Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

In fairness we do use JAMF to manage Macs, but the problem with my department specifically is people want them to function like Windows PCs and I keep telling them that is not possible. Apple is kind of a prestige brand so people prefer them because it "looks cooler".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Moti stickers go on Nalgenes not laptops

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, no. The M1 and beyond laptops I can see for gfx work, but enterprise wise gently caress the whole idea.

Granted, I’m probably a little biased because only assholes have macs at my company.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vargatron posted:

forgive me for blasphemy, but I have no clue why regular office workers would get assigned a Mac because they are loving impossible to get service on. I can understand if you are a dev or in A/V production, but an admin assistant does not need a Macbook Pro to get their job done.

Yes, I'll go above deck to the Captain's Mast so I can receive my forty lashes...

https://infosec.exchange/@SwiftOnSecurity/110778206778534985

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

skipdogg posted:

I thought Apple was making a push into the enterprise space and support was better for hardware service?

I once spent 1/2 a day at the apple store with some VP's Macbook Pro like a long time ago. After that my boss told me if folks wanted a Mac we would not handle the hardware support on it. We bought AppleCare for them, but we're not dealing the Genius bar.

Hardware support has always been the issue for me when I was supporting workstations. Dell would have some dude in my office the next day fixing whatever is broken. Apple had no such service.

Apple is as interested in proper enterprise support on Macs as they are in proper gaming support on Macs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, no. The M1 and beyond laptops I can see for gfx work, but enterprise wise gently caress the whole idea.

Granted, I’m probably a little biased because only assholes have macs at my company.

That reminds me that you can't have more than 1 monitor on a M1 chip and have to do an M1 Pro chip to do 2.

$1400 Macbook can't run dual monitors in TYOOL 2023.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Still no MST support is there, regardless of M2 or not

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

tokin opposition posted:

User is now asking for a laptop done by Monday for user whose info won't be in by Friday

Going to let me coworker "discuss" it before responding but I had to run my first response thru an internal politepost process to get to something that's still on the grumpy side of professional

Coworker responded while I was working another ticket to say yes, again.

:fuckoff:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Remote users get brand new laptops to maximize the warranty (we do a three year cycle). New employees at the main office may get a recycled laptop still under warranty if I have any on hand. When an employee’s laptop warranty expires they get a new one that way they aren’t having to go through a laptop replacement multiple times.
All new employees get brand new monitors right now though as it gives me an opportunity to get rid of legacy equipment that doesn’t support USB C charging. And all keyboard/mice and headsets given out are brand new.

Our onboarding is so hosed earlier this month we had a service tech show up to work who didn’t even sign his offer letter yet and they allowed him to stay and work.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

i am a moron posted:

I’ve never understood the rush in getting people stuff. You could get me all my access and a laptop and a personal assistant and I still won’t do jack poo poo the first month. Or maybe even ever

By any chance, are you looking for an Azure or defense security policy guy?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Potato Salad posted:

By any chance, are you looking for an Azure or defense security policy guy?

I would love to recommend people to my company and have before but we just did layoffs (no, I’m not sure why I still have a job)

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

If a company is managing Macs properly then it's no issue, though I'd argue it's the wrong platform if someone is expected to manage multiple calendars and the company uses Exchange, because Outlook on Mac is balls.

It's when one or two special people get Macs and nothing in the business has been tested to work on them and there are no plans to learn about integrating them, managing them or providing ongoing support that it turns into a poo poo show. You get things like a few C-levels insisting on Apple products and then refusing to buy any for the support team to be able to use to write documentation on or test fixes out with.

Lol, yeah. We have one C-suite who INSISTS on using her iPad for everything. Unfortunately she was kind of grandfathered in from a merger and has been working this way for a long time, so even my boss, who normally puts his foot down about not supporting non-IT-purchased devices, asks us to help her out

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Did some field work today and this was the network setup at the site.

yes, that is a loaded mouse trap.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Vargatron posted:

It’s called an intrusion prevention system :smug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm always intrigued when places have super old Cisco gear installed like that, because of the contrast. Who sold you on that hardware but didn't sell you a wall cabinet? Did an ISP throw it in and forget about it? Maybe the switches come from a central IT budget but how each site deploys them is a free choice. It's an environment that should have some Netgear trash sat it in, and yet we have something that once would have taken a lot of effort to get past someone who has an aversion to spending.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hurry up and get it done with this spare switch sitting on the shelf. I worked manufacturing, I get it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We have a small telecoms building (like less than 20m2) where we have to empty mouse traps routinely. It's a mess. It's also where we've learned something about what colour pigtail mice and rats prefer to eat. Spoiler alert: its often the ones with traffic

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
is it a high school chemistry lab or are you breaking bad as a side hustle

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm always intrigued when places have super old Cisco gear installed like that, because of the contrast. Who sold you on that hardware but didn't sell you a wall cabinet? Did an ISP throw it in and forget about it? Maybe the switches come from a central IT budget but how each site deploys them is a free choice. It's an environment that should have some Netgear trash sat it in, and yet we have something that once would have taken a lot of effort to get past someone who has an aversion to spending.

What gets me is that you have to put those mounting flanges on the switch after you unbox it, so there was clearly some intent to do a wall mount. This was probably a network build out that got derailed during COVID and nobody ever came back to finish it. Or the network switching came out of a different budget string and the network closet got denied.

I'm just deskside support/consulting but I always laugh when I service a call to an off-site and see stuff like this in there.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tokin opposition posted:

is it a high school chemistry lab or are you breaking bad as a side hustle

it's a field lab/service station for agricultural equipment.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vargatron posted:

What gets me is that you have to put those mounting flanges on the switch after you unbox it, so there was clearly some intent to do a wall mount. This was probably a network build out that got derailed during COVID and nobody ever came back to finish it. Or the network switching came out of a different budget string and the network closet got denied.

I'm just deskside support/consulting but I always laugh when I service a call to an off-site and see stuff like this in there.

No, my guess it was a retired switch that used to be in a rack at the home office. I had stacks of retired switches that I had to use in a pinch because a new switch was 4 months out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vargatron posted:

forgive me for blasphemy, but I have no clue why regular office workers would get assigned a Mac because they are loving impossible to get service on. I can understand if you are a dev or in A/V production, but an admin assistant does not need a Macbook Pro to get their job done.

Yes, I'll go above deck to the Captain's Mast so I can receive my forty lashes...

Macs are fine as office computers as long as all the data is online and replacement is a selfservice user flow. If you consider them entirely disposable, they are adequate. The main issue is not having a 15% stock buffer since the fruit stand repairs take a week plus nowadays.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I have a friend of mine whose in the loan officer business and its remarkably poo poo. She wants to pivot to coding/data analytics. I know theres a lot of snakeoil BS coding bootcamps that don't actually work. What are the kind that do?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

macs are good laptops for unix folks because it comes with a proper shell as a default feature and the OS is tightly integrated with the hardware so you don't have to fuss with compatibility like one would get running a linux distro. Granted they've kind of deprecated X11 but it's not a huge chore to get running.

WSL2 is pretty good too but it's not a default part of Windows, you gotta jump through a few hoops to get it going. On a mac you can simply run terminal and off you go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Macs are good because it's the only laptop model you can buy where the battery life isn't awful, or at least unpredictable

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vargatron posted:

This runs a building sized piece of industrial equipment that produces lots of dust, sits at around 140C and enjoys hobbies like "catching on fire."

And yeah, that's a Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24PC. Yes that's water damage on the floor, the room floods regularly. No, all of the open ports do not work due to aforementioned moisture and dust. 3 out of the 12 strands of fiber get enough signal through them to get a 1000SX transceiver to work. It's getting replaced, cabinet and all, but I do love when we find these squirreled away in the dark corners of MCCs.

Industrial networking owns actually.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 27, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would not want to administer an enterprise fleet of Macs, but they are reasonably priced these days, last very well if you take care of them, ship with useful tools of the trade, and IMO still have security advantages of Windows machines. I use all three major platforms but in 2023 I think they are excellent machines.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

JAMF makes it pretty painless imo. Its only annoying if youre working with a few one offs, maybe Apple's new SMB MDM thing makes those cases easier.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Potato Salad posted:

I don't understand hardware approval. At all.

It's a new employee. They need to work. Everything I do is commissioned on the precept that our workers need to work.

