Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I went on the watch and made sure Samsung Health is set to only monitor heart activity manually, then re-revoked its activity and sensor permissions. So I didn't actually change any settings, just verified that they're as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So with all that done, it still flashes?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah sometimes. I haven't been keeping a log of when I notice it, but I can be more conscientious if that'd help.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hooah posted:

Yeah sometimes. I haven't been keeping a log of when I notice it, but I can be more conscientious if that'd help.

Do you have any tiles or complications configured that might be requesting heart rate data?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wolrah posted:

Do you have any tiles or complications configured that might be requesting heart rate data?

No. Tiles are the things to the right of the watch face, right? I only have the weather one of those. On the face I have Pujie's step counter, but that doesn't actually seek to work.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just had a thought. Does wrist detection have to periodically flash the green light? I know my watch stays unlocked and keeps my phone unlocked as long as it's on my wrist.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Qylvaran posted:

Just had a thought. Does wrist detection have to periodically flash the green light? I know my watch stays unlocked and keeps my phone unlocked as long as it's on my wrist.

Yeah, pretty sure this is it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm. I don't have smart lock enabled. Would it still try to check for that even so? That does sound like a good candidate, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You use google pay or samsung wallet on the watch? It needs to know to lock if it’s taken off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My Galaxy Watch 5 does the green flash thing, which I also assume is wrist detection. Mine locks whenever it is off my wrist, which I'm perfectly fine with. The green flashes don't bother me, personally.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

You use google pay or samsung wallet on the watch? It needs to know to lock if it’s taken off.

Ahh, that's probably it. Thanks!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just wanted to vouch that the Samsung backup/restore is pretty good, though the "auto-backup" feature apparently only ever activated in January. I was able to manually trigger a backup from my phone after locking myself out of the watch after changing the pattern after a night of drinking. Whee.

But it was a matter of a few minutes to get back up and running to how I had the watch working before. A couple of non-default apps I use weirdly lagged installing, but it was a far cry from the time I had to wipe my phone's network/bluetooth settings and had to start from scratch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Still not as good as being able to switch devices without resetting, I can't wait for that.

Backup and restore device is fine, but updating apps and putting contactless payments back is annoying.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Any reason I shouldn't buy the 40mm GW5 for my wife? I've had a good experience with the pro but it's much too large for her

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only downside is that it will get similar battery life to the Pixel Watch.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Huh, it looks like Mobvoi might be close to actually updating the Ticwatch 3 series to Wear OS 3.0. I'm really happy with my Galaxy Watch, but still have my Ticwatch E3 paired to my secondary phone (so it never gets used) and am interested to see how it does with an updated OS. https://www.androidpolice.com/ticwatch-pro-3-series-e3-wear-os-3-beta/?newsletter_popup=1

If Mobvoi actually put any effort into internationalization I'd be more likely to recommend them, but the terrible English translations and convoluted permissions they had for Wear OS 2.0 kind of put me off them. The watch served me well, though, and if it improves with Wear OS 3 then it might be a nice budget option.

Edit: I also still have the Ticwatch E2 that served as my proof of concept for whether I'd find a smartwatch helpful, because I never throw things away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Full specs of the Watch 6 and 6 Classic leaked out and it's looking like it's more or less a cut and paste from Watch 5 and Watch 4 with some small battery size and screen bumps.

Galaxy Watch 6 Specs

Display (40mm): 1.31″ AMOLED 432 x 432, (330 ppi) Sapphire glass
Display (44mm: 1.47″ AMOLED 480 x 480, (372 ppi) Sapphire glass
Chip: Exynos W930
Memory: 2GB RAM, 16GB storage
Battery: 300mAh (40mm), 425 mAh (44mm)
Other: Aluminum case
Durability: IP68, MIL-STD-810H, 5 ATM
Connectivity: WiFi, LTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.3
Colors: Graphite Grey, Gold, Silver

Galaxy Watch 6 Classic Specs

Display (43mm): 1.31″ AMOLED 432 x 432, (330 ppi) Sapphire glass
Display (47mm): 1.47″ AMOLED 480 x 480, (372 ppi) Sapphire glass
Chip: Exynos W930
Memory: 2GB RAM, 16GB storage
Battery: 300mAh (43mm), 425 mAh (47mm)
Case: Rotating Bezel made of stainless steel
Durability: IP68, MIL-STD-810H, 5 ATM
Connectivity: WiFi, LTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.3
Colors:Black, Silver

Of note, even the largest Watch 6 Classic, with a measured case size larger than the Watch 5 Pro, has a MUCH smaller battery than the 590mAh cell in that watch. It's a decent bump over the 364mAh in the Watch 4 Classic, but nowhere in the same league as the Watch 5 Pro. That, and the stainless steel case rather than titanium means that the 6 Classic is very much an upgrade for the 4 Classic but probably won't replace the 5 Pro in the lineup.

I'm really wondering if the Classic/Pro are going to be every other year offerings.

Also, the W930 isn't really expected to be materially different from the W920. So unless you want to take advantage of Samsung's trade in deals to refresh to a newer wearable, it probably isn't going to give that much of a difference.

I'll probably trade in the Watch 4 Classic I still have in on a Watch 6 Classic for the larger screen and battery life, but my Pro is going to remain my flagship WearOS device.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 19, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

At first I missed the bezel when I replaced my Frontier with a 5 Pro, but I wouldn't go back. It's plenty responsive using the touch bezel or swiping, and I am a fan of the solid construction.

My Frontier had bits of rubber gasket fall out of the bezel years ago and that couldn't be good for its longitivtiy.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Seems like the 44 6 has an even smaller battery? Isn't the 5 Pro like 585 or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, that's what I said. The Watch 5 Pro is 590mah.

All of the Watch 6 variants have bigger batteries than the devices they are succeeding, but none are in the same league as the Watch 5 Pro. That seems like it is going to remain the top Galaxy Watch even this year. It has a bigger battery and a more durable build (titanium vs stainless steel).

The Watch 6 Classic is a successor to and improves upon the Watch 4 Classic, but remains a lower tier device to the Watch 5 Pro.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've had the 5 Pro over half a year now, and thought I finally scratched the bezel slightly but ... it wiped off.

The watch itself basically still looks new. The default titanium grey/green silicon strap has some slight discolouration.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I immediately replaced the stock band with a clasped one like this https://www.amazon.ca/Fullmosa-Quick-Release-Watch-Stainless/dp/B07F22V7JX/

Pretty happy with the 5 Pro so far as well. I have better luck with gpay than on my TWP3. I have to tell myself not to obsess about battery life, I keep thinking its only the second day when I have to plug it in but pretty sure its almost always on the third, with AOD on.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh weird, I still have my Frontier one but thought it wouldn't fit for some reason. I think it's the identical brand even. It was such a fantastic upgrade. Thanks for pointing that out.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I pulled that link up randomly, double check thats the right width if you are considering that one. Not sure if its 20 or 22mm

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't remember what exactly I didn't like about the Fullmosa one. Maybe it didn't quite fit between the lugs? I ended up getting this one for my Watch 4 Classic. I like that the ends of the band are shaped to lie along the edges of the watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No surprises at all from all the leaked Galaxy Watch info. All of the specs and capabilities are spot on.

I would say that the biggest piece of information is that they are coming out on August 11th and that they are confirmed to be running WearOS 4, so that means we're just 2 weeks away from WearOS 4 launch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey dumb question but I'm trading in my Watch 4 for a 6 Classic and decided on a whim to bump up to the 47mm from the 44mm. I'm a big dude and think I have fairly large sized hands but it's kind of hard finding side by side comparisons of what these sizes look like on a wrist. Is 47mm too big? I can't say that I've ever thought that my watch was too small but I really have no idea if I'll get this thing and a difference of 3mm means it'll be like ridiculously, comically oversized or just slightly larger.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm a big guy as well, I feel like you should have no problem. I have the 5Pro and it's not any bigger than a couple of the chonkier traditional watches I've worn. I think the Moto360 was 50mm? And that was fine for me. My 45mm Shinola looks about the same.

Remember that 3mm in diameter is only 1.5mm on each side, so I doubt it would be THAT noticeable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's really hard to say because wrists come in all sorts of dimensions and watch size itself is also a personal preference.

I like chunky watches and have big wrists so the size sounds fantastic to me.

