Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani will play for the Cubs and one day I will be walking around my neighborhood and will bump into him, I'll ask "Hey are you Shohei Ohtani?" (fully knowing it's him) and he will say "Yes, that is me nice to meet you" we will then start to chat about the neighborhood and I'll mention that I too play baseball (not professionally) and he'll invite me to come over to his home batting cage to hit with him, I'll show up a few days later and Seiya Suzuki, Nico Hoerner, Ian Happ, Cody Bellinger and Kyle Hendricks will all be there hitting and pitching we will hangout for hours just taking turns batting and maybe throwing BP to each other other, they'll laugh at all my jokes and witty observances this will go on for a few weeks before they all decide that it would be cool to have me in the dugout during games and they've already cleared it with David Ross and all my expenses will be covered as I'll fly with the team, I become close friends with all the Cubs players and they insist I be in the dugout for the playoff run, the Cubs make it to game 7 of the World Series where during a rain delay I give an encouraging speech about how we have to do this for each other which every loves and they go out and win it in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off grand slam by Ohtani, Ohtani and myself are awarded World Series co-MVP and we are seen drinking Old Styles on the parade bus together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Didn't Ohtani say he doesn't want to play anywhere cold?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Popete posted:

Ohtani will play for the Cubs and one day I will be walking around my neighborhood and will bump into him, I'll ask "Hey are you Shohei Ohtani?" (fully knowing it's him) and he will say "Yes, that is me nice to meet you" we will then start to chat about the neighborhood and I'll mention that I too play baseball (not professionally) and he'll invite me to come over to his home batting cage to hit with him, I'll show up a few days later and Seiya Suzuki, Nico Hoerner, Ian Happ, Cody Bellinger and Kyle Hendricks will all be there hitting and pitching we will hangout for hours just taking turns batting and maybe throwing BP to each other other, they'll laugh at all my jokes and witty observances this will go on for a few weeks before they all decide that it would be cool to have me in the dugout during games and they've already cleared it with David Ross and all my expenses will be covered as I'll fly with the team, I become close friends with all the Cubs players and they insist I be in the dugout for the playoff run, the Cubs make it to game 7 of the World Series where during a rain delay I give an encouraging speech about how we have to do this for each other which every loves and they go out and win it in the bottom of the 9th with a walk off grand slam by Ohtani, Ohtani and myself are awarded World Series co-MVP and we are seen drinking Old Styles on the parade bus together

Even in your wildest dreams the cubs blow 3 games in the World Series. That’s beautiful.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

live with fruit posted:

For a rental? No offense to Baltimore or Cincinnati but they're not signing Ohtani long term.

All the more reason to go after him while they can. Baltimore taking Ohtani into the playoffs has to make them the favorite to at least win the pennant.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well Played Mauer posted:

All the more reason to go after him while they can. Baltimore taking Ohtani into the playoffs has to make them the favorite to at least win the pennant.

They would have had to trade like three big-time guys off that young roster

It doesn't make sense

The only thing that makes sense is wallets

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

live with fruit posted:

Good news Shohei, Houston is literally never cold and it’s only going to get hotter and more humid!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Endless Trash posted:

Even in your wildest dreams the cubs blow 3 games in the World Series. That’s beautiful.

In this scenario Ohtani pitches the other 4 games.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What was the last time a team really made a system-altering deadline haul on a star with an expiring contract? It just seems like teams don't make those kind of deals anymore for a rental. I don't know if the Angels could get for Ohtani what the Rangers got for Mark Teixeira back in the day.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do you hear all these reasonable people Arte?

I am available to have a meeting any time if you would like to go over some things.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

General Dog posted:

What was the last time a team really made a system-altering deadline haul on a star with an expiring contract? It just seems like teams don't make those kind of deals anymore for a rental. I don't know if the Angels could get for Ohtani what the Rangers got for Mark Teixeira back in the day.
Chapman to the cubs probably?? Price to the Jays but that was the year prior.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

General Dog posted:

Teixeira was a year and a half, and the Braves ended up flipping him to the Angels for Casey Kotchman.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ByJackHarris/status/1684665121187246080

lol now this would be spicy. Apparently they've discussed both Arenado and Arenado + pitching (Montgomery and Flaherty both mentioned) with the Dodgers sending back "young pitching" and "Max Muncy or Chris Taylor, if not both."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

General Dog posted:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol why would the Cardinals want either of them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I just don’t see St Louis trading Arenado, they’re not ready to face down a multi year rebuild, they still believe they can compete next year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lol why would the Cardinals want either of them.

I can only assume it's a salary thing? Even if they think Taylor has some bounceback seasons left in him Muncy is an FA after this season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/ByJackHarris/status/1684665121187246080

lol now this would be spicy. Apparently they've discussed both Arenado and Arenado + pitching (Montgomery and Flaherty both mentioned) with the Dodgers sending back "young pitching" and "Max Muncy or Chris Taylor, if not both."

Oh good so Muncy and Taylor can both hit 20 homers per year against the Cubs instead of their normal 5. No thank you.