Some may question my right to create a purchase order of a few thousands of dollars, but those who truly understand know I have no right to let employees not work :commissar:

Back at the design studio I had someone get upset at a PO for another full Adobe CS license. They asked me who approved it. I said "you did, when you hired one more designer than we have CS licenses."

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

LionYeti posted:

I have a friend of mine whose in the loan officer business and its remarkably poo poo. She wants to pivot to coding/data analytics. I know theres a lot of snakeoil BS coding bootcamps that don't actually work. What are the kind that do?

There's no easy answer for this and no consensus really good boot camps. I would recommend googling local options. What IS a consensus is that boot camp graduates will be look at a bit more skeptically vs. a university degree so the ROI is often unclear or not existent. Keep in mind this is absolutely opposite to what you will see in bootcamp marketing materials.

So I would recommend thinking hard about if that is the preferred path, vs. finding a foot in the door gig that will get her interviewed/offered without additional paid education, especially if she already has a non-STEM university bachelor's degree. That being said, you will find success stories including goons for whom boot camps have worked well, you just have to be careful to not take an exception as the rule.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 27, 2023

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

guppy posted:

I would not want to administer an enterprise fleet of Macs, but they are reasonably priced these days, last very well if you take care of them, ship with useful tools of the trade, and IMO still have security advantages of Windows machines. I use all three major platforms but in 2023 I think they are excellent machines.

My feelings on Macs have flipped 180 from 5-10 years ago - honestly I now prefer them to deploying Windows machines, mostly because as great as Intune is, it's still fiddly and annoying compared to the "imaging" process for Macs (i.e. Apple/DEP takes care of most of that and you're really just configuring MDM for the apps and specific lockdowns etc). We've started using Kandji after trialing both it and Mosyle, and they're both head and shoulders above JAMF in terms of ease of use and more importantly speed of use - I can get in, do things, get out, etc. Setting up Azure login to the Macs was less than five minutes config in both of them, for instance. There are rough edges, sure (Kandji doesn't support using just-in-time privilege elevation using the SAP Privileges app when you're using Azure login to the Macs, though I think that's actually related to Apple's privileges model and how the Azure accounts get setup to work with it).

Kandji's also a fair bit cheaper than JAMF even while coming across as a premium product, and since they're still in startup mode, the support is a dream - actual Mac admins answering quickly with real answers. Naturally if they do grow that'll start to suck like every other company has done (witness Meraki support 8 years ago vs now), but may as well enjoy it while you can. I think JAMF has been the 800-pound gorilla so long in the space that they're gonna get their lunch eaten before they wake up, but even if they do, how do you rearchitect what was a bulky and complicated server product from 2005 that you lift/shifted to the cloud without changing its UX much? While also not pissing off the people who have spent years learning how to deal with its idiosyncrasies.

So yeah these days I'd honestly prefer a fleet of Macs, properly managed. That said it would also help if MS would pull its loving head out of its rear end in completing the "new" store integration in Intune - if I could add apps easily without doing Win32 deployments that would make things a lot faster.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

User submitted a ticket 10 days ago complaining about their laptop having issues, so they're wondering if they could just get a new one. We're out of new laptops at the moment while waiting for our next shipment from Dell to come in, so my coworker asks if he can remote in and investigate instead of just giving the user a brand new laptop because the user hasn't indicated anything that tells us the laptop is hosed and needs to be replaced immediately.

Anyways, user ignores my coworkers request for a time to remote in...and the seven automated messages asking them to reply or else the ticket will be automatically closed. Ticket gets closed after a week by the system because they never bothered to respond back.

Here we are today, two weeks after the initial ticket, new ticket comes in from the same user.

"Hey you guys forgot about me! Where's my new laptop? :haw: "

Cool.
still very pleased with my career change but :lol: at some of this poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tale as old as time, that one. Welcome to the funhouse.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone in sales decided to substitute an item on a proposal because "the guy at the vendor said they were the same and I make better margin on this", so now I'm going to refuse to touch the project and the sales guy can find someone else to do the implementation. I'd have been irritated if I'd been second-guessed and it had just ended with saying "no please order what I asked for" over Teams, but to just proceed all the way through to the point where the hardware has been delivered to a site and tell me nothing about this substitution, lol gently caress off, I have a little bit of self respect and I'm not rolling over for this.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This runs a building sized piece of industrial equipment that produces lots of dust, sits at around 140C and enjoys hobbies like "catching on fire."

And yeah, that's a Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24PC. Yes that's water damage on the floor, the room floods regularly. No, all of the open ports do not work due to aforementioned moisture and dust. 3 out of the 12 strands of fiber get enough signal through them to get a 1000SX transceiver to work. It's getting replaced, cabinet and all, but I do love when we find these squirreled away in the dark corners of MCCs.

Industrial networking owns actually.

OSHA thread bleeding into here.........

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vargatron posted:

That reminds me that you can't have more than 1 monitor on a M1 chip and have to do an M1 Pro chip to do 2.

$1400 Macbook can't run dual monitors in TYOOL 2023.

That’s okay because the assholes I mentioned get whatever costs the most because

*checks notes*

They’re dumb assholes who don’t care about functionality, they care about being able to have a piece of fruit on the back of their screen

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Potato Salad posted:

I don't understand hardware approval. At all.

It's a new employee. They need to work. Everything I do is commissioned on the precept that our workers need to work.

Some may question my right to create a purchase order of a few thousands of dollars, but those who truly understand know I have no right to let employees not work :commissar:

Well, see we offer a choice to the manager, just to be sure they vapor lock and delay as much as possible.
It's not really an approval per se, but it looks like that in the system, and it *does* come out of their cost center.

GreenNight posted:

The issue I had is these stacks of laptops that are less than 1 year old that are used because an employee didnt work out. Are they supposed to be thrown away?

In out case, they store them in the Purchasing Closet of No Return, then dump them all on my desk once or twice a year when they run out of warranty.
I just went through a pile of 30 or 40 MacBook Airs and Pros, mostly ~2018 vintage, but some 2019, a few 2017, one 2016, and one lonely 2020. I've prepped a few as loaners, will be sending a few more out to other locations as loaners, and the rest will be... I don't know. I'll hang on to them until they're like 5 or 6 years old and e-waste them, I guess.
One or two might be e-wasted to my trunk.
Very occasionally they remember they have some laptops and issue them to a new employee or a special need if they're under a year old. They do typically reissue the machine to the fill when a new employee washes out in less than 90 days, at least.

i am a moron posted:

I’ve never understood the rush in getting people stuff. You could get me all my access and a laptop and a personal assistant and I still won’t do jack poo poo the first month. Or maybe even ever

We get managers wanting their new people to be able to access email and poo poo before they actually start, which is 1) illegal, and 2) we don't allow for security reasons. Usually it's the Sales pukes, of course.

GreenNight posted:

This is from years and years ago but it was always a joy getting laptops back like this.

Pathetic.
Level up, scrub:

I've gotten more than a few back like that.
Thankfully, I don't have to clean that one up. Shitstain put a camera shutter on it, which is a bad thing to do on the tight-fitting lids of a MacBook Pro. It ended up at the bottom of the stack and cracked the screen from the pressure. Somehow the only one in the pile that did, though. Another one had a pretty deep ding near the middle of the lid on the outside. Display didn't work on that one, but it was an Air with only 8GB of RAM, so we couldn't really us it anyway (we spec 16GB of RAM, now, solely because Teams is such a pig.)

guppy posted:

I would be upset if I started somewhere and they gave me a used laptop. That's probably bad from a waste reduction standpoint, but people are disgusting and so are their laptops. I realize they're cleaned before being redistributed, but also, are they?

I clean my loaners, but judging by the work of my compatriots at other locations, I'm unique. The users certainly do not. Good Lord.

tehinternet posted:

That’s okay because the assholes I mentioned get whatever costs the most because

*checks notes*

They’re dumb assholes who don’t care about functionality, they care about being able to have a piece of fruit on the back of their screen

Ask me about the fully loaded 2017 27" iMac Pro our idiot CEO (who later got ejected for spending stupid money on stupid things in the office remodel) that he used maybe twice, instead favoring his iPad or a MacBook Air...

edit: found one even more crowded:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 28, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

loving why?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jaegerx posted:

loving why?

I don't know, you tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

johnny park posted:

I don't know, you tell me

jaeger tracing is actually pretty good, actually a company showed me a tool whos name I can't remember right now that you can self host to break down jwt tokens and poo poo so you're not putting them on jwt.com. Does anyone know of that tool, it was cybersomething i think.