Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So this one is for J6? Because they said election interference so it made me think of Georgia, unless there's something I'm missing? Georgia was state charges though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The witness tampering gives me the most hope. You can muddy the water about a lot of the other things but witness tampering is something that seems more direct and understandable.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The witness tampering gives me the most hope. You can muddy the water about a lot of the other things but witness tampering is something that seems more direct and understandable.

You can muddy the waters about anything you want. The stolen documents case is an obvious undeniable objective crime and it's still muddied.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can muddy the waters about anything you want. The stolen documents case is an obvious undeniable objective crime and it's still muddied.

Yes but I think the tampering (and also the documents) case is something that is more easily understandable to most people.

That isn’t to say he shouldn’t get every charge he’s facing. They’re all important. But I think if they have solid evidence of tampering it’s going to hurt him more than the rest because people can grok that better than interference in an electoral process that a lot of people don’t understand in the first place.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Listen, how is Trump supposed to coordinate an effective legal defense against the big boogyman Biden if he's not even allowed to talk to the witnesses?!? This whole thing is a sham. Witness tampering? That's just his communication style, and it was carried out by underlings who had no direct contact with Trump anyway.

If the witnesses felt threatened it's their fault for lying to Congress about these crimes trump didn't do

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Listen, how is Trump supposed to coordinate an effective legal defense against the big boogyman Biden if he's not even allowed to talk to the witnesses?!? This whole thing is a sham. Witness tampering? That's just his communication style, and it was carried out by underlings who had no direct contact with Trump anyway.

If the witnesses felt threatened it's their fault for lying to Congress about these crimes trump didn't do

That’s where like 30% of people are at for sure. I do believe that more people are swayable (at least to stay home) than most people do though. Maybe I’m a hopeless optimist.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

That’s where like 30% of people are at for sure. I do believe that more people are swayable (at least to stay home) than most people do though. Maybe I’m a hopeless optimist.

It's not like you need to make all the Trump supporters say "oh god I was so wrong he is a criminal!." If you take someone from voting for him to staying home, or not clicking that "Share if you support Trump against the liberal with hunt!" meme or changing the channel when some talk show host is defending Trump or most importantly deciding that he's not worth fighting and dying/killing for in real life, it is a positive change in the world.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Edit: wrong thread.

gregday fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 27, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I mean I agree that in the vastness of the universe I think there is other life, but I don’t think that means they’ve ever been here.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m just a little old atheist, but isn’t that intensely sacrilegious? Made in god’s image, sent his own son down to take our sins, big cornerstones of the whole system, yadda yadda?

Jesus these clowns don’t believe in anything, do they.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m just a little old atheist, but isn’t that intensely sacrilegious? Made in god’s image, sent his own son down to take our sins, big cornerstones of the whole system, yadda yadda?

Also atheist but from what I’ve gathered from my religious friends nothing in their religion precludes alien life, or even intelligent alien life.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not really. See: biblical Angels

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What are the actual punishments/consequences for Trump being indicted so far?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also atheist but from what I’ve gathered from my religious friends nothing in their religion precludes alien life, or even intelligent alien life.

No the part about “we(humans) are not the best God can do”.

That’s what I’m pointing at. Not just aliens existing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Crows Turn Off posted:

Blood pressure increases with narcissistic rage episodes I guess?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Crows Turn Off posted:

Nothing? He hasn't gone to trial so he hasn't been convicted of anything yet so there's no punishment for him yet.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Crows Turn Off posted:

By design you aren’t supposed to get punished until you’re found guilty.

When you’re rich and can make or aren’t asked to make bail then it actually works that way. When you’re poor not so much.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The idea of intelligent alien life and the idea that humanity is not the best that god can do are explicitly ruled out in the old testament.

It doesn't rule out the possibility of some form of alien life existing, but god only blessed humanity with reason, intelligence, and free will and all other creatures in existence were lesser beasts who man has dominion over.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Barracades are going up outside the Georgia courthouse. Is it possible we get the legendary same day double indictment?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Literally everyone knows Trump did crimes.

About 30% of America just thinks his crimes were perfect actually, the best crimes ever

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Caros posted:

Barracades are going up outside the Georgia courthouse. Is it possible we get the legendary same day double indictment?

If Trump's attorneys just had the meeting with the special counsel today, then they probably aren't announcing an indictment in the next 3 hours.

Georgia might, but they also put up barriers sometimes when they think it is possibility that something will happen and not necessarily because they plan for something to happen.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I thought there was some sort of session in Georgia that doesn't begin until August 1, that we were waiting on before the GJ there could vote to indict?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Literally everyone knows Trump did crimes.

About 30% of America just thinks his crimes were perfect actually, the best crimes ever

Yeah I agree 30% are unreachable. He won’t win with 30% though, and I think (again maybe naively) that witness intimidation is so easy to understand that a few of the other percentage he needs are going to decide he isn’t worth voting for anymore.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If Trump's attorneys just had the meeting with the special counsel today, then they probably aren't announcing an indictment in the next 3 hours.

Georgia might, but they also put up barriers sometimes when they think it is possibility that something will happen and not necessarily because they plan for something to happen.

Let me have hope Damnit.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The idea of intelligent alien life and the idea that humanity is not the best that god can do are explicitly ruled out in the old testament.

