Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
another gut buster dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHSjp_JYBcw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Captain Toasted posted:

I know this isn't the thread for it but goddam do aquarium stores charge a shitload for actual rocks.

Craft stores, hippie "healing crystal" type places, and AMAZINGLY ENOUGH places that sell landscaping rocks are good places to look. Obviously vinegar test them etc. before use but it's usually pretty easy to find some decent stuff. Craft/hippie stores are better for decorative, but if you want like 50lb of polished river stone just go to a place that sells rocks.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

hell yeah, it's Steve1989MRE day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:yosnice:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1684252147112706048

This is actually way better looking than I would've guessed for a late '70s taco photo, but lol at that massive blorp of sour cream & stuff :ohdear:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
MRUHAHAHAHAHA

BEHOLD!

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1684412544213979137?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXp8dTGe0s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is actually way better looking than I would've guessed for a late '70s taco photo, but lol at that massive blorp of sour cream & stuff :ohdear:

Sour cream helps mayonnaise elementals not die when we taste the mild salsa.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I'm not watching any of that and you can't make me :mad:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

dog nougat posted:

I'm not watching any of that and you can't make me :mad:

I know this is too long for a thread title, but I can dream, dammit

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know this is too long for a thread title, but I can dream, dammit

What's the actual character limit? I'm gonna assume smilies can't be in thread titles for reasons

Edit: by my Googleing it should fit. Apparently the limit is 85 characters. I dunno. I haven't made a new thread in years since I don't think the awful app will let me, plus I have nothing terribly important to announce atm.

dog nougat has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jul 27, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Desert Bus posted:

Craft stores, hippie "healing crystal" type places, and AMAZINGLY ENOUGH places that sell landscaping rocks are good places to look. Obviously vinegar test them etc. before use but it's usually pretty easy to find some decent stuff. Craft/hippie stores are better for decorative, but if you want like 50lb of polished river stone just go to a place that sells rocks.

What's vinegar testing in this context?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

leave the rock in vinegar overnight, if it fizzes or gets cloudy it contains calcium carbonate so you probably shouldn't use it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is very much the same design many roleplaying splatbooks used in the 90's
What I'm saying is my bard/ priest half-elf is ready and rearing to adventure in exotic Sun Country, Mexico.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That taco cookbook looks like it's baiting people to smirk at it like James May going "and how, pray, am I to attempt to eat such a geometric absurdity? Turn my head upon its side?" and proceed to demonstrate for yuks

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

By popular demand posted:

This is very much the same design many roleplaying splatbooks used in the 90's
What I'm saying is my bard/ priest half-elf is ready and rearing to adventure in exotic Sun Country, Mexico.

"I play to Inspire Courage."
"Alright, your instrument?"
"Bean farts."
"We're, uh, going to have to do periodic constitution checks for that performance."
"Bring it on. I've got practice."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

That taco cookbook looks like it's baiting people to smirk at it like James May going "and how, pray, am I to attempt to eat such a geometric absurdity? Turn my head upon its side?" and proceed to demonstrate for yuks
You bite it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Brawnfire posted:

"Bean farts."
"We're, uh, going to have to do periodic constitution checks for that performance."
Roll to save vs. indigestion

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

"Bean farts."

The fact that bean farts are lessened by more regularly eating beans would give this buff a serious diminishing return.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps you just need more exotic, powerful beans.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
At least those tacos on the cover aren't covered in black olives, the quintessential "white people taco" topping.

The cafeteria at work had taco salads yesterday...and yes, black olives were a topping option.

V V V But black olives aren't delicious, they are disgusting. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Jul 27, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Delicious things don't have to be authentic :colbert:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh....oh no....

There’s a kind of Italian preserve called mostarda: fruit coctail in syrup with mustard oil. It’s traditionally served with meat, but now also as a condiment with cheese.

Never tried it, but it sounds kind of tasty.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

PurpleXVI posted:

Runa posted:

leave the rock in vinegar overnight, if it fizzes or gets cloudy it contains calcium carbonate so you probably shouldn't use it

yeppers, toss some vinegar on there and if it fizzes or dissolves it's a bad idea unless you're looking to mess with the GH/KH of the water hardcore and are keeping fish that appreciate it. even then there are better and more accurate ways than tossing some rocks in and hoping.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If anyone makes this and posts pictures of the process, I'll give them an avatar cert or a special gangtag or something.

Ingredients!

Softened butter, KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES crumbs, and sugar.

Mash into a crust. My pie dish is 9.5" instead of the requested 9" so the mixture wasn't quite enough.

Chill the evaporated milk in an ice cube tray.

Combine KNOX UNFLAVORED GELATIN POWDER, sugar, and salt.

Add water and heat for a few minutes until dissolved.
Add lemonade concentrate and almond flavor.

Evaporated milk cubes have become slightly icy.

Whip icy evaporated milk until stiff.

Combine with chilled but still liquid gelatin mixture.

Fill chilled crumb base.

Top with fruit.

Chill and serve.

Review: pretty simple light dessert. The trickiest part is getting the icy but not frozen and syrupy but not set gelatin ready at the same time. I should have chilled the gelatin longer before trying to combine with the whipped evap milk; there was filling left over and it set much firmer than what ended up in the pie so it wasn't fully combined. I couldn't find my pie server and used a frosting knife to serve that first slice after a few hours of fridge time, and the filling fell apart. It was much better set the next day and held its shape more successfully. If all of the gelatin had mixed in it would be firmer.

