Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gotta think you don’t become a buyer unless you think there’s a decent chance Trout will be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MrMojok posted:

So do the Angels have a chance of doing anything at all in the postseason? Is Trout supposed to be back by then?

Or should I be laughed out of the thread for asking both questions

Honestly if we are healthy we can play with anyone in a 7-game series, starting Ohtani, Giolito, and Sandoval

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MrMojok posted:

So do the Angels have a chance of doing anything at all in the postseason? Is Trout supposed to be back by then?

Ohtani/Gio/Detmers/Sandoval is a decent postseason rotation.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I gotta think you don’t become a buyer unless you think there’s a decent chance Trout will be back.

He'll be back, apparently it's pain management which is not a great sign but at least they can do something to help that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Ohtani/Gio/Detmers/Sandoval is a decent postseason rotation.

I'd love to have O'Hoppe back which I don't know if that's possible. Urshela is gone for the year, but Zach Neto looks like he's just fine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

Ohtani shouldn’t sign with the cheating and rear end in a top hat Astros who just threw a bench clearing fit because they were being beat too bad.

The timeline of how it all went down is kinda wild. Semien was mad that he felt he got beaned in retaliation for Yordan getting hit, then later in the game when he hit a HR off the same pitcher he stared him down while circling the bases and Maldonado got salty about it. Maldonado also apparently at some point mocked Semien when he was at the plate that things would be just like when he was with the A's, presumably referring to the multiple division victories and WC game win the Astros enjoyed over the A's while Semien was there. Then later when the granny was hit Semien was one of the guys on base and as he came around to score he did like a skip jump motion onto home, which Maldonado took as disrespectful and they were already getting into it by the time the guy who actually hit the HR came around to score.

tl;dr not gonna lie Maldonado sounds like a huge baby bitch.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Maldonado sucks but baseball players love that poo poo. Astros probably going to win 10 in a row now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Ohtani just pitched a 1 hit CGSO. I cannot wait for him to be a Cub.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

0-5 at the plate? What a bum! Rangers will sign him at a discount.

Ok well now in game 2 of the double header he's already hit 2 home runs...

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sydin posted:

The timeline of how it all went down is kinda wild. Semien was mad that he felt he got beaned in retaliation for Yordan getting hit, then later in the game when he hit a HR off the same pitcher he stared him down while circling the bases and Maldonado got salty about it. Maldonado also apparently at some point mocked Semien when he was at the plate that things would be just like when he was with the A's, presumably referring to the multiple division victories and WC game win the Astros enjoyed over the A's while Semien was there. Then later when the granny was hit Semien was one of the guys on base and as he came around to score he did like a skip jump motion onto home, which Maldonado took as disrespectful and they were already getting into it by the time the guy who actually hit the HR came around to score.

tl;dr not gonna lie Maldonado sounds like a huge baby bitch.

Maldy does suck please suspend him for the remainder of the season Rob

in all seriousness, he was overreacting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

you’ve seen enough Dodgers Octobers to know that any team has a chance in the postseason, just gotta get there

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No Safe Word posted:

Maldy does suck please suspend him for the remainder of the season Rob

in all seriousness, he was overreacting

Yes please

Baseball player gets angry over minor sleight isn't a new story but any excuse to get Dusty to stop leaning on Maldy even though he's regressing defensively now

e: edited out the mean thing

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 28, 2023

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Ohtani shouldn't join the Astros because 'Bohtani' sounds really bad when he joins the Killer B's after retiring.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Fans just want what they want when they want it and don’t care about any of that because they’re toddlers.

I don’t think you have to be a toddler to want one of the best players in the game on your team, especially when he can fill three evergreen gaps your team has/had this year (OF, Starter, Offense) really well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If the Angels want to actually win they need more offense, they started Trey Cabbage today

I know they lead mlb in HR but like 33% of that is Ohtani and Trout

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If the Angels want to actually win they need more offense, they started Trey Cabbage today

Holy poo poo did not realize Trey Cabbage was not only still in baseball, but made the majors.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/mlbdeadlinenews/status/1684704730419720192?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Sound the alarm

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Milovan Drecun posted:

Holy poo poo did not realize Trey Cabbage was not only still in baseball, but made the majors.

Not only that he actually played well in the 1st game of the double header

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Milovan Drecun posted:

Hopefully he gets paid someday so we can get a good headline

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The more I think about it, the more I think Arte’s best shot at retaining Ohtani now is a deep postseason run this year.

If they can sneak into the 6 seed and make a Phillies style run, he might be like “my brothers, we were so close! I must return so that we can finish the job!” Most players probably don’t have a good feel for FO and player development differences across franchises unless they’ve been on a bunch of different teams.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

bawfuls posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think Arte’s best shot at retaining Ohtani now is a deep postseason run this year.

If they can sneak into the 6 seed and make a Phillies style run, he might be like “my brothers, we were so close! I must return so that we can finish the job!” Most players probably don’t have a good feel for FO and player development differences across franchises unless they’ve been on a bunch of different teams.

Also a billion dollars

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Also a billion dollars

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

He’d really fill a gap for the Yanks but I have no clue how they’d get him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

He’d really fill a gap for the Yanks but I have no clue how they’d get him.

They should do anything they can to get him. He's not a one year rental and they need lefty power badly.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Ohtani has signed in Saudi Arabia for $Mbappe

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

That makes no sense. They traded a now top 5 prospect and two other good young players for Soto and they're not going to get their money's worth?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He wouldn't be starting if it weren't for the double header and spreading guys around. It sure would be nice to have Trout and O'Hoppe back and healthy hopefully sometime in the second half of August.

Still feeling bad for Walsh and hopefully he is able to turn things around with a new team if someone picks him up. He absolutely raked in 2020 and the first half of 2021. Then he had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery and is suffering from what people speculate is long covid. Constant migraines, insomnia, vertigo, etc.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

live with fruit posted:

That makes no sense. They traded a now top 5 prospect and two other good young players for Soto and they're not going to get their money's worth?

It’s possible they’re hitting the upper limit on their spending and they’re trying to recoup prospects to reload with the other locked in deals they’ve got on the roster

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

live with fruit posted:

I've heard that their stars don't all get along.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I've heard that their stars don't all get along.

I did notice that Martinez did not look very into plunking Suwinski yesterday.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ONE BILLION DOLLARS

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i know it's been relatively quiet, but my feeling is that we could be in for a pretty insane DEAL ZONE

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1684739576332521474?s=20

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I thought that was a red dickbutt until I zoomed in

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Milovan Drecun posted:

Trey Cabbage had 3 RBI today, he looks just fine in the 6 or 7 slot.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress the cardinals.

lmao

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Huh you'd think Cardinals fans would be terrified of the black parade.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

miles mikolas looks like a missouri sheriff's deputy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Gorman Thomas posted:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gorman Thomas posted:

:golfclap: