Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

these stupid fucks are still making the same mistakes, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

the poles enter the war!

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

also gonna take a victory lap and say i called the counteroffensive objectives in april to uphold my armchair generaling credentials :smuggo:

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1684501236509294594?s=20

Actually fits with my theory/guess that Russia is ready to give up in September. So Ukraine wants to take Crimea before that.

*I could also be 100% wrong and still be sort of right here.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

The comedic timing of the pole falling on top of the helicopter is impeccable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Flavahbeast posted:

the poles enter the war!

:golfclap:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

HonorableTB posted:

also gonna take a victory lap and say i called the counteroffensive objectives in april to uphold my armchair generaling credentials :smuggo:

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1684501236509294594?s=20
Is his map implying that once Ukraine takes Melitopol, they'll go straight to Crimea? I thought Ukraine would just set up artillery to hit Crimea

Also who is this guy? Is he part of the counteroffensive or just some guy from Ukraine

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

William Bear posted:

More innocent days :(.

My favourite detail is that he asks for vodka and one of the girls brings him a sort of decanter that holds probably 750-1000ml, which he proceeds to drink straight out of, ignoring the girls who brought paltry full glasses.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

hydroceramics posted:

The comedic timing of the pole falling on top of the helicopter is impeccable.

Big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYCfDDuNnc

vibes

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Is his map implying that once Ukraine takes Melitopol, they'll go straight to Crimea? I thought Ukraine would just set up artillery to hit Crimea

Also who is this guy? Is he part of the counteroffensive or just some guy from Ukraine

He's quoting from the New York Times, but he's a Ukrainian military analyst that posts a lot of really good map info

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

HonorableTB posted:

He's quoting from the New York Times, but he's a Ukrainian military analyst that posts a lot of really good map info

I saw that he quoted it from NYT, but I was wondering who he was because I'd he was a part of the Ukranian army and started talking about Ukraine's plans then he'd be in poo poo.

Also, is it just me or does 1-3 weeks seem like a really short time to get to Melitopol? It feels overly optimistic

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

Ukraine War : super tsar destroyer

:vince:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

NihilCredo posted:

My favourite detail is that he asks for vodka and one of the girls brings him a sort of decanter that holds probably 750-1000ml, which he proceeds to drink straight out of, ignoring the girls who brought paltry full glasses.

The comments of the video say that the subtitles aren't fully accurate. For example, Ukrainian speakers say that he actually asked for water. I don't know either way.

I just love seeing the gopnik get humiliated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NihilCredo posted:

He asks for water.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

I saw that he quoted it from NYT, but I was wondering who he was because I'd he was a part of the Ukranian army and started talking about Ukraine's plans then he'd be in poo poo.

Also, is it just me or does 1-3 weeks seem like a really short time to get to Melitopol? It feels overly optimistic

The time line is going to entirely depend on where and when Ukraine cracks the Russian lines.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
"I ruined the helicopter."
"You did, you really did."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_EKHGgWJQ

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Вода water, водка Vodka. It's an easy mixup, but important!

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Yakutsk is a long way from the front lines. I'm kinda surprised they're keeping military equipment in those remote places.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

I saw this on Facebook and thought this would be the best place for it

:ironicat:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

GundamHealer posted:

:laffo:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Yakutsk is a long way from the front lines. I'm kinda surprised they're keeping military equipment in those remote places.

They have to keep a certain amount of helis etc for the border guards and rosgvardia has tis own displacement of helis. It may be lower than usual but they need a dozen transport plans to rapidly deploy if a local gang tried to take a village(soon).

Helis are also good for the local heads of government or military to escape the violence that will be coming sooner than later.

I mean Wagner shot down like 5 helicopters in 24 hours so they exist and are used. But they are limited.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GundamHealer posted:

They should do a collab with Hersh

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am not the living embodiment of war but if Russia withdrew everywhere but Crimea that would enable Ukraine to focus all its firepower on its super tsar destroyer instead so why would that work? Granted, why would anything work at this point
lol

Putin is Darth Invader, Prigozhin is Boba Fettish

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They have to keep a certain amount of helis etc for the border guards and rosgvardia has tis own displacement of helis. It may be lower than usual but they need a dozen transport plans to rapidly deploy if a local gang tried to take a village(soon).

Helis are also good for the local heads of government or military to escape the violence that will be coming sooner than later.

I mean Wagner shot down like 5 helicopters in 24 hours so they exist and are used. But they are limited.

They still have a lot of older helis on the home front. What they're unable to replace in any reasonable quantity are Ka-52s.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

They should do a collab with Hersh

You know, I never knew much about him and had recently read The Samson Option which was realllly loving good but now I wonder just how much was anything approaching true

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
This thread is the Ewok Christmas Special

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

They still have a lot of older helis on the home front. What they're unable to replace in any reasonable quantity are Ka-52s.

Definitely, the 52's are irreplaceable.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I can't find it offhand but someone please find and post the pre-2014 recruitment ad video for the Ukrainian Army that portrays being a soldier as the easiest way to get laid so join up today and then compare it to the recruitment videos we're seeing now

It's a super stark contrast and shows how much Ukraine has changed as a country and people because of what started in Crimea

https://youtu.be/tJKFNPGS_XM

Yeah it’s a little bit different.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Learn intellectual self-defense from a guy who is sundowning and thinks it's 2003

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Toxic Mental posted:

Learn intellectual self-defense from a guy who is sundowning and thinks it's 2003

what year it is is irrelevant, history has ended :rolleye:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

zone posted:

A lot of the older helicopters have been out of service for decades. You know what ages worse than a tank parked in a field with no maintenance? A helicopter parked in a field with no maintenance.

Even a bunch of older Ka-52's may be useless at this point except as lawn ornaments - like the ones the dude blew up on the airbase last year.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://t.me/V_Zelenskiy_official/7141

Staromaiorske has been liberated.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

Every bit helps, plus it's very funny!

They also seem to be parking BMPs in convenient groups. so that's also nice

GundamHealer posted:

You know, I never knew much about him and had recently read The Samson Option which was realllly loving good but now I wonder just how much was anything approaching true
I only know of him from My Lai so would've assumed he's legit. Maybe that experience traumatized him so much to break his brain, I dunno.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

what year it is is irrelevant, history has ended :rolleye:

i hate francis fukuyama so goddamn much

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Hersh started to lose his mind about 10ish years ago, when he had some... alternative explanations about the deployment of nerve gas in Syria.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HonorableTB posted:

It wasn't a new idea. I read "serious thinkers" expressing the same idea...in 1913.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Constipated posted:

Haven't checked this thread in like 2 weeks, what's up with Girkin?

Someone in the FSB finally got around to reading his Harry Potter fanfic and he has been arrested.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

HonorableTB posted:

How can you hate the most wrong person in history? It's adorable.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fukuyama memes rule

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

How can you hate the most wrong person in history? It's adorable.

I hate that he was wrong :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

He's horribly misquoted, he's not even saying it's the end of history in the book, he's saying that's what leaders in the Neo Liberal order thought was happening.

He calls out the naivete in the Neoliberal world order several times.