As is, it would be a great dessert for a summer barbeque, cool, light, refreshing, especially with the fresh fruit. I thought about going with canned fruit in the spirit of the recipe, but I wanted to give it the best chance to be nice. I think canned fruit would have been too heavy for the filling I ended up with. The filling is a very soft and light cheat meringue with a pleasant lemony tang, don't skip the almond extract. The KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES crumb base is not unpleasant, reminiscent of rice crispy treats but denser and less sticky and more chewy. A good textural counterbalance to the airy meringue and juicy fruit.

If I do it again I'll definitely chill the gelatin longer before trying to combine and I might combine using the stand mixer on low instead of folding in by hand. I think if it combined fully I could have got a bigger heap of filling in the crust and it would be a little more firm. Also, I would not try this without a power mixer to make the whipped evap milk. With no sugar and no egg you really have to blast it to get the air in. Freezing the milk for a little longer might have helped.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Excellent, thanks for putting in the effort to document it! :discourse:

I'd definitely try it, I've had similar pies at church potlucks way back when, but I suspect they were newer and simpler recipes in terms of what went into making the filling.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

maybealabia posted:

Delicious things don't have to be authentic :colbert:

authenticity in food or cooking is some cringe poo poo to follow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's authentically food, I will eat it, and also some things that are not authentically food.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
authenticity is for nationalism not food. if you are eating baguettes for french nationalism purposes (or salo for ukrainian nationalism purposes or burgers for american nationalism purposes) they had better be fuckin baguettes or salo or burgers

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The only authentic food is berries.

Everything else is hipster pretension.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Really should have been more explicit

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I call the extra mushroomy piece.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

First of May posted:

Top with fruit.

Review: pretty simple light dessert. The trickiest part is getting the icy but not frozen and syrupy but not set gelatin ready at the same time. I should have chilled the gelatin longer before trying to combine with the whipped evap milk; there was filling left over and it set much firmer than what ended up in the pie so it wasn't fully combined. I couldn't find my pie server and used a frosting knife to serve that first slice after a few hours of fridge time, and the filling fell apart. It was much better set the next day and held its shape more successfully. If all of the gelatin had mixed in it would be firmer.

As is, it would be a great dessert for a summer barbeque, cool, light, refreshing, especially with the fresh fruit. I thought about going with canned fruit in the spirit of the recipe, but I wanted to give it the best chance to be nice. I think canned fruit would have been too heavy for the filling I ended up with. The filling is a very soft and light cheat meringue with a pleasant lemony tang, don't skip the almond extract. The KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES crumb base is not unpleasant, reminiscent of rice crispy treats but denser and less sticky and more chewy. A good textural counterbalance to the airy meringue and juicy fruit.

If I do it again I'll definitely chill the gelatin longer before trying to combine and I might combine using the stand mixer on low instead of folding in by hand. I think if it combined fully I could have got a bigger heap of filling in the crust and it would be a little more firm. Also, I would not try this without a power mixer to make the whipped evap milk. With no sugar and no egg you really have to blast it to get the air in. Freezing the milk for a little longer might have helped.
:golfclap: That looks and sounds surprisingly edible. Good call on the fruit toppings, especially the kiwi. I might unironically have to keep this in mind as a dessert until it cools off a bit down here.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

First of May posted:

Top with fruit.

That came out great! It has strong church picnic energy. I'm still suspicious of the cornflake crust though.

Do you want an av cert or a FRUIT FESTIVAL PIE gang tag or archives or what?

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

First of May posted:

Top with fruit.

Reminds me of this video https://www.youtube.com/shorts/p0W9GuCHMJg But yours looks a lot better.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

nuh-uh no way posted:

Reminds me of this video https://www.youtube.com/shorts/p0W9GuCHMJg But yours looks a lot better.
You could just top that with fresh fruit and get much the same effect for 1/5 the effort.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That came out great! It has strong church picnic energy. I'm still suspicious of the cornflake crust though.

Do you want an av cert or a FRUIT FESTIVAL PIE gang tag or archives or what?
I'm working on a special holofoil version of the Coated With Crumbs tag, if that's alright.

The cornflake crust was honestly pretty good, I think a graham crust could work only if you added a layer of custard. You could sub honey granola and this pie would almost be healthy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

First of May posted:

Ingredients!

Softened butter, KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES crumbs, and sugar.

Mash into a crust. My pie dish is 9.5" instead of the requested 9" so the mixture wasn't quite enough.

Chill the evaporated milk in an ice cube tray.

Combine KNOX UNFLAVORED GELATIN POWDER, sugar, and salt.

Add water and heat for a few minutes until dissolved.
Add lemonade concentrate and almond flavor.

Evaporated milk cubes have become slightly icy.

Whip icy evaporated milk until stiff.

Combine with chilled but still liquid gelatin mixture.

Fill chilled crumb base.

Top with fruit.

Chill and serve.

wtf it's not meant to be good and look nice, get this outta here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

You can't outthink the Pizza Genie, stop trying.