It doesn't rule out the possibility of some form of alien life existing, but god only blessed humanity with reason, intelligence, and free will and all other creatures in existence were lesser beasts who man has dominion over.

I dunno if you're aware, but religious folk are not troubled in the slightest by logical inconsistency or even direct contradiction, especially in their texts, and in fact many religions build in pressure release concepts to their dogma for this reason. Which is to say, everything is against the rules in Calvinball until someone makes up a rule for it, then it's all good.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Do we have any idea or is there any speculation about the identity of the witness(es) in the rumored tampering indictment?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My money’s on Mark Meadows.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

snorch posted:

My money’s on Mark Meadows.

This seems like the right answer. He was seen leaving the grand jury / special counsel office yesterday and he's the kind who goes whatever way the wind is blowing.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
MSNBC says the grand jury isn't returning an indictment today.

E: Possibly something previous that was under seal.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 27, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This is not the only interpretation of the old testament even before accounting for translation issues and whether ancient Hebrew had a word for "thinking beings that aren't specifically homo sapiens" that wouldn't just render as "man." Like, dunk on Christianity all you want, or religion in general. But can we not do that incredibly cringy atheist prooftexting "checkmate, Christians :smuggo:" thing like we're back in the McCaine days?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is not the only interpretation of the old testament even before accounting for translation issues and whether ancient Hebrew had a word for "thinking beings that aren't specifically homo sapiens" that wouldn't just render as "man." Like, dunk on Christianity all you want, or religion in general. But can we not do that incredibly cringy atheist prooftexting "checkmate, Christians :smuggo:" thing like we're back in the McCaine days?

What are the interpretations that god could have created an alien race more perfect than humanity? Because there isn't any translation issue I am aware of that said that god did not make man in his image and endowed only man with the ability to reason like god. It's not an "owned Christians" thing either. That is explicitly what I was taught in the old testament/Torah in Hebrew school for Jews. It is the same in English or Hebrew.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

I mean I agree that in the vastness of the universe I think there is other life, but I don’t think that means they’ve ever been here.

Let's hope they haven't because finding intelligent alien life would increase the chance that life on Earth has not yet encountered the Great Filter. Humanity is either first, fortunate, or hosed. If we're not first, then the probability of "hosed" goes up.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

neurobasalmedium posted:

Let's hope they haven't because finding intelligent alien life would increase the chance that life on Earth has not yet encountered the Great Filter. Humanity is either first, fortunate, or hosed. If we're not first, then the probability of "hosed" goes up.

Or c really is a hard cap, and the universe could well be teeming with life that’ll never be able to interact in any meaningful way.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Xiahou Dun posted:

No the part about “we(humans) are not the best God can do”.

That’s what I’m pointing at. Not just aliens existing.

I don't think the part you quoted is sacrilegious. God created angels, for example.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

What are the interpretations that god could have created an alien race more perfect than humanity? Because there isn't any translation issue I am aware of that said that god did not make man in his image and endowed only man with the ability to reason like god. It's not an "owned Christians" thing either. That is explicitly what I was taught in the old testament/Torah in Hebrew school for Jews. It is the same in English or Hebrew.

Jewish scholars were making the scriptural case for intelligent alien life 600 years ago and a web search shows it still frequently discussed in Jewish philosophical circles so it sounds like that was your school? Humanity being alone in the (material) universe is not a settled question of either Christianity or Judaism and the question itself isn't even modern.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/charlesbethea/status/1684615571537580032

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Killer robot posted:

Jewish scholars were making the scriptural case for intelligent alien life 600 years ago and a web search shows it still frequently discussed in Jewish philosophical circles so it sounds like that was your school? Humanity being alone in the (material) universe is not a settled question of either Christianity or Judaism and the question itself isn't even modern.

It's not the existance of alien life that is ruled out. It's the idea that alien life that is more intelligent or more perfect than humanity could exist.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

It's not the existance of alien life that is ruled out. It's the idea that alien life that is more intelligent or more perfect than humanity could exist.

Which verses explicitly rule this out?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Nobody ever talks about the possibility of the creatures God created after humans, which I'm assuming would be better just because of the acquired experience of doing it once already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Judgy Fucker posted:

Which verses explicitly rule this out?

quote:

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant."

quote:

“God created human beings, he created them godlike, reflecting God’s nature. He created them male and female.”

quote:

When God created man, he made it godlike, with a nature akin to God. Mankind alone has a natural countenance looking upward.

quote:

An understanding of who man is begins with knowing we are made in the image of God.

quote:

Man is different from every other order of created being because He has a created consistency with God. Mankind alone possesses personality, morality, and spirituality.

Man has a special relationship with god and a special role by virtue of being created in his image (then Christians and Jews disagree about whether Jesus was his literal son and avatar or just a really good guy who god sent out to spread the good word).

Genesis says that man is "the foremost amongst all of God’s creations." That god created him in his image and endowed him with reason, which had previously only been the providence of god.

God is perfection and to craft humanity in his likeness, gift them with his reason, and put him foremost among all his creations means that there would not be another being more intelligent or god-like than god or his image.

God also refers to all of his creations as "good," but reserves "very good" only for humanity. Humanity was created as the only species intelligent enough to have a personal relationship with god as part of his plan. Only the angels are higher and man becomes equal to them in heaven.

If there was another species he created with more intelligence than man, then everything about god's plan would be contradicted.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 27, 2023