Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

One of my favorite historical tidbits is a letter from an ancient Egyptian to his friend that's along the lines of "My dude, I don't know what argument you and your wife had, but please apologize already. She's crashing with us and she's eating all of our food."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Byzantine posted:

and she's eating all of our food."

I bet that's what they were fighting about in the first place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, yeah exactly, that's WHY you study history, to learn why people did things back then. And when you learn they're just like us, with bad copper and arguments with their wives, you can understand. And apply those lessons toward our own future.

Studying history because you think it's like a storybook full of invulnerable superheroes is deranged

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Read After Burning posted:

For context on the doll:
https://twitter.com/benryanwriter/status/1661832600942440448

What is the walrus thing mentioned in the shop description? I assume some stupid right-wing meme?

Edit: Wait, he was the one who wrote the transphobic walrus kids book, wasn't he? :doh:

He's the one who did that whole bullshit "what is a woman" movie that Elon so graciously streamed for free on Twitter

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I mean, yeah exactly, that's WHY you study history, to learn why people did things back then. And when you learn they're just like us, with bad copper and arguments with their wives, you can understand. And apply those lessons toward our own future.

Studying history because you think it's like a storybook full of invulnerable superheroes is deranged

Fascists and racists usually are deranged, yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

One of the worst takes about history ever written.

Let me tell you, historians tend to love terrible people in history because they're interesting to study.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a massively popular tv show about the life of Henry the VIII. And it wasn't because everyone thinks he was a cool dude.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

That guy's just probably really mad Spartans were factually, historically losers, because their ideas about lifestyle appeal to his simplistic worldview and he can't cope with the fact they were terribly, shatteringly wrong.

EDIT: Like you can probably say some poo poo about all the ancient Greek city-states and societies but as far as I understand it the Spartans have the unique distinction of having thrown everything else out to try and focus entirely on martial discipline and warfare and then failed to succeed in that, which, oops!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

People who want all their history, stories, movies, etc, to cater to their whims are babies, in essence. And like babies they throw a tantrum when they don't get their way.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

MysticalMachineGun posted:

People who want all their history, stories, movies, etc, to cater to their whims are babies, in essence. And like babies they throw a tantrum when they don't get their way.

wrong, all media should be woke and gay

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/RepJohnRose/status/1684293515038138370

I wonder how John met his wife. :thunk:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Rockman Reserve posted:

one of my really really good friends from high school lives in Japan and translates genderqueer novels and manga and stuff for a living, there really is some good stuff out there

I think it's because Japan is known for having conformity baked into its national Identidy, LGBTQ communities don't exist outside of fetish settings.

It doesn't cross their minds that Japan has its own Queer communities with their own fights for respect.

I remember someone on Twitter posted a research book about the history of Yaoi and it mentioned how exposure to Queer stories could lead women to consider life without a family or even transgenderism.

And how unwitting exposure to queer content is sexual harrasment towards stright people.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
While you’re dropping your historical fun facts, we have an actual thread for that: PYF Historical Fun Facts

It’s my current “thread I recently discovered and am binging on”.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that even a thing in the first place? Are fewer students interested in history now?

Going by nothing but my gut but it sounds like BS

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I like that they put the x logo at the top right of the xeets. Very good design choice.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
<after 40+ years of calling humanities a waste of time and refusing to hire anyone who isn't a loving STEMlord> why does nobody want to study history anymore????

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
As someone with a Bachelor's in History, I loving love terrible people in history.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I feel like that person cares less about the nuances of history and is more upset that historians don't think his european heritage makes him the master race

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cocaine Bear posted:

I like that they put the x logo at the top right of the xeets. Very good design choice.

He's a master of computers and is going to change the way people think of an 'x' in the top right corner of applications.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What an utterly bizarre take. Do you need to idolize something to study it? History being full of lovely people and situations makes it interesting.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

credburn posted:

I play that goofy Mario Kart Switch game on it

Lol, holy poo poo. 10/10

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Everyone in history that is interesting to study are pieces of poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. You hear about this jerk who died for your sins?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

oldpainless posted:

no please elaborate in great detail

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If your whole thing is vibes over facts you probably wouldn't make a great historian anyway so when you back out because not enough lip service is being given to Great Man Theory nobody's really losing out on your contributions.

PetraCore posted:

That guy's just probably really mad Spartans were factually, historically losers, because their ideas about lifestyle appeal to his simplistic worldview and he can't cope with the fact they were terribly, shatteringly wrong.
That's literally his followup tweet so yes he's baked Spartans into some projected concept of perfect right wing masculinity and he's mad that people are saying they were bad. Or gay.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

oldpainless posted:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

oldpainless posted:

There was this guy who used to give me money to jerk for my sins but he went to jail :(

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

oldpainless posted:

Did he stay dead?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I mean, It's basically just Jesus giving us an out because the rules his father put down were bullshit. Dying for our sins is basically just "Look, it's fine, you can't help being jealous or horny, He literally wired you that way. Just don't get weird about it and we're good now. K?"

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Lol dunno if this was just a geuss or informed, but yeah

So he was born in 65, she graduated high school in 2007(born in ‘90?)
Married in 2011 which would make him 46 and her 21-ish at that time

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Being Catholic and French, Caviziel embodies the worst traits of humanity

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Caviezel gave us "Person of Interest" though

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Broken clock, etc.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It is possible to become a reformed Catholic. Dunno if you can ever escape being a "French Fry (funny American name for French people.)"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Lol dunno if this was just a geuss or informed, but yeah

So he was born in 65, she graduated high school in 2007(born in ‘90?)
Married in 2011 which would make him 46 and her 21-ish at that time

Also, he awarded her a scholarship while she was in high school.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

rydiafan posted:

Also, he awarded her a scholarship while she was in high school.

:lol:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

oldpainless posted:

https://twitter.com/chris_notcapn/status/1452924181549654017?t=x38P7lKTaVZsVUaFWsuZ5g&s=19

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

dudes rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Just FYI all this info comes from QAnon Anonymous Episode 143: Enter the Cavortex. I’ve seen multiple accounts post these exact same notes without giving credit where it’s due.