think I’m done with vault hunters. Minecraft combat is garbage and there’s no way to make it good. Really I can’t hit something right in front of me because I didn’t perfectly click on a moving target? Those X marks the spot rooms are some bullshit where you can’t climb out with the enemies constantly respawning on top. Do they ever stop?

Going to try a more relaxing pack like create astral.

Don't blame you, the pack's not for everyone. X rooms basically require building a little pillar and putting a water bucket at the top. Takes the pressure off of getting out. The command blocks don't seem to work on my server, so I just don't bother a lot of the time.

On the VH front, I'm really enjoying Update 11. I swapped my build to poison nova and just melt enemy waves now. Super fun dashing around smashing chests, hucking spells around.

We also just did out first Architect Vault, did a Mush Room and stacked it with Living boosts. Walked out with like 12 knowledge stars worth of essence, absolutely wild.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Having a lot of fun with ATM8. I needed something other than Nomifactory and E2:E to go to, and I already went back and replayed my favorite 1.7.10 stuff. Haven't delved into Create yet, but I'm having a blast just with exploration and tinkering with a few things so far. If I can rename Cotton Candy Bees back to Trans Bees, so much the better.

What are your favorite mods that you wish had been brought forward to other versions? Thaumcraft 4 is still my favorite incarnation of the mod, along with all of its numerous offshoots, and it's a big reason I go back to 1.7.10 regularly. Chromaticraft is another reason I go back to 1.7.10, in spite of its highly esoteric nature, because there's just nothing else quite like it in Minecraft (Astral Sorcery comes closest).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really do miss Astral Sorcery and Thaumcraft. It's been years at this point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Maybe an odd ask but does anyone know if there's a fabric mod out there that gives different looking chests based on wood type? Quark is Forge only and I'm so used to having visually distinct storage that I feel really stuck with just plain old oak chests here.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

Maybe an odd ask but does anyone know if there's a fabric mod out there that gives different looking chests based on wood type? Quark is Forge only and I'm so used to having visually distinct storage that I feel really stuck with just plain old oak chests here.

Try Charm and its addons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dragonshardz posted:

Try Charm and its addons.
Looks perfect! Thank you!

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Vib Rib posted:

Create Astral is pretty fun and has really gotten me to explore the Create mod, but it basically wants me to set up like 25 cobble generators (or one massive one branching out 25 places) because I'm expected to have perpetual generation of many different materials it's going to demand in large amounts and I've kind of just been having fun vibing and making a cozy base with smaller machines. I really have had fun so far but if anything it's making me want to move away from a quest based pack and just towards something a little comfier where I won't have to deal with the fact I've got to mix lava, flint, and four kinds of stone so I can produce other stones to get crushed and then washed so I can make ores. I haven't quite given up on it yet but as someone who normally just throws all their machines on the ground in a heap, this is the one pack that's made me care more about building my base than just racing up the tech tree or rushing through the quests.

Can I ask how far along you are? I've been continually putting off setting up all of these auto resources and instead just doing the occasional mining run with a Luckiest pick, and I've not felt resource constrained yet. Typing this out though, I think a big part of that might be that I'm not above enabling cheats to recover a corpse if I felt a death was sufficiently bullcrap. For reference, I'm maybe halfway through the moon chapter - just recently have gotten into brass and all that goes with it.

I ended up making a conduit temple thing underwater after I dug up a treasure map, and was shocked at how lucrative/easy underwater mining was once you don't have to worry about air/vision. Once I got the spacesuit, I've been using that + the night vision beer to extend the range of my underwater conduit mining to basically anywhere underwater.

If there is a looming wall out there anyone is aware of, please let me know and I can go about setting up those resource production lines.

Bann fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 28, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In the search for a more freeform modpack, I tried All the Fabric 6 and was impressed at all the cool mods in it, but then quickly disillusioned by all the really obnoxious mods included. No, I don't want to play Twilight Forest for the 40th time. No, I don't need six tech mods that only provide tools to climb their own tech trees instead of anything I'd want. And thank god for mod overlays, so I can figure out what loving mod threw in a big chungus meme enemy and turn that poo poo off instantly.
A lot of this would be easy enough to ignore. (Don't like Twilight Forest? Just don't make a portal there!) Except all the tech mods are bloating the underground with useless ores (I thought I'd never see Nikolite again), recipe pages are clogged with crap I don't want, and loot tables are crowded out with mod items I don't want to interact with. Worst of all is the mod bloat reduces load times and even performance.

So I thought, hey, why not just make my own modpack which is basically this but just pared down? And that sort of worked, except it made me realize how much custom content and recipe tweaking had been done in ATF6 to allow compatibility and cross-pollination between mods. Stuff as simple as two cooking mods being able to interchangeable use either mod's strawberries or knives in their recipes.
I can't just start removing mods (or throw the custom recipe changes over to my new thinner modpack) without breaking it completely and preventing it from launching. So now I've got the conundrum of whether I want to put up with the bloat, miss out on the functionality, or comb through a hundred god drat text files to port over the relevant patches.
Modpacks are pretty hard now.

Bann posted:

Can I ask how far along you are? I've been continually putting off setting up all of these auto resources and instead just doing the occasional mining run with a Luckiest pick, and I've not felt resource constrained yet. Typing this out though, I think a big part of that might be that I'm not above enabling cheats to recover a corpse if I felt a death was sufficiently bullcrap. For reference, I'm maybe halfway through the moon chapter - just recently have gotten into brass and all that goes with it.

If there is a looming wall out there anyone is aware of, please let me know and I can go about setting up those resource production lines.
I'm partway through the moon chapter too, so I guess I haven't necessarily hit a wall, but expanding out is daunting all the same. Putting it off till I need it is both a worrying and hopeful prospect.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Nomifactory discord just pinged everyone about a new RCE (remote code execution) vulnerability that effects a lot of mods, including mods in their modpack. Info is here: https://github.com/dogboy21/serializationisbad

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A few days ago a friend showed me a Minecraft mod I've been dreaming of for years, and it's everything I wanted. Ever since Indev stopped being a thing, I missed that feeling of having a small, dense island that I could make fully my own. Every now and then you could find one while sailing but they're rare enough that there are whole threads out there for sharing cozy island spawn seeds.

Survival Island turns the entire world into small islands scattered around a massive ocean. The config lets you alter average island size and distance.
Now I want to just stick around and get really familiar with my island, learning every stretch of its geography, and slowly building up roads and bridges and little houses and outposts all over it. With a smaller canvas I feel more motivated to decorate.

The islands can also be surprisingly varied! Mine has a slew of biomes all over it (also using Oh The Biomes You'll Go).

You can see at an overview I sit right at the intersection of a cold and warm ocean, with a spread of about five major biomes across the island, plus the rocky bay to the right.

The North side has a dense jungle, steep hills, and a cool sea cave you can sail right into. It also has the largest outcropped island, which could be fun to bridge to, maybe build a lighthouse.

The West end of the island is dominated by its largest mountain, a deep cliffside cave, and tons of dangerous powdery snow. But it also has a broad, temperate plateau that pushes into the sea and would make a great spot for a farm. Probably some of the most flat and arable land on the whole island. Mountain could be a great place for a Create windmill to visually dominate.

The South edge is rough scrubland and savanna. Largely clear of trees already but the terrain would make building difficult. Maybe a fort up on the hill would suit it. Due to the rocks out in the water circling it in, it does also have a nice sheltered bay that could easily be expanded.

The East side is tall cliffs and rocky shores, but there's a nice flat promontory here too. Extremely steep terrain.

On the Northeast edge there's a deep gouge through a redwood forest that runs low with podzol and rich soil. Hard to navigate.

The inner midlands are sheltered from the extremes of the coast, offering flatter and more temperate terrain, but the landscape is also scattered with boulders and surface caves and stony gouges into the earth. Monsters are common here even in the daytime as they surge from the underground. More dangerous than its topography would imply.

Finally there's this very notable area of the map, "the lush stacks": tall mossy stone arches that cover a warm bay. Calm waters, but full of crags and reefs. There's also a pillager tower and a small fisherman's skiff out in the bay!

I know this is just a whole post of "hey look at this neat terrain" which is pretty plain for the modding thread but I've been wanting a competent islands-only world generator for years and this pulls it off so well I feel like a kid again. And I hope someone out there who likes settling on little islands as much as I do gets something out of it. :kiddo:

I'm also using Distant Horizons which is how I got the whole island to fit in these screenshots at long distance. It uses pretty industry standard LOD tech to render distant chunks to insane distances without actually having to load them. My performance is actually better despite the draw distance, because I was able to lower my actual render distance and just use LODs after like, 8 chunks.

It's pretty cool being able to see your whole world at a glance.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I hereby ratify this post as being super dope.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Nomifactory discord just pinged everyone about a new RCE (remote code execution) vulnerability that effects a lot of mods, including mods in their modpack. Info is here: https://github.com/dogboy21/serializationisbad

I saw this too, and I don't understand how it works. The attacker sends signals to the server which lets the attacker run anything that's on the server, which then the server distributes to the clients, right? Except how does the attacker, you know, do anything with that? It's not like this allows the attacker to write new java code onto the server's hard drive? Or does it allow them to do exactly that?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I saw this too, and I don't understand how it works. The attacker sends signals to the server which lets the attacker run anything that's on the server, which then the server distributes to the clients, right? Except how does the attacker, you know, do anything with that? It's not like this allows the attacker to write new java code onto the server's hard drive? Or does it allow them to do exactly that?

I ain’t no fancy code talker, but I’d imagine since it is being called a RCE it does allow the attacker to run whatever code they want. Apparently the functions being used by the mods are already known to be bad and shouldn’t have been used in the first place, but that is a big expectation for people coding mods as a hobby.

At least this appears to be limited to older mods and was discovered in a 1.12 mod pack (Engimatica 2 Expert) when a server admin noticed funky stuff and people started looking into it.

Edit: looks like the GitHub post has been updated and some of the mods are bad even in 1.19 versions. Also too bad that Astral Sorcery is probably never going beyond 1.16.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I really do miss Astral Sorcery and Thaumcraft. It's been years at this point.

I was literally just looking in this thread to see if anyone had done anything similar, I liked the physicality of thaumcraft and the focus on building nice looking structures.

Closest thing that's given the same feeling is probably Create, but I wish there was something more like TC with its focus on finding stuff, collecting it, refining it in smallish quantities, and finding places in the world to set up based on where the natural nodes are and stuff.

Never really clicked with the industry mods where you're just building a block that makes number go up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OwlFancier posted:

Never really clicked with the industry mods where you're just building a block that makes number go up.
Magic mods were always more fun for me but recent magic mods don't hit the same. Even with Ars Noveau and the like it doesn't feel the same as some of the older ones it's emulating, and a lot of the old mods just never got followups.
And I just never really liked Botania I guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

botania is a tech mod tbf

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

if I ever make a minecraft mod, it's gonna be a GTNH mod that adds powerlines and poo poo, except it's going to use a bunch of magic to do it with the writing and undertones being "magic is for idiots, only idiots use magic, the magic i'm using is just for convenience" despite the tech becoming more and more magical

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Multiblock that requires a specific arrangement of power lines around it. No, the lines forming an arcane symbol has nothing to do with magic shut up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm using like 200 mods and just noticed sometimes, but not always, zombies won't drop items or any xp when I kill them. Seems to only be zombies. And only sometimes. No google results for such a weird, specific bug, and currently trying to figure out if it's better to peel the mods off in chunks trying to figure this out or if I should just not bother and accept this.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

This looks pretty rad, but of all things they just had to skip Minecraft 1.18, goddammit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

McFrugal posted:

So this is an exploit of Java's serialization API.

Serialization is the process of converting a complicated data structure in memory into a linear (serial) sequence of bytes, which can then be written to disk or sent over the network. Deserialization is the reverse.

Ancient programming languages like C and C++ don't have built-in support for serialization, you have to write it yourself and parsing complex data has historically been a gigantic source of errors, often leading to arbitrary code execution.