This is what a Watch 4 Classic 46mm looked like on my wrist.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 27, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, 1.5mm on each side doesn't sound like a lot but I have no idea what to expect haha. That 46 looks fine though so I'm sure this will also be fine. I want a watch that looks more like a watch and less like a fitbit and I think upgrading to the larger classic will probably do that for me.

:tipshat:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The weight may be the biggest difference you'll feel between the Watch 4 44mm and the Watch 6 Classic 47mm. 30.3g -> 59g as the stainless steel is quite a bit heavier. I'm running the Watch 4 Classic 46mm which weights 52g and don't find it too heavy at all, so it's not like 59g is going to be too heavy in itself, just that it's a bigger difference than the size.

Just did the trade in upgrade to the Watch 6 Classic and don't really know why I did, it's not very different overall. The 4 Classic is worth $200 trade in, but the remaining $229 difference isn't a bargain for what is a remarkably similar device. They upgraded the sensor package for the 5 series and it's supposed to sit flusher with the wrist, that's about the single biggest upgrade.

I see folks asking about getting the Galaxy watches to work with non-Samsung phones online. The watch worked without any real effort with the Pixel Fold I just switched to from a Samsung phone. Didn't really have to do anything fancy, just installed the Galaxy Health app which I prefer to the Google Fit/Health stuff - all the history carries over when you log into your Samsung account with the Health app. The watch face I use - Pixel Minimal - comes with an app you have to run on the phone and that works without any problems too, including forwarding notifications and phone battery info to the watch. I didn't install the extra apks for the blood pressure and ECG sensors, so maybe those don't work? :iiam:

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 27, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I've been using Galaxy Watches with Pixels since the Watch Active without any sort of issue at all.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm using the Watch 5 Pro with OnePlus, and yeah the weird online discourse, and Samsung's own marketing, made me avoid it for many months before I was sure it would be fine. I have literally zero complaints, it truly exceeded all my expectations and is a HUGE upgrade over my (Tizen) Samsung Frontier.

I was a bit reluctant to lose that rotating bezel but after a day or two it's a total non-starter. (I don't even use the feature now, but there is a "soft bezel" option not on by default that lets you swipe your finger around the edge to act like the mechanical one. It was cool though.)

Also I missed my Pipboy Tizen face, but this one is even better: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reysondev.pipboy

But I've actually mostly been using the default Samsung "Live Wallpaper" (I had to double-check that that's what it's called). I don't even know how but I have two versions of the same thing in my list. One plain, and one with weather complications I use to plan my commutes. But it's very "pretty" and just creates a nice kinda sand art-like wave design that randomly regenerates whenever you interact with it. And yet is very functional with the strong complication support.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I don't actually love my watch4 classic but the upgrade to a (non classic) watch6 44mm was only $85 so :shrug:

I don't really love the bigass rotating bezel, I never use it, don't need it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I use the bezel daily, got used to it. The 4 Classic is my first watch in like 20 years and the bezel has become part of the interface to me.

Cancelled the 6 Classic pre-order soon after I put it in. Paying $229 after trading in a watch that's not too different in the first place just felt wrong. To be honest, there's not much more I want from a watch other than more health sensors. The 4 Classic is still a fine watch for me.

There was a rumor that Apple has some blood sugar tracking tech that's going into a watch - hope we see more of that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey, look at what inexplicably came in the mail today

Definitely glad I went with this size, there really isn't much of a difference from my old one. It's thicker and for sure weightier but I like how it feels on the wrist.

Edit: Not sure if this is new for the 6 but holy poo poo the pins for attaching wrist bands to this is a thousand times easier than how it was on the 4.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 7, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm super disappointed that the watch requires a new app to back up now and they are no longer cloud backups.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

I'm super disappointed that the watch requires a new app to back up now and they are no longer cloud backups.

Wait what? Seriously, Samsung?!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bought a Pixel watch in the flash sale for about what I paid for my 41mm Oppo three years ago, because I am stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Wait what? Seriously, Samsung?!

You have to install the Samsung Smart Switch application now and everything appears to be local. Of course, my watch hasn't backed anything up yet since there doesn't seem to be a way to trigger a backup manually.

No idea what they were thinking here. It doesn't even seem like it should be the right app to cram this functionality into.