Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walked posted:

Coming back to this. This seems is looking at it, 10hrs played already exactly loving on the nose. Thank you.

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I am looking for a game about using deception and persuasion to get into places I'm not supposed to be in and/or acquire things I'm not supposed to have. Bonus points if I get to use disposable identities for it.

Ideally, something more dialogue-heavy than Hitman, less combat oriented than Alpha Protocol, Shadowrun, Fallout and Arcanum, and not as horny as Ladykiller in a Bind. Also single-player, so not Spy Party or EVE Online.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider technically has sneaking into places using disposable identities but it's probably not quite what you were thinking of.

EDIT: Shadows of Doubt, maybe?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I am looking for a game about using deception and persuasion to get into places I'm not supposed to be in and/or acquire things I'm not supposed to have. Bonus points if I get to use disposable identities for it.

Ideally, something more dialogue-heavy than Hitman, less combat oriented than Alpha Protocol, Shadowrun, Fallout and Arcanum, and not as horny as Ladykiller in a Bind. Also single-player, so not Spy Party or EVE Online.

if only...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Earwicker posted:

if only...

Disco Elysium 2 lookin good

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Update: Betrayal at Club Low ended up satisfying that particular urge.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I want to play some more recent games like The Life & Suffering of Sir Brante - narrative driven, doesn't necessarily have to be interactive fiction/a visual novel but I darn sure wanna be reading my butt off, some sort of stat/skill/number-go-up mechanism that lets me unlock different game or story options, multiple routes to take, that kinda thing. here's some other stuff I have played recently in my efforts to find other similar feeling games, none of this in any particular order:

enjoyed a lot:
The Pale Beyond - didn't expect to be that into a survival management kinda game but I ended up playing multiple paths through the story
Suzerain - played this multiple times to see a couple of different sides of everything and felt rewarded for it. can't wait for the DLC that's coming
Pentiment - still playing this, it's dense so I've been taking my time

enjoyed some:
Road 96 - some of the characters were rough and it didn't feel like my actions had any impact on anything at all. the only time a choice seemed like it Mattered was if it was a situation where my current character could die
Roadwarden - this was fine but I wasn't into the story and world enough to keep playing after 4~ hours
Yes, Your Grace - the weekly choices and the interaction with all the other lords were very dry but I really liked the idea of them
Fabled Lands - this is fine but it really feels like I am just clicking through pages of a visual novel more than I am interacting with a story at all
The Bookwalker - nice idea and started off with a lot of steam but I really lost interest in the world and story the more time I spent with it
Astrologaster - really fun and cool game, no real complaints it just ends up being over very quickly

did not enjoy:
I Was a Teenage Exocolonist - the card game got very stale and the I did not have much fun exploring the world. really enjoyed everything else about it
Vagrus - hated the combat system and frankly the level of difficulty/challenge is not really the mood I am looking for right now

some of those games are much more like Brante than others, so I am pretty open to any suggestions. Kings of Dragon Pass and Six Ages are ones I am looking at right now but it sounds like they maybe hit a little too close to the issues I had with Vagrus. thanks folks

edit: I've also played basically all the major narrative cRPGs with the exception of Pathfinder and anything that would have come out in 2020 or later. stuff like Pathologic/Pathologic 2 I even feel like kind of fits what I'm looking for in a game with this post, both of those were rad

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 26, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

I want to play some more recent games like The Life & Suffering of Sir Brante - narrative driven, doesn't necessarily have to be interactive fiction/a visual novel but I darn sure wanna be reading my butt off, some sort of stat/skill/number-go-up mechanism that lets me unlock different game or story options, multiple routes to take, that kinda thing. here's some other stuff I have played recently in my efforts to find other similar feeling games, none of this in any particular order:

enjoyed a lot:
The Pale Beyond - didn't expect to be that into a survival management kinda game but I ended up playing multiple paths through the story
Suzerain - played this multiple times to see a couple of different sides of everything and felt rewarded for it. can't wait for the DLC that's coming

enjoyed some:
Road 96 - some of the characters were rough and it didn't feel like my actions had any impact on anything at all. the only time a choice seemed like it Mattered was if it was a situation where my current character could die
Roadwarden - this was fine but I wasn't into the story and world enough to keep playing after 4~ hours
Yes, Your Grace - the weekly choices and the interaction with all the other lords were very dry but I really liked the idea of them
Fabled Lands - this is fine but it really feels like I am just clicking through pages of a visual novel more than I am interacting with a story at all
The Bookwalker - nice idea and started off with a lot of steam but I really lost interest in the world and story the more time I spent with it
Astrologaster - really fun and cool game, no real complaints it just ends up being over very quickly

did not enjoy:
I Was a Teenage Exocolonist - the card game got very stale and the I did not have much fun exploring the world. really enjoyed everything else about it
Vagrus - hated the combat system and frankly the level of difficulty/challenge is not really the mood I am looking for right now

some of those games are much more like Brante than others, so I am pretty open to any suggestions. Kings of Dragon Pass and Six Ages are ones I am looking at right now but it sounds like they maybe hit a little too close to the issues I had with Vagrus. thanks folks