Modern programming languages like Rust have built-in support for sensible serialization APIs which can deserialize bytes into inert data structures in memory, which is then the programmer's responsibility to verify and transform into something actively useful to the program. It's basically a convenient way of slurping data into RAM into labeled fields instead of you having to do that yourself, and not much more than that.

Unfortunately, there was a time 25 years ago when everybody got excited about this new-fangled serialization thing before computer security was invented, and so languages like Java and Python and Ruby have deeply stupid serialization APIs that can just magically serialize arbitrary objects.

Which isn't bad, but they can also deserialize arbitrary objects, which can be literally any object type the program uses internally, not just the object types that the program serializes under normal circumstances. Java is an object-oriented programming language with inheritance, which means that anywhere an object of type A can exist, you can substitute an object of type B if it extends type A. (e.g. any part of the program which works with Animals can accept Cats and Dogs and Spiders, providing they all inherit from Animal)

Even worse, Java's deserialization API bypasses normal object construction and builds the raw objects in memory directly, without any of the normal error checking that the object type might have. This means you can feed it corrupt data that generates an incoherent object that can't possibly exist under normal circumstances.

This means that if you can find an object type somewhere in a Java program that can be used to execute arbitrary code (possibly by corrupting that object's internal state, since the serialization API just lets you deserialize corrupt objects), and if that object type inherits from one of the types that the deserializer expects, then you can feed your (possibly corrupt) malicious object into the Java program and it'll run the code that you want. The actual chains of (potentially corrupted) objects can get really indirect and circuitous, but if you can come up with some sequence of objects that e.g. leads to a Java class loader loading unsigned JARs via HTTP, then you win. If you're running code on the other computer, then you can do anything you want, like modify the program on disk to run the code you want every time the program is run.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Tempted to restart my server with that islands mod popped in.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

Tempted to restart my server with that islands mod popped in.
If you do I might recommend changing the config so the distance between islands is less than the default, maybe cut it in half or more. At the default setting, "islandSeperation" is set to 800, which gives you spacing like this:

Which may not look like much but that's 700-800 blocks to the nearest island and if you were to look behind the camera, the nearest one in the opposite direction is over 1200. So you might want closer islands in multiplayer. It's not a number you can change after world creation without making some really jarring transitions.
I might also disable the Dead Sea and Lush Stacks biomes if you're using Oh the Biomes You'll Go like I am, or you're going to see them more often than you see actual islands, and as cool as they are that gets old and cluttered really drat fast.

Also, as long as I'm posting screenshots, here are what my two closest neighbor islands look like.

The nearest neighbor is a neopolitan-style island with three main distinct biome slices, and some very squared cliffs. This feels like it would've been a fine island to start on, too, providing some compact biome diversity, lots of resources, and a pretty mild geography for building a nice base or even village on.
There is a sort of flat, low meadow that circles the mountains on the left side between the coast, which offers some interesting options.

Meanwhile my next closest neighbor is much less hospitable. Covered in obnoxious shrubgrass and mostly just a single biome, I don't think I'd have enjoyed starting here. I do like the overall shape of the landmass, though, like the low bay, the circle-shaped inlet, the staggered smaller islands, and so on. The single mountain on the edge overlooking the whole island especially is a really cool feature that'd be fun to build up on.
One thing I've noticed about these screenshots is the scale gets a little lost, especially with the distant LOD on and the biomes spawning some extremely large trees. The inclusion of a pillager tower puts into perspective the real size of this place.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Some real interesting island generation at times.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

I see! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Sheesh java is kinda hosed up...

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I want to do the skull fire sword craft in GTNH. What are some ways I can get my stability up? Here is what my current alter looks like and it is 9 stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

I want to do the skull fire sword craft in GTNH. What are some ways I can get my stability up? Here is what my current alter looks like and it is 9 stability.

Craft ancient cobblestone. All stabilizers are equal, and ancient cobblestone is ridiculously cheap.

It's ugly though, so hide it under the floor. Spam this stuff until your arcane abacus says you're good.