Popete posted:

:emptyquote:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

live with fruit posted:

Teixeira was a year and a half, and the Braves ended up flipping him to the Angels for Casey Kotchman.

this one still loving haunts the organization

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Muncy has a club option for next year at $10M

Edit: actually it has escalators based on PAs this year. Currently his option is $11M and it goes up another half million for each of 400, 450 PA this year, then another $1M each for 500 and 550. At present Max has 356 PA.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 27, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers should trade for Jordan Montgomery though

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

What did the Brewers trade for CC back in the day

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

One time I met Munenori Kawasaki in the parking lot at spring training. Basically the same thing!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One time I met Munenori Kawasaki in the parking lot at spring training. Basically the same thing!

I mean we WERE in the parade that year so yes

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What did the Brewers trade for CC back in the day

LaPorta and Brantley.

And hasn't Arenado said he's not waiving his no-trade clause? Especially after he opted in and then Machado threatened to opt out and got $350 million.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

General Dog posted:

Cubs/Chapman probably, although even then the Cubs still had a Top 5 farm after the trade but between Happ graduating and Eloy/Cease being sent out for Quintana, it was destitute by the end of 2017.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I mean we WERE in the parade that year so yes

Make it 2016 again through science or magic.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

live with fruit posted:

LaPorta and Brantley.

And hasn't Arenado said he's not waiving his no-trade clause? Especially after he opted in and then Machado threatened to opt out and got $350 million.

That is WILD that Brantley was part of that trade, they feel like completely different eras.

Sabathia should have won the NL Cy that year.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

camoseven posted:

Ohtani pitched a 1 hit CGSO in game 1, and has now homered in game 2. He's the greatest baseball player of all time hands down.

I don't have a point I'm just blown away by how good he is.

every couple days i have to take a step back and think about the fact that baseball has existed in some form or another for well over 150 years and we're the only people in that time that get to watch shohei ohtani. sometimes life is good actually

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

i had a very brief conversation with travis wood the day after the WS, he was cleaning out his locker and taking an armload of stuff to his car while i was walking by the left field bleachers looking at the chalk wall. i said "congrats, woody!" and he said "thanks!" it was as i said a brief conversation

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

live with fruit posted:

that doesn't rule out any teams in the MLB so I don't think it matters

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

man i remember when i was a kid you could just hang out there after games and players would stop to sign autographs on the way to their cars. i got dawson, sandberg, grace, sutcliffe i think, at least.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ONE BILLION DOLLARS

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

LaPorta and Brantley.

Arenado grew up a Dodgers fan and famously wanted to be a Dodger for a long time, which is why he’s been a bit of a white whale for this team. But I don’t really buy that he wants it that bad anymore, considering he signed that extension in the first place and didn’t opt out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

that doesn't rule out any teams in the MLB so I don't think it matters

Don't show him this:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

live with fruit posted:

Don't show him this:

I miss Jorge Soler coming out in April dressed like a mummy.

more falafel please posted:

i had a very brief conversation with travis wood the day after the WS, he was cleaning out his locker and taking an armload of stuff to his car while i was walking by the left field bleachers looking at the chalk wall. i said "congrats, woody!" and he said "thanks!" it was as i said a brief conversation

I went out drinking with Wood and his wife after working an event and they were super fun and nice people. He was more reserved than I expected based on his public persona, but his wife was pretty much exactly who I expected Travis to be, heh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I got to meet Happ at Spring Training in 2017 at a meet and greet event, he was very funny particularly in comparison to the other prospect at the event as well Chesney Young. One of us asked if they'd watched the WS live and Young was very subdued with "oh yes I was very happy the Cubs won" and then Happ laughs and goes "oh man me and the boys were loving TRASHED just screaming at the TV, I lost my goddamn mind when Davis tied it up" which was very gratifying to hear from a player because that was exactly what I was doing as well.

Somewhere buried in a box I have a ball both of them signed that's scuffed to poo poo because an old roommate wasn't paying attention and just grabbed it off my desk to go play catch with while I was at work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Dog posted:

What was the last time a team really made a system-altering deadline haul on a star with an expiring contract?

The Dodgers going all-in on Scherzer and Turner in 2021?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timby posted:

The Dodgers going all-in on Scherzer and Turner in 2021?

They still had an extra year of Turner.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
also hardly a franchise altering return

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ohtani shouldn’t sign with the cheating and rear end in a top hat Astros who just threw a bench clearing fit because they were being beat too bad.

Trade “rentals” depend on a lot of things. Does the player fill a need you think legitimately puts you over the top? Do you truly believe you have a strong shot at winning it all or need to make a run now? Do you have enough commodities to not only make the deal but do it without hurting your team now or in the near future? And of course does the other team want to deal with you or is dealing in good faith? Letting yourself get fleeced to miss the playoffs or get knocked out first round and watching the guy leave to free agency and guys you played strive elsewhere is something that happens a lot more often than the alternative.

Fans just want what they want when they want it and don’t care about any of that because they’re toddlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So do the Angels have a chance of doing anything at all in the postseason? Is Trout supposed to be back by then?

Or should I be laughed out of the thread for asking both questions