Disco Elysium

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thank you, Disco Elysium was great - I'll add I've also played all of the big story centric cRPGs (Planescape, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Shadowrun, KotoR, Fallouts, etc)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

Tin Star
Sabres of Infinity/Guns of Infinity/Lords of Infinity
Fallen London
Long Live the Queen

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

thank you, Disco Elysium was great - I'll add I've also played all of the big story centric cRPGs (Planescape, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Shadowrun, KotoR, Fallouts, etc)

Open Sorcery
Unavowed, maybe

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 26, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

How about a CYOA?

Fallen Hero was loving amazing. There are two books/games out now, the third one is on it's way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

enjoyed a lot:

enjoyed some:

did not enjoy:

edit: I've also played basically all the major narrative cRPGs with the exception of Pathfinder and anything that would have come out in 2020 or later. stuff like Pathologic/Pathologic 2 I even feel like kind of fits what I'm looking for in a game with this post, both of those were rad

KoDP isn't "hard" per se, it's very good and you should try it. Also try Pathfinder.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mainly it's just very obtuse and you might have to keep your own notes on details.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aye Doc posted:

enjoyed a lot:

enjoyed some:

did not enjoy:

Citizen Sleeper

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Aye Doc posted:

I want to play some more recent games like The Life & Suffering of Sir Brante - narrative driven, doesn't necessarily have to be interactive fiction/a visual novel but I darn sure wanna be reading my butt off, some sort of stat/skill/number-go-up mechanism that lets me unlock different game or story options, multiple routes to take, that kinda thing. here's some other stuff I have played recently [...]

You may want to take a look at The Age of Decadence. Some weird roman republic like universe with added fantasy elements, neatly cut into chapters each one with its own stories and endings, and where character class/skills dictate a lot of things. Like, if you make a smooth diplomat, you'll pretty much never ever win a fight, and the game will mostly feel like playing a choose-your-own-adventure book. If you want to be able to fight, there's a neat combat system, but you kinda have to go all in in 1) understanding how it works and 2) spend a lot of points in the combat skills you want to use. For non-combat skills, challenges have a difficulty. If your related skill matches/exceeds the difficulty, you pass, if not, you fail. So each point you invest directly opens up story options. The starting class is also your backstory, giving you information, objectives and base relationships with multiple factions. All this means that it's utterly impossible to see/understand everything in a single playthrough, and there are plenty of stories interlinked, as well as many endings. Depending on your choices, some entire map areas may be completely inaccessible, with their quests and alternative solutions to some of the problems you'll be facing.

It's a janky little rpg, but it absolutely oozes atmosphere and the setting is pretty unique.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 26, 2023

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Aye Doc posted:

enjoyed a lot:

enjoyed some:

did not enjoy:

A lot of these have already been stated, but I'll add my votes:

Golden Treasure: The Great Green--a CYOA about a young dragon growing up in a fantasy Bronze Age ish time. This is a hidden gem that I can't stop recommending to people.

Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies--set in Fallen London, explore the sea or the skies in its sequel. A mix of exploration, CYOA, a little trading, a little combat, a lot of RPG.

A House of Many Doors--very similar in style to Sunless Sea and made by a now employee of the studio as a solo project. If you liked Sunless Sea it's worth checking out. A little lower in production quality but just as good in story IMO.

Sabres/Guns/Lords of Infinity--a well written CYOA about a fantasy Victorian era cavalry officer. Lead a small squad of horse, get promoted, lead a company of horse, get promoted again / also inherit your country barony / deal with intrigue and politics in the capital upon your return as the equivalent of a member of Parliament. Each game lets you import a save game from the previous in the series, so lots of opportunities for your RPG stats to matter.

King of Dragon Pass / Six Ages--I agree that these aren't hard per se, but they're not necessarily easy. You still owe it to yourself to play them; they're classics for a reason. Guide your fantasy tribe through challenging times in a unique fantasy world with its own mythology and magic mechanics. Easy to get into, easy to win a minor victory, hard to do everything right.

Citizen Sleeper--you're a runaway robot slave, and you need to lay low and survive (and maybe thrive?) in a backwater spacestation in a backwater starsystem. This one is a little on the hard side due to its mechanics. It really wants you to feel the struggle to survive. But it's worth it for the writing.

Maybe A Legionary's Life? A CYOA with RPG stats about a Roman legionary. Buff up, stat up, survive the campaign, maybe get promoted? Not walls and walls of text but it's good and one of the few games I played through to get every achievement.

Maybe Pathologic / Pathologic 2? Not a CYOA but a walking simulator / survival game but with light combat set about surviving a plague in a unique and mystical Russian steppe town at the turn of the 20th century. Play as one of three characters, the Bachelor (a doctor), the Haruspex (a mystic surgeon), and the Mystress (a miracle healer) each with their own intertwined main plot often at ends with the others. Pathologic 2 is a more modern remake with only the Haruspex.

Maybe West of Loathing? Sort of a CYOA and RPG set in a silly Wild West with the trademark dry humor of the Kingdom of Loathing people.

Also out of curiosity what didn't you like about Roadwarden? I really enjoyed its world.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Aye Doc posted:

enjoyed a lot:

enjoyed some:

did not enjoy:

Of the ones mentioned so far, seconding Long Live the Queen and Open Sorcery. If you liked everything about Teenage Exocolonist but the card game and exploring the world, LLTQ is a good fit, gameplay-wise. Keep in mind that it's a LOT less forgiving than Exocolonist, though, so be ready to savescum like crazy. I'd say that overall the plot and characters aren't quite as gripping as in Exo either, but some of the story branches in LLTQ go bugfuck wild, so ymmv. Open Sorcery is entirely text based and not too long but it's a solid, self-contained story with some branching. Might take you a couple of hours to get all the achievements, but I found it pretty engaging and it's quite cheap.

If you've been enjoying Pentiment, you might like The Pillars of the Earth. It also painstakingly recreates medieval (or early renaissance, whatever, same difference) village life with some mysteries and intrigue, though Pillars is much more standard point-and-click adventure, gameplay-wise. You play as multiple characters over several years.

Something I often recommend to people who liked Suzerain, even though it's a bit of a deep cut, is Hidden Agenda. It's from 1988 and it shows, but it covers similar ground as a nation sim where everything and everyone's against you. It does without the personal storyline stuff, though, if that appealed to you.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

exquisite tea posted:

Citizen Sleeper

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I recently lucked into a job where I get to spend a lot of the sitting alone at a desk with nobody bothering me (afternoon/evening shift security guard at corporate office) and I need something to pass the time. My boss has said that he doesn't care if I'm on my laptop as long as it's not super obvious I'm playing a game and it can quickly and easily be set aside the moment someone comes up to the desk, so any game needs to be something that I can easily set down and then pick up again in a few minutes; nothing real time or with QTEs or the like, and something I can play with the sound off or very low.

Also my laptop isn't particularly strong: it can run Stardew Valley okay but Rimworld was too much, although that might be because of the 150 mods. Currently I've been doing Fallout Shelter to pass some of the time, but it's designed for 15-20 minute sessions every 24 hours unless you want to do micro-transactions. I saw the replies to Aye Doc's post above and will definitely be checking some of those games out, too!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For low-spec turn-based stuff you should try some oldschool dungeon-crawlerish roguelikes like Caves of Qud, Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, or Cogmind.
Maybe give Creeper World 3/4 a try? Not exactly turn based but they're slow-paced real-time-with-pause TD games about building up your tower defences to slowly push back an ocean of living goo (which for ??? reasons is weak to getting shot).

Also maybe check out some map-painting games? Crusader Kings II is free.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Good suggestions, but I don't know if I can go back to CK2 after I've been playing CK3.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The old Civilization games are my go-to for that particular use case. Mostly 4 but even 2 is still pretty fun and opens/closes instantaneously, much less alt+tabbing.

The sports management sims, Football Manager and Out of the Park Baseball, are also real good for that if you care about sports at all. They run super slow on substandard hardware though.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If you like tactical battles and squad management, Battle Brothers is real-time with pause on the world map, and otherwise fully turn based. It shouldn't be too taxing harware-wise either.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

I recently lucked into a job where I get to spend a lot of the sitting alone at a desk with nobody bothering me (afternoon/evening shift security guard at corporate office) and I need something to pass the time. My boss has said that he doesn't care if I'm on my laptop as long as it's not super obvious I'm playing a game and it can quickly and easily be set aside the moment someone comes up to the desk, so any game needs to be something that I can easily set down and then pick up again in a few minutes; nothing real time or with QTEs or the like, and something I can play with the sound off or very low.

Also my laptop isn't particularly strong: it can run Stardew Valley okay but Rimworld was too much, although that might be because of the 150 mods. Currently I've been doing Fallout Shelter to pass some of the time, but it's designed for 15-20 minute sessions every 24 hours unless you want to do micro-transactions. I saw the replies to Aye Doc's post above and will definitely be checking some of those games out, too!

Deadly Rooms Of Death
Creeper World

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I love Loop Hero for this. Works fine on my potato laptop.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Slay the spire fits into that as well

I sadly cannot recommend sleeping dogs in this instance :(

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

drat that was a lot of suggestions, thanks for everyone who recommended something to me.

Cantorsdust posted:

Also out of curiosity what didn't you like about Roadwarden? I really enjoyed its world.

I realized at a point that I wasn't reading any of the text with anticipation for what was come and I said nah I'm good. this happened once about 2 hours in, I took a couple days break then tried again and the same thing happened but just a little further in to my exploring. folks were starting to trust me enough to progress things but I just did not care about what would be next and moved on

also since you recommended me a few other games I've played - Pathologic/2 both are incredible, if they dropped the Bachelor's route for P2 tomorrow that would basically be all I need in a video game right now. A Legionary's Life started fun but I did not enjoy the combat and nothing else about it was good enough to overcome it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

If you like x-com style games then the original (1994) version is very low weight and still actively being developed with a good-sized modding scene: OpenXcom. The X-Com Files mod is a good entry with only being slightly harder but much more content packed than unmodded.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Moon Slayer posted:

OpenRCT (or the regular roller coaster tycoons but honestly the open source version is way better)

KeeperRL: sort of a low res Dungeon Keeper. It’s pretty explicitly turn based but runs in real time except in combat, so good for taking breaks.

Might and Magic- Clash of Heroes: really good for this use case since it is turn based and has zero graphical requirements. Also pretty straightforward gameplay so it’s ok if you go away and come back

Dungeon Warfare 1/2: Tower defense, so easy to pause between waves

Heat Signature maybe?: real time, but you can constantly pause to work out your next move. One of my favorites

Wildermyth: turn based game where you control a party through a campaign. Cool procedural story stuff. In similar ish veins, Pit People or For the King.

Polybridge (tons of version): probably the best of a certain type of bridge building game.

Project Highrise: basically SimTower, super low requirements and you can run it in the background

Cursed to Golf: a golfing roguelite, which naturally lends itself to a lot of breaks.

Return of the Obra Dinn: I guess real time, but mostly it’s just you sitting there thinking about wtf is going on to solve this murder

Bitburner: only if you like programming recreationally. Is a semi idle game with the benefit of just looking like you’re typing

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

Sounds like an ideal time to get into roguelikes (Caves of Qud, DCSS, ToME, Cogmind, Zorbus, etc.)

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Check out Endless Sky, it is a freeware game on steam that is reminiscent of old school escape velocity. The whole story is text and you’re not missing anything with the sound off.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

FTL
Into the Breach
Party Hard
Project Highrise
Plants Vs. Zombies
Kingdom

You might also find a lot of gems just looking through old games on GoG. I still really like Theme Hospital and Startopia.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Moon Slayer posted:

Somewhat left field suggestion, but Dicey Dungeons should work on pretty much any machine, doesn't require sound to play, can be picked up and put down at any moment, and is also super fun.

It also regularly goes on sale on Steam.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Normally, I'm drawn to games that are mechanically or narratively dense & demanding (playing Signalis rn, having a great time), but owing to circumstances lately I have frequent stretches where I completely lack the cognitive & emotional bandwidth to engage with that kind of experience. So right now, I'm looking for a game to help weather those periods, something light & largely narrative-free where I can just sort of vibe and idk push around some shapes or something until my strength returns... I don't have a very clear idea of what I'm looking for exactly, maybe a light puzzle game? But I'm open to just try various things, maybe one of you is also familiar with this experience and could recommend something?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wilmont's Warehouse is pretty good for moving around cubes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Terry van Feleday posted:

Normally, I'm drawn to games that are mechanically or narratively dense & demanding (playing Signalis rn, having a great time), but owing to circumstances lately I have frequent stretches where I completely lack the cognitive & emotional bandwidth to engage with that kind of experience. So right now, I'm looking for a game to help weather those periods, something light & largely narrative-free where I can just sort of vibe and idk push around some shapes or something until my strength returns... I don't have a very clear idea of what I'm looking for exactly, maybe a light puzzle game? But I'm open to just try various things, maybe one of you is also familiar with this experience and could recommend something?

Bejeweled 3 on Endless mode, maybe? It's all of $5 on Steam.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Moon Slayer posted:

Into The Breach if you have any interest whatsoever in tactics games. Some incredibly creative units to use and it makes you feel like a genius when you pull it off, it can be tough but always fair. Turn-based and each battle is short too.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Recommendations for games that can be played entirely with the left hand? I have a Steam Deck, PC (keyboard/mouse), and lots of handhelds, old and new.

I have an issue with my right hand where it goes numb and becomes painful when using a mouse or a keyboard, or a regular controller. It's a bummer.

iPad games seem like they would work, probably. (baldur's gate enhanced, etc)

Vampire Survivors also comes to mind.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Ideally something that doesn't use a right hand at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
We're going a long way back here and maybe into a genre not of interest to you, but believe it or not, EarthBound was designed to be completely playable with your left